Skins of Kampfgruppe Leofwine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

H2HSnake #41 Posted Aug 19 2010 - 18:41

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postleofwine, on Aug 19 2010 - 17:20, said:

don't like to see the 'tyres' on the wheels being the wrong colour.
Heheh i hate it too, but for a while I couldn't find where're these "tires" lol, I guess I can recognize them correctly on the tank texture now, since it's just the grey area around the wheels right?.Lately I had a problem with Panther wheels bacause i left whole texture around the wheels  empty and still the middle spot inside the wheels is painted on the tank model.
Need to figure it out.

leofwine #42 Posted Aug 19 2010 - 18:56

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Trial and error, trial and error, its what I do all the time. Just make sure you have multiple backups if things go horribly wrong, and if needs be, an original that you can copy from and paste onto the area you want to completely redo. Doing that is handy for redoing wheels or tracks or guns barrels/muzzles etc. Amount of times I copy and paste from the original or from the base colour is quite high.

H2HSnake #43 Posted Aug 23 2010 - 13:06

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
ok I have rather stupid question which is caused by my lazyness (if I can call it like that)how you make number decals ? can You release a few? for use for other lazy people like me?so we could just paste them onto our tanks :]i tried in gimp2 but it seems to be pain in the ass to make them in this program.

leofwine #44 Posted Aug 23 2010 - 17:13

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Nice and easy that, or at least it should be. I use Photoshop myself but as far as I know GIMP is pretty much the same sort of thing. Anyway, this is how I do it;

1. Draw a text field and select your font/write your numbers into the field. If you need fonts, www.dafont.com has lots of free ones you can use, some very interesting ones at that too.

2. After you've made your number font, rotate and move it to where you want it

3. Play with the colours/blending options/opacity until you're happy and hey Presto! you have your tanks number in place.

What might also be worth doing once you're happy with the placement of the number and how it looks, it could be worth rasterising the layer and distressing it with a paintbrush of sorts. Not sure how many GIMP has, but on PS CS2 I have quite a few towards the bottom of the brush list that I use. Play around with the brushes, distress the numbers appearance to make it look worn but no illegible and there you have it

H2HSnake #45 Posted Aug 23 2010 - 21:27

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
tnx,i knew that I must use text tool, but somehow i forgot that i need to draw a text box first lol :], now tell me how to make white outlines? You just pase one text into another with different color? I remember that some  graphic program had outlines in the text option but don't remember if it's here in PS CS3, i can't find it.

leofwine #46 Posted Aug 23 2010 - 21:38

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Right click on the layer you want to alter in the layer tab and select 'Blending Options'. At the bottom of the window it brings, at least on CS2, is a bar called 'Stroke'. Play around with the colour, thickness of the stroke and its opacity until you are happy with it. The advantage of stroke is you can make the outlines, however if you decide to make it look work and add scratches etc to the numbers, then the stroke will fill in the area you've cleared. It's...annoying to say the least. If you're just going to fade the number a bit then the stroke tool works well.

leofwine #47 Posted Aug 24 2010 - 19:01

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The skin replaces the stock skin on your machine, so yes, every Stug will have the same skin in-game.

Thanks for the comment, I intend to keep it up :) Currently looking at having every German TD in this camouflage, excepting the Ferdinand and the JagdTiger as I don't intend to go down the tree as far as that. Probably won't bother for mediums/heavies, unless I end up with masses of cash/free exp with nothing to spend it on.

H2HSnake #48 Posted Aug 24 2010 - 22:36

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I am not sure but they'll probably include different tank camos in the final version of the game, so it will be serverside thing :] not clientside like it is now.

TisBACK #49 Posted Sep 10 2010 - 23:40

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
You use the wrong colors! Here are the original colors:
above yours
http://img826.images...riginalcolo.png
below original colors

If you need more colors, take a look on german RAL wikipedia site
RAL-Farbe/RAL-Color

leofwine #50 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 04:54

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Colours I used came from;

Posted Image

Which I considered a close enough match of the RAL colours.

Thing is, the Panzer crews were issued with pigments and had to thin them as best as they could with what was to hand, which led to a variety in shades and colours across the Wehrmacht, so none of them are truly correct or truly incorrect. I will admit that the basecoats ended up being more 'green' than they truly should have been, but I put that down to my natural red/green colour blindessything, as it can be very hard for me to tell the difference at times.* The difference between the shades would make, I would say, little difference in the end product. However, if at some point I do find the spare time, I will look into it further with regards to these skins :)

*On a rather OT note, it's rather irritating being red/green colourblind. At the fencing club I go to, the electronic boxes we use to note hits/off-target shots, I can't tell the difference between the green (hit) and yellow (off-target) shots. Means I have to referee with someone beside me telling which colour the lights on the box show  :D

Oh yes, currently updating the StuG with Zimmerit paste;

Posted Image

Looks like a plastic kit atm, but I need to mess around with overlays & layers as well as all the rest of it :D

TisBACK #51 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 06:21

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postleofwine, on Sep 11 2010 - 04:54, said:

Colours I used came from;

Posted Image

Which I considered a close enough match of the RAL colours.

