• Please log in to reply
8379 replies to this topic

mongoosejake #8321 Posted Oct 09 2017 - 02:51

Major

• Players
  • 31521 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View PostSolidHex, on Oct 08 2017 - 18:40, said:

Got myself a Pz IV H now.  Had 31 battles in the Pz IV D with a 54% wr which can't be right cause it sure don't feel like it.

I've also finally gotten a bit past the 5k battle mark for what that's worth.

Welcome to the German side of WoT!

Just a personal note: I'd keep that Pz IV D, as it's a great tier 4 (one of the best mediums tier for tier in this game overall in my opinion). The Pz IV H is fun as a HE lobbing tank, but also can be effective with the 75mm as well. Personal preference will dictate what works best for you.

GAJohnnie #8322 Posted Oct 09 2017 - 13:33

Major

• Players
  • 9111 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostSolidHex, on Oct 08 2017 - 18:40, said:

Got myself a Pz IV H now.  Had 31 battles in the Pz IV D with a 54% wr which can't be right cause it sure don't feel like it.

I've also finally gotten a bit past the 5k battle mark for what that's worth.

PZIVD is one of the hidden gems of WOT. I have been thinking of picking it up again to help grind some German crews since I am going up the German lines

SolidHex #8323 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 00:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5058 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View Postmongoosejake, on Oct 08 2017 - 20:51, said:

Welcome to the German side of WoT!

Just a personal note: I'd keep that Pz IV D, as it's a great tier 4 (one of the best mediums tier for tier in this game overall in my opinion). The Pz IV H is fun as a HE lobbing tank, but also can be effective with the 75mm as well. Personal preference will dictate what works best for you.

I have been working on the Germans a little at a time and if I remember correctly the PZ II was my 1st tier 2 tank which I still have BTW. I do like the PZ IV D although that crew may be going into the H.

GAJohnnie #8324 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 15:39

Major

• Players
  • 9111 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostSolidHex, on Oct 09 2017 - 18:08, said:

I have been working on the Germans a little at a time and if I remember correctly the PZ II was my 1st tier 2 tank which I still have BTW. I do like the PZ IV D although that crew may be going into the H.

I really like the PZIvH too.I don't know why this tank clicks with me but it does. I have a 65.31 win rate over 32 games in it. If I knew how to use the derp gun, I would probably be doing even better in it.

I think I am going to do my basic German crew grinding in the PZIVH and just get out of the seal clubbing mess that is teir 4 all together. The PZIVH is just a comfy tank to play.

westdccs #8325 Posted Oct 11 2017 - 18:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 16441 battles

Huh, the topic was unpinned. Can't say I don't blame the mods -- the original purpose has long since died with the disappearance of the originator of the topic. Guess I'll have to pin it to my favorites to keep up with you guys.

I haven't been playing the past few days. I think a break was overdue because I was spending far too much time in game being frustrated by the number of losses I was getting. I'll still be playing, but I don't know that it will be nearly as much over the next few months. I'm hoping at some point they will address some of the big issues that have frustrated me (notated throughout this topic), but I can say it is good to be able to spend time doing other things and playing some other games. 

I've given up on playing the M109. It was the #1 reason my game play has been going downhill (well, that and the grind through the T32). I've decided that when I do play, I'm going to focus on the tanks I enjoy and stop focusing on grinds up any of the tech trees. My sweet spot is tier 5-7, so that's where I'll be playing most often. 

Because of the mess that is Tier 8 right now, I'm putting my Tier 8 tanks into mothball storage. Hopefully that will be addressed in a soon coming patch... there's nothing worse than playing 15 battles in a session and having to fight uphill every single time because of the severe disadvantage you face as the bottom tier tank in 12 of those battles. 

SolidHex #8326 Posted Oct 11 2017 - 23:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5058 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View Postwestdccs, on Oct 11 2017 - 12:28, said:

Huh, the topic was unpinned. Can't say I don't blame the mods -- the original purpose has long since died with the disappearance of the originator of the topic. Guess I'll have to pin it to my favorites to keep up with you guys.

