Newbie Live Stream Redux

YouTube Channel iAmEbola Learning All Tiers Reinventing

• Please log in to reply
11480 replies to this topic

Project100 #9681 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 13:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4772 battles

Heya, Newbie thread people! Long time, no see (type, whatever ;) )

Good to see things are still going in this holdout of civility and that there are a few new faces (to me anyway).

Trying to get all my crap together so I can get back into the game before the end of the year.

So, Thunderbolt? Good tank? Worth buying? I've got the E8 Sherman and the E2 Jumbo in my garage, but only ever fought the E8 and just 16 battles in that. Is the Thunderbolt significantly different/similar to either of them? Is it worth it as just a trainer or is it a good tank overall?

EDIT:

And, as long as I'm asking questions:

1) If you could only buy 1 Tier 8 Soviet Medium Premium: T-54 mod 1 or STG? I'm leaning toward the T-54 but wondering if I should learn to deal with a rear turret sooner rather than later. I went ahead and dropped the hammer on the T-34-85M since I'm going to be trying to focus on Mediums and the Soviets seem to be getting all the WG love these days. I'm certainly not ready for Tier 8s, but the current discount is nice and I'm thinking that I'll have some gold laying around after I open a few boxes.

2) Speaking of T-34-85M, I've been looking at Skirmishes as a way to get better. Anyone here that can speak about the current state of Skirmishing and being a complete newbie Legionnaire?

Edited by Project100, Dec 14 2018 - 13:28.

GAJohnnie #9682 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 13:40

Major

• Players
  • 11584 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Well, as expected, I got a minimalist pay out compared to a lot of people. Got my garage to festive level 9. Got about 17,000 gold 20 days premium time and the KV-220-2. Played 2 games with it. Funny tank if they don't know where to shoot you.

itsCyberWolfe #9683 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 14:40

Captain

• Players
  • 9339 battles

Well i didn't get the unique skin i wanted but i got a bunch of decent stuff so i can't complain!

I went up from about 1.2k gold to 9.7, 700k silver to 2mil, 130 days of prem to 180, and i got the Defender, E-25 and KV-220-2 as well as enough tier 5 decorations to get my garage to tier 10 for the festive which earned me those 4 lovely snow ladies.

GAJohnnie #9684 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 14:53

Major

• Players
  • 11584 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostProject100, on Dec 14 2018 - 07:00, said:

Good to see things are still going in this holdout of civility and that there are a few new faces (to me anyway).

Trying to get all my crap together so I can get back into the game before the end of the year.

So, Thunderbolt? Good tank? Worth buying? I've got the E8 Sherman and the E2 Jumbo in my garage, but only ever fought the E8 and just 16 battles in that. Is the Thunderbolt significantly different/similar to either of them? Is it worth it as just a trainer or is it a good tank overall?

EDIT:

1) If you could only buy 1 Tier 8 Soviet Medium Premium: T-54 mod 1 or STG? I'm leaning toward the T-54 but wondering if I should learn to deal with a rear turret sooner rather than later. I went ahead and dropped the hammer on the T-34-85M since I'm going to be trying to focus on Mediums and the Soviets seem to be getting all the WG love these days. I'm certainly not ready for Tier 8s, but the current discount is nice and I'm thinking that I'll have some gold laying around after I open a few boxes.

2) Speaking of T-34-85M, I've been looking at Skirmishes as a way to get better. Anyone here that can speak about the current state of Skirmishing and being a complete newbie Legionnaire?

I love the T-34-85M. I think you will like it.

As a painfully average player, here are my $.02. I would wait for the better players to weight in before making a decision.

I don't know if you can still get it but I would get the T-44/100. It is overall a better tank then either the STG or the T-54 Mod 1. If that is not an option the T-54 Mod 1 is better if you want workable armor. If you want to hide and snipe, the STG is good.

iAmEbola #9685 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 15:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 12682 battles

View PostGAJohnnie, on Dec 13 2018 - 15:39, said:

Awesome! Good luck!

