So, why is it called a derp-gun?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Shaviv #1 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 15:54

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2155 battles
It looks to me like any stubby large-bore HE-favoring cannon (with associated low penetration and high damage) is a derp gun. But why is it called that? Is it just that it looks really silly to sloooowly roll up your 50+ ton tank to within spitting range of a target,and then unload a one-shot can of whupass? Or does it relate to the sound effect, what?

carpetbob #2 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 15:59

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3962 battles
  • [TCFB] TCFB
I always thought its called a derp gun since, normally they are highly inaccurate, take forever to reload, but when you hit it does tons of damage. Kinda like your not meant to hit, but when you do its sort of a derp moment cause everything dies.

NinjaFisT #3 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 16:00

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 10183 battles
  • [VETS] VETS
It's because it makes the tank look derpy... or I think that's it... Idk, I always called it the troll gun because you think you can take him on, but then he one shots you back to your garage. Basically, I see it as a troll face on the tank in the kill cam. :D

Zakume #4 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 16:01

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 29980 battles
Its term comes from internet trolls who derive its meaning from the sound a mentally challenged person who supposedly makes this sound. They call it a derp gun because its kind of stupid how strong it is, yet its very impractical. At least thats my take on why they call it that, or something along those lines.

Black_Bellamy #5 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 16:03

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 24489 battles
Derp means stupid and retarded and that's what the gun is.

Shaviv #6 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 16:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2155 battles

View PostBlack_Bellamy, on Jun 13 2011 - 16:03, said:

Derp means stupid and retarded and that's what the gun is.
What's retarded about a short-ranged monster gun, though? Nobody's going to talk down to a meltagun or an AC/20, for similar examples from other games (short-ranged, not terribly accurate, murderous against armor).

DJive #7 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 16:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 1062 battles

View PostZakume, on Jun 13 2011 - 16:01, said:

Its term comes from internet trolls who derive its meaning from the sound a mentally challenged person who supposedly makes this sound. They call it a derp gun because its kind of stupid how strong it is, yet its very impractical. At least thats my take on why they call it that, or something along those lines.

View PostShaviv, on Jun 13 2011 - 16:04, said:

What's retarded about a short-ranged monster gun, though? Nobody's going to talk down to a meltagun or an AC/20, for similar examples from other games (short-ranged, not terribly accurate, murderous against armor).

IE a DERP GUN is a gun that is so stupidity strong that even a retard person can use it and get kills. Doesn't take much skill, strategy or talent to get kills with a DERP gun, just point, fire and DERP!!!11 another unearned kill.

*I hate using "retard" but wanted to get point across.

Mercforhire #8 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 16:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1623 battles
Attached File   hurr-durr-derp-face-basement-cat.jpeg   26.04K

View PostDJive, on Jun 13 2011 - 16:19, said:

IE a DERP GUN is a gun that is so stupidity strong that even a retard person can use it and get kills. Doesn't take much skill, strategy or talent to get kills with a DERP gun, just point, fire and DERP!!!11 another unearned kill.

I agree with u on this because the t46,t28 and kv have derp cannons that I know of.But it is true what DJive said,that is the true meaning of the derp cannon\gun.Arty almost always has a derp super cannon.

Attached File   shot_468.jpg   400.23K

Doonhamer #9 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 17:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 27455 battles
  • [AFTTE] AFTTE

View PostDJive, on Jun 13 2011 - 16:19, said:

In general, I disagree with yuour statement.

Scoring multiple kills involves knowing your map, being situationally aware, be mindful of the painfully slow reload, and then making every single shot count.

virtusx #10 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 17:59

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2842 battles
Originally came from South Park. From Urban dictionary.

A simple, undefined reply when an ignorant comment or action is made. Brought to life in the South Park series, when Mr. Derp made a guest apperance at South Park Elementary as the chef for a day, followed by hitting himself in the head with a hammer and exclaiming "Derp!"

Don't ask for it to make sense, this is the Internet after all; why things catch on and others don't, who knows.

Gaglug #11 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 18:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4114 battles

View PostDoonhamer, on Jun 13 2011 - 17:49, said:

In general, I disagree with yuour statement.

Scoring multiple kills involves knowing your map, being situationally aware, be mindful of the painfully slow reload, and then making every single shot count.

Not really, all it needs is for you to be on a close quarters map and drive in and ram your enemy.  Then fire.  DERP.  Dead.

If you knew your maps and were situationally aware, you wouldn't mount the derpguns.   Because you're useless and a handicap to your team in a long-range open fight.

Can you get kills with a derp gun?  Sure.   But you have to be on the right map, in the right place on the map, with the enemy in the right place on the map, and the enemies have to do exactly what you need them to do.  (And frankly, an enemy team that wants to play "Peekaboo corner=shoot all of us one by one" on a city map against a Derp cannon deserves to lose).   You can get kills while derping.    All the other times you have to be extremely lucky to end up making a positive contribution to your team instead of just ending up a smoking hulk.

