• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Finished it! Well I think its finished, so without further ado;

Stug III Ausf G 115 'Lindis'

Skin:
Spoiler                     

Crash:
Spoiler                     

I'll bundle it into a .7z and put the link on the first page if you want to use it. If you want it customised at all, drop me a pm.

leofwine #23 Posted Aug 15 2010 - 21:26

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Updated with new Sturmpanzer II on main page. Similar to the original Sturmpanzer II, but in a camouflage that is a little more 'subtle'. Included the 'image' of cigarettes/cigarette carton/newspaper, because I was very happy with how they turned out (though do excuse the word 'strike' on the paper. Should be 'Streik'...so I messed up a little there, but am not going to go back and edit such a minor thing :D)

If anyone wants to use the old Sturmpanzer link is here. Images below;

Spoiler                     

Right! Next project will be the VK3001[P]. Watch this space, as they say...

miktg #24 Posted Aug 16 2010 - 15:44

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Awsome skins! Too bad i sold my PzIII :(

leofwine #25 Posted Aug 16 2010 - 16:20

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostHarrier, on Aug 16 2010 - 14:46, said:

I think this is a very nice design, I tried it but found a small problem, If I switch to a different cannon, Kill rings will not be displayed, Please fix it :Smile_honoring:

I only use the L70 on my Stug, so I forget about those ones, likewise with the PzIII, I only use the L24 75mm >.< I'll try and correct them all once I've recovered from 'triangularbosis', a new condition brought on by doing these skins...placing too many damned triangles, rotating them and sorting their opacity has driven me a little bonkers.

I'll make it a priority before I do my VK3001[P] skin :Smile_honoring:

adiya #26 Posted Aug 16 2010 - 20:18

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
nice job, leofwine! i'll officially replace the stock textures with yours.

some advice, if i may:

1. for some new elements on the texture (except for painting). eg. the newspaper and cigarette on the bench of the sturmpanzer II, you should do something to spec map and normal map, because they are new surfaces and new materials.

2. save DDS in DXT1 without alpha is gonna saving up to 50% file size, no actually data loss at all

adiya #27 Posted Aug 16 2010 - 20:20

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postleofwine, on Aug 16 2010 - 16:20, said:

I only use the L70 on my Stug, so I forget about those ones, likewise with the PzIII, I only use the L24 75mm >.< I'll try and correct them all once I've recovered from 'triangularbosis', a new condition brought on by doing these skins...placing too many damned triangles, rotating them and sorting their opacity has driven me a little bonkers.

I'll make it a priority before I do my VK3001[P] skin :Smile_honoring:

will you go jagdpanther? i'll make my skin for it when i get one :Smile_great:

leofwine #28 Posted Aug 16 2010 - 21:01

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostAdiyahu, on Aug 16 2010 - 20:20, said:

will you go jagdpanther? i'll make my skin for it when i get one :Smile_great:

Yep, just sold my VK3001[P] in exchange for a Jagdpz IV. I prefer TDing anyway  :Smile_honoring:

View PostAdiyahu, on Aug 16 2010 - 20:18, said:

nice job, leofwine! i'll officially replace the stock textures with yours.

some advice, if i may:

1. for some new elements on the texture (except for painting). eg. the newspaper and cigarette on the bench of the sturmpanzer II, you should do something to spec map and normal map, because they are new surfaces and new materials.

2. save DDS in DXT1 without alpha is gonna saving up to 50% file size, no actually data loss at all

Thanks!  :Smile_honoring: As I said in the editted OP, so long as people like the skins, I shall continue to refine/improve them as I can. I want to redo that PzIII to look like the Stug and Sturmpanzers new camouflage, and of course I'll run up a skin for my new Jagdpz IV.

The tips much appreciated, but I'd rather not go so far as to play with mapping. Actually doing the skins is a massive leap forward for myself as it is, so I'll just stick to trying to make them look 3d from the textures (need shadows on the cigarette carton and the newspaper, as they look quite flat, but surprisingly the cigarettes look rather 3 dimensional, to myself at least).