View Postdunniteowl, on Dec 13 2018 - 15:47, said:

I'd be very happy to get a chance to shoot at your for gold.  OvO

VERY HAPPY to do so.  Not out of malice, but Gold is my preciousss, yesss, gollum!

Thanks!

And dunnitowl...

Spoiler

View PostGAJohnnie, on Dec 13 2018 - 16:05, said:

So getting 4 free female crew. Do you put them all in 1 tank or split them out as commanders for 4 tanks?

Since they all come with BIA, I, personally would put them all in one tank.  That way you don't have to start 4 commanders with BIA but can't  utilize the benefits until the rest of the crew is 100% BIA (you can sub progressive skill/perk (repair/cammo...etc) then pay gold to reset all to BIA to match) which takes between 50 to 100 battles depending on how well you do in said tank as well as boosters, etc.  Why grind 200 to 500 battles on 4 seperate crews before you can use BIA though?  

View PostSolidHex, on Dec 13 2018 - 17:37, said:

I have yet to read about what people are getting but I kinda wanna grab a 25 box set like last year. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, bought a 25 Lunar set.  Will see what I get once the client updates.

There is a thread that Scorpiany started to have everyone list what they paid vs what they got so they can do a running cost comparison.  If you put it in there and link it here we can oogle your goodies as well. :)

View PostProject100, on Dec 14 2018 - 06:00, said:

EDIT:

Howdy!  Welcome back...ish.  :P

If your goal is to go for the K-91 then definitely get the STG.  However if you are wanting to acquire the Object 430U/Object 140/T62-A, then T-54 mod 1 is the better way to go.  If you enjoy the playstyle of the AMX ELC (prior to the introduction of Tier IX and X tanks) then you will love the Object 416 line (A-44 is a BEAR though and tough to make work).  And yes, the discount is definitely worth it.  30% off is VERY NICE.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Thunderbolt.

IMO, Skirmishes can help you learn some things about map control, team coordination, and some of the spotting mechanics of the game; which don't always translate over into pubbie rando play.  Sure there are things you can utilize that will help a bit, but you definitely cannot play a random battle the same way you do a skirmish.  Being a Legionnare is a lot of fun though.  Gives you a chance to experience competitive play and you can meet some wonderful people that way.  It would also give you a chance to find a few mentors that can work with you in pubbie action to help you get better there as well.

Edited by iAmEbola, Dec 14 2018 - 15:52.

iAmEbola #9686 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 15:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 12682 battles

Since I acquired so much gold (90k) from the Loot Boxes I opened.  I decided to check out the Tech Tree to see what types of goodies I could get.  I was pleasantly surprised to see everything at 30% off.  It is too bad I didn't wait to get the Lowe, oh well...live and learn.  Here is what I decided to acquire:

STG

SU-122-44

T34

Skoda T40

All for only 25,760 gold.  Which is about $100 worth of stuff I guess, if we go by the 25k crate in the shop currently.  

I also noticed that this will be a x4 weekend as well as the conversion factor for obtaining Free XP has been discounted as well.  Looks like I will be playing the stuffings out of some Premium Vehicles!  Now, if RNG doesn't completely irritate the snot out of me where I don't want to play then I'll be good to go!  It was awful last night.  Very awful.  

itsCyberWolfe #9687 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 16:02

Captain

• Players
  • 9339 battles

View PostiAmEbola, on Dec 14 2018 - 09:50, said:

Since I acquired so much gold (90k) from the Loot Boxes I opened.  I decided to check out the Tech Tree to see what types of goodies I could get.  I was pleasantly surprised to see everything at 30% off.  It is too bad I didn't wait to get the Lowe, oh well...live and learn.  Here is what I decided to acquire:

STG

SU-122-44

T34

Skoda T40

All for only 25,760 gold.  Which is about $100 worth of stuff I guess, if we go by the 25k crate in the shop currently.  

