• 28100 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

The last ones:

How to draw an FV304

How to draw an Ru 251

How to draw an ELC AMX

How to draw a KV-2

How to draw a Cent Mk. 7/1

Requested by tankguy1295, and... well, I'm certain this is a "must-do" if I'm going to make a series of these drawing guides, is my next guide: The M4 Sherman.

I decided to do an M4 Sherman in the configuration we see it in WoT once too often- upgraded turret, but with that chunky 105. Admittedly, my M4 in my garage is currently in that configuration anyways, so I can use that as a reference.

Started off with the side of the hull. The straight line over the tracks is the very first thing I drew. The curve was hard to get right- I had to compare with the reference a lot... in fact, the curvy nature of the M4 makes it quite difficult to hammer straight on the head, let alone in a 3D perspective. Not a lot of depth in this angle, but still difficult.

Here I got started on the depth. I'll be altering it quite a lot from step to step though.

Starting on the turret, the details were quite important, and good to use as a reference, so I drew it all out... even the cuploas. The turret face I'm also going to be changing a lot from step to step as I get a better look at the perspective, going along.

Here I get started on the running gear. A lot of you are thinking the M4 Sherman's running gear is kinda modular and isolated, so it'd be easier, right? HAH! Wrong. It's very difficult to make them look right to the real-life ones... and get the angling right. I also had to scale them to fit perfectly in the undercarriage, so a lot of skewing and scaling went on. Took me quite awhile, I think the running gear took me longer than the turret.

I finished the running gear and it was at this point I realized the turret was insanely tiny compared to the rest of the tank. For those screaming at me after the past two steps that the turret was too small, DON'T worry! I noticed, and I will fix it. :teethhappy:

Here's the upscaled turret, yeay Photoshop! I also took the opportunity to work on the front a bit. I also did the front drive sprocket... which was pretty time consuming.

Hull details, gun, and some other final touches. Pretty much done!

Here's the final image, with the guides on the tracks and some decals and shading.

Hope you guys like the guides, I kinda enjoy doing them(a bit too much, really. Need to focus on finals) and I'll see if I can do the WZ-120 next since someone on the FV304 topic requested that... but the KV-4 is coming tonight too. Again, I will consider requests if any of you tankers have any tanks you'd like to see in a guide.

Album Link: http://imgur.com/a/4dYmf

SpeatyPants #2 Posted May 11 2015 - 03:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14268 battles
Dayum nice medessec! And thanks for taking my suggestion for the fv304! :D your drawings are amazing!!!

Edited by SpeatyPants, May 11 2015 - 03:49.

Cl0r0x_4_U #3 Posted May 11 2015 - 03:57

Major

• Players
  • 28593 battles
  • [KANT0] KANT0
IS7 Next Plz :3 and Maybe Type 59? :P

Globemaster1998 #4 Posted May 11 2015 - 03:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 17073 battles
Fantastico!!!  Could you do a Tiger I and plz color it in summer camouflage?

Medessec #5 Posted May 11 2015 - 04:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 28100 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

View Post_Tsavo_, on May 11 2015 - 02:24, said:

Well done, I approve.  

I think you mentioned it once before, but you're using a Cintiq, right?  <3 me some Cintiq (even if my own personal one is a little really old)

Thanks! And I think we've been over it on another topic of the forum before... at the moment I use a Thinkpad X60 Tablet (can be found on ebay for $100-$150) for most of my sketches and even my color stuff- and I have an Intuos tablet that sees rare action for more precise stuffs... but I hate sketching on something and not seeing it where my hand is. Makes no sense to me. I hope at some point to get one of them Cintiq Companions though, for sure. Once I get a proper job.

View PostSpeatyPants, on May 11 2015 - 02:41, said:

Dayum nice medessec! And thanks for taking my suggestion for the fv304! :D your drawings are amazing!!!

Appreciate it! Yeah, the FV304 so far is probably one of the easier ones, not just for me... but others if they plan on taking advantage of the guides, so I'm glad I did it. :harp:

View PostThe_DireWolf, on May 11 2015 - 02:54, said:

Great job man! Will definitely be drawing some of these with slight modifications.

Funny how you always find something obscure to do when you should be studying... drawing tanks, example 1 :P

Looking forward to seeing it if you plan on posting it!

And yeah... when it comes to priorities... I'm quite fail. But, eh. One needs to keep trying new things.

View Postcaptainspetsnaz, on May 11 2015 - 02:57, said:

IS7 Next Plz :3 and Maybe Type 59? :P

IS7 sounds like a neat one to try... actually was looking to try one of the pike-nosed heavies at some point. The Type 59 and WZ-120 are pretty much close to the same tank(aside from the gun and all the other stuffs), so I'll be doing the WZ soon and hopefully that will fit the bill.

View PostGlobemaster1998, on May 11 2015 - 02:58, said:

Fantastico!!!  Could you do a Tiger I and plz color it in summer camouflage?

Color it? Ergh... maybe. A color drawing takes a lot more time, but I was definitely planning to do the Tiger I at some point. I'll have to make a decision!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users