Want to win more? Premium Tanks and their uses

SaskO Want to win more Premium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Sask_Outrider #1 Posted May 08 2015 - 23:43

Major

• Players
  • 32136 battles

Please note:  If you do not believe you have control over your win rate please read this post: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/227903-the-ruthless-math-of-wot-and-why-every-tank-matters/

If you still do not believe go find your tin foil hat, put it on, and stop reading this thread.

This is a post in a series of posts on what you can do to win more.  Here is a link to the "table of contents" of the series: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/337049-sask-outriders-want-to-win-more-series/

Premium tanks are tanks that you can purchase with gold in the game and/or in the gift shop.  They are generally better than a stock tank of the same tier but not as good as a fully researched tank.  Many have massive weaknesses with strengths that make up for the weakness.  There is a recent exception to this with the introduction of the "Berlin" tanks which appear to be as good if not better than their fully upgraded standard tank comparisons.  There are 3 reasons to purchase a premium tank.  One of the reasons is very very bad while the other two are very good reasons.

Reason 1: I want to play higher tier games

Reason 1 is the very very bad reason.  As a rule of thumb I would suggest never buying a premium tank that is higher tier than the highest tier standard tank you own.  The level of play get steadily better as you go up the tiers and if you are used to playing tier 4 games buying a tier 8 premium tank will lead you to a lot of heartache and ridicule.

Reason 2: Credit Generation

Premium tanks have higher income generating potential than normal tanks.  Even a bad game in a tier 8 premium tank will generate 10,000+ credits.  When you get to the higher tiers you will find yourself cash poor if you continually grind to higher tier tanks.  Personally I have two tier 10 tanks research that I have not bought yet due to limited credits.  If I calculate the amount of credits I have spent on tier 10 tanks alone I am have spent more than 100,000,000 credits.  That is a lot of credits to grind.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is the cost of the tank.

• A tier 8 premium heavy tank will set up back 12,300 gold (if you do not buy it on sale and include the garage slot). 
  • If you add in equipment you will be out an additional 1,500,000 in credits. 
  • If you convert the gold into credits that means that a tier 8 premium heavy tank will cost you 6,420,000 credits. 

So you are starting 6,420,000 in the hole after you purchase the tank.

It will take you 214 games (averaging 30,000 a game which is 50% higher than vbaddict says is average) to break even

It will take you an additional 214 games to make the the same amount of credits you could have gotten from simply purchasing the credits using gold.

This means that the premium tank is only worth purchasing if you plan on playing more than 428 games or if you are good enough to average more than 30,000 credits per game.

Reason 3: Grinding Crews

IMHO the best reason to purchase a premium tank is for grinding crews.  I personally have 4 skill crews in all my American heavy and medium tier 10's because of premium tanks.  Having a good crew in a tank makes the tank and premium tanks are excellent for this purpose.  Premium tanks also get bonus experience which really helps.

Note: A crew from a standard tank can be moved to a premium tank of the same nation and class with no penalty to performance.  This is critical to remember and will allow you to double double your crew by playing the crew in the standard tank for the daily double and then move it to the premium tank for a second double.

How do you choose?

The first consideration is the tier you are currently playing.  As I stated under Reason 1 you should not purchase a premium tank that is higher tier than your current highest tier standard tank.  If you are serious about this game I would personally wait until you get to tier 8 and are comfortable before purchasing a premium tank.  I would make sure I chose a premium tank with a similar crew configuration as the tanks you are grinding.  I would almost never purchase a premium tank for credit generation alone.  For example when I looked at the Berlin tanks I decided to only buy the Cromwell because I do not need to grind my Russian heavy, TD, or medium crews.

Premium tanks add a dimension to the game that can get newbs in trouble but will allow top players to better afford the game.

Thoughts?

SaskO

Mydragonsfly #2 Posted May 08 2015 - 23:55

Major

• Players
  • 8384 battles

Add in fun factor/replayability perhaps?

I'd never buy a light, but the speed and gun of the m22 locust just couldn't be passed up. If you're not having fun in it, why buy it?

Ecksdeee #3 Posted May 08 2015 - 23:55

Major

• Players
  • 17178 battles
  • [WRPCK] WRPCK
Have a green number.

Sask_Outrider #4 Posted May 09 2015 - 00:00

Major

• Players
  • 32136 battles

View PostMydragonsfly, on May 08 2015 - 16:55, said:

Add in fun factor/replayability perhaps?

I'd never buy a light, but the speed and gun of the m22 locust just couldn't be passed up. If you're not having fun in it, why buy it?

but we players with better than a 51% win rate do not play for fun.  Just ask a sub 48%er.

geraldo_50 #5 Posted May 09 2015 - 00:01

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 48130 battles
premiun have 10 tanks in my garage 5 tier 8 and other tier 6/5 my average profit with them that's what you talked about bad games already with 30,000 tier 8 net average good games is 60,000, do a day more 2,000,000 on average playing 8 to 12 hours'm a bad player.: Trollface:

Themutt36 #6 Posted May 09 2015 - 00:12

Captain

• Players
  • 20461 battles

One more reason...

To make the devs some $$$$:B

Mydragonsfly #7 Posted May 09 2015 - 01:29

Major

• Players
  • 8384 battles

View PostSask_Outrider, on May 08 2015 - 17:00, said:

but we players with better than a 51% win rate do not play for fun.  Just ask a sub 48%er.

I'm a 51 - 52% player yet I play for fun...  :confused:

Dare to be different I guess...

Sask_Outrider #8 Posted May 09 2015 - 05:38

Major

• Players
  • 32136 battles

View PostMydragonsfly, on May 08 2015 - 18:29, said:

I'm a 51 - 52% player yet I play for fun...  :confused:

Dare to be different I guess...

I was trying to be funny.

Also tagged with SaskO, Want to win more, Premium

1 user(s) are reading this topic