Jump to content


Newbie Live Stream Redux

YouTube Channel iAmEbola Learning All Tiers Reinventing

  • Please log in to reply
8299 replies to this topic

westdccs #8281 Posted Sep 15 2017 - 14:45

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 16255 battles
  • 2,310
  • Member since:
    11-15-2014

Ok, so I've determined that the tanks I seem to be able to use to improve my overall win rate:

 

  1. Cromwell B -- as long as I don't get myself into trouble with the mobility, I can fairly reliably influence outcomes. I did find it funny in a battle yesterday that a friendly KV-85 decided to yolo a group of tanks thinking I would be foolish enough to drive up with him. He was taken out and then spent the rest of the match blaming me for his death. However, I was able to help a friendly MT-25 beat 5 opponents by ourselves simply by using the strengths of the Cromwell -- mobility, view range, and flanking. After the battle, I looked up this guy and he had a 9k PR, so he KNEW better than to YOLO in front of five enemy guns. 
  2. SU-100 -- I love this tank. The gun is hard hitting and can easily remove injured tanks from the game quickly. The biggest challenges with the tank is getting a good position close enough to hit targets reliably and still remain concealed. The gun is great at ranges under 300m, but over that distance it misses a lot. I have to really focus on the bigger tanks (size wise) because I know it will flat out miss many shots on the smaller tanks at ranges beyond 300m.
  3. KV-85 -- This tank is probably one of my favorites. I just wish I had a little more gun depression as I have to either wait for tanks to crest ridges in their attempts to come over and get me. I've also learned NOT to rely on side scraping at all with this tank. It can be done, but often the gun forces you to pull out further than you would like to get it to point downward enough for a shot. 

 

Since running these tanks, I have lifted my daily Win Rate from the low 50s to almost 60%. I'm also noticing that I'm much more consistent with them. This brings me to a question:

 

Which tanks play like these above tier 6? I do have the IS-2 and I know in a lot of ways it plays much like the KV-85, but that reload and the high likelihood of missing!


Edited by westdccs, Sep 15 2017 - 15:14.


TheHQ #8282 Posted Sep 15 2017 - 17:59

    Captain

  • Players
  • 29743 battles
  • 1,383
  • [MUG-M] MUG-M
  • Member since:
    02-15-2013

View Postwestdccs, on Sep 15 2017 - 06:45, said:

Ok, so I've determined that the tanks I seem to be able to use to improve my overall win rate:

 

  1. Cromwell B -- as long as I don't get myself into trouble with the mobility, I can fairly reliably influence outcomes. I did find it funny in a battle yesterday that a friendly KV-85 decided to yolo a group of tanks thinking I would be foolish enough to drive up with him. He was taken out and then spent the rest of the match blaming me for his death. However, I was able to help a friendly MT-25 beat 5 opponents by ourselves simply by using the strengths of the Cromwell -- mobility, view range, and flanking. After the battle, I looked up this guy and he had a 9k PR, so he KNEW better than to YOLO in front of five enemy guns. 
  2. SU-100 -- I love this tank. The gun is hard hitting and can easily remove injured tanks from the game quickly. The biggest challenges with the tank is getting a good position close enough to hit targets reliably and still remain concealed. The gun is great at ranges under 300m, but over that distance it misses a lot. I have to really focus on the bigger tanks (size wise) because I know it will flat out miss many shots on the smaller tanks at ranges beyond 300m.
  3. KV-85 -- This tank is probably one of my favorites. I just wish I had a little more gun depression as I have to either wait for tanks to crest ridges in their attempts to come over and get me. I've also learned NOT to rely on side scraping at all with this tank. It can be done, but often the gun forces you to pull out further than you would like to get it to point downward enough for a shot. 

 

Since running these tanks, I have lifted my daily Win Rate from the low 50s to almost 60%. I'm also noticing that I'm much more consistent with them. This brings me to a question:

 

Which tanks play like these above tier 6? I do have the IS-2 and I know in a lot of ways it plays much like the KV-85, but that reload and the high likelihood of missing!

 

Both the soviet IS and Chines IS-2 have the option to mount the 100mm gun but it doesnt really have the same punch. But theyre more accurate, have better APCR penetration, but only the USSR tank gets better dpm with the 100mm

 

nothing really plays like the cromwell unless you want a AMX CDC or to play light tanks.


