Replace the French FT AC tank... please!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

I_brake_for_gnomes #1 Posted Apr 08 2015 - 04:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14990 battles

When you start the French tech tree line, every French tank... and really up to anything past the B1 is slowwwwwww. That doesn't have to be case since the French used a tank type called "Combat Armored Cars." Basically they were light tanks that were fast, had guns ranging from 13.2mm F-M mle 30 to the 47 SA-35 tank gun. But they were light in armor and used by the Cavalry. These tanks are the AMC 34, AMC 35, AMR 33 and AMR 35. They could be fit into the light tank line or replace the FT AC. These are good and solid tier 2 or tier 3 tanks.

And even better choice to rep[lace the FT AC, and a vehicle especially designed by the French to be a tank destroyer, is the Laffly W-15-TCC. They French had 70 of them at the beginning of the war and basically they put a 47 SA 37 ATG on top of a Laffly 6x6 truck. The down side is that it isn't a true tank, the only armor was the gun shield and the gun faced backward just like the Archer. But it was fast maneuverable and definitely different then anything else in WOT.

A regular Laffly 6x6 truck can get up to 65 kph so considering the UE 57 in the game also has very weak armor, I personally think that the W-15-TCC is a good and solid tier 2 tank destroyer. The FT AC is a horrible tank.

Think of it in another way. The French tree starts with a FT 17 and branches off to the FT AC and the FT 75 [edited]. All are incredibly slow and easy to kill. Wouldn't it make more sense to combine the FT17 and the FTAC into a single tier 2 tank? And then you can make the French tier 1 tank using the St Chammond tank? The St Chammond is a WW1 tank with a big 75mm gun sticking out the front. It did 12kph and maximum armor was at 19mm. It was bulky and cumbersome and any advantage a 75mm gun would have is negated by how slow and awkward it is.

The French had about 400 St Chammonds built in WW1 and since the British already start their tier 1 tree with a medium tank... why not have the French tier 1 tree begin with a medium tank as well? Having the St Chammond as the first French tank would appeal to a lot of people and maybe try the French tank line.

So please... please... please get rid of the FT AC and replace it with anything else!!!! Thanks.

WulfeHound #2 Posted Apr 08 2015 - 04:52

Major

• Players
  • 12884 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
There's only a couple problems: first off, no wheeled vehicles (that means no trucks). Second, the St. Chamond was a terrible vehicle and would be very painful to play in the game

Absolute_Territory #3 Posted Apr 08 2015 - 05:03

Major

• Players
  • 17524 battles
FT AC is hilarious to play at its tier. It is an auto-loading TD in tier two...

wylleEcoyote #4 Posted Apr 08 2015 - 05:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19761 battles
  • [ARMED] ARMED

This is an interesting point, OP.

And not the first time some thought has been given to the French line by French Tank Enthusiasts.

As far as I know, this is the most in-depth treatment of the subject I can find. Fire up your google translate and go to:

http://forum.worldof...ancais/#topmost

Five, count 'em FIVE lines. And 2 of them artillery. (More than the Soviets!) Even Napoleon would be impressed.

Look at the current tech tree. with all the auto loaders that to be effective use the motto " we run to fight! then we run away again".

one might think of the French Tanking tradition being that of a bunch of unreliable blue green surrender monkeys. 

You would be wrong.

One can look at the French Tank Tradition and realize that it has the potential to be a garden from which the "Flower of French Chivalry" could bloom once again.

Not likely though, as this is just a game. :confused:

On the Internet, no less. :sceptic:

Only monsters here. :trollface:    No knights in shiny armor. :izmena:

Im gonna drink now.

ket101 #5 Posted Apr 08 2015 - 05:48

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18231 battles
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M
The FT-17 is a tank, and one of the most successful tanks made.  And it's French.  It basically was the first true tank, or at least the first to get everything in approximately the right order.  A definite source of pride there.  The Russian MS-1, another Tier 1 tank, was developed from it.  The St Chamond, in terms of the game, would not be considered a tank.  Both it and the Schneider would be classed as TD's, since neither have turrets.  The St Chamond wasn't that successful, since the front tended to dig into the ground when crossing trenches and the Holt tractor base wasn't that great for a tank.  And the FT-17 is a contemporary of the St Chamond, so really, you aren't gaining anything by trying to replace it.  That, and the St Chamond is the size of a barn while being only half as fast, and would be dead meat for any other Tier 1 tank.

Edited by ket101, Apr 08 2015 - 05:55.

badperson #6 Posted Aug 10 2015 - 00:07

Captain

• Players
  • 45991 battles
  • [E-WAR] E-WAR

View Postket101, on Apr 08 2015 - 05:48, said:

The St Chamond, in terms of the game, would not be considered a tank.  Both it and the Schneider would be classed as TD's, since neither have turrets.

Nonsense.  They were as much tanks as the M3 Lee or the Strv 103.  Or, for that matter, the original British rhombus heavies.

And on a related note, I would love to see both the St. Chamond and Schneider CA.  If they come in as low-tier budget premiums that would be even better.  I could see a Schneider working at tier II and St. Chamond being a tier III "glass cannon" style heavy, a low tier TOG almost.  The M1897 is some serious firepower at that low level. 

ket101 #7 Posted Aug 10 2015 - 02:01

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18231 battles
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M

View Postbadperson, on Aug 10 2015 - 09:07, said:

Nonsense.  They were as much tanks as the M3 Lee or the Strv 103.  Or, for that matter, the original British rhombus heavies.