Hotwired #12 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 18:17

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20 battles

View PostGaglug, on Jun 13 2011 - 18:01, said:

Not really, all it needs is for you to be on a close quarters map and drive in and ram your enemy.  Then fire.  DERP.  Dead.

If you knew your maps and were situationally aware, you wouldn't mount the derpguns. Because you're useless and a handicap to your team in a long-range open fight.

Can you get kills with a derp gun?  Sure.   But you have to be on the right map, in the right place on the map, with the enemy in the right place on the map, and the enemies have to do exactly what you need them to do.  (And frankly, an enemy team that wants to play "Peekaboo corner=shoot all of us one by one" on a city map against a Derp cannon deserves to lose).   You can get kills while derping.    All the other times you have to be extremely lucky to end up making a positive contribution to your team instead of just ending up a smoking hulk.

Uhuh.

1000 games in a KV (700 beta, 300 release) and 1000 average damage per game in my KV-2 says if you know your maps and are situationally aware, you will use a 152mm on a KV-2 and you will be a valuable asset to your team.

sampak #13 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 18:23

Captain

• Players
  • 9808 battles

View PostGaglug, on Jun 13 2011 - 18:01, said:

If you knew your maps and were situationally aware, you wouldn't mount the derpguns.   Because you're useless and a handicap to your team in a long-range open fight.

As a shameless 105mm Sherman driver I will also generally disagree with your view. Sure what you say is right about it being a situational weapon to be effective at which point, let loose.

However, I have been using it exclusively since I bought my Sherman, just for laughs and to be able to use it to farm creds and not worry about IS-4 and IS-7s I face with my Tier 6-7 tanks. The inaccuracy due to the ginormous aiming circle is a pain and renders on the move shots all but useless. Coming to a stop and aiming takes 4 years to accomplish without a gun laying drive (I don't want to pour in too much money into this tank yet) so that means I am risking getting blown to smithereens by a sniper or arty, (or ironically an enemy KV derper). On maps like El Hallouf (the sniper's haven apparently) I have to either risk blasting toward the other cliff hoping not to get 1-shotted, or actually use some patience and skill at aiming all the way across with this 105mm which is less than preferred for any distances over 100-200 meters.

Also the long reloads - it DOES take skill to make each shot count - whether it's positioning myself to survive till my next reload, or making sure my shot has the best 1-shot 1-hit (and in many matches I'm in it takes 2-3 hits to kill a tank). It also means I cannot dog-fight another tank much at all - a 7-8 second reload means the other tank (say a PZ3 or PZ4) will be pummeling me while I'm trying to sluggishly maneuver the less than agile Sherman (relatively speaking) around to keep myself alive...which is not easy.

In most cases I don't have the luxury of ramming up the enemy's flank and firing off a DERRPP!!! 1-shot kill because I'm too slow, there is not enough cover, or the target is already aware of me and taking shots, and god forbid it's an arty - then I'm either getting blown to bits or losing 99.99% of my mobility and health getting there to deliver the blessing of heavenly 420 damage HE wondershots!

:)

Gaglug #14 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 18:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4114 battles

View PostHotwired, on Jun 13 2011 - 18:17, said:

Uhuh.

1000 games in a KV (700 beta, 300 release) and 1000 average damage per game in my KV-2 says if you know your maps and are situationally aware, you will use a 152mm on a KV-2 and you will be a valuable asset to your team.

OK, so on average you're saying you do 1000 average damage per game with your derpgun.

So that's less than 1.5 hits per game.   And this is a valuable asset to your team.

Uhuh.

Now Sampak provides a reasonable defense of the derpgun tactics.  He fully understands the weaknesses and strengths, and tries to play to the strengths while admitting the weaknesses.   Fair enough.

Personally, I love facing derpgun players.   But that's because my preferred engagement range is 350m and over.  And a derpgun can't manage to even hit the ground at 350m.

sampak #15 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 19:03

Captain

• Players
  • 9808 battles

View PostGaglug, on Jun 13 2011 - 18:57, said:

OK, so on average you're saying you do 1000 average damage per game with your derpgun.

So that's less than 1.5 hits per game.   And this is a valuable asset to your team.

Uhuh.

Now Sampak provides a reasonable defense of the derpgun tactics.  He fully understands the weaknesses and strengths, and tries to play to the strengths while admitting the weaknesses.   Fair enough.

Personally, I love facing derpgun players.   But that's because my preferred engagement range is 350m and over.  And a derpgun can't manage to even hit the ground at 350m.

Now now, don't forget that if he does 1000 dmg, it is not just from 1.5 hits. You're assuming he's doing 100% of the stated gun damage each hit. In reality we all (hopefully) know that a HE shell does much less damage if it does not penetrate - which is my experience too given the tier spread and tanks I face. So he may hit 3-10 times in order to do that much damage (and you can argue the usefulness of the HE cannon at that point if he's only doing 100 damage per hit, for example).

