Skins of Kampfgruppe Leofwine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

leofwine #1 Posted Aug 04 2010 - 15:31

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

Posted Image

This thread is a collection of my German tank skins all themed around my fictional Kampfgruppe. The Kampfgruppe is a part of the 3rd Panzer Division and carry the crest of a bear rampant upon their vehicles, as well as the halved red & black shield of Kampfgruppe Leofwine along with a white hangmans noose. All the vehicles are painted in a historical or altered historical camouflage scheme comprising of three of the colours; Dunkelgelb Nach Muster, Olivgrüen (RAL 6003), Flaschengrün (RAL 6007), Rotbraun (RAL 8012), Schokoladenbraun (RAL 8017).
Kill rings are added to several of the cannon, nominally the top tier weapons and their meaning is as follows;

Thin white strip: 1 kill
Thick white strip: 10 kills

If you have any requests for a customisation of the skin, please send me a PM with details of how you'd like the skin to be altered. If you wish to have further decals added, or altered, please include the image you would like placed on the vehicle, and inform me of where. Text can easily be altered, as well as its position on the

Please note, I am in the process of updating the skins and will continue to update this page until they are brought up a standard I am happier with.

All download links I add will be in .dds format for single skins or .7z (7zip) for bundles of skins/skin & crash skin. If you have any trouble with downloading the skin, just let me know.

Just like to say thank you to those who have commented kindly on my skins from my first attempt at my Sturmpanzer. So long as I do a good job of the skins, and you guys like them, I shall continue to make them/edit them to make them look better.

Cheers, and happy tanking all!

Leofwine

Note on use of the skins: I am more than happy for people to alter the following skins whether to add different text, new decals or whatever they wish. If you put the altered skin up for download please give me credit. If you decide to host the skin upon a website please, once again, give me credit. Other than, go wild.

Download links & Gallery

I have uploaded, by request, unmarked versions of the skins. In case anyone wishes to alter the skins by adding their own decals/text or changing how the skin looks, please feel free. If you put your altered skin up for general use, please give me credit for the original version on this page. Many thanks. Now on to the skins!

Camouflage Inspiration

Inspiration for the skins came from a camouflage skin I had seen a couple of times which involved the three main colours. The best example of this is with this image of a JagdTiger;

http://panzerwaffe.p...jagdtigerpd.jpg

With the PzIII skin I altered it so that the stripes flowed along the length of the hull, with braun edging the gruen. With the other skins I have done they are more faithful to the picture above.

Sturmpanzer II number 114 'Giselle' of Kampfgruppe Leofwine, 3rd Panzer Division

Version 1.0
Skin:
Sturmpanzer II 'Giselle' skin .dds and destroyed skin .dds [7zip]
UNMARKED Sturmpanzer II skin .dds and destroyed skin .dds [7zip]

Gallery:
Spoiler                     

#Note: Due to my no longer using a Sturmpanzer II, I will no longer be updating the skin/making newer skins for the vehicle.

Panzerkampwagen III number 211 or 177 'Abigail' of Kampfgruppe Leofwine, 3rd Panzer Division

Version 1.0
Skin:
Panzerkampwagen III 'Abigail' skin .dds and destroyed skin .dds [7zip]
UNMARKED Panzerkampwagen III skin .dds and destroyed skin .dds [7zip]

Gallery:
Spoiler                     

#Note: Due to my no longer using a PzIII, I will no longer be updating the skin/making newer skins for the vehicle.

Sturmgeschütz III Ausf. G number 115 'Lindis' of Kampfgruppe Leofwine, 3rd Panzer Division

Version 1.1
Skin:
Sturmgeschütz III Ausf. F 'Lindis' skin .dds and destroyed skin .dds [7zip]
UNMARKED Sturmgeschütz III Ausf. F skin .dds and destroyed skin .dds [7zip]

Zimmerit v1.1
Sturmgeschütz III Ausf. F 'Lindis' Waffle Zimmerit skin .dds and destroyed skin .dds [7zip]

Zimmerit v1.2*
Sturmgeschütz III Ausf. F 'Lindis' Waffle Zimmerit skin .dds and destroyed skin .dds [7zip]*
*Added more 'dots' to the front hull, rear hull and toned down the brightness of the 'dots'. Cleaned up a little bit of the skin here and there.