I also noticed that this will be a x4 weekend as well as the conversion factor for obtaining Free XP has been discounted as well.  Looks like I will be playing the stuffings out of some Premium Vehicles!  Now, if RNG doesn't completely irritate the snot out of me where I don't want to play then I'll be good to go!  It was awful last night.  Very awful.  

90k gold? *drool*

iAmEbola #9688 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 16:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 12682 battles

View PostSlipperySlaughterDaddy, on Dec 14 2018 - 09:02, said:

90k gold? *drool*

Yeah...way more freaking gold than I'm ever going to need in my lifetime.  When I tallied it all up, I about passed out.  So holy jeebs I have like 10 new premium tanks to find time for...LMBO.  OIY!  Well, 3 or 4 I'm pretty sure I'll never play, and I like the idea of trading in the Defender for something else...not sure what though.  

Project100 #9689 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 16:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4772 battles

View PostGAJohnnie, on Dec 14 2018 - 08:53, said:

I love the T-34-85M. I think you will like it.

As a painfully average player, here are my $.02. I would wait for the better players to weight in before making a decision.

I don't know if you can still get it but I would get the T-44/100. It is overall a better tank then either the STG or the T-54 Mod 1. If that is not an option the T-54 Mod 1 is better if you want workable armor. If you want to hide and snipe, the STG is good.

Thanks, Johnnie!

I'm not seeing the T-44/100 at all, but I do see the T-54 First Prototype in the Premium shop. So confusing, what to get :)

As for me, I always seem to need more "workable armor" so I'm thinking that the Mod 1 wins over the STG unless someone comes along and gives me a more compelling argument against it.

View PostiAmEbola, on Dec 14 2018 - 09:41, said:

Howdy!  Welcome back...ish.  :P

If your goal is to go for the K-91 then definitely get the STG.  However if you are wanting to acquire the Object 430U/Object 140/T62-A, then T-54 mod 1 is the better way to go.  If you enjoy the playstyle of the AMX ELC (prior to the introduction of Tier IX and X tanks) then you will love the Object 416 line (A-44 is a BEAR though and tough to make work).  And yes, the discount is definitely worth it.  30% off is VERY NICE.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Thunderbolt.

IMO, Skirmishes can help you learn some things about map control, team coordination, and some of the spotting mechanics of the game; which don't always translate over into pubbie rando play.  Sure there are things you can utilize that will help a bit, but you definitely cannot play a random battle the same way you do a skirmish.  Being a Legionnare is a lot of fun though.  Gives you a chance to experience competitive play and you can meet some wonderful people that way.  It would also give you a chance to find a few mentors that can work with you in pubbie action to help you get better there as well.

Thanks for all the info and advice, Ebola.

At the moment, I don't have any real goals for higher tiers. I'm looking to get back into the game and see if I can improve my skills. I think that I'm better off sticking to mediums until I blow off some of the rust and get to know the redone maps a bit. Definitely not comfortable with taking on the role of a heavy or a light yet, and I have no TD experience worth speaking of.

With all that in mind, Russian and American Mediums seem like the best place to go, though I do have a bunch of the German Premium mediums including the Panther/M10, Panther 88, & the Mutz.

I have lots of reasons for wanting to try skirmishes. I've never done anything other than randoms and I rarely even platoon. I'm thinking that Tier 6 skirmishes will let me build up my crews, build my map knowledge, give me a lot experience working in a group/platoon environment, and let me get to know a bunch of people that I would otherwise only ever see in randoms. I'm sure that lots of things don't carry over from skirmishes to pubbie randoms, but at my level pretty much any experience is good experience.

iAmEbola #9690 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 17:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 12682 battles

I would definitely recommend the T-54 mod 1 then.  The STG would probably give you fits until you figure out that it is more of a snipy medium wherein good TD knowledge (cammo) would fit someone with that experience better.  T-54 mod 1 got a recent buff as well, so it is very forgivable and can be pretty dominant top tier.  Don't be afraid to sling some premium rounds to guarantee wins though.  With the advent of getting bottom tier 60% of the time nowadays, you are going to need it.  More and more 3/5/7 template forces more players to sling premium rounds.  

