• Please log in to reply
11364 replies to this topic

GAJohnnie #9481 Posted Dec 04 2018 - 16:43

Major

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post_Promote_Synergy_, on Dec 04 2018 - 10:14, said:

Ah, the good old saying of throwing enough crap on the wall to see which will stick first.

Yep that or quit playing. And despite the frustration, I have yet to find a game anywhere that challenges me the same way WOT does. So I focus on damage and kills and am going to stop worring about the win/lose. Only thing I can control in game is me. So when I stink up the joint, I reflect on what I did wrong and then change it. My biggest problem is I have the aggression, I do not have the control.

I also need to go where I can be effective. Not every heavy can play the heavy game on every map.Not every medium can go play the hill poppin game. Sometime going to the :"wrong" place on the map actually suits the tank you are driving.

When I can put the two together, WOT is  the best game in the world to play

For example

Tier 8 T-44 in on Arctic. I go down by the water to cover the heavies flank. When nothing comes down there I go hide behind the Heavies and track shoot the enemy heavies and casement tds. Only did 786 damage that game but got 1719 assisted damage. Instead of being a useless easy kill, I went and did what I could to help while staying out  of the way. So not a great game but one that felt good to play.

Edited by GAJohnnie, Dec 04 2018 - 16:50.

GAJohnnie #9482 Posted Dec 04 2018 - 21:03

Major

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

So anyone have time for a review? I have some notes where I seriously screwed up but would welcome some advice.

http://wotreplays.eu...-gajohnnie-t-44

H0D0R_ #9483 Posted Dec 04 2018 - 21:27

Captain

• Players
  • 17376 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
I can check it out when I get home. I'll put time stamps in my response on what I suggest at points.

GAJohnnie #9484 Posted Dec 04 2018 - 21:33

Major

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post_Promote_Synergy_, on Dec 04 2018 - 15:27, said:

I can check it out when I get home. I'll put time stamps in my response on what I suggest at points.

Thank you for the time! I appreciate it.

iAmEbola #9485 Posted Dec 04 2018 - 23:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 12477 battles

View PostGAJohnnie, on Dec 04 2018 - 14:03, said:

So anyone have time for a review? I have some notes where I seriously screwed up but would welcome some advice.

http://wotreplays.eu...-gajohnnie-t-44

Here's my $0.02:

It was a shame that more of your team didn't go to the center of the map with you, however, the red team that did, totally botched it.  Anyway, I recommend never poking the center of that middle road the way you did.  TDs in them bushes overlooking the road will smack you every single time (like that KanJan did).  From the South Spawn, I always approach the left hand side and nuzzle in behind that building with the flat outcrop on the left.  From there I can sidescrape and deflect shots from TDs (I will also throw down a few blind shots) and deflect shots from tanks trying to make it into the abby...as well as be able to put shots into them.  From the North Spawn, same thing...hug the left hand side and run through those breakable walls maintain cover behind the outcropping.  Enemy tanks have to go around that and give you their side to get into the abby.  

When you were looking to contest the T-54 mod. 1, you hesitated.  His standard pen is lower than yours, he is alone and from the back end that you approached him (after getting hit by the KanJan) he was in the open.  You hesitated to take advantage of that situation.  Your approach gave you the opportunity to sidescrape behind hard cover and easily take him out.  Instead you poked on him giving him your full side, got tracked, and bounced a shot.  You are lucky your tracks ate the shot on that one.  Then you got nervous and settled for a small amount of spotting damage.  You missed out on almost 800 to 1000 damage.

