Artillery Reality Check

arty

• Please log in to reply
567 replies to this topic

Poll: A poll for fun (612 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

Arty

1. I greatly dislike it. (276 votes [45.10%])

Percentage of vote: 45.10%

2. I dislike it. (69 votes [11.27%])

Percentage of vote: 11.27%

3. I am neutral (87 votes [14.22%])

Percentage of vote: 14.22%

4. I like it. (86 votes [14.05%])

Percentage of vote: 14.05%

5. I greatly like it. (94 votes [15.36%])

Percentage of vote: 15.36%

Vote Hide poll

WildSudowoodo #521 Posted Nov 25 2015 - 23:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25544 battles

I can't remember how long ago my last battle was, but it seems like it's been around two months. The reason I stopped was because of artillery. This game is amazingly fun with no artillery in battle, but when it is in battle, and when it becomes frustrating, it's time to find something else to do.

Actually it's been like that for a while, but I continued to play because I felt like I had an obligation to the clan I was previously in. If not for them I'd have stopped a long time ago.

Edited by WildSudowoodo, Nov 25 2015 - 23:53.

uMadXD #522 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 00:18

Major

• Players
  • 20052 battles

View Postbadperson, on Nov 25 2015 - 15:21, said:

Because skill is defined by the context.  Arty is in the game.  It is shooting at you.  There is no idealized arty-free WoT until and unless WG decides to make it so. 

And as far as your insults regarding my own (admittedly mediocre) skill:    Imagine a hypothetical uMadXD clone that plays exactly as well as the original uMadXD in every possible way, except for being able to deal with arty without getting emotional about it.  Your clone would be slightly better than you at the game.  In other words, this imaginary clone of yours has more skill.

Personally, I accept that I am not G-d nor a unicum and therefore sometimes I'm gonna be the one getting rained on.

Sounds like arty was doing it's job correctly then.  Deal with it, or get your Atari out and play the tank game that you think WoT is supposed to be.

Skill is reflected by one's WR and Wn8. The ones who have the highest WR and Wn8 all tend to dislike arty.

and thanks for admitting arty nullifies skill.

View PostCinphul, on Nov 25 2015 - 15:51, said:

I read it just fine - you said there's not much you can do when you have to get into a position that isn't safe from arty.(push up a chokepoint or w/e).  My response is that you never "have to" get into any specific position, you are choosing to.

He seems reasonably good to me?

Yes, you have to push up in order to win. Is that not true? Camping in the back to be arty safe is not a good way to play this game m8.

"reasonably good" is not good enough to make assumptions regarding skill.

Guest_Heldar_* #523 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 00:26

View Postbadperson, on Nov 25 2015 - 14:51, said:

Nope, but nice try at psychoanalyzing.  I'm sure you're a doctor of some kind.  I'm actually the guy that slams a 155 into someone like you looking for me when the game goes South.  And I am not shy about attempting a last-ditch ram kill for the humiliation points.

And of course I don't understand why something is bad when it's actually one of the best things in the game.  I'm not here to play Battlezone 3000.  I'm here to play WoT.  Perhaps you should try playing WoT instead of getting mad that it isn't Battlezone 3000.  This is a richer and more complicated game than that one.

Spoiler

No wonder youre bad@tonks.   There is a reason why the vast majority of good players dislike arty.   It negates skill, completely rng dependent and is the class that camps more than any other class - ironic since its supposed to stop camping.  But you dont understand any of that.

badperson #524 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 00:40

Captain

• Players
  • 46789 battles

View PostuMadXD, on Nov 26 2015 - 00:18, said:

Skill is reflected by one's WR and Wn8. The ones who have the highest WR and Wn8 all tend to dislike arty.

Yes, you have to push up in order to win. Is that not true?

View PostHeldar, on Nov 26 2015 - 00:26, said:

No wonder youre bad@tonks.

WHOOSH!

It's your choice not to change... just don't expect the world to change for you

uMadXD #525 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 01:12

Major

• Players
  • 20052 battles

View Postbadperson, on Nov 25 2015 - 16:40, said:

WHOOSH!

It's your choice not to change... just don't expect the world to change for you

change? what do you mean by change? play bad like 90% of the arty apologists?

Edited by uMadXD, Nov 26 2015 - 01:12.

LOL_i_CLICKED_u #526 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 02:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29596 battles

Your whinerate is amazing. Clearly the best at it! Please keep telling us arty all about how awful your online gaming has been!

We're very interested about your feelings!

Cinphul #527 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 03:06

Major

• Players
  • 36201 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

View PostuMadXD, on Nov 25 2015 - 18:18, said:

Not all, don't use blanket statements.  And while many do, I've found most dislike it because it prevents them from getting to those positions where they can dominate an area of the map.  Which, again, is why I think arty is a good thing.

Block Quote

Yes, you have to push up in order to win. Is that not true? Camping in the back to be arty safe is not a good way to play this game m8.

You're presenting a false dilemma fallacy - just because you can't go to your ideal spot doesn't mean you have to be camping in back.

Block Quote

"reasonably good" is not good enough to make assumptions regarding skill.