Edited by TheHQ, Sep 15 2017 - 18:01.


westdccs #8283 Posted Sep 15 2017 - 18:01

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 16255 battles
  • 2,310
  • Member since:
    11-15-2014
Unfortunately, this is the Berlin Pack IS-2, so there is only one gun available for it. I have the IS unlocked and I've thought about moving my crew into it so I can start up that tree. Does it tend to play more like the KV-85?

TheHQ #8284 Posted Sep 15 2017 - 18:06

    Captain

  • Players
  • 29743 battles
  • 1,383
  • [MUG-M] MUG-M
  • Member since:
    02-15-2013
you could always mount the 100mm gun on the IS, but tbh the IS's 122mm gun isnt all that much different alpha-wise from the 105mm/100mm guns found on teir 7 heavies/TDs. Its similar enough I guess

GAJohnnie #8285 Posted Sep 15 2017 - 20:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 9046 battles
  • 6,193
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_
  • Member since:
    12-22-2012

Really odd thing. I ground the IS to the IS-3. I  bought the IS-2B quite a while ago and ran both at the same time.

 

I did so much better in the IS-2B, I sold the IS as soon as I got the IS-3. I cannot explain why but the IS seems really inferior to the IS-2B. Same crew but the IS just feels underwhelming compared to the IS-2B



GAJohnnie #8286 Posted Sep 18 2017 - 14:18

    Major

  • Players
  • 9046 battles
  • 6,193
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_
  • Member since:
    12-22-2012

Anyone have the Valentine II Russian Light tier IV premium?

 

What are you thought on it?



TheHQ #8287 Posted Sep 18 2017 - 19:11

    Captain

  • Players
  • 29743 battles
  • 1,383
  • [MUG-M] MUG-M
  • Member since:
    02-15-2013

View PostGAJohnnie, on Sep 15 2017 - 12:50, said:

Really odd thing. I ground the IS to the IS-3. I  bought the IS-2B quite a while ago and ran both at the same time.

 

I did so much better in the IS-2B, I sold the IS as soon as I got the IS-3. I cannot explain why but the IS seems really inferior to the IS-2B. Same crew but the IS just feels underwhelming compared to the IS-2B

 

hm looking at the IS model, you see its upper hull is two distinct plates, one of them is nearly flat, and the other an autobounce angle. The nearly flat one is about 130mm effective armor head on. The IS-2 however has a single upperplate with a uniform 160-170mm effective armor head on (excluding drivers hatch). This means that driving the IS-2 would allow you bounce AP rounds from the long german 75, short german 88, american 90mm gun, and the american 76mm whereas the IS would not bounce any of those guns and would be a 50/50 with the american 76

 

View PostGAJohnnie, on Sep 18 2017 - 06:18, said:

Anyone have the Valentine II Russian Light tier IV premium?

 

What are you thought on it?

 

Pz B2 is better, or you can be a true stetpedder and get the French B1 bis for teir 5 APCR memes



GAJohnnie #8288 Posted Sep 18 2017 - 20:28

    Major

  • Players
  • 9046 battles
  • 6,193
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_
  • Member since:
    12-22-2012

View PostTheHQ, on Sep 18 2017 - 13:11, said:

 

hm looking at the IS model, you see its upper hull is two distinct plates, one of them is nearly flat, and the other an autobounce angle. The nearly flat one is about 130mm effective armor head on. The IS-2 however has a single upperplate with a uniform 160-170mm effective armor head on (excluding drivers hatch). This means that driving the IS-2 would allow you bounce AP rounds from the long german 75, short german 88, american 90mm gun, and the american 76mm whereas the IS would not bounce any of those guns and would be a 50/50 with the american 76

 

 

Pz B2 is better, or you can be a true stetpedder and get the French B1 bis for teir 5 APCR memes

Thanks! I have the PzB2. Maybe I will have to give the French a try.