I haven't been playing the past few days. I think a break was overdue because I was spending far too much time in game being frustrated by the number of losses I was getting. I'll still be playing, but I don't know that it will be nearly as much over the next few months. I'm hoping at some point they will address some of the big issues that have frustrated me (notated throughout this topic), but I can say it is good to be able to spend time doing other things and playing some other games. 

I've given up on playing the M109. It was the #1 reason my game play has been going downhill (well, that and the grind through the T32). I've decided that when I do play, I'm going to focus on the tanks I enjoy and stop focusing on grinds up any of the tech trees. My sweet spot is tier 5-7, so that's where I'll be playing most often. 

Because of the mess that is Tier 8 right now, I'm putting my Tier 8 tanks into mothball storage. Hopefully that will be addressed in a soon coming patch... there's nothing worse than playing 15 battles in a session and having to fight uphill every single time because of the severe disadvantage you face as the bottom tier tank in 12 of those battles. 

I noticed that too, no more pinned status.  I'm not sure of Johnnie's thoughts but I'm wondering how long to stay in _BOT_ as it seems to be a dead clan.  I guess if it truly dies that choice will be made for me. 

GAJohnnie #8327 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 16:18

Major

• Players
  • 9111 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostSolidHex, on Oct 11 2017 - 17:58, said:

I noticed that too, no more pinned status.  I'm not sure of Johnnie's thoughts but I'm wondering how long to stay in _BOT_ as it seems to be a dead clan.  I guess if it truly dies that choice will be made for me. 

Hey Solid

Yeah I have thought about moving on but since I am such a very casual player not really much point for me to be in an active clan. I know enough people that on the rare occasion I have time to play and want to platoon, I usually can find someone to play with outside a clan. My average game play is down to like maybe 1 game a day. I just have too many other interests to soak up my very limited free time. WOT is too much like work to be a fully enjoyable for me on a day in/day out baisis. When I do have time to play, I rarely have the energy to put this much effort into playing a game. WOT, to play it well, requires a lot more focus and effort then most games. The demands on my time might change some day so I hang on here but it doesn't look like changing any time soon.

So if you are interested in an active Clan, i would move on. If things ever change you can always come back.

GAJohnnie #8328 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 16:19

Major

• Players
  • 9111 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

Hey HQ

So  I got to the B1, only had time for 1 game but it is a riot of a tank. Thanks for the tip.

westdccs #8329 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 19:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 16441 battles

View PostGAJohnnie, on Oct 12 2017 - 09:18, said:

Hey Solid

Yeah I have thought about moving on but since I am such a very casual player not really much point for me to be in an active clan. I know enough people that on the rare occasion I have time to play and want to platoon, I usually can find someone to play with outside a clan. My average game play is down to like maybe 1 game a day. I just have too many other interests to soak up my very limited free time. WOT is too much like work to be a fully enjoyable for me on a day in/day out baisis. When I do have time to play, I rarely have the energy to put this much effort into playing a game. WOT, to play it well, requires a lot more focus and effort then most games. The demands on my time might change some day so I hang on here but it doesn't look like changing any time soon.

So if you are interested in an active Clan, i would move on. If things ever change you can always come back.

Yes, I agree that WOT has become less "fun" and more like "work" in the last few patches. You are almost guaranteed to be thrown into a game with some type of severe handicap that you either cannot overcome (i.e. your top tier tanks don't have a clue or make horrific mistakes) or you find yourself bouncing fully aimed shots from less than 50m with a gun that should EASILY penetrate the target. I don't know what has happened, but I have found that tanks like my Cromwell have been bouncing some of the easiest shots I've ever taken in the game because the shot takes a path that is far from the center reticle. 

I, like you, find that I have less and less time to enjoy any time of video game, so I've been spending a lot more time in games that are solo in nature (i.e. I can pause them and come back at a later time) or much more social in nature (i.e. Encourages a lot more team play in PvE environments). I find it is much more fun to play a game where your focus is on beating the game, not overcoming the lack of ability from other players. 