You then traded a 36HP Kill shot for 250 damage vs that Pershing.  Next time, look to guard yourself against taking damage.  You poked on him in the open, while he had the higher ground.  Use the terrain to your advantage.  Look to kill and deal damage without taking any in return.  In fact, in that instance you could've loaded HE, and hit the ground very near him, or slung a shot anywhere and killed him.  His HP was so low...HE pretty much anywhere would've ended him.  I do that a lot...finished off a Hull Down S. Conq that way.  I think it made him very angry...haha

When you went against the Centurion 1, nice getting a shot of free damage while he wasn't even paying attention to you.  I didn't understand why you ran away giving him your rear during reload instead of using the Pershing you killed and getting hull down behind it.  Arty wasn't focusing you at all, by this time both outer flanks had fallen and their SPG was entirely focused on the bigger targets.  It was like 8:4.  Luckily he didn't capitalize on your retreat right away and ended up following you and being completely stupid.  I have no idea what he was thinking...maybe he thought his reload was faster?  IDK.  Your second shot on him did damage and tracked him (great way to get that XP bonus!).  Unfortunately you oddly rotated your hull while you were juking and gave him your side when he shot...he got a full 250 damage shot on you.  When you lock onto a soft target, you don't need to stay in sniper mode.  Stay locked on, get out of sniper mode, keep looking around, make sure your hull is angled properly and juke to force your target to either miss or hit your tracks, and then fire when you reload. EzPz

That KanJan that rushed you and the Super Pershing...wow.  That was a free damage/kill for you...lol.  I think you missed out on the kill shot on the SPG because you were a little too timid to poke the hill.  UDES wasn't even looking at you.  Anyway, you ended up getting 2 more kill shots out instead, so I guess that is better than 1 against the SPG...lol.

Your team did an excellent job not allowing their flanks to stall.  The enemy was smart to pile up and defend the East road like that, but too little too late obviously.  Overall, it was a safe game, you lived, you got a win, and you assisted with crushing the middle flank.  So not bad at all.  There are some things that you could've done to minimize the damage you took...but these are very nitpickish things I'm pointing out.

_Promote_Synergy_ could have different views than I.  

Edited by iAmEbola, Dec 04 2018 - 23:23.

GAJohnnie #9486 Posted Dec 04 2018 - 23:33

Major

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostiAmEbola, on Dec 04 2018 - 17:17, said:

Here's my $0.02:

It was a shame that more of your team didn't go to the center of the map with you, however, the red team that did, totally botched it.  Anyway, I recommend never poking the center of that middle road the way you did.  TDs in them bushes overlooking the road will smack you every single time (like that KanJan did).  From the South Spawn, I always approach the left hand side and nuzzle in behind that building with the flat outcrop on the left.  From there I can sidescrape and deflect shots from TDs (I will also throw down a few blind shots) and deflect shots from tanks trying to make it into the abby...as well as be able to put shots into them.  From the North Spawn, same thing...hug the left hand side and run through those breakable walls maintain cover behind the outcropping.  Enemy tanks have to go around that and give you their side to get into the abby.  

When you were looking to contest the T-54 mod. 1, you hesitated.  His standard pen is lower than yours, he is alone and from the back end that you approached him (after getting hit by the KanJan) he was in the open.  You hesitated to take advantage of that situation.  Your approach gave you the opportunity to sidescrape behind hard cover and easily take him out.  Instead you poked on him giving him your full side, got tracked, and bounced a shot.  You are lucky your tracks ate the shot on that one.  Then you got nervous and settled for a small amount of spotting damage.  You missed out on almost 800 to 1000 damage.

You then traded a 36HP Kill shot for 250 damage vs that Pershing.  Next time, look to guard yourself against taking damage.  You poked on him in the open, while he had the higher ground.  Use the terrain to your advantage.  Look to kill and deal damage without taking any in return.  In fact, in that instance you could've loaded HE, and hit the ground very near him, or slung a shot anywhere and killed him.  His HP was so low...HE pretty much anywhere would've ended him.  I do that a lot...finished off a Hull Down S. Conq that way.  I think it made him very angry...haha

When you went against the Centurion 1, nice getting a shot of free damage while he wasn't even paying attention to you.  I didn't understand why you ran away giving him your rear during reload instead of using the Pershing you killed and getting hull down behind it.  Arty wasn't focusing you at all, by this time both outer flanks had fallen and their SPG was entirely focused on the bigger targets.  It was like 8:4.  Luckily he didn't capitalize on your retreat right away and ended up following you and being completely stupid.  I have no idea what he was thinking...maybe he thought his reload was faster?  IDK.  Your second shot on him did damage and tracked him (great way to get that XP bonus!).  Unfortunately you oddly rotated your hull while you were juking and gave him your side when he shot...he got a full 250 damage shot on you.  When you lock onto a soft target, you don't need to stay in sniper mode.  Stay locked on, get out of sniper mode, keep looking around, make sure your hull is angled properly and juke to force your target to either miss or hit your tracks, and then fire when you reload. EzPz