Sure it is.

WildSudowoodo #528 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 04:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25544 battles
Cinphul, the dislike feature was removed because the forum admins felt bad for you.

Pakratte #529 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 05:14

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12557 battles

View PostWildSudowoodo, on Nov 25 2015 - 22:37, said:

Cinphul, the dislike feature was removed because the forum admins felt bad for you.

I kek'd 

Haven't seen a game without arty in a while, are more people playing arty lately? Its scaring me because I had to camp in my IS-3 when a T92 was in play. Pretty much all I did the whole game was in that one spot harassing a Jagzilla.

uMadXD #530 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 07:35

Major

• Players
  • 20052 battles

View PostCinphul, on Nov 25 2015 - 19:06, said:

Not all, don't use blanket statements.  And while many do, I've found most dislike it because it prevents them from getting to those positions where they can dominate an area of the map.  Which, again, is why I think arty is a good thing.

Let me correct you. Many people dislike it because it prevents people from dominating, through sheer luck. I wouldn't mind if someone uses skill to take me out, but I do mind when a camper sitting on the red line just gets lucky and 1shots me(or splash me for 500+ dmg + broken crew/mods)

You're presenting a false dilemma fallacy - just because you can't go to your ideal spot doesn't mean you have to be camping in back.

That's the only way you can be arty safe. If you're actually playing the game and trying to win, you're going to have to push up and eventually get hit by arty.

Sure it is.

No it isn't.

View PostLOL_i_CLICKED_u, on Nov 25 2015 - 18:45, said:

Your whinerate is amazing. Clearly the best at it! Please keep telling us arty all about how awful your online gaming has been!

We're very interested about your feelings!

Lol typical arty player. Plays arty just to grieve people. Just shows what a garbage mechanic arty is if it's what grievers use.

Edited by uMadXD, Nov 26 2015 - 07:37.

Cinphul #531 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 18:50

Major

• Players
  • 36201 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

View PostuMadXD, on Nov 26 2015 - 01:35, said:

Let me correct you. Many people dislike it because it prevents people from dominating, through sheer luck. I wouldn't mind if someone uses skill to take me out, but I do mind when a camper sitting on the red line just gets lucky and 1shots me(or splash me for 500+ dmg + broken crew/mods)

Good tank players very consistently perform better in arty than bad tank players, so this notion that arty operates on sheer luck is either blind ignorance, or willful ignorance.  Either way it doesn't really matter which - it's still ignorance.  But what's most amusing about your post is the fact that you attempt to reinforce your ignorant sheer luck nonsense by resorting to ranting about 1shots kills, because clearly that's not making a mountain out of an ant hill.  

By the way, the next time you want to correct someone, try to have an at least vaguely coherent argument.

Block Quote

That's the only way you can be arty safe. 

Presenting another false dilemma fallacy to support your first false dilemma fallacy is just absurd.

Block Quote

If you're actually playing the game and trying to win, you're going to have to push up and eventually get hit by arty.

What contrived garbage.  I've played many, many games with arty where I carried the team to a win, and the enemy arty never touched me.  Stop posting crap nonsense.  Hell, I was recently in a game where I was not in an arty safe position once - not for a single second, yet I had 6 kills and did around 4k damage (tier 8 battle), all despite being completely exposed the entire game.  Arty is a risk, but it's not an overwhelming one, nor is it completely unpredictable.

Block Quote

No it isn't.

Yeah, you're just wrong.

Block Quote

Lol typical arty player. Plays arty just to grieve people. Just shows what a garbage mechanic arty is if it's what grievers use.

He didn't say anything that would indicate he just plays to grief people...?

Edited by Cinphul, Nov 26 2015 - 18:53.

Pakratte #532 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 18:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12557 battles

View PostCinphul, on Nov 26 2015 - 12:50, said:

He didn't say anything that would indicate he just plays to grief people...?

Don't think too hard now.

Cinphul #533 Posted Nov 26 2015 - 18:53

Major

• Players
  • 36201 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

View PostPakratte, on Nov 26 2015 - 12:52, said:

Don't think too hard now.

Based on your posts, you aren't capable of thinking much at all.

SinisterMist #534 Posted Nov 27 2015 - 00:57

Captain

• Players
  • 11769 battles
I have a fundamental issue with a tank that I can't see, which can shoot from multiple angles, over cover,and miss me, yet still take out my ammorack and deal 600 damage. It doesn't matter if it doesn't happen very often to me. It can and occasionally does happen. You might not agree but I feel as though there is an issue with that. 

Cinphul #535 Posted Nov 27 2015 - 03:05

Major

• Players
  • 36201 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

View Postianizor1000, on Nov 26 2015 - 18:57, said:

I have a fundamental issue with a tank that I can't see, which can shoot from multiple angles, over cover,and miss me, yet still take out my ammorack and deal 600 damage. It doesn't matter if it doesn't happen very often to me. It can and occasionally does happen. You might not agree but I feel as though there is an issue with that. 