Don't get me wrong, I like being competitive. I still play a few competitive games where it really can be dog-eat-dog. I just think many of the competitive games I'm playing have a much better reward system in place where the player is rewarded for their work, even if they don't "win" the round. The rewards in WoT are not as appealing anymore, especially when you have multiple games where you fire 15-20 shots at an enemy tank with less than 50% hit ratio and less than 15% penetration/damage occurring. This is what I am referring to when I talk about a better reward system -- I should have contributed to the battle, but I couldn't because the systems in the game prevented it entirely. Plenty can argue that perhaps I wasn't aiming at weak spots (I was, they just missed), I was too far away (perhaps, but that argument falls apart when every shot was within 100m), I was too passive (that's unlikely, as I tend to be up front in many battles), or I was to aggressive (the most likely, but that still doesn't explain why a tank that has 150mm of pen can't pen a tank with less than 50mm of effective armor). 

I'm still going to play as time allows, but WoT has fallen from the ranks of games I must play to games I play when I'm in the mood. 

GAJohnnie #8330 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 21:24

Major

• Players
  • 9111 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

I have to agree West. I been looking at the recent missions vrs the rewards and saying "too much time, too little gain, why bother?"

Warships did something smart WOT should copy. They created rewards that are graduated. You can get a container in as little as 1 game if you play well. The more you play the better your rewards. It incentives the player to play every day even if only for a few games to get the daily reward.

SolidHex #8331 Posted Oct 13 2017 - 00:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5058 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostGAJohnnie, on Oct 12 2017 - 10:18, said:

Hey Solid

That's me in a way.  Last weekend was the first I had played in a month.  Not as neat as it seemed when I started but then there have been so many changes (some good and others...not so much) and maybe I can't quite keep up with them and all, especially being more of a casual player.   That keeps the game from being as fun as it could for me I guess.

Dunfalach #8332 Posted Oct 14 2017 - 01:44

Major

• Players
  • 18678 battles
  • [S-F] S-F
Speaking of clans....I just dropped tags in mine. I think I actually missed an exodus when not playing for a while, because it's been super quiet for months. So I finally decided to drop out of it.

mongoosejake #8333 Posted Oct 14 2017 - 11:36

Major

• Players
  • 31521 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

On the whole subject of clans... Now, I'm not trying to poach anyone from their current clan, but S-F would welcome anyone here anytime if any of you guys were looking for a new home. We're not big (we had over half of our active members leave to create a more competitive clan and we've been very slow to rebuild), but we're friendly and casual. No requirements other than play nice, literally. No abusing people in chat, no harassment, and vulgarity is to be kept to a minimum. That's it. 

The option is there anytime for any of you. Again, not trying to poach anyone who's happy, but rather offering a open ended invitation. 

SolidHex #8334 Posted Oct 14 2017 - 14:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5058 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

Thanks for the offer Jake.  It's something to think about.

Last night I did have a bit of fun, even if my W/R didn't rise (didn't fall either) and my stats probably didn't improve.  Had 2 decent games of over 1k damage and got another Pascucci (mind it only takes 2 arty kills to get it now).   Though I don't always do well in it I'm liking the Pz III/IV more as I get used to it and the crew gets closer to finishing their 1st skill/perk.

mongoosejake #8335 Posted Oct 14 2017 - 19:39

Major

• Players
  • 31521 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View PostSolidHex, on Oct 14 2017 - 08:57, said:

Thanks for the offer Jake.  It's something to think about.

Last night I did have a bit of fun, even if my W/R didn't rise (didn't fall either) and my stats probably didn't improve.  Had 2 decent games of over 1k damage and got another Pascucci (mind it only takes 2 arty kills to get it now).   Though I don't always do well in it I'm liking the Pz III/IV more as I get used to it and the crew gets closer to finishing their 1st skill/perk.

The Pz III/IV really comes to life once you get the hang of it, and particularly when you get the crew skilled up to where you have Recon on the commander trained high, snap shot is important on the gunner, smooth ride for the driver, and situational awareness on the radio op. You want to accentuate firing on the move, and try to compensate for the slightly low-ish viewrange.