Gallery:
Spoiler                     
With waffle zimmerit;
Spoiler                     

Jagdpanzer IV number 133 'Helga' of Kampfgruppe Leofwine, 3rd Panzer Division

Version 1.0
Skin:
Jagdpanzer IV 'Helga' skin .dds and destroyed skin .dds [7zip]
UNMARKED Jagdpanzer IV skin .dds and destroyed skin .dds [7zip]

Gallery:
Spoiler                     
#Note: Only the 8.8cm cannon is properly skinned and lined with kill rings, as this is the gun I currently use. I may update the other guns later on.

Red text only for mod use please.
/SgtGrunt

med1c #2 Posted Aug 04 2010 - 15:37

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
nice ;)

amade #3 Posted Aug 04 2010 - 15:48

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13149 battles
  • [RIP-B] RIP-B
Very well done.

CroPanzer #4 Posted Aug 04 2010 - 15:48

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
looks great ;)

Urbanrat #5 Posted Aug 04 2010 - 16:22

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6451 battles
That looks great, awesome work for a first pain job!

leofwine #6 Posted Aug 04 2010 - 20:58

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Thanks very much  :) I'll be encouraged to do more in the future then. If anyone wants the skin, just let me know via a pm. As I said in my OP, I want to tailor it further, alter a few bits and do a little repainting, so I will get on with that and improve it :

cDa #7 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 22:57

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Great work, very precise, well painted, dare i say.. nothing over lines? ;)

leofwine #8 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 23:13

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostcDa, on Aug 05 2010 - 22:57, said:

Great work, very precise, well painted, dare i say.. nothing over lines? ;)

Thanks very much, I am a bit of a 'perfectionist' sometimes, and whilst the skin is not amazing, it's a lot better than the PzIII one I did earlier today. It just lacked...something. I do paint each section of the tank bit by bit, just by dragging a box around the area, paint with the largest brush, next bit. Nice and easy. Just a little time consuming. Especially once the base coat is on and I start on the camouflage and keep hopping in and out of game to see how it looks >.< That is the most time consuming bit hehe.

Planning on redoing my Stug next, so hunting for more camouflage patterns. Any suggestions?

(EDIT: am also still working on this one, adding where paint has been scraped off leaving metal showing, as well as hopefully adding 'mud' if my limited skills can manage it  :unsure: )

rossmum #9 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 09:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23177 battles
  • [NDP] NDP
Love that camo pattern. Really nice job.

cDa #10 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 15:40

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
try deviantart's section for stock and resources, may be helpfull for new textures, at least i got some nice rust ones for my BT-2

Eightball #11 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 16:36

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9016 battles
Your skills are a little beyond "limited" - that looks great!  One question - the 331 there is pretty bright, did the Germans really put numbers like that (I assume it's a unit number of some kind) in that color on a tank?

leofwine #12 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 16:59

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The only thing which is completely correct are the colours I've used for the camouflage, and on my latest version which I'll post later, the badge of the 3rd Panzer Division. Rest of it was to make it look 'good'/used for a long period of time, as though it had seen lots of service with a crew that had been together for quite a while and customised their vehicle. As for the number (ts now 114), the colour I took drew from a few pictures I found of other panzers, but I'm not sure how accurate I was with that, possibly not at all. Seemed they used outlines instead of colour body for the numbers, but it didn't look 'as good', to me, when I tried it. As for its placement, I couldn't find many pictures of Sturmpanzer's, and those I could find, the number was on the flank, whilst I wanted to fill up the gunshield a little as it looked really empty without it (to me). The other inaccuracy, on the latest version, is the tactical flash which I decided to stick on the gunshield as well. I couldn't find a 'mechanised/armoured artillery' symbol, so I built one based on the 150mm artillery flash and added the bottom part of 'mechanised' flashes...it'll make sense when I post pictures of it.

As for my digital skills, thanks very much, I do my best. I'm nowhere near as good as people who sit there and draw a digital picture inside of a few hours, but I have a few tricks when I do stuff like these skins.

