Is the cost of purchasing a new tank affected by previously purchased upgrades?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

Metzler #1 Posted Jun 24 2011 - 05:03

Private

• Players
  • 2889 battles
I just started the game and am working on the German Tank Destroyer line. I have a PanzerJager I, and am thinking of purchasing the tier 3 gun upgrade, the 5 cm PaK 39 L/60. However this gun is the tier I gun for the next TD in line, the Marder II.

So what happens if I purchase the 5 cm PaK 39 L/60 with my PanzerJager, and then when I have the money, unequip the gun, and purchase the Marder II -- Does the Marder II use the 5 cm PaK 39 L/60 gun I already bought or do I end up with 2 of them? And if it does use it, is the cost of the gun subtracted from the tank?

Looking at the tech tree it looks like this situation comes up all the time for all the tanks, so I'm hoping you guys have an answer for the noob. Thanks!

Sadukar09 #2 Posted Jun 24 2011 - 05:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19837 battles
If the next tier vehicle has the gun/engine/radio as a stock weapon, unequipping from your old vehicle would make you end up with 2 of the same equipment. If it has a different stock part and can use stuff from before, then it's viable to do so. You do not get price off for researching/having the stock modules of a tank. Pretty lame really.

Reklaw #3 Posted Jun 24 2011 - 05:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12376 battles
Yeah, I had that bright idea. Doesn't work.

Apparently the magic faeries you buy the tanks from don't take custom orders.

pekiti #4 Posted Jun 24 2011 - 17:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3669 battles
However, if you unequip the gun (or any other module) it goes to your Depot, where you can sell it for credits. It pays (literally) to check your Depot every so often and sell off anything that isn't compatible with your current tanks. just check the filters on the left and make sure you have "Show items not compatible with my current tanks" selected. You will find ammo, guns, and all sorts of stuff there to sell, especially if you have a lot of upgraded vehicles.

sampak #5 Posted Jun 24 2011 - 17:24

Captain

• Players
  • 13043 battles
  • [DTD] DTD
Well, you don't get a discount on buying a tank that uses similar stock parts that you researched from a previous tank. However, you can still save money in certain cases, like this:

My USA T-20 medium upgrades to a 90mm as its final gun. I bought that and used it whenever I wanted.

Next I researched the USA T-29 heavy - also happens to use the 90mm gun as ONE of its possible choices (final upgrade is 105mm - which I believe works for other tanks down the line). So once I bought my T-29 - I didn't have to suffer through grinding with the stock joke of a gun. I simply unequipped and moved the 90mm gun onto my T-29 from the T-20. I switch the gun back and forth as I feel like playing between the tanks. I also still had to research the 105mm on my T-29 - but due to expensive shells I still use the 90mm more and I didn't have to buy it twice for each (T-20 and T-29).

Also, I noticed the 105mm Howitzer on the T-20 is the same as used on the M4 Sherman. You guessed it. I bought the gun for the T-20 initially, and then later realizing the 'fun factor' possible on the tier 5 Sherman with the gun, I share this between the two tanks as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users