On the contrary, it's perfectly fine to not like that.  Heck, I don't like to get hit by arty either.  However, I understand it's purpose in the game and I believe it over all positively impacts game play by preventing camping in certain key spots.  And I enjoy both playing it and the additional challenge it presents.

SinisterMist #536 Posted Nov 27 2015 - 04:20

Captain

• Players
  • 11769 battles

View PostCinphul, on Nov 26 2015 - 20:05, said:

On the contrary, it's perfectly fine to not like that.  Heck, I don't like to get hit by arty either.  However, I understand it's purpose in the game and I believe it over all positively impacts game play by preventing camping in certain key spots.  And I enjoy both playing it and the additional challenge it presents.

I understand it's purpose in the game, but feel as though because of it's randomness by nature of rng taking a greater affect on it, it doesn't perform it's intended roll. Because of it's high alpha, it doesn't matter if you were camping for 3 seconds or 2 minutes the results can be the same. If I'm in the open for 30 seconds or drive through it for 5, the results can be the same. It's too random for a game that I enjoy because of it's strategic and tactical gameplay. My biggest gripe that WG should change is why arty can see trees and buildings knocked down and destroyed. Why can it do that? It doesn't even need a scout! It really adds to the affect of "orbital death laser." 

Cinphul #537 Posted Nov 27 2015 - 05:02

Major

• Players
  • 36201 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

View Postianizor1000, on Nov 26 2015 - 22:20, said:

I understand it's purpose in the game, but feel as though because of it's randomness by nature of rng taking a greater affect on it, it doesn't perform it's intended roll. Because of it's high alpha, it doesn't matter if you were camping for 3 seconds or 2 minutes the results can be the same. If I'm in the open for 30 seconds or drive through it for 5, the results can be the same. It's too random for a game that I enjoy because of it's strategic and tactical gameplay. My biggest gripe that WG should change is why arty can see trees and buildings knocked down and destroyed. Why can it do that? It doesn't even need a scout! It really adds to the affect of "orbital death laser." 

Nonsense.  The only thing arty punishes with any sort of consistently is repetition and predictability.  Learn how to not be repetitive and predictable, and you'll be far less likely to be a target - going to the same awesome corner that everyone goes to every game, but you're the first to get there this time, is not at all what it means to be unpredictable...  I mean seriously, if you're exposing for 3 seconds and eating an arty round, you did something wrong.  Don't blame the arty for that - that's your failure because you were either repetitive or predictable.

SinisterMist #538 Posted Nov 27 2015 - 05:07

Captain

• Players
  • 11769 battles

View PostCinphul, on Nov 26 2015 - 22:02, said:

Nonsense.  The only thing arty punishes with any sort of consistently is repetition and predictability .  Learn how to not be repetitive and predictable, and you'll be far less likely to be a target.  And going to the same awesome corner that everyone goes to every game, but you're the first to get there this time, is not at all what it means to be unpredictable...  I mean seriously, if you're exposing for 3 seconds and eating an arty round, you did something wrong.  Don't blame the arty for that - that's your failure because you were either repetitive or predictable.

Lol I don't get hit all that often. Unless I'm in my IS-7, but that's kind've to be expected. You act like an arty has to fully aim in to wreck your day. To do it relatively consistently, yes t does, but it doesn't have to be fully aimed to connect and deal massive damage. I said that it CAN have the same effect not that it always will. Also, you neglected to consider the other half of my post. 

P.S. Is having a massive chunk of health taken off and multiple damaged modules a fair punishment for making a mistake and being exposed for 3 seconds?

Blackhorse_Six_ #539 Posted Nov 27 2015 - 05:22

Major

• Players
  • 48160 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

Artillery has a role in the game but the tubes need to be taken off the map and replaced by an FO-module on other tanks supplied with consumables representing different bores of artillery, ranging from 81mm mortars to 8-inch+, each bore-size progressively more expensive in credits and speed of delivery.

Consumables could be further divided into Dedicated, Direct, and General Support delays, just as they were in the table-tops of yore ...

Cinphul #540 Posted Nov 27 2015 - 16:15

Major

• Players
  • 36201 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

View Postianizor1000, on Nov 26 2015 - 23:07, said:

Lol I don't get hit all that often. Unless I'm in my IS-7, but that's kind've to be expected. You act like an arty has to fully aim in to wreck your day. To do it relatively consistently, yes t does, but it doesn't have to be fully aimed to connect and deal massive damage. I said that it CAN have the same effect not that it always will.

What the...?  Oh, I see, you've only played very low tier arty, no wonder you think arty can snap shot - you don't have any idea at all how massive the aiming reticle gets as the tier / caliber increases.  And while a high tier arty might be able to get away with taking 12 seconds to aim instead of 15, the fact that it takes 30+ seconds to reload generally makes this a very bad idea.

Block Quote

Also, you neglected to consider the other half of my post.

That has nothing to do with arty, it's a server / client issue.

Block Quote

P.S. Is having a massive chunk of health taken off and multiple damaged modules a fair punishment for making a mistake and being exposed for 3 seconds?

Again, if you get hit when you expose for 3 seconds, you were either predictable or repetitive, which yes, that is your fault.

Also tagged with arty

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users