That KanJan that rushed you and the Super Pershing...wow.  That was a free damage/kill for you...lol.  I think you missed out on the kill shot on the SPG because you were a little too timid to poke the hill.  UDES wasn't even looking at you.  Anyway, you ended up getting 2 more kill shots out instead, so I guess that is better than 1 against the SPG...lol.

Your team did an excellent job not allowing their flanks to stall.  The enemy was smart to pile up and defend the East road like that, but too little too late obviously.  Overall, it was a safe game, you lived, you got a win, and you assisted with crushing the middle flank.  So not bad at all.  There are some things that you could've done to minimize the damage you took...but these are very nitpickish things I'm pointing out.

_Promote_Synergy_ could have different views than I.  

Thank you! yeah I have got to cure my skittishness. I know what to do but I get too excited in game and make those dumb mistake you noted. My thought on the Cent was he was fully health and a faster re-load. I thought I would need some help with him so I went where the back line snipers could help. You are right, I should of used the wreck, I have a good turret I could of taken him without the risk

H0D0R_ #9487 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 00:04

Captain

• Players
  • 17376 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

Alrighty here we go.

So at the start I would have followed the scout since I saw him go to the 8 line. He can spot up front and allow you to shoot unseen. No biggie there.

At 13:50 the pershing backs down the hill, that would have been the perfect time to push up into the abbey to control. Especially with the t26e4 covering you. Which would have allowed you to deny the cent from getting up the hill.

12:25 was a bad time to auto-aim. But also dont feel afraid to sit near the corner and preaim it for the t54 mod1 try to push you.

11:35 the first shot on the cent should have been a tracking shot. That would have really messed with him if you crit any module his tank after.

Also at 11:00 showing your whole side. Angling your front could have helped bounce some shots

9:45 that autoaim on the kan was rough for that shot since you were in the sniper mode.

Over all not bad just some timing items to work on. But you should work on not auto aiming much. I only auto aim when I am on the move and want to take shots so I can focus on driving. I aim whenever possible.

GAJohnnie #9488 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 14:20

Major

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post_Promote_Synergy_, on Dec 04 2018 - 18:04, said:

Alrighty here we go.

So at the start I would have followed the scout since I saw him go to the 8 line. He can spot up front and allow you to shoot unseen. No biggie there.

At 13:50 the pershing backs down the hill, that would have been the perfect time to push up into the abbey to control. Especially with the t26e4 covering you. Which would have allowed you to deny the cent from getting up the hill.

12:25 was a bad time to auto-aim. But also dont feel afraid to sit near the corner and preaim it for the t54 mod1 try to push you.

11:35 the first shot on the cent should have been a tracking shot. That would have really messed with him if you crit any module his tank after.

Also at 11:00 showing your whole side. Angling your front could have helped bounce some shots

9:45 that autoaim on the kan was rough for that shot since you were in the sniper mode.

Over all not bad just some timing items to work on. But you should work on not auto aiming much. I only auto aim when I am on the move and want to take shots so I can focus on driving. I aim whenever possible.

Thank you. Given me an entirely new train of thought. I am locked in "I am in X tank so I have to go here..." thinking. What I should be doing is considering at the start where my opportunists are for early damage, After all I am playing a mobile medium not a slow heavy. I have to start thinking about how I can use my mobility.

iAmEbola #9489 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 19:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 12477 battles

View PostGAJohnnie, on Dec 04 2018 - 16:33, said:

Thank you! yeah I have got to cure my skittishness. I know what to do but I get too excited in game and make those dumb mistake you noted. My thought on the Cent was he was fully health and a faster re-load. I thought I would need some help with him so I went where the back line snipers could help. You are right, I should of used the wreck, I have a good turret I could of taken him without the risk

Best thing to do if you are still skittish is to count tanks, while minding your location.

