Came back after a while, have some questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

BobX #1 Posted Jun 21 2011 - 23:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 1136 battles
Right so for some reason during beta or right after I got my account deleted for inactivity (probably?), had difficulty getting back into the game, and I guess I'm restarting on some official north american servers (whoo, low ping.)

I've got a few questions so I can get back into the groove easier.  Last I played there were only soviet and german tanks and the general idea seemed to be that german tanks, despite being larger overall, were superior in almost every way for some reason I never fully understood, so I have a few questions before I can get started that I would appreciate having answered so I can get back into the swing of things.

1. What's the general idea on each available tank branch?  (TD/Light/Med/Heavy/Arty)
1a. Are Tank Destroyers still considered bad?
1b. Are the earliest tanks in match-up battles still woefully underpowered and useless outside of scouting?
2. What's the general consensus on each of the nationalities of tanks?  I understand american and french tanks have recently added, and I heard the german/soviet thing was adjusted somewhat.
3. Are there any specific tanks I should look out for? (Considered overpowered, worthlessly underpowered, avoided at all costs, etc)
4. Are there any new game-changing mechanics I should be aware of as I'm browsing through the patch notes since maybe patch 5.5.0?
5. Have there been any significant changes to gameplay or tactics since the late end of the beta?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Zakume #2 Posted Jun 21 2011 - 23:50

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31445 battles

View PostBobX, on Jun 21 2011 - 23:29, said:

Right so for some reason during beta or right after I got my account deleted for inactivity (probably?), had difficulty getting back into the game, and I guess I'm restarting on some official north american servers (whoo, low ping.)

I've got a few questions so I can get back into the groove easier.  Last I played there were only soviet and german tanks and the general idea seemed to be that german tanks, despite being larger overall, were superior in almost every way for some reason I never fully understood, so I have a few questions before I can get started that I would appreciate having answered so I can get back into the swing of things.

1. What's the general idea on each available tank branch?  (TD/Light/Med/Heavy/Arty)
1a. Are Tank Destroyers still considered bad?
1b. Are the earliest tanks in match-up battles still woefully underpowered and useless outside of scouting?
2. What's the general consensus on each of the nationalities of tanks?  I understand american and french tanks have recently added, and I heard the german/soviet thing was adjusted somewhat.
3. Are there any specific tanks I should look out for? (Considered overpowered, worthlessly underpowered, avoided at all costs, etc)
4. Are there any new game-changing mechanics I should be aware of as I'm browsing through the patch notes since maybe patch 4.5?
5. Have there been any significant changes to gameplay or tactics since the late end of the beta?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Welcome back
1. Everything is useful except light tanks atm, and tier 8 arty ruins pub games when there are more than 2 of them on a team, but they are awesome in clan wars.

1a. When were they ever?

1b. Pretty much yeah, but with the addition of the American line, lots of HE round pounding guns are there for the taking, so yeah.

2. French tanks have not been added...maybe a few premium ones..idk. If you ask the forum they will tell you russians are overpowered and how the devs are bias. Don't listen to the whiners and just play whatever you want, each nation has their strengths and weaknesses.

3. I imagine you remember the T-44 medium tank? Well now there is a T-54, and its pretty darn strong, along with the other 2 tier 9 medium tanks. Watch out for arty and TDs, and don't approach object 704s from the front and expect to win. M3 Lee in the US tree is kinda rough, takes some getting used to. The T1 heavy and M6 are sub par when compared to KV and KV-3, but are decent overall. After that, American heavies are great, just be aware their hulls are weak.

4. Tank companies are now a regular thing, as is clan wars, so you might want to check out the ultimate conquest map. Slightly easier to not get stuck on the side of the map, but you still do sometimes on certain things. There are many different skin packs you might take a look at for whatever reasons.

5. Gameplay no, tactics yes. With the addition of the American tree, as well as tier 6-8 arty, tier 9 mediums, and the object 704, there are certain things you must be aware of, and know what to do or avoid. Best learned by playing against said tanks.

ZKaiZ #3 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 00:01

Major

• Players
  • 17282 battles
I haven't been playing that long, so I'll give you advice on what I know so far(again, this is just my opinion, others may vary).