With that said, I wonder what the average damage per game would be for the same tank with the normal AP ammo gun?

Gaglug #16 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 19:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4114 battles

View Postsampak, on Jun 13 2011 - 19:03, said:

Now now, don't forget that if he does 1000 dmg, it is not just from 1.5 hits. You're assuming he's doing 100% of the stated gun damage each hit. In reality we all (hopefully) know that a HE shell does much less damage if it does not penetrate - which is my experience too given the tier spread and tanks I face. So he may hit 3-10 times in order to do that much damage (and you can argue the usefulness of the HE cannon at that point if he's only doing 100 damage per hit, for example).

With that said, I wonder what the average damage per game would be for the same tank with the normal AP ammo gun?

Point taken regarding HE damage.

I would think that a KV with the 107(god gun) played correctly should be able to at least double the damage output of the derpgun.  Keep in mind the 107 is going to penetrate almost everything at it's tier (full damage) while HE degrades.   And the derp misses...a lot.

If you multiply out theoretical damage values (damage per minute), both the derpgun and the 107 are in the same damage ballpark of theoretical damage per minute.

But that assumes the derpgun penetrates 100% of it's hits.(It doesn't, reference HE pen and loss of damage potential)  And it also assumes the derpgun hits its target as much as a 107 (it doesn't, .60 vs .37)

Dabba #17 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 21:31

Major

• Players
  • 15039 battles
  • [NUGGS] NUGGS
I dont see the similarities between (Herp) Derp and Howitzer. I prefer calling it by its proper name.

Hotwired #18 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 22:59

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20 battles
1000 HE damage = 1.5 shots with 750 damage shells?

Sampak already mentioned, HE rarely hits its average value and you cannot simplify damage into shots like that.

1000 damage per game is not an asset to a team?

It's a tier 5 heavy tank which means it can meet almost every single other tank but still averages 1000 a game. Yes I do think that's good. Bear in mind that your own KV is doing 850 damage average per game.

Double damage with 107mm vs 152mm?

No you won't. The bonus vs small tanks results in being weaker vs heavier tanks, meanwhile the 152mm cares a lot less about armour.

152mm misses a lot?

I'm going to guess that you prefer the 107mm on your KV which has 68% accuracy, my average for the KV-2 which uses just the 152mm is 64%. Not much difference. A good KV driver doesn't just look at the gun, see 0.6 accuracy then try sniping the top of a moving turret at 600m. However just to muddy the water I often will take a long range shot if I see a fully visible tank. A free shot which may cripple a tank is always worth taking and due to the way accuracy in the game works, at extreme range I have almost the same chance of hitting the centre of the reticle as with the 107mm. I say free shot because if a target is lit up at 500m, it's not my 350 viewrange spotting him therefore there's no reason to not risk a shell.

LMG #19 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 23:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2183 battles

View Postcarpetbob, on Jun 13 2011 - 15:59, said:

I always thought its called a derp gun since, normally they are highly inaccurate, take forever to reload, but when you hit it does tons of damage. Kinda like your not meant to hit, but when you do its sort of a derp moment cause everything dies.
Something in there reminded me of SPGs <_<

Back on topic,; I'm not quite sure, but I think it's because some think they don't require as much skill as other cannons (since one shot tends to cripple other enemies, although that shot is not very accurate)

LGear #20 Posted Jun 14 2011 - 12:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3083 battles
I rather disagree about the 152mm M10 not using as much skill. Sure they one-shot just about anything they touch below Tier 5, if you get a direct hit. At initial crew skill level though (assuming 75% minimum), the gun will miss a lot when used as a sniping weapon, which means you'll have to get in close to reliably kill something with it. And due to how long it takes for the gun to aim plus how slow the KV-2 turret traverse is you're not gonna be able to lead reliably with the weapon unless you're good, making it a bane to use if your opponent is a smart one using fire and maneuver tactics in a medium or light. Even just using HE rounds (which I do), don't count on your splash damage to do good damage all the time, especially against equal or higher tiered foes.

The biggest factor against the M10's supposed "ease of use" is the horridly long reload time. The gun is very unforgiving if you miss a shot: miss one, and your enemy has the opportunity to put two - three shots into you before you can shoot back (not to mention the possibility of your allies killing the tank first as you reload... so much for your "easy kill"). Which means that using the M10 in open maps like Malinovka or Steppes is going to be a very difficult exercise if you get flanked.

While crew skill and modules can ease these weaknesses somewhat, the 152mm can still be a rather unforgiving gun if you think you can simply rambo your way into combat and then own the map with it, especially considering how sluggish the KV-2 even with upgraded tracks and engine. The 152mm is a very situational gun, and you need to adjust your playstyle to put yourself in the situation where you can use its advantages to its fullest, since you can't always be in urban maps all the time, and you're not always going to be at the top of the pack either where you can exercise being the bully with your armor.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users