In that instance with the Cent, there was 2 TDs left. You knew what the KanJan was doing, you knew where he hit you from.  Looking at the minimap in this instance would've told you that their West Flank fell hard, assume the TD is somewhat competent.  He would've been trying to assist that side.  The other one...well, he could've been anywhere.  Your position when you got the first shot on the Cent was on the entrance in complete cover by any TD looking to get shots into the Abby.  No reason for skittishness.  

When you were playing with the mod 1, same thing.  That KanJan would've been the only threat, however you had TONS of hard cover with all those small buildings. You had cover from the multitude of tanks on the west (1/2 line?) shooting at the Pershing and Cent that set up to get smacked by hanging out in the middle of the abbey.  

You really had no reason to hesitate.  

I'd recommend focusing on counting tanks.  It comes very important in mid to late game when you are trying to flush out campers and TDs.  If you know what's spotted and can track their last know location, then you can be pretty confident of when to go and when not to.  If there are TDs left un-spotted, then rely on where they can usually be found in order to formulate a plan of action.  

Hardest to out-maneuver and beat is when there is a competent LT left and they play the spotting game.  

If you play like your enemy is competent, you can usually work around surprise attacks.  Usually...lol  REALLY bad players sometimes turn up in the most unlucky spots and either they are dispatched quickly, or they get that Pubby Snap-Shot off to ammo rack you and destroy you.  A rarity, luckily.

the_Deadly_Bulb #9490 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 19:57

Major

• Players
  • 27591 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Along with counting tanks (which is a spot on tactic for determining your next move) I also pay close attention to when an opponent has fired.

When GAJonnie was poking at that T54 proto the Proto was all alone and GAJonhnnie had the T26E4 supporting. I would have pulled out to take my shot right after the proto had fired at the T26E4 and was reloading.

I always watch for the opponents who are by themselves to fire, then make my move while they reload.

Drives me nuts when a lone KV-2 will unload the derp at a group, so they back around behind cover and cower. :facepalm:

That's exactly the time to take the KV2 out, while its performing its 20+ second reload!

Its not realistic for me to learn all the reload rates and put them to memory, but I do know it for the tanks I have, most of them anyway.

This knowledge does translate to power. :honoring:

Of course there are conditions. You need to be certain they are alone.

You need to know they don't have support from distance (TDs etc).

H0D0R_ #9491 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 20:30

Captain

• Players
  • 17376 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View PostiAmEbola, on Dec 05 2018 - 18:41, said:

Best thing to do if you are still skittish is to count tanks, while minding your location.

In that instance with the Cent, there was 2 TDs left. You knew what the KanJan was doing, you knew where he hit you from.  Looking at the minimap in this instance would've told you that their West Flank fell hard, assume the TD is somewhat competent.  He would've been trying to assist that side.  The other one...well, he could've been anywhere.  Your position when you got the first shot on the Cent was on the entrance in complete cover by any TD looking to get shots into the Abby.  No reason for skittishness.  

When you were playing with the mod 1, same thing.  That KanJan would've been the only threat, however you had TONS of hard cover with all those small buildings. You had cover from the multitude of tanks on the west (1/2 line?) shooting at the Pershing and Cent that set up to get smacked by hanging out in the middle of the abbey.  

You really had no reason to hesitate.  

I'd recommend focusing on counting tanks.  It comes very important in mid to late game when you are trying to flush out campers and TDs.  If you know what's spotted and can track their last know location, then you can be pretty confident of when to go and when not to.  If there are TDs left un-spotted, then rely on where they can usually be found in order to formulate a plan of action.  

Hardest to out-maneuver and beat is when there is a competent LT left and they play the spotting game.  

If you play like your enemy is competent, you can usually work around surprise attacks.  Usually...lol  REALLY bad players sometimes turn up in the most unlucky spots and either they are dispatched quickly, or they get that Pubby Snap-Shot off to ammo rack you and destroy you.  A rarity, luckily.

That is what I do. When tanks start popping up on each side of the map it gives me an idea of what I am fighting, what I am NOT fighting, and the question mark tanks where I can guess their locations and play accordingly. Later game I will see if there are spot marks where tanks were last and just see if my allies run by their spots, if they do, then well you know they are retreating so you can again play around it.

