Tanks stuck together

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

Avocet #1 Posted Jun 17 2011 - 16:49

Major

• Players
  • 12541 battles
So I was in my M3 Lee the other day in a match at Himmelsdorf. For some reason I had decided to take the hill route alone with a Sturmpanzer arty (poor choice on our part), but fortunately we encountered little resistance. The arty set up to rain fire from the hill and my teammates were masterfully sweeping the rest of the map, so I decided to descend to the enemy base and help cap.

I soon found myself face to face with a T57, so I tried to get around behind him and hope that I got him before he got me. We're both limited without turrets, so I figured it was going to be an interesting fight. Well, in the course of both our maneuvers, I somehow ended up just about side by side with him, with my front to his tail and vice versa. Suddenly, we found ourselves stuck together!

You know how sometimes you get perma-stuck on a map feature? Well, that's kind of what it was like. We could move a little bit with regard to each other, but there was definitely something sticking and keeping us from separating. However, we were free to traverse like mad in our attempts to break free from each other. It was actually kind of comical, really. But I knew that if we did ever break free, it'd still be a 50/50 fight to see who'd get behind the other for the kill.

That suspense, unfortunately, kept me from taking my hands off the controls for the second it would take to get the screenshot I wished I had after the fact.  :angry:  Next time (if ever) I'll say "who cares if I die, I need to document this!"

Anyway, we went around in circles two or three times before I finally put it in reverse to try to break the hold, regardless of what happened after that. All of the sudden, we flew about a tank's width apart, and he definitely got the better of the deal (needed about a 90 degree turn to hit me, and I needed about 150 or so) He took his shot hastily though (missed) and seemed to have less experience trying to hit close targets without a turret, so I was able to take him down shortly afterwards.

Anyone else ever experience this kind of thing? I figure it was a fluke event, but you never know. Certainly the most unusual fight I've ever had in WoT though!

Ironmonger69 #2 Posted Jun 17 2011 - 17:03

Major

• Players
  • 7146 battles
Heh.  I could just see the SPG crews throwing empty coke bottles and chocolate boxes at each other in the interim.

On a side note, I witnessed a 3 on 1 SPG-only fight (all T-57's) last night in Ensk, all right in the enemy camp.  My lonely teammate did a helluva impressive one man stand against them & took them all out.  Top Gun indeed.

Avocet #3 Posted Jun 17 2011 - 17:28

Major

• Players
  • 12541 battles

View PostIronmonger69, on Jun 17 2011 - 17:03, said:

On a side note, I witnessed a 3 on 1 SPG-only fight (all T-57's) last night in Ensk, all right in the enemy camp.  My lonely teammate did a helluva impressive one man stand against them & took them all out.  Top Gun indeed.
Ha, that's so much fun when it actually works out. I've been that guy only once, in an M37 (took a wounded T1 Heavy, SU-26, and Wespe down in three successive shots). Most of the time it's more like... "it's 3 on 1, let's SQUISH THE ARTY!! LOLZ!!"

Movement tactics are huge when it comes to non-turreted vehicle fights. They're the only reason I got the Wespe in the above match. We spotted each other as I moved past a building, but I realized he was already almost turned towards me and would definitely get the first shot off if I stayed there. Instead of even trying to turn and fire, I quickly backed up behind the corner of the building so that I was already facing the direction he would have to come to find me again. He took the bait and came around the corner at a nearly 90-degree angle to my gun, at point blank range. Game over. Even if I hadn't managed to kill him, I was already backing up to duck behind the next corner of the building (before he had fully traversed to shoot me) and try it again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users