As for saving the DDS in DXT1...something I'll have to remember to do. Cheers for the tips!  :Smile_honoring:

adiya #29 Posted Aug 16 2010 - 22:07

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
would you mind me recommend and forward your creations to my chinese WoT community, so that some chinese players who might not be here to enjoy your awesome works?

I'd like to post a thread there with my own skins and some personal recommendations and selections.

credit and original link will be given :Smile_harp:

leofwine #30 Posted Aug 16 2010 - 22:32

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Thats absolutely fine by me for you to link them. I'm rather surprised, as it goes, that my skins have proven to be a sort-of popular, just need to keep my ego in check I think  :rolleyes:

I've also uploaded the Stug with kill rings/camouflaged barrels for the others. Some barrels are not camouflaged, it looked silly in the end, so this is how they turned out:

7.5cm StuK40 L/43:
Posted Image

10.5cm StuH42 L/28:
Posted Image

7.5cm PAK39 L/38:
Posted Image

7.5cm StuK42 L/70:
Posted Image

amade #31 Posted Aug 18 2010 - 22:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13149 battles
  • [RIP-B] RIP-B
Just wondering, could you also upload versions of them without the added decals or graffiti? I kinda like my tanks to not be too "individualistic" especially since all tanks in the battlefield will use the same skin which makes it odd for me to see several tanks having the same nickname, kill rings, etc ;)

Awesome work, everyone of them!

leofwine #32 Posted Aug 18 2010 - 23:46

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Certainly I can, I have backups of each one as I painted them and I always save one before I start adding markings/decals. If you give me a while, I'll put them all into .dds format, 7zip 'em, and put them up individually in case anyone else wants a specific one without markings or want to put their own on. I'll add 'crash' skins for them too :Smile_great:

Yet another skin, the Jagdpanzer 'Helga';

Spoiler                     

Sides are identical with writings, decals and numbers, though the left hand side has, in German, Rest In Peace Rudi* in small type at the back. Has my 'usual' 3rd Panzer Division badge of the bear rampant, extra identification markings on both flanks, the Kampfgruppe's noose and the words 'Der Henker' on both rear armour plates. The rear compartment was not painted, nor were the rear fenders, as I envisioned the Jagdpanzer IV only being painted on the front/rear for helping with concealement.

*When I got my JagdPz IV I was tempted to shift my Stugs crew, under the awesomely named Ignatius Hoch, over to the JagdPz until I realised that it was better to have a highly skilled crew in a cheaper but still quite hard hitting TD than and better to train up another crew in my JagdPz which would be my fun vehicle. However, Rudi got the boot before I decided, so instead Jörg took over. Thats why it says to Rest in Peace.

amade #33 Posted Aug 18 2010 - 23:48

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13149 battles
  • [RIP-B] RIP-B
Awesome, you're the best! =D

leofwine #34 Posted Aug 19 2010 - 00:21

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
My pleasure, put all four on the first page, as the UNMARKED links.

Would also like to take this moment to celebrate my 100th skin download, not overly impressive I know, but for me I am really proud of that, so thanks guys  :Smile_honoring:

amade #35 Posted Aug 19 2010 - 00:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13149 battles
  • [RIP-B] RIP-B
Congrats on the 100th download, though I'm sure it'll quickly leap into hundreds soon!

Just a heads up, your unmarked pzIII link is missing (it's just text). ;)

leofwine #36 Posted Aug 19 2010 - 00:54

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Always something isn't there? Fixed the link. I haven't tested any of them in-game, just bundled them together and put them online. If you run into any problems with the skins, please let me know and I'll kick myself up the backside and sort them out.

H2HSnake #37 Posted Aug 19 2010 - 07:30

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I really like it !!! already using your  skins in game :) now tell me, You did all of this by hand? I mean You painted the original tank texture? or You've made all camo as a separate file and pasted this on original tank texture with transparency? I am learning how to  make camo for tanks so every tip is needed :]For now I tried the second way I mentioned, cause painting it by hand on the original tank texture requires knowledge about the placement of all parts on the texture :D and that's the main problem for me.Many parts are twisted so paining them as all the rest give strange camo layout.

leofwine #38 Posted Aug 19 2010 - 09:13

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostH2HSnake, on Aug 19 2010 - 07:30, said:

I really like it !!! already using your  skins in game :) now tell me, You did all of this by hand? I mean You painted the original tank texture? or You've made all camo as a separate file and pasted this on original tank texture with transparency? I am learning how to  make camo for tanks so every tip is needed :]For now I tried the second way I mentioned, cause painting it by hand on the original tank texture requires knowledge about the placement of all parts on the texture :D and that's the main problem for me.Many parts are twisted so paining them as all the rest give strange camo layout.

