84 replies to this topic

veganzombiez #1 Posted May 04 2015 - 18:49

Assistant Producer

• Administrator
  • 14190 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

Frizzled07 Commander of Red Sky.

Yotaman – Executive Officer.

Scharnhorst310 Former officer and leader.

TomECannon Former officer and leader.

Character and competence define Red Sky, the latest Clan to be featured on this week’s Clan Spotlight. RS has made a name as one of the oldest and most respected Clans in World of Tanks. As part of a larger gaming community, RS provides a comfortable community that current and former members fondly call their home.

What’s the story of Red Sky?

Since RS really enjoys fighting, are you disappointed you weren’t in the Civil War?

Would you consider your success after NASA to be your greatest accomplishment?

You guys obviously have a lot of success.  What advice do you have for clans struggling to find a place on the Global Map?

How does someone apply to RS?

There’s a lot of emphasis placed on personality. How important are stats in recruiting?

Do you attribute your success in Clan Wars to teamwork over individual player skill?

What’s the dynamic between RS and RSRDD?

What separates RS from other clans?

Do you have specific goals as a clan?

Does RS have any interesting traditions?

What changes would you make to Clan Wars?

Are there any allies or friends you’d like to acknowledge?

Do you any final words?

werecat #2 Posted May 04 2015 - 18:56

Captain

• Players
  • 22108 battles

scharnhorst310 #3 Posted May 04 2015 - 19:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 24435 battles
  • [RS] RS

Ok for anyone interested in some of the history of clan wars, thought I’d share some of what I have saved. Its long, and by no means necessary to read. 

This is basically our first MAJOR win. At the time it was a big deal for us… when the NASA war started not a single one of us expected us to make it, we figured at best we would attempt to get a rogue chipstack through to MLP and then death blossom (I know very evil, but MLP didn’t exactly have a ton of respectability in our minds). Well turned out we had the right players, with the right tanks, with the right tactics, FOR the right maps. In this case malinovka. We played the spot and bomb game with t50-2s. 

That one battle, I have around 25 similar videos on malinovka from that time... why, well because back then the rules of cw were different and the defender of a province had the fight every single attacker to that province, in our case it meant if we lost ONE battle to the clans attacking us it was over, because we were down to ONE territory. So we needed draws or wins to stay alive. 

These battles were so close, and so much fun our attendance just blew up because guys knew if they got on they were going to fight these fun kind of battles. Eventually we began to have so many teams we were capable of attacking out and defending. We made progress until we eventually got to MLP territory…. None of expected to win because steppes was one of their maps, and certainly not ours, but the chance to fight the big bad guys was worth it.

I would consider this one of the most memorable battles I’ve ever been in. Not that it was super close, or we executed so well, etc. It was just the culmination of how far we had come, weeks of non-stop fighting where we’d be knocked to one territory, but fought our way out. Next day MLP disbanded, not because of this loss, forge and others were apply relentless pressure… but the writing was on the wall. 

After the war

This was RS after the NASA war, I unfortunately don’t have the before, but basically where UFTS is was where we were, so where forge and RS currently is on this map is basically what MLP had by themselves. What this picture doesn’t show entirely was during this period we were trying to get fights, and you can see us stretching towards finland, and eventually Stockholm. 

This was when we jumped off that map and decided to go after ROTA. I can’t remember specifically why ROTA, except that they were part of the NASA group that refused to budge on giving up a little gold to some of the other clans. As you can see right next to ROTA and Iron Wolves we landed. ROTA was known to have Himmelsdorf on lockdown, and I knew they didn’t think highly off us so I figured they would run their standard strat so I made sure to have an overmatch on the hill.

We made progress against them until we finally reached Brandenburg which they had sat on 239 days (at the time the longest controlled province). The map was Erlenberg not exactly out forte, and due to the chip movements it was a big gamble for us to try and go after it (stretching ourselves thin). 

So never having played that map but knowing ROTAs style I figured they would go arty heavy and try to block the bridge. Well Back in the day TDs used to spawn much closer to the bridge than other tanks, I figured if I could get TDs in place I could knock them out (hopefully) before they were able to block it. Worked though I got pretty lucky. 