GAJohnnie #8289 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 14:48

    Major

  • Players
  • 9046 battles
  • 6,193
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_
  • Member since:
    12-22-2012
So HQ the B1 doesn't struggle in teir 5 with all the OI Exp spam?

westdccs #8290 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 15:20

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 16255 battles
  • 2,310
  • Member since:
    11-15-2014
Is it just me, or is there a vast difference between the SU-100 and the SU-152? I see the potential DPM for the SU-152 is around 3400 using the D-25S, but I can't seem to get the gun into the battle as often. It's not an issue with penetration, because I am able to damage just about every tank I see. I struggle getting shots in the first place. I move into similar positions that I use for the SU-100 and there never seem to be targets. Of course, some of this is the lack of good scouting (and we know there are very few pubbies that scout well). It just seems odd that I can dish out 1200-1500 damage easily with the SU-100, but I struggle to get the same damage in the SU-152. Any ideas?

GAJohnnie #8291 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 17:12

    Major

  • Players
  • 9046 battles
  • 6,193
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_
  • Member since:
    12-22-2012
I think the SU-100y seeing more 4s and 5s while the ISU sees more 8s and 9s makes a big difference.With the new tutorial and the rewards WG hands out to new players, seeing a lot more 4-5 players with less then 1000 games

mongoosejake #8292 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 21:19

    Major

  • Players
  • 30922 battles
  • 5,112
  • [S-F] S-F
  • Member since:
    11-02-2012

View PostGAJohnnie, on Sep 20 2017 - 08:48, said:

So HQ the B1 doesn't struggle in teir 5 with all the OI Exp spam?

 

Not seeing too much in the way of O-I Experimentals, at least not so much that it's a issue. 

 

The B1 and other tier 4 heavies (DW2 and Type 95) mainly see tier 4 battles and get to feast on tier 3's and 4's. Love those for fun games.



westdccs #8293 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 23:46

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 16255 battles
  • 2,310
  • Member since:
    11-15-2014

View PostGAJohnnie, on Sep 20 2017 - 10:12, said:

I think the SU-100y seeing more 4s and 5s while the ISU sees more 8s and 9s makes a big difference.With the new tutorial and the rewards WG hands out to new players, seeing a lot more 4-5 players with less then 1000 games

 

It was odd, but the majority of the problem is having access to targets. When you have a team that doesn't provide targets in the lanes where TD's typically fight, you have to go search for them. The other problem is the greed for damage keeps players in the way of shots. This doesn't just limit shots for TDs, it really does a number for top tier heavies as well. 

 

I was on Karelia as top tier in my IS-2. A T-150 decided to get in front of my and continue to poke a corner. Of course, he blocks many of my shots and ends up dying in front of me. Well, at least I have cover. 



TheHQ #8294 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 17:17

    Captain

  • Players
  • 29743 battles
  • 1,383
  • [MUG-M] MUG-M
  • Member since:
    02-15-2013

View PostGAJohnnie, on Sep 20 2017 - 06:48, said:

So HQ the B1 doesn't struggle in teir 5 with all the OI Exp spam?

 

The B1s turret is puny and gun handling is good, so hulldown, rocking back and forth at medium distance, and apcr memes are very effective against OI exps

GAJohnnie #8295 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 18:47

    Major

  • Players
  • 9046 battles
  • 6,193
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_
  • Member since:
    12-22-2012

View Postmongoosejake, on Sep 20 2017 - 15:19, said:

 

Not seeing too much in the way of O-I Experimentals, at least not so much that it's a issue. 

 

The B1 and other tier 4 heavies (DW2 and Type 95) mainly see tier 4 battles and get to feast on tier 3's and 4's. Love those for fun games.

 

View PostTheHQ, on Sep 21 2017 - 11:17, said:

 

The B1s turret is puny and gun handling is good, so hulldown, rocking back and forth at medium distance, and apcr memes are very effective against OI exps

 

So I have the German PZ2 which only sees teir 4. How is the B1 different?

westdccs #8296 Posted Sep 22 2017 - 13:23

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 16255 battles
  • 2,310
  • Member since:
    11-15-2014

So, I was doing well, bringing up my win rate using tanks like the Cromwell B, SU-100, M4 Jumbo, and Chaffee. Then yesterday I decided to grind out a few games in the T-32. It started well, good damage, good positions, good mm (i.e. a mix of top/mid/bottom tier with decent teams). So, when I came back online last night for a few more battles (only 8k left to unlock the M103), MM started treating me poorly again with a large disposition of bottom tier games and teams that melted within the first few minutes of the match. I was still getting decent damage (averaged around 1500 DPG), so I don't think it was my lack of ability with the T32.