TheHQ #8336 Posted Oct 16 2017 - 01:11

Captain

• Players
  • 31491 battles
Suddenly, a wild Mongoose appears!

Mongoose down

SolidHex #8337 Posted Oct 16 2017 - 02:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5058 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View Postmongoosejake, on Oct 14 2017 - 13:39, said:

The Pz III/IV really comes to life once you get the hang of it, and particularly when you get the crew skilled up to where you have Recon on the commander trained high, snap shot is important on the gunner, smooth ride for the driver, and situational awareness on the radio op. You want to accentuate firing on the move, and try to compensate for the slightly low-ish viewrange.

I think I've got those skills in training except for recon as the commander is working on 6th.

Dunfalach #8338 Posted Oct 16 2017 - 06:55

Major

• Players
  • 18678 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View Postmongoosejake, on Oct 14 2017 - 05:36, said:

On the whole subject of clans... Now, I'm not trying to poach anyone from their current clan, but S-F would welcome anyone here anytime if any of you guys were looking for a new home. We're not big (we had over half of our active members leave to create a more competitive clan and we've been very slow to rebuild), but we're friendly and casual. No requirements other than play nice, literally. No abusing people in chat, no harassment, and vulgarity is to be kept to a minimum. That's it. 

The option is there anytime for any of you. Again, not trying to poach anyone who's happy, but rather offering a open ended invitation. 

I'm going to ponder on taking you up on that. I don't play often, and am usually solo when I do partly because my playtime is kind of erratic, but having somewhere to snag a platoon now and then without the pressure of expectation to always be available would be nice. And the vulgarity to a minimum is a plus for me. One of the clans I was in before (not my last one), part of why I drifted away from it was they combined a requirement that everyone be logged into teamspeak when online with some members that were pretty heavy on vulgarity and profanity. It wasn't an issue when the clan was playing strongholds because there was radio discipline and focus on game-necessary chatter only, but when everyone was playing casual it got to be an overload for me.

View Postmongoosejake, on Oct 14 2017 - 13:39, said:

I find that Recon on commander and/or Situational Awareness on radio is hilarious at times. I have a tendency to prioritize it when I should probably be prioritizing repairs/camo first according to the accepted mantra, but it does give me some hilarity when I do things like park a little behind a light tank in my T-34-3 and unintentionally outspot them ;) Part of the reason I do prioritize it though is I know that close in fighting is not my strong suit, so I prioritize things that let me work distance; another reason is because there's still a high percentage of the time that light tanks on your team die early because they're less skilled players who take too much risk instead of managing their survival for late game. So there's been plenty of times that excess view range has meant I could spot something for my team as a front line heavy, a medium, or even sometimes a TD when there were no lights left to do it. Even some of my heavies sometimes get ridiculous spotting credits with other tanks in front of them :D

Dunfalach #8339 Posted Oct 16 2017 - 06:58

Major

• Players
  • 18678 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View PostSolidHex, on Oct 15 2017 - 20:50, said:

I think I've got those skills in training except for recon as the commander is working on 6th.

I usually train recon on my commander as first skill, then reset skills with gold when he reaches 100% to take 6th. Train recon again until another 100%, then reset for Brothers in Arms. And retrain recon again as third skill. That's not the conventional wisdom though, which is repairs or camo depending on the tank as the one that keeps training and reset, with recon coming in 4th skill. It's just my personal preference, because I've learned to love view range.

GAJohnnie #8340 Posted Oct 16 2017 - 13:22

Major

• Players
  • 9111 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

So gang

Speaking of crews. I picked up a couple of Tiger 131 BIA crews to train in my German Mediums. I have a couple of good German Heavy crews all ready.

Crews comes with BIA and I almost have them trained to 2nd skill. When I get to 100% what should I retrain them into?

Commander: 6th sense seems obvious.

Gunner?

Driver?

Loader?

Radio Operator: Situational Awareness seems like a good 2nd.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users