1:Generally, the Russian tanks are used for brawling(close range combat) due to their speed, and sometimes nasty armor though however, early tiers may vary(E.G Kv with 107 is meant for sniping), T-34-85 to T-44 could be used for sniping or brawling, Their tank destroyers however, are always meant for sniping.

German tanks are mainly used for sniping due to their very accurate gun(Not very much brawling due to slow turning), though the map and the tank can call for a different tactic(King tiger rushing to a spot to hull down for an example), Tank destroyer wise, they are mainly used for pushing(at the higher tiers, e.g jagdpanther ferdi and jagd tiger) due to their armor, and can still be used for sniping(Your play style ;))

The US tanks however, are a combination of the two, they have relatively weak armor all around and at all tiers, and have good enough speed and acceleration. The Heavy line of the US can be used for mainly 2 things, Sniping, Or face hugging. Sniping case would be to hull down, as your turret has 279 armor IIRC. Face hugging would mean to rush right up to an enemy tank so they can't hit your lowly profile'd hull(which only has 102mm armor even at tier 10) but only your turret(Worth of 279 armor like I've stated IIRC), The medium lines, are used for both sniping and brawling.They have good speed, Good turning, and have a good enough gun to penetrate anything on its back or front(however, you get a crappy 90mm until the pershing which has the 105mm, dead on accurate on the move at 48 km/h), Its fun to play them, just take note like the US heavies, you have fairly weak armor.

1a: No tank destroyers aren't considered bad at all, In some cases they are the scariest.
1b: It depends on what this might be, they have changed the match making so tier 1 2 and 3's get into the same battle and sometimes, tier 4's.

2:I honestly have no idea how to answer this.. I'd recommend looking for other people's suggestions  :Smile_honoring:

3:I have noted, that the KV-13 is worthlessly under powered, a few tanks have been considered over powered by the community, which might be the obj 704 with its 300mm manlet armor, The US heavy and medium lines have been considered worthlessly underpowered due to their weak armor, however they do have good guns  :Smile_honoring:

4:I can't give you an answer to this really, as stated above, I have not played as long as you have and can't tell you what are the most gameplay changing mechanics they have added or subtracted from the game.

5:Reasons 4 would give you an answer to this

hope I helped. It wasn't much but I tried :Smile_great:

BobX #4 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 00:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 1136 battles
Thank you for the assistance.

regarding Tank Destroyers, my understanding back during 5.4 or 5.5 or whatever the long standing patch was that in public matches coordination was difficult to provide them support, and due to limited turret turning and turn speed without excellent protection they were often easily destroyed or outclassed by tanks of the same tier, especially since maps were typically so open that positioning was difficult, making them more of a liability compared to tanks that take a similar amount of effort to unlock - with much less tactical viability, but my memory is probably bad because I wasn't too active in the community, most information I got was culled from the angry public chat of people complaining about their most recent matches.

I was wrong about french, because I saw the french tank forum and assumed they were released, and I think I gave up at around tier 4 because I was stuck in a terrible rut with a wimpy russian medium tank being outclassed by every other tank I went to battle with, so I don't remember much individual tank discussion.

How do high tier artillery ruin games, though? Too many of them make your forward defenses too weak or too many of them can lay too many shells downrange to fight against?

ZKaiZ #5 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 01:29

Major

• Players
  • 17282 battles
High tier artillery don't really ruin games, they can be the way to win, or the way to lose simply said, They have about 3000 - 2000 damage and can still do nasty damage with just the HE splash(Hitting the ground beside you does about 700 - 500 hp worth)

Alfonze #6 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 06:10

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5550 battles

1a. Bad to meet if you're from the same tier and it's aiming at you.  Even TDs from the next tier down are horrifying.

1b. Due to a new matchmaker, tier 3s and 4s are no longer useless and painful. Well, not AS painful.  I still don't like tier 4.  All I can say from getting to tier 7 pre-release is that once you pass tier 4, it only gets better.

2. US tanks are generally considered all-purpose tanks with somewhat weak armor.  Starting with tier 5, Germans should hang back behind their Russian allies, as the USSR tanks have thicker and much more steeply sloped armor.  The Russian premium tanks, however (except KV-5), are made of paper and have pea-shooters for guns, or so most people say.