And on a related note, I would love to see both the St. Chamond and Schneider CA.  If they come in as low-tier budget premiums that would be even better.  I could see a Schneider working at tier II and St. Chamond being a tier III "glass cannon" style heavy, a low tier TOG almost.  The M1897 is some serious firepower at that low level. 

"in terms of the game".  The Lee may still end up as the tank it was meant to be.  The S tank, well, we'll see.

GumboRex #8 Posted Sep 21 2015 - 02:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19119 battles
  • [GNZX2] GNZX2

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I'll weigh in here as well... I wouldn't mind seeing the St Chamond and the Schneider CA1 added to the game- but if that happens in any capacity, I hope they do the same for the actual first tanks (hits AND misses) for all nations... Liberty Tanks! A7V's! ... Well, maybe not the Skeleton Tank or the Tsar Tank... but the Ford 3 ton, various Tankettes like the Polish 7TP, sure! I realize in terms of 'tank' performance most of these early entries would be considered poorly armed, armored, and with mobility approaching a herd of turtles running through peanut butter, but on historical and hysterical value alone, I for one would be able to get behind this idea. If I never get to see one in real life in my lifetime, I can at least dream of owning a digital version in my ever expansive garage... Since there already is a solid Tier I, and most of those make sense from a game stance point of view, maybe all of these 'baby tanks' or 'pre-tanks' or 'landships' could go into their own special pre tier, a 'tier zero' if you will... I mean, if they're discussing a tier XI and beyond, why not look at the foundation as well, eh?

Good hunting out there

-Gumbo

ket101 #9 Posted Sep 21 2015 - 04:38

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18231 battles
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M
The problem with including tanks like that is where do you put them?  St Chamond and Schneider would be XP piñatas, basically, even at Tier 1.  Rhomboidal tanks would require a multi-gun mechanism, and you have to realise that the main guns, mounted in the sponsons, have non-overlapping fields of fire and pretty bad traverse to make things worse.  Blind spots everywhere.  Ford 3 ton never carried much more than a rifle calibre machine gun, I believe, so it's hard to give it something heavier.  You might get away with a .50 calibre, but it's never going to be able to compete with even a T7 Combat Car, or a T1 Cunningham.  If tanks like these are going to be included, then they basically need their own separate part of the game, because they can't compete.  They'd need buffing way beyond any historic ability.  And that sort of thing probably won't happen until they get done with all the other tanks they're currently working on.

GumboRex #10 Posted Sep 21 2015 - 19:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19119 battles
  • [GNZX2] GNZX2

View Postket101, on Sep 20 2015 - 21:38, said:

The problem with including tanks like that is where do you put them?  St Chamond and Schneider would be XP piñatas, basically, even at Tier 1.  Rhomboidal tanks would require a multi-gun mechanism, and you have to realise that the main guns, mounted in the sponsons, have non-overlapping fields of fire and pretty bad traverse to make things worse.  Blind spots everywhere.  Ford 3 ton never carried much more than a rifle calibre machine gun, I believe, so it's hard to give it something heavier.  You might get away with a .50 calibre, but it's never going to be able to compete with even a T7 Combat Car, or a T1 Cunningham.  If tanks like these are going to be included, then they basically need their own separate part of the game, because they can't compete.  They'd need buffing way beyond any historic ability.  And that sort of thing probably won't happen until they get done with all the other tanks they're currently working on.

Having realized this as I was typing it, was why in the last couple lines of my post said they'd need to be their own special tier- that coming with their own special MM... a 'tier zero' if you will. They'd have to do something similar if they ever wanted to add anything more modern to the game- XI would be miles beyond the current IX and X tanks and also would pretty much need to be by themselves. As far as a multi-gun mechanic, it would be needed and it would not be all that difficult to implement. I think it would be worth it for all the multi-gun tanks running around with less teeth than they should have right now, and to recognize some of the first tanks in the world.

_Freddy_ #11 Posted Oct 03 2015 - 16:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 412 battles

View PostGumboRex, on Sep 21 2015 - 01:29, said:

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I'll weigh in here as well... I wouldn't mind seeing the St Chamond and the Schneider CA1 added to the game- but if that happens in any capacity, I hope they do the same for the actual first tanks (hits AND misses) for all nations... Liberty Tanks! A7V's! ... Well, maybe not the Skeleton Tank or the Tsar Tank... but the Ford 3 ton, various Tankettes like the Polish 7TP, sure! I realize in terms of 'tank' performance most of these early entries would be considered poorly armed, armored, and with mobility approaching a herd of turtles running through peanut butter, but on historical and hysterical value alone, I for one would be able to get behind this idea. If I never get to see one in real life in my lifetime, I can at least dream of owning a digital version in my ever expansive garage... Since there already is a solid Tier I, and most of those make sense from a game stance point of view, maybe all of these 'baby tanks' or 'pre-tanks' or 'landships' could go into their own special pre tier, a 'tier zero' if you will... I mean, if they're discussing a tier XI and beyond, why not look at the foundation as well, eh?

Good hunting out there

-Gumbo

The Polish 7TP was not a Tankette - it was based on the Vickers 6 Ton light tank but with heavier armour and a more powerful engine, 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users