Essentially I do my skins in three phases, all painted on to the Devs original skins;

1st. Base colour: Basic colour of the tank (normally Dunkelgelb). I set the brush to overlay, test the paint at different opacities until I'm happy with it. Then I select each area I am going to paint one by one, outlining them and applying the paint inside the outlined area. This way I can avoid painting areas I want to keep clear of paint - tools, vents, the rear of the JagdPz - essentially instead of painting the entire skin at once with a massive 2500 pixel brush, I paint it bit by bit.

2nd. Camouflage: I tend to go through 2-3 patterns of camouflage on the skin to see which type of pattern I prefer, how hard I like the brush to be, what opacity to set the colours to and how to do each bit. For example with the JagdPz, the barrels are not in the same pattern as the rest of the hull. They are painted in the base colour, then have the braun painted over the top in stripes. With the Stug L/70s barrel, on the other hand, I continued using the same pattern on the hull on the gun. Camouflage takes me the longest as thats the bit I have to do spot on for the skin to look good to myself. After I'm happy with the pattern I've painted, I open up the triangle in Dunkelgelb I have saved and drag that on to the skin, changing its rotation each time before I drag it, so eventually the hull is covered in triangles going in different directions.

3rd. Extras: Once I've finished the skin itself I make sure I have a saved copy, then I begin on adding the details - writing, decals, kill rings, tank name, badges and so on. For me thats the most fun part of a fun process.

What I do tend to do is save version after version of the skin in its varying form of construction, and I keep putting the half built skin into the game, logging in, checking it, seeing what needs to be altered, then quitting the game, altering it, putting the new version in, booting up the game, checking it, altering anything that needs to be altered...takes a while, but you get used to it.

H2HSnake #39 Posted Aug 19 2010 - 13:43

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postleofwine, on Aug 19 2010 - 09:13, said:

...I keep putting the half built skin into the game, logging in, checking it, seeing what needs to be altered, then quitting the game, altering it, putting the new version in, booting up the game, checking it, altering anything that needs to be altered...takes a while, but you get used to it.
I've heard I mean red on these forums that You can change skins "LIVE" just alt tab game, change switch the files, then go back to the game and change the resolution in the options from med to high or back, game automatically changes the texture and apply a new one so don't need to exit and log out :D haven't chek it yet.
Thank You for the tips, as I see You do all by hand, that's lot's of work, I'll definately try that , usually I am too lazy to do it like that, but when You want to make it right and look really good You need to be patient :D

leofwine #40 Posted Aug 19 2010 - 17:20

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostH2HSnake, on Aug 19 2010 - 13:43, said:

I've heard I mean red on these forums that You can change skins "LIVE" just alt tab game, change switch the files, then go back to the game and change the resolution in the options from med to high or back, game automatically changes the texture and apply a new one so don't need to exit and log out :D haven't chek it yet.
Thank You for the tips, as I see You do all by hand, that's lot's of work, I'll definately try that , usually I am too lazy to do it like that, but when You want to make it right and look really good You need to be patient :D

Absolutely. As I do all of my skins for personal use first and foremost, they have to meet the standard of what I want to see in the game. I don't want to see tools painted over, vents/exhausts painted over if its not necessary, don't like to see the 'tyres' on the wheels being the wrong colour. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist, so I work at the skins until I'm happy, then hope they match up to other peoples standards :)

The patience aspect is rather important, sometimes I have to redo the skin numerous times because I do a terrible job on it, so I line up a load of albums, or put on BBC radio iPlayer and relax and enjoy doing them.

And you are completely correct about being able to import the new skin whilst the game is up. Didn't know that, should cut down my time on skins a little. Thanks for the tip!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users