Brandenburg taken

I made some silly post at the time on the CRD section about freeing the inhabitants… we were still new. 

We decided to head south to go after SG, I can’t remember as to why exactly, but they’re phrase at that time was they had never been forcibly removed off the map, they had been in Greece for quite sometime. The area was a fortress because the LZ cypress was incredibly important. 

Eventually we pushed through. They were much tougher than we anticipated, the LZ was a pain, they had allies hitting us… we’d make progress then lose it… the only way to map them was to win the encounter and then defeat them again. 

I believe this was the final battle

I add this one because that night we knocked SG off was a VERY long night… we fought 8 battles across different timezones (as you can see how long we stretched out) and we won every single battle. By the time number 8 rolled around we were so tired, and so happy we didn’t give me thought to the last battle at all. Someone said lets do t50-2s, and I said something to the effect of “I’ll play one, I’m one of the best scout players in the game.”

After this point we jumped of the map, we were making 18k, and the very next day left the map completely. Many of us kind of naively hoped that just leaving this kind of void would allow some of the “newer” or “little” guys to get a foothold. After NASA having a strong conglomerate of clans didn’t really appeal to us and we never really wanted to join or create anything like that. By leaving the map like that we hoped to kind of set a trend and allow others clans to establish themselves. That isn’t what happened, the big dogs either gobbled it all up, or gave it to sub clans, good lesson for us. 

We decided to go back to Russia, our home… and give us a chance to go pick on a clan we really enjoyed doing doing it to. It’s a long story but basically as many older CW leadership vets have experienced, we were basically doing diplo with a guy from the clan we really liked, but who wasn’t the leader… so no more yellow

Now at this time we thought of SSGS as a pretty friendly clan on good terms… young guys, little unstable, but for the most part fun. As we moved into our old land we got word that they were… lets say facilitating people to hit us. Not necessarily against the neutrality rules but didn’t quite expect it from what we considered a pretty friendly clan. So we sat for a bit uneasy being next to them, really wanting to smack them around. The policy in RS was that we NEVER would move into an area, defeat someone’s neighbors and then turn an attack someone after we had a foothold. If we were coming after a clan, they always were told from the get go. 

At this time some of our officers wanted to go after France, so we jumped off headed to where NDP and SGLE were (personally I was against it because it had no chance of success, too many clans you’d have to fight through and you’d never get a secure foothold). To my surprise we actually had some early success against SGLE. We decided to gamble and go for a strike against Paris but it meant we were vulnerable on all other provinces, we lost. It also didn’t help that having talked to NDP they made it clear that if we made progress they would attack us (this theme repeats itself numerous times). 

Some of our guys had the idea then to attack NDP from a different direction. 

Lol as I tried to explain it was once again a NO win area to attack, because any progress you make means that other territories you own are attacked behind you… That means you have to fight an encounter, win the attack, defend the province you attack from, and defend the LZ behind you. The margin for error is nonexistent. That isn’t even counting the fact SDP and NDP cover stacks you’d have to fight through! Then we found out it wouldn’t matter anyway because “armsdealer” the leader of SSGS told me that if we made progress they would attack us… So now it was clear where he stood, what he didn’t appreciate was that in Russia, our land, he was alone. 

It turned out at this time Armsdealer had made a few other enemies with clans we had previous positive relations with, namely DOS and WAR, later Kbear. It is hard to see, but this is the start of the war where we landed with DOS and WAR coming in as well to fight SSGS, SSGS 2, and BT

This is about halfway into the war. It was difficult because it was a 2 front war, SDP and NDP to our rears as we try to make progress forward against SSGS

By July SSGS was cleared out, the north was clear of threats, and we began to organize ourselves to form lines across towards Europe with the goal to eventually reach France. The hope was to contain the war between NDP, SDP, and SGLE. We thought we had worked out an arrangement to make that possible with the leader of Forge, after making several promises and assurances, but (under pressure) he eventually reneged. To us it wasn’t hard feelings because they were doing what they considered and we certainly could empathize, was the honorably thing of defending their neighbors. 