GAJohnnie #9492 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 20:38

Major

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

When GAJonnie was poking at that T54 proto the Proto was all alone and GAJonhnnie had the T26E4 supporting. I would have pulled out to take my shot right after the proto had fired at the T26E4 and was reloading.

This was exactly the part of the battle I expected PS and Ebola to pick apart. Even I could seen the major fail points in that. I totally whiffed that and turned a potential epic game into an ok game. That and the Pershing/Cent attacks in the Abby were fail points. I should of taken all three tanks. I seriously overestimated what they could do, and seriously underestimated what I could do.  Part of that is not know the tanks as well as I should. Along with positioning suggestions, this is the kind of information that is really helpful to hear in these reviews from you and Ebola

Thank you both.

H0D0R_ #9493 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 20:59

Captain

• Players
  • 17376 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View PostGAJohnnie, on Dec 05 2018 - 19:38, said:

This was exactly the part of the battle I expected PS and Ebola to pick apart. Even I could seen the major fail points in that. I totally whiffed that and turned a potential epic game into an ok game. That and the Pershing/Cent attacks in the Abby were fail points. I should of taken all three tanks. I seriously overestimated what they could do, and seriously underestimated what I could do.  Part of that is not know the tanks as well as I should. Along with positioning suggestions, this is the kind of information that is really helpful to hear in these reviews from you and Ebola

Thank you both.

Its the first part of the battle of getting better over time :)

I take risks in games at time and it can pay off like 90% of the time where I understand the situation. Sometimes the 10% is me getting RNG'd to death by lucky shots or getting ammoracked in my 60tp for all my HP in shot.

PS that 60tp game made me so sad. I was on track to do like 5-6k easy damage on the polish map because I got to the middle of the factory to punish 4 meds on the hill. But got 2 shots in and instadead by a patton :/

GAJohnnie #9494 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 22:31

Major

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post_Promote_Synergy_, on Dec 05 2018 - 14:59, said:

PS that 60tp game made me so sad. I was on track to do like 5-6k easy damage on the polish map because I got to the middle of the factory to punish 4 meds on the hill. But got 2 shots in and instadead by a patton :/

I saw a Skill4U get ammo racked for full health in his 60tp today on his twitch stream.

Is this common for the 60tp or just a fluke?

iAmEbola #9495 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 22:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 12477 battles

View PostGAJohnnie, on Dec 05 2018 - 13:38, said:

This was exactly the part of the battle I expected PS and Ebola to pick apart.

I missed when the Prot fired at the SP.  Was that right after when you did poke and got tracked?

H0D0R_ #9496 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 22:43

Captain

• Players
  • 17376 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View PostGAJohnnie, on Dec 05 2018 - 21:31, said:

I saw a Skill4U get ammo racked for full health in his 60tp today on his twitch stream.

Is this common for the 60tp or just a fluke?

I am not too sure. It was the first time in a long time where I have been ammo racked for full HP though.

GAJohnnie #9497 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 23:03

Major

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostiAmEbola, on Dec 05 2018 - 16:37, said:

I missed when the Prot fired at the SP.  Was that right after when you did poke and got tracked?

I think it was when I hesitated before poking on the Proto, If I had side scaped right away like I should have, I would of caught him on reload. Instead by the time I did poke he had reloaded

As you and PS pointed out, that was a very weak part of my game there.

Edited by GAJohnnie, Dec 05 2018 - 23:03.

GAJohnnie #9498 Posted Dec 05 2018 - 23:04

Major

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post_Promote_Synergy_, on Dec 05 2018 - 16:43, said:

I am not too sure. It was the first time in a long time where I have been ammo racked for full HP though.

Just a coincidence then.

H0D0R_ #9499 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 01:32

Captain

• Players
  • 17376 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

I feel so bad for the t-10 in this match :O

http://wotreplays.eu..._synergy-t110e4

H0D0R_ #9500 Posted Dec 06 2018 - 01:48

Captain

• Players
  • 17376 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
This one was crazy how I managed to survive in this one: http://wotreplays.eu...ergy-amx_13_105

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users