 

It is VERY evident the T32 is a situational tank and does very little to help carry any matches. Hull down works only as long as you can intimidate the tanks putting pressure on you. Tier IX and X tanks just don't feel that pressured because they have enough HP to easily take one or two shots from my gun while they destroy my tank. Additionally, the gun handling of both the 90mm and the 105mm on this tank is lackluster at best. Fully aimed shots with a 2 skill crew often miss targets at distance, so sniping is almost out of the question. The gun handles well enough if the weak points of a close up enemy are large enough. As an example, I was firing at a KV-4 cupola and would hit 1 out of 3 times -- even though the KV-4 was 75m away and stationary. 

 

So, I'm totally hoping to get the 8k done in the next 50 or so games so I can unlock and purchase the M103. Then I'll have to build up my Free XP so I can at least unlock the tier 9 gun for it. So, since I'm so close to unlocking this tank, has anyone played it and do you have suggestions on how to be effective with it?



Dunfalach #8297 Posted Sep 23 2017 - 13:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 18528 battles
  • 4,681
  • [-APCR] -APCR
  • Member since:
    01-07-2012

View Postwestdccs, on Sep 22 2017 - 07:23, said:

So, I was doing well, bringing up my win rate using tanks like the Cromwell B, SU-100, M4 Jumbo, and Chaffee. Then yesterday I decided to grind out a few games in the T-32. It started well, good damage, good positions, good mm (i.e. a mix of top/mid/bottom tier with decent teams). So, when I came back online last night for a few more battles (only 8k left to unlock the M103), MM started treating me poorly again with a large disposition of bottom tier games and teams that melted within the first few minutes of the match. I was still getting decent damage (averaged around 1500 DPG), so I don't think it was my lack of ability with the T32.

 

It is VERY evident the T32 is a situational tank and does very little to help carry any matches. Hull down works only as long as you can intimidate the tanks putting pressure on you. Tier IX and X tanks just don't feel that pressured because they have enough HP to easily take one or two shots from my gun while they destroy my tank. Additionally, the gun handling of both the 90mm and the 105mm on this tank is lackluster at best. Fully aimed shots with a 2 skill crew often miss targets at distance, so sniping is almost out of the question. The gun handles well enough if the weak points of a close up enemy are large enough. As an example, I was firing at a KV-4 cupola and would hit 1 out of 3 times -- even though the KV-4 was 75m away and stationary. 

 

So, I'm totally hoping to get the 8k done in the next 50 or so games so I can unlock and purchase the M103. Then I'll have to build up my Free XP so I can at least unlock the tier 9 gun for it. So, since I'm so close to unlocking this tank, has anyone played it and do you have suggestions on how to be effective with it?

 

You have better stats than I do, so I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know here. :D And I'm definitely telling you something I nee to remember myself, because I've failed to keep it in mind several times. But for any hull down tank, it's important not to be alone exactly because tanks can charge and flank you. If you're alone, then there's a good chance that position is already lost. You have  a turret that can handle some shots from higher tiers, but not a tank that can take on higher tiers by itself. Even against 8s it's iffy to be isolated because the gun doesn't have an intimidating level of damage or a fast reload. So you need to make use of allies to make it costly for the enemy to try to push into you, buying your gun time to work. And another thing I'm bad about not doing...when you go into a position, know how you're going to get out of it and pay attention to when you need to start leaving before trouble develops and you can't get out.

 

I was just watching a light tank guide video, because I'm really not good with lights, and one thing that stood out to me was that he repeatedly focused on placing yourself for the purpose of tipping the balance of a flank in your team's favor to win that flank. Then go on to somewhere else. And I find a lot of time with my heavies, I'm just holding a flank, I'm not really focused on winning a flank. I'm thinking of myself in terms of not losing the flank rather than in terms of winning the flank. I usually do much better when I think in terms of winning it (even though it occasionally results in me overextending and dying stupidly when I haven't really realized what I'm up against).



TheHQ #8298 Posted Sep 24 2017 - 18:13

    Captain

  • Players
  • 29743 battles
  • 1,383
  • [MUG-M] MUG-M
  • Member since:
    02-15-2013

View PostGAJohnnie, on Sep 21 2017 - 10:47, said:

So I have the German PZ2 which only sees teir 4. How is the B1 different?