I’m not going to get in on why G joined the war, its been touched on so many times. Now one of the downsides we discovered in fighting these single lane war was that our strength wasn’t necessarily that we had an awesome most amazing A team, it was that we had several competent teams… we couldn’t use that strength. We were stuck in this painful grind of only getting 1 maybe 2 fights a night when we had 4 teams on… attendance began to be a problem towards the end. 

We also hit a chokepoint where we had to fight through Forge on Ruinberg… they shellacked us pretty damn hard several times on that map. What was frustrating was, the way we fought the war we couldn’t use our numbered against them, we had one fight a night, and if we didn’t win, nothing happened we made no progress. So a few nights of that it started to get very frustrating. Finally we caught a break with a cap fast

Eventually we managed to break through as did everyone else, and map the guys we set out to do. I think many people from that era of clan wars regardless of side our outcome would recognize that war “the scc war” as the epitome of global fighting in clan wars.  They were the best clans duking it out, not for a week, not for a set period of time, but MONTHS of continuous fighting. This was also during the Ural Steel tournaments where each clan was attempting to balance CW and tourneys, Red Sky, G, and WAR sent teams that year to Russia… all the while fighting this war. 

I could go on, I’ve got hundreds more CW vids, but FOR ME this period represented the golden age of clan wars. I also want people to realize that this was just a brief snippet I wrote and put together rather quickly. PLENTY i left out, far more detail on all sorts of things and events out there. To me history stuff like this is fascinating and I always enjoyed reading events from different perspectives. 

This was also just some of the pictures I was able to find online, hopefully more out there somewhere. Not to mention I was dumb and never labeled my youtube cw vids for a long time.... trying to go back through them and find specific ones is really a pain. 

Edited by scharnhorst310, May 04 2015 - 22:32.

sonicmonkey #4 Posted May 04 2015 - 19:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 6626 battles
Jesus Scharn.  I lived through all that, and I still don't think I could recall half as much as you wrote down there.

scharnhorst310 #5 Posted May 04 2015 - 19:20

Major

• -Players-
  • 24435 battles
  • [RS] RS

View Postsonicmonkey, on May 04 2015 - 18:17, said:

Jesus Scharn.  I lived through all that, and I still don't think I could recall half as much as you wrote down there.

It started with just the post NASA war fighting for our lives, but slowly my memory began to be jogged by all this stuff. Hard part was finding the images and youtube vids. Not only was I stupid not labeling the battles, but also dumb putting them on different accounts. 

Edited by scharnhorst310, May 04 2015 - 19:21.

IcedBroom #6 Posted May 04 2015 - 19:25

Major

• Players
  • 29545 battles
Still makes me upset that RS didn't get picked for the civil war. But it's ok. The other clans will always know that RS is more then willing to hold it's own when it comes to a fight. That and although I wasn't there when RS 1st got here I have know RS since back in 2005 I think. Back in a game called Navyfield. Just let me tell you RS held all the harbors and man were those some good fights. Dislodging them from just ONE harbor (<----don't remember exactly if they held all of them.) was hard enough. Yeah I fought them back then. The only clan to show some real respect. It's why I joined RS in the 1st place because I remember the good old days of them in navyfield. But the dream of RS is to go back to where it all started......the pixel sea......World of warships ^^. WG we are waiting for that clan feature to be put in ^^. Now I have to say there is no other clan that I have ever enjoy more then this clan. Sure I have been in plenty of clans throughout my gaming history but this clan RS is the only clan to have respect and honor when it comes to a fight. Those are the 2 traits I honor and respect the most. It's a rare sight these days. I wouldn't want to be with any other clan. Hopefully one day I can become a NCO but I will earn that ^^. Will take time but I will Earn it. Oh also when I was looking for a new clan back in October last year because my last clan disbanded I notice RS right away! I remember them from Navyfield. I remember how they were a great group of guys. I remember all the great fights we had. That is another reason why I join them ^^. I love how during the recruitment process I got to catch frizz off guard. He said and I quote "Is there anything you would like to ask me?". I responded with "How do I become a officer and how can I earn it?". He was never asked that before ^^.

nuttydave1234 #7 Posted May 04 2015 - 19:36

Major

• Players
  • 25879 battles
Awesome, If only more Clan Spotlights took place.