Above I said if anyone wanted the skin to pm me. To save time, if you pm me for this skin, please include the following in your message if you want me to tailor the skin for you;

Any changes to tank name/number
Additional text wanted
Additional symbols/icons/decals added (if you can supply me with them that'd be fantastic)
Any further alterations you'd like.

Playing with the skins is just nuts to me, I love it, so anything you'd like done to the skin, shout  :Smile_great:

rossmum #13 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 17:23

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23177 battles
  • [NDP] NDP
Please please please PLEASE do more vehicles in that camo pattern.

leofwine #14 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 17:51

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
As I'm not a particularly ambitious player, I won't be doing this skin for every German tank, but I'll certainly be doing it for either the PzIV or PzIII/IV, and then depending which route I go down the tree, I'll do a skin for each tank I get and put it up here (so long as I do a good enough job on it). I'll almost definately do a Stug version of this one, and maybe a Marder. Hetzer will be a no-no...I hate that TD ;)

If I don't cover a tank you've got or are aiming for, then these are the colour plates;
Posted Image

So you can make 'em yourselves  :Smile_great:  Something I did find was that when using the colours for overlays, I had to darken them to get the right hue when I applied the paint to the tank.

leofwine #15 Posted Aug 09 2010 - 23:42

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Having some spare time today, I cracked on with the PzIII skin in these colours/camouflage style. The result:

Spoiler                     

This is my first 'bash' on the PzIII skin, and over the next few days, I will be editting it, adding dents, scrapes, altering decals/text perhaps, but this is the start of it. Main difference with the Sturmpanzer skin is that the camouflage 'streaks' are only lengthwise along the hull, whilst on the Sturmpanzer the 'streaks' rise up the front, flanks, rear and meet at the open compartment. Any comments on that? Should I make it more like the Sturmpanzer II skin, or keep it as is?

Any comments/suggestions?

EDIT: Updated images to newer version with...well, whats meant to be mud.

rossmum #16 Posted Aug 10 2010 - 05:31

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23177 battles
  • [NDP] NDP
Oh wow.

My only real suggestions are to make the number look less like typed font and to dirty the skin up a little as if it's been in action for some time. Beyond that, it looks excellent.

leofwine #17 Posted Aug 12 2010 - 22:34

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Been doing some more messing around with skins and that pallete. This is my Stug so far;

Spoiler                     

The image I based it on used spots, but they looked terrible, so I went for the triangles as used on the ambush camouflage pattern. I'll do my usual adding of decals and bits later. Just tweaking the camouflage, as well as trying to track down the 'jacket' on the barrel towards the breech. Will be painting that in the Braun.

Trebs #18 Posted Aug 12 2010 - 23:20

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Awesome job :) Can you make something nice for the Hummel ? ^^ +1

adiya #19 Posted Aug 12 2010 - 23:34

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
leofwine, did you also do the wreck map?

leofwine #20 Posted Aug 13 2010 - 00:04

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostAdiyahu, on Aug 12 2010 - 23:34, said:

leofwine, did you also do the wreck map?

For this one I am going to attempt to do a wreck map...key word there is attempt. How successful I'll be I don't know, but I'll give it a shot!

View PostTrebs, on Aug 12 2010 - 23:20, said:

Awesome job :) Can you make something nice for the Hummel ? ^^ +1

Thanks very much :) I don't have the Hummel so I won't be able to skin it for you, otherwise I'd line it up as my next project after the Stug. Thinking of redoing my PzIII and Sturmpanzer next to include the 'triangles'.

EDIT:

Sorted a few triangles out where they were irritating me, few basic decals and some text. Trying to avoid my usual sprawling graffiti all over the hull this time. Only two pieces of graffiti so far (besides the tanks name, Lindis) - "Mein Leibste Leibe Lindis" ("My dearest love Lindis" if its translated correctly), as though the tank is named after the commanders girl, and on the commanders hatch it says "Verbergen!" which should translate to "Hide!". Also kill rings amount to 25 kills - 2 wide rings indicating 10 kills, 5 thinner rings indicating single kills.

Spoiler                     

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users