It's your funeral, but those colors not even nearly match the original and there are no variants of RAL 7028! everywhere wrong names...

TisBACK #52 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 08:42

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Posted Image

That are the original colors and names for your template.

leofwine #53 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 13:57

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The 'RAL 7028' in my posts came from a misunderstanding on my part when I originally made the skins, as I had two sources of the exact same colour, but in the swatches pallete I was using it said Dunkelgelb Nach Muster, and on the other one, a single swatch of the colour, it had it named as Dunkelgelb Nach Muster RAL 7028. When I realised my error I removed it from the thread title, but not from the original post, which I have done now. The RAL 7028 'variant' on that swatch I can't answer for.

I've bookmarked the link you kindly posted and added the above swatch pallete to the other ones I have - when I go to do future projects I'll have more sources to call upon. The pallete I used came from a historical modelling site, and I thought that if anyone was going to get it right, it'd be them, but apparently not.

I am intending to look into doing other colour/camouflage combinations, as the current one is driving me absolutely crackers.

Thanks for helping me out on this TisBACK  :Smile_honoring:

(my apologies if I came across a little rude with my reply further up, I know I should not post when inebriated but sometimes I still do...)

Updated the front page with the Zimmerit coated StuG pictures & download

TisBACK #54 Posted Sep 11 2010 - 15:32

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postleofwine, on Sep 11 2010 - 13:57, said:

The 'RAL 7028' in my posts came from a misunderstanding on my part when I originally made the skins, as I had two sources of the exact same colour, but in the swatches pallete I was using it said Dunkelgelb Nach Muster, and on the other one, a single swatch of the colour, it had it named as Dunkelgelb Nach Muster RAL 7028. When I realised my error I removed it from the thread title, but not from the original post, which I have done now. The RAL 7028 'variant' on that swatch I can't answer for.

I've bookmarked the link you kindly posted and added the above swatch pallete to the other ones I have - when I go to do future projects I'll have more sources to call upon. The pallete I used came from a historical modelling site, and I thought that if anyone was going to get it right, it'd be them, but apparently not.

I am intending to look into doing other colour/camouflage combinations, as the current one is driving me absolutely crackers.

Thanks for helping me out on this TisBACK :Smile_honoring:

(my apologies if I came across a little rude with my reply further up, I know I should not post when inebriated but sometimes I still do...)

Updated the front page with the Zimmerit coated StuG pictures & download

No problem :), many sites think they have the right color codes and color pattern, but they lie total wrong. We don't want nevertheless that our Panzers looks like a Bushwacker. :D;)

sorry about my bad english

leofwine #55 Posted Sep 13 2010 - 20:40

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Re-uploaded and fixed the link :) Any more problems, let me know

Kubana #56 Posted Sep 16 2010 - 18:12

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
also als absoluter fan von deiner arbeit warte ich immernoch auf den jagdpanther^^!

ich würde gerne mal wissen wie du das Camo gemacht hast oder ob du das von jemanden bekommen-gesaugt hast?

Mach weiter so bist einer der BEsten Skinna hier!

Frehelias #57 Posted Sep 16 2010 - 18:16

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostKubana, on Sep 16 2010 - 18:12, said:

also als absoluter fan von deiner arbeit warte ich immernoch auf den jagdpanther^^!

ich würde gerne mal wissen wie du das Camo gemacht hast oder ob du das von jemanden bekommen-gesaugt hast?

Mach weiter so bist einer der BEsten Skinna hier!
Post in English because it's a friggin rule!
And most of us don't speak German so we got no idea what the fuck you are trying to say.

leofwine #58 Posted Sep 16 2010 - 22:33

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
From what I managed to translate from Google Translate thing (which is really inaccurate), I'd like to say thank you for your comments on my skins, I do my very best. As for the JagdPanther skin...errr...well I sold my JagdPanther, I wasn't having fun with it with all the massive loads of tanks, I was sick of being one-hit killed without any shots bouncing, so to get more space in my garage I ditched it. I may, possibly, get a JagdPanther again in the future, but I'm looking to put Zimmerit on my JagdPZIV first (when I finally get one), but I have a load of tanks lined up to do before that  :o

My list to do (in priority):

PzIV: Dunkelgelb Nach Muster, Olivegruen, Braun and with a correct form of zimmerit
H38: in Battle of France German 2/3 grey, 1/3 Braun
Stug III: Dunkelgelb Nach Muster, Olivegruen & zimmerit
Battle of France era tanks: 2/3 grey, 1/3 Braun

After that it depends on whether I have my VK3601 or Tiger. I'm aiming for the Tiger currently.

But we'll see how my preferences roll when I'm painting :)

Kubana #59 Posted Sep 17 2010 - 12:42

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
oh well sry for the german....don´t know that u dont understand....

i only said, that i love ure work and give u big upps...
one of the best skinnaz!
keep up ure great work!

"EDIT"

leofwine #60 Posted Sep 18 2010 - 02:17

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
That is very nice! I should hand over my skins to you to dirty/rust up, fantastic work sir

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users