3. Watch out for the Pz38H735 aka Hotchkiss.  It is a German tier 2 premium tank that is almost unkillable with a tier 2 auto-cannon as all your rounds will bounce.  You must use a normal single-shot gun to kill it.  Or you can kill both crew members within a few seconds of each other for a quick and infuriating kill.  The Lowe is a German tier 8 Heavy that also bounces shots like crazy.  The M3 Lee is an American Tier 4 medium which is a right pain to play.  It is better used as a TD with a 75mm gun. (It has no turret.)  When the US TDs are added, the T28 and T95 will be fairly unkillable from the front and the M-10, M-18, and M-36 will all have turrets.

4. There is a new match-maker.  Tier 1 and 2 still fight together, but 2s can fight 3s; and 3s can fight 4s and 5s, and so on.  There is no longer the Standard Battle with everything from Pz3As to Mauses.  However, I have seen Leichtetraktors fighting ISes.  Also, shell tracers are temporarily disabled, but should be added back to the game in the 0.6.5 patch.  The devs are preparing to re-route the tech trees so have a look at the proposed new trees before you start playing towards a certain tank.

5. I wouldn't say any big gameplay changes have been made, though the devs just put up a video of WoT with an experimental physics engine, where the tanks are not stuck to the ground like super-magnets.  But it won't be here till after 0.7.  The spotting system has been tweaked a good bit and I don't think tactics have changed all that much.  Until tracers return to the game, there really won't be any counter-battery fire using artillery.

And just some friendly advice, When you hit tier 4, keep on hitting.  It's a pain, but you'll push through to a much more fun group of tanks.  I actually kept my M2 lt and PzII to generate free experience to help me get through tiers 3 and 4.  Having an M4A2E4 for being a beta-tester didn't hurt too much either.

Zakume #7 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 06:12

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31445 battles

View PostBobX, on Jun 22 2011 - 00:28, said:

Thank you for the assistance.

regarding Tank Destroyers, my understanding back during 5.4 or 5.5 or whatever the long standing patch was that in public matches coordination was difficult to provide them support, and due to limited turret turning and turn speed without excellent protection they were often easily destroyed or outclassed by tanks of the same tier, especially since maps were typically so open that positioning was difficult, making them more of a liability compared to tanks that take a similar amount of effort to unlock - with much less tactical viability, but my memory is probably bad because I wasn't too active in the community, most information I got was culled from the angry public chat of people complaining about their most recent matches.

I was wrong about french, because I saw the french tank forum and assumed they were released, and I think I gave up at around tier 4 because I was stuck in a terrible rut with a wimpy russian medium tank being outclassed by every other tank I went to battle with, so I don't remember much individual tank discussion.

How do high tier artillery ruin games, though? Too many of them make your forward defenses too weak or too many of them can lay too many shells downrange to fight against?

That was just the playerbase not playing properly. Now people have learned to better play TDs so its better, plus some of the bugs got patched so that might have something to do with it also.

Well on certain maps it kinda ruins it, not on all. For instance on Erlenberg when there is 4 tier 7-8 arty on each side, if you try going across one of those bridges, you're done. They dont even have to hit you, their splash damage is so large that just the splash will kill you. I suppose thats more of a map flaw more than anything, but I think they shoulda stopped with tier 7 arty imo..but w/e thats just my feeling.

SuicideBombshell #8 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 08:57

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2698 battles

View PostBobX, on Jun 22 2011 - 00:28, said:

I think I gave up at around tier 4 because I was stuck in a terrible rut with a wimpy russian medium tank being outclassed by every other tank I went to battle with

I too returned recently after ~1500 battles in beta.  I have also ran into the wall that is tier 4... although I pushed through it.  It didn't seem T4 was a difficult in beta.  Routinely thrown against Tier 7's and most likely being bottom tank gets very old very quick.  But once you get through 4, Tier 5 is a godsend.  You can now do some real damage and earn some real credits!  This game would most likely retain more players if the devs would at least seriously consider changing the T4 battle brackets to T3-T5 as at least you can have some fun in the T4 tanks, which is non-existent when you're bouncing every shell off the opponents & getting one shotted all the time.  There is enough population in the game to refine the bracketing further.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users