Panther/M10 is gud.  Plays a lot like the Cromwell/Comet.  I hated the Mutz.  

I would also invite you to experiment with HTs as well.  They will help you round out brawling skills you may need in MTs.  Although at a somewhat slower pace.  

I can't remember if clan boosters during skirmishes affect Legionnaires or not.  If they don't, then you may look to go ahead and get into a clan that does skirmishes.  Need to verify that though.  

Project100 #9691 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 17:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4772 battles

View PostiAmEbola, on Dec 14 2018 - 11:09, said:

I would definitely recommend the T-54 mod 1 then.  The STG would probably give you fits until you figure out that it is more of a snipy medium wherein good TD knowledge (cammo) would fit someone with that experience better.  T-54 mod 1 got a recent buff as well, so it is very forgivable and can be pretty dominant top tier.  Don't be afraid to sling some premium rounds to guarantee wins though.  With the advent of getting bottom tier 60% of the time nowadays, you are going to need it.  More and more 3/5/7 template forces more players to sling premium rounds.  

Panther/M10 is gud.  Plays a lot like the Cromwell/Comet.  I hated the Mutz.  

I would also invite you to experiment with HTs as well.  They will help you round out brawling skills you may need in MTs.  Although at a somewhat slower pace.  

Thank you, again!

I like the Mutz more than the M10 but I do worse in it. Not sure why, but I need a lot more battles in both of them. Probably the extra bonus tier opponents :)

I like heavies and I've done a bit of heavy tanking, the KV-1 is my second most played tank, and I will go back to heavies eventually. But I tend to feel like I'm more responsible for how the team does when I'm in a heavy and after all the changes I just don't think that I have the map knowledge for that yet.

iAmEbola #9692 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 17:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 12682 battles

Bad news Ebolaites...

iAmEbola will not dawn on the Badge of Justice to provide opportunities for free gold.  :(

Apparently the list got filled up really fast and by the time I put in interest they were done.  

Maybe next time. 

H0D0R_ #9693 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 18:23

Captain

• Players
  • 17929 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

Same here :( I messaged way too late lol.

Btw I am clanless :O

itsCyberWolfe #9694 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 18:28

Captain

• Players
  • 9339 battles

View Post_Promote_Synergy_, on Dec 14 2018 - 12:23, said:

Well it still says you in vilin on my screen. O.o But thanks to a suggestion from Ebola, i'm now the owner of WWMRD (What Would Mr Rogers Do?) :)

H0D0R_ #9695 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 19:09

Captain

• Players
  • 17929 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
I just left so it will update in the next hours or so. Will I wait for the cooldown to come off it'll be funny to see the spam of clam invites come in. 

itsCyberWolfe #9696 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 19:27

Captain

• Players
  • 9339 battles

View Post_Promote_Synergy_, on Dec 14 2018 - 13:09, said:

I just left so it will update in the next hours or so. Will I wait for the cooldown to come off it'll be funny to see the spam of clam invites come in. 

Lol meanwhile i just did 7.9k damage on the sherriff account. O_O

H0D0R_ #9697 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 19:30

Captain

• Players
  • 17929 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
Stop being mean to pubbies!!!!!! Heck

itsCyberWolfe #9698 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 19:32

Captain

• Players
  • 9339 battles

View Post_Promote_Synergy_, on Dec 14 2018 - 13:30, said:

But but but...... i can't help it.... i love the T110E4 sooooo much. :(

GAJohnnie #9699 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 19:52

Major

• Players
  • 11584 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post_Promote_Synergy_, on Dec 14 2018 - 13:30, said:

Promote check your gifts

iAmEbola #9700 Posted Dec 14 2018 - 19:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 12682 battles

View Post_Promote_Synergy_, on Dec 14 2018 - 11:23, said:

Oh no...what happened?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users