 

B1 has better dpm, pen (for both AP and APCR) shell velocity, for some reason 3 more alpha dmg, better on the move accuracy.



westdccs #8299 Posted Yesterday, 02:37 PM

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 16255 battles
  • 2,310
  • Member since:
    11-15-2014

View PostDunfalach, on Sep 23 2017 - 06:41, said:

 

You have better stats than I do, so I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know here. :D And I'm definitely telling you something I nee to remember myself, because I've failed to keep it in mind several times. But for any hull down tank, it's important not to be alone exactly because tanks can charge and flank you. If you're alone, then there's a good chance that position is already lost. You have  a turret that can handle some shots from higher tiers, but not a tank that can take on higher tiers by itself. Even against 8s it's iffy to be isolated because the gun doesn't have an intimidating level of damage or a fast reload. So you need to make use of allies to make it costly for the enemy to try to push into you, buying your gun time to work. And another thing I'm bad about not doing...when you go into a position, know how you're going to get out of it and pay attention to when you need to start leaving before trouble develops and you can't get out.

 

I was just watching a light tank guide video, because I'm really not good with lights, and one thing that stood out to me was that he repeatedly focused on placing yourself for the purpose of tipping the balance of a flank in your team's favor to win that flank. Then go on to somewhere else. And I find a lot of time with my heavies, I'm just holding a flank, I'm not really focused on winning a flank. I'm thinking of myself in terms of not losing the flank rather than in terms of winning the flank. I usually do much better when I think in terms of winning it (even though it occasionally results in me overextending and dying stupidly when I haven't really realized what I'm up against).

 

Yeah, isolation is one of the biggest problems with the T32. I never go somewhere alone in the tank, but I often end up alone because so many team mates die early. Often, they die in rapid succession and there is no way to back out since the tank simply isn't mobile enough. Even with an exit strategy, when you have 2 or 3 team mates die in quick succession, there isn't much of a chance to get clear of the area before the enemy pokes up from the ridge you were hiding behind and gets you in the rear as you are trying to reposition. 

 

I finally ground out to the M103. I can tell this tank has a much better gun and it definitely has the mobility missing from the T29 and T32. However, I do miss the turret of the T29 and T32 when in the M103. It just doesn't do much to bounce shots from top tier tanks. At least I'm never bottom tier in the tank -- that's probably the biggest plus. 

 


 

Speaking of bottom tier -- This is one thing that I noticed was especially bad over the weekend. Out of the 120 or so battles I was in over the weekend, I had no less than 80 of those as a bottom tier tank. I think this is having an adverse effect on the game and is leading more players to quit or go away until the next patch hoping somehow it will be better next time. I'm seeing a lot of complaints from team mates as well who have been in multiple battles back to back as bottom tier. I'm afraid that WG is going to end up losing a lot of NA players. We all know that you can still have a positive outcome on a battle when bottom tier (it's harder, for sure), but many of the players I'm seeing that have the biggest issue are new players who are just now getting into tiers 5-7. These players usually have less than 3k battles and win rates well below 45%, and of course, they are pointed out in every battle as the person who is going to cause us to lose the battle. 

 

I don't necessarily WG to get rid of the +/- 2 spread (I'm a bit upset they got rid of scout mm, as this was one of the biggest rewards for driving an LT well). However, it seems to me the favored template should be 5/10 with 3/5/7 and 0/0/15 as the fallback. At least in that situation, the top tier tanks are not dictating the full outcome of the battle and you have a greater chance of having someone in a top tier tank that can offset the others who may not be as strong. Maybe they should add another couple of templates to provide a little more randomness as well. Maybe 4/5/6, 2/6/7, 3/4/8, 6/9 as other options... then there would still be room for variety and other ways to pull tanks into more favorable battles.



GAJohnnie #8300 Posted Yesterday, 10:18 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 9046 battles
  • 6,193
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_
  • Member since:
    12-22-2012

View PostTheHQ, on Sep 24 2017 - 12:13, said:

 

B1 has better dpm, pen (for both AP and APCR) shell velocity, for some reason 3 more alpha dmg, better on the move accuracy.

 

Thank HQ!




3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users