How to draw an ELC AMX!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Medessec #1 Posted Apr 30 2015 - 01:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 26488 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

A few people found my How to draw a KV-2 post quite neat, and a user requested I give a step-by-step drawing of the ELC AMX a shot, so here goes nothing.

The ELC AMX is actually not a very hard tank to draw- aside from the turret, it's quite featureless compared to other tanks. Perspective, scaling and aligning details will still be hard, because of the ELC being so lean and low.

I started off with the hull's basic shape, adding a few details to start off... because otherwise it'd be kinda hard to tell where you need to put everything... maybe even which way the thing's facing. :teethhappy:

I drew up some of the road wheels, rear idler and the drive sprocket, just guides for them to be placed. I also drew lines where the other road wheels should go- just as markers, as I intend to draw one wheel and copy/paste it, like I did with the KV-2. Of course if you're drawing this out on paper, you'd have to do the hard work on every wheel (ouch.)

The wheels finished and some other hull details added. At this point I figured it'd be best to just finish the hull and get it out of the way, so that way you can use the features as a reference for the turret and the gun.

Tracks finished. Not much too it due to the perspective- just make them solid and add the track guides.

Now we're getting started on the turret. Erase and redraw as many times as you need to if you want to get it right- the angles and asymmetric nature of the ELC's turret can throw you off quite a bit. You also have to make sure it doesn't look too far forward or backward... just eye the hull again and again as you draw the turret. Put guide lines if you need to.

After getting started on the gun- I noticed that the gun is too long for the dimensions of the picture... the muzzle break would be cut off the left side. So from this point on, the tank will be budged to the right. You can also see I drew guide lines to indicate where to draw the different parts of the gun.

After finishing the gun, I also added a number of smaller details such as the lights on the front, the smoke grenade launchers and the bits of the roof I forgot about(the cupolas for the driver/gunner, and the raised bit of the roof in the center for the gun depression)

The finished drawing! I chose to shade the ELC a bit, add some funny text and some subtle ownership decals.

I hope anyone who was looking to try their hand in drawing the ELC found this guide a good bit of fun. As I said, I also did a similar step-by-step drawing guide for the KV-2, and if you have any requests, I'd welcome it... just warning you, I'm doing these guides in gaps between my work for finals. I'll do what I can, but don't expect anything.

If you want to see the Imgur album and view these pics full-res, click here.

krazydude4 #2 Posted Apr 30 2015 - 01:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4563 battles
  • [EQ-AR] EQ-AR
could I have that picture o3o

Medessec #3 Posted Apr 30 2015 - 02:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 26488 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

View Postkrazydude4, on Apr 30 2015 - 00:58, said:

could I have that picture o3o

Feel free to use it for whatevs... just please don't put your name on it and steal it. :P

Crying_W0lf #4 Posted Apr 30 2015 - 12:56

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23506 battles
  • [E_L_C] E_L_C
Nice drawing of my beloved tank ^^

SpeatyPants #5 Posted May 03 2015 - 04:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14268 battles

Noice! This is my drawing of a 2D Kv-2. I didn't have a picture of the kv-2 in front of me and I drew this is school ( sshh... don't tell my math teacher! :hiding:) so I couldn't get all the details.

Medessec #6 Posted May 03 2015 - 04:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 26488 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

Pretty cool! It seems you have a bit of an eye for detail... not accurate of course, as you said, you didn't have a reference at the time... but I see you took the raised back from probably other Russian tanks, and the spigot exhaust, that can be seen on the KV-4. The things in front are probably the dome covers you see on most KV-chassis vehicles, so that's good.

As a drawing, it's pretty good though. Front, Side, and top "orthographs" (this would be a side orthograph) are a great way to exercise drawing and be creative, making your own stuff. Tracing and using references are also a great way to exercise, it may seem like you're copying something, but as long as it's your mind, your hand, and the pen/pencil, you're learning something.

What you can do to try out 3D drawing is try these more basic modes:

Oblique is like what I did with my KV2 drawing, but without the Field of Depth, you can just draw it like an ortho, then extend some lines and draw the "other side" and make it so you can see the front or the back. Super easy, and great way to try 3D perspective. Isometric is more crazy, as you have to worry about how the components look from all 3 dimensions. There's no FOD still, but it is true 3D for the most part... so if you can get Isometric down, you can start getting perspective into your drawings and really wow-ing people with what you draw.

Drawing comes to you as you do it- you gotta be doing it a lot, and during idle times in your classes are actually not a bad idea. The more and more you do it, the better you get. After I got my drawing tablet, I found myself drawing daily and for hours, so I've had my fair share of practice... I guess I could say. Anyways, you can be proud of what you draw, but you also have to be critical. Look at what you can do better, and if you're drawing and you just can't get something right... just start over. Drawing takes time, and sometimes multiple tries, but if you get it right... it's super satisfying. You'll love it, others will love it.

Either way... good luck on your drawing adventures!

SpeatyPants #7 Posted May 03 2015 - 04:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14268 battles
Thanks! +1 to you, and stay awesome! Also, can you do a drawing of the fv304? :3

SpeatyPants #8 Posted May 03 2015 - 05:00

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14268 battles
Also, yes i do have an eye for detail. If someone leaves out a detail I notice, I try my best not to mention it, but when i just have to, i draw it for them. :P

Medessec #9 Posted May 03 2015 - 06:26

Major

• -Players-
  • 26488 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

View PostSpeatyPants, on May 03 2015 - 03:57, said:

Thanks! +1 to you, and stay awesome! Also, can you do a drawing of the fv304? :3

DAWH. Just drew the Ru 251 for a topic for tonight... I'll do the FV304 next. FV304 should be fairly easy to draw.

View PostSpeatyPants, on May 03 2015 - 04:00, said:

Also, yes i do have an eye for detail. If someone leaves out a detail I notice, I try my best not to mention it, but when i just have to, i draw it for them. :P

Always best to be nice to those who draw for fun. If you take your drawing seriously, it's important to be critical of your artwork. Of course, you can show off your art, you don't have to go over your art's flaws while your friends admire it... no one likes a negative bugger. But when you're practicing and drawing on your own time, it's a part of doing it over and over until you get it right.

ArshMage #10 Posted May 06 2015 - 22:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1961 battles
  • [HFK] HFK
The Elc Amx has a GRENADE LAUNCHER?????? :arta: awesome..........

Zerg_Rush_Kekeke #11 Posted May 19 2015 - 07:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9663 battles
God that ELC-AMX turned out hot!! why not publish your galleries on Imgur?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users