Colddawg #8 Posted May 04 2015 - 20:03

Major

• Players
  • 41743 battles
  • [RS] RS

Co-Streaming this event @ http://www.twitch.tv/rscolddawg

There will be giveaways.

SuperSaiyan_PRO #9 Posted May 04 2015 - 20:12

Captain

• Players
  • 17032 battles
Finally, a clan worth spotlighting. No offence to the clans that got spotlighted lately, but... well, they could have been better. 

xXx_Kolobanov_xXx #10 Posted May 04 2015 - 20:37

Captain

• -Players-
  • 9115 battles
  • [CHAI] CHAI

View PostSealtax, on May 04 2015 - 14:12, said:

Finally, a clan worth spotlighting. No offence to the clans that got spotlighted lately, but... well, they could have been better. 

^^ This for sure.

Broadsword_Beast #11 Posted May 04 2015 - 21:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15822 battles
  • [I_K_U] I_K_U
Too many [edited]in the clan. 

Iceddragon #12 Posted May 04 2015 - 21:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 21868 battles
We'll be fielding several teams for the strongholds, so come out and get some gold.

Broadsword_Beast #13 Posted May 04 2015 - 21:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15822 battles
  • [I_K_U] I_K_U
Elite clans all doing the circle jerk, pathetic

EsportsEsquire #14 Posted May 04 2015 - 21:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24713 battles
  • [RS] RS

I'm very excited to head back to RS to run some battles! 

My twitch will be live as well... 

www.twitch.tv/TomECannon

... and yes, I will be on screen as well!

Broadsword_Beast #15 Posted May 04 2015 - 21:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15822 battles
  • [I_K_U] I_K_U

View Postscharnhorst310, on May 04 2015 - 18:20, said:

It started with just the post NASA war fighting for our lives, but slowly my memory began to be jogged by all this stuff. Hard part was finding the images and youtube vids. Not only was I stupid not labeling the battles, but also dumb putting them on different accounts. 

No one cares.

vect #16 Posted May 04 2015 - 21:27

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 13532 battles

Ah the good ol' days... I always love the videos from old patches so you can see how much has changed since then.

Also, its funny to see how bad Scharn was at shooting back then... (minus the one malinovka e-100 game where he pegs both t-50-2s lol). Plus tommy's old handle, listening to Mako's voice again, NavyField reminiscing, Ural Steel reminiscing (i still think about you at night sometimes tommy...), and everything else.

Frizzled07 #17 Posted May 04 2015 - 21:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34768 battles
  • [RS] RS

View PostTomECannon, on May 04 2015 - 15:17, said:

I'm very excited to head back to RS to run some battles! 

My twitch will be live as well... 

www.twitch.tv/TomECannon

... and yes, I will be on screen as well!

will you be touching yourself? I will be tuning... so will Yota haha

scharnhorst310 #18 Posted May 04 2015 - 21:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 24435 battles
  • [RS] RS

View Postvect, on May 04 2015 - 20:27, said:

Ah the good ol' days... I always love the videos from old patches so you can see how much has changed since then.

Also, its funny to see how bad Scharn was at shooting back then... (minus the one malinovka e-100 game where he pegs both t-50-2s lol). Plus tommy's old handle, listening to Mako's voice again, NavyField reminiscing, Ural Steel reminiscing (i still think about you at night sometimes tommy...), and everything else.

It was Tommy who wanted to add you to the shout out list, everyone else didn't think you were worth it :trollface:

EsportsEsquire #19 Posted May 04 2015 - 21:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24713 battles
  • [RS] RS

View PostBroadsword_Beast, on May 04 2015 - 12:22, said:

No one cares.

Thanks for your riveting input! 

I can't wait to see what you accomplish with your life.

EsportsEsquire #20 Posted May 04 2015 - 21:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24713 battles
  • [RS] RS

View Postvect, on May 04 2015 - 12:27, said:

Ural Steel reminiscing (i still think about you at night sometimes tommy...), and everything else.

Is the baby mine?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users