How to draw a WZ-120

How to draw a KV-4

How to draw an M4 Sherman

How to draw a Cent Mk. 7/1

How to draw an FV304

How to draw an Ru 251

How to draw an ELC AMX

How to draw a KV-2

Captainspetsnaz on the Cent 7/1 topic requested that I do the IS-7, and a couple of others have been wanting to see me do one of the pike-nosed Russian heavies(IS-3, IS-8). YES, don't worry, I plan on doing all of these if I can, but I figured I'd start out with a crazy perspective drawing of the IS-7, which would be my personal favorite of the bunch.

As with drawings that involve a lot of FOV, I draw guide lines, for the hull. I also tried to scale the turret beforehand, which I think works reasonably well.

This is the rough profile of the hull finished. The front... took forever. Getting the view and dimensions on the pike nose and making it look good, was insane. I didn't even think it looked good until I got around to finishing the running gear. The hull involves a lot of flatter shapes and geometry, so it wasn't as hard as I thought to draw in such a tough perspective.

Right, here's the road wheels. I ended up copy pasting a couple, but I can't do them all... if you notice, they shrink width-wise as you go from front to back. That's part of the perspective. The drive sprocket wheel looks way off- but this is because it's wider than the road wheels, and that's the outermost rim that the sprocket teeth are on. Those guide marks above the hull are for the front and back of the turret.

Here's the running gear done, tracks and all. I also tried to add some details, but only the front torsion arm and the tensioner are visible because the road wheels are so big. There's no idler rollers above the road wheels... which was nice. No extra details.

Added some details to the hull. I started off with the lines for the storage bins above the tracks, because then I could place everything based off of that.

Despite the guide marks, I could not... for the life of me... get the turret down. Visible here is what I thought was a good look for it after a couple of redraws.

I ended up putting a piece of paper on the screen showing Tank inspector(what I was using for a reference for details) and tracing the turret's profile, then putting that paper on the screen, drawing the profile through the paper, and then resizing it to fit my hull. I had to run skew to match the perspective and match my weirdly disfigured hull, but it looks a lot better. Yes, it is cheating... but it's for the shape only, the details I could still add on my own, and it saved me a lot of time and headache.

Finally, I stretched the canvas and got started on the gun. Didn't take long, the gun is quite featureless, the biggest issue was making sure it was straight and scaled properly against the tank.

The final drawing. A bit of shading, a nice little slogan, and it's good to go. This wasn't as tough as I thought it would be, the turret was by far the biggest problem... because it's so different and so weirdly shaped for the perspective.

Link to the album: http://imgur.com/a/6BEjl

I'm pretty sure a lot of you Russian heavy tankers will get a kick out of this guide. I sure hope it's helpful to some... even though these perspectives are tough to draw out, let alone with a tank as unique and as weirdly laid out as the IS-7. Nonetheless! Hope you liked it, and I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the Leopard 1 next... I'm deciding between the E25 and the M46 Patton after that. Any other requests, feel free to let me know!

Edited by Medessec, May 13 2015 - 06:25.

ChairInAGasket #2 Posted May 13 2015 - 04:52

Major

• Players
  • 21454 battles
Missed the machine gun on top. You tried.

power_Donky #3 Posted May 13 2015 - 04:53

Major

• Players
  • 21155 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
Holy crapthat's good...I could never draw that good...my Gawd...that is a work of art....that is now my new desktop background.

power_Donky #4 Posted May 13 2015 - 04:54

Major

• Players
  • 21155 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK

View PostChairInAGasket, on May 12 2015 - 19:52, said:

Missed the machine gun on top. You tried.

it's there. In case u haven't noticed, the current model has the machine gun folded down, and so does his.

rover5700heirloom #5 Posted May 13 2015 - 04:55

Major

• Players
  • 44263 battles

Well, would like to see a Luchs, 3/4 front view maybe. 

Very good btw. 

power_Donky #6 Posted May 13 2015 - 04:56

Major

• Players
  • 21155 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
Can u do is4 too?

xXGROWLINGDOGXx #7 Posted May 13 2015 - 06:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14375 battles
M18 Hellcat plz +1

Edited by xXGROWLINGDOGXx, May 13 2015 - 06:35.

GodzilIa #8 Posted Jan 16 2016 - 17:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2870 battles
  • [4CAD] 4CAD

LTTB? I've drawn a few myself. I want to see how you would render it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users