A few questions from a new WoT Player

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Golaan #1 Posted Jun 24 2011 - 16:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 6459 battles
  • [SOCOM] SOCOM
Ok, started playing earlier this week and thus far am very much addicted to the game.  Fun gameplay, too many choices in hardware, phenomenal graphics, etc., but I've not been able to find a few important bits of information in the manual, etc., and so I ask them here in hopes that one of the more experienced players can shed some light on things for me.

So, without further delay, my questions...

1.  When you transfer a tank crew from one tank to another, the manual says that the core competency level is reduced.

a.  By how much ?

b.  Does the crew gain core competency with the new tank at the same rate they did with their initial tank ?

c.  Does the crew retain it's original core competency level when put back into their original tank ?

d.  If that crew had 100% skill and say 50% repair skill, does the repair skill drop to 0 when the crew is put in a new tank ?

e.  Does the crew's repair skill (in the example above) remain at 50% when put back into their original tank ?

2.  How do you decide with to use AP rounds and when to use HE rounds ?

Very much appreciate any insight into the question above and hope to see you on the battlefield again soon.

Golaan

merig00 #2 Posted Jun 24 2011 - 16:40

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 416 battles
  • [TB-H] TB-H
1. When you transfer a tank crew from one tank to another, the manual says that the core competency level is reduced.

a. By how much ?
Depends from which tank to which you transfer your crew. i don't remember the exact numbers but the penalty is lower if you transfer between similar tanks (from medium tank tier 5 to a medium tank tier 6) and the penalty increases the more tanks are far apart (from light tank  tier 2 to an artillery tier 5)

b. Does the crew gain core competency with the new tank at the same rate they did with their initial tank ?
If you train your crew for the tank - yes.
c. Does the crew retain it's original core competency level when put back into their original tank ?
No. Crew "remembers" only the tank they are currently trained for
d. If that crew had 100% skill and say 50% repair skill, does the repair skill drop to 0 when the crew is put in a new tank ?
It disappears until you get back to 100%. But once your crew hits 100% you'll see the skill back at 50%
e. Does the crew's repair skill (in the example above) remain at 50% when put back into their original tank ?
There's no concept of  "original tank", only the tank your crew is currently trained for.
2. How do you decide with to use AP rounds and when to use HE rounds ?
AP rounds is a solid projectile that hits the armor and penetrates it or does not. So you do damage or you do not.
HE is an explosive rounds so if it penetrates it explodes inside the tank dealing a lot of damamge. If it does not penetrate it will explode on armor spreading the "wave" of damage which can "sink" into the tank if it finds a weak spot.
So HE has a much lower penetration value than AP but higher damage. Hence if you can't penetrate with AP - use HE that way you still do some damage or might hit a weak spot. If you know for sure that your HE can penetrate - use it that way you'll do more damage.

I think all my answers should be correct but double check with Wiki on crew - http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Crew

pekiti #3 Posted Jun 24 2011 - 16:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3669 battles

View PostGolaan, on Jun 24 2011 - 16:24, said:

Ok, started playing earlier this week and thus far am very much addicted to the game.  Fun gameplay, too many choices in hardware, phenomenal graphics, etc., but I've not been able to find a few important bits of information in the manual, etc., and so I ask them here in hopes that one of the more experienced players can shed some light on things for me.

1.  When you transfer a tank crew from one tank to another, the manual says that the core competency level is reduced.

a.  By how much ?

b.  Does the crew gain core competency with the new tank at the same rate they did with their initial tank ?

c.  Does the crew retain it's original core competency level when put back into their original tank ?

d.  If that crew had 100% skill and say 50% repair skill, does the repair skill drop to 0 when the crew is put in a new tank ?

e.  Does the crew's repair skill (in the example above) remain at 50% when put back into their original tank ?

Very much appreciate any insight into the question above and hope to see you on the battlefield again soon.

Golaan

OK, in reverse order:

Use AP unless you have a gun designed for HE (generally, a very short barrel = meant for HE). Switch to HE if you are making very long range shots, or if you consistently have trouble penetrating (you keep hearing 'we didn't even scratch him!' or 'we just dinged him!' from your crew). HE is also very effective against open topped vehicles, like most artillery and low tier Tank Destroyers.

When you transfer a crew from same class of vehicle to same class (light tank to a diff light tank, etc) they lose some of their skills. If you transfer them to a different class of tank (light to heavy, artillery to a medium, etc) they lose a lot more. A 100% crew that transfers to a diff tank of the same class will end up at 90%. The Wiki gives the exact formula, and I encourage you to read it.

As long as they are competent (trained) in the tank they are in, their skill numebrs won't display in red text, and they will resume earning XP just like before. They will NOT continue to earn skill in their secondary skills (repair, camo, firefighting) until they reach 100% in their primary skills, however they won't lose any skill level in their secondary when you transfer, only in their primary.

So your crew of 100% primary and 50% repair transfers to a new tank. they become a 90% crew with 50% repair. Once they gain enough XP again to reach 100%, they begin earning on their repair skills again. Every time you retrain a crew, they lose competency in previous tank(s) and gain it in the one you train them for.

EDIT: Here are the quotes from the Wiki

At the cost of 20,000 credits, this option retrains a crew member to 75%. If a crew member's primary specialization is below 75%, then his primary specialization after retraining is automatically 75%. If the crew member is above 75% in primary specialization, then after retraining it will be as follows:
  • If the crew member is retraining to a vehicle of the same class, then the final experience is 90% of the crew member's current experience level.
  • If the crew member is retraining to a vehicle of a different class, then the final experience is 80% of the crew member's current experience level.
If a crew member's primary qualification percentage drops due to retraining for a different vehicle, all new experience earned will go toward the primary qualification until it reaches 100% again. However, any secondary specialization will not drop and will remain in affect.

Dirtyherby #4 Posted Jun 24 2011 - 16:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8491 battles

a.  By how much ?

Golaan
The other players answered questions 1 so I will just comment on question 2.

The way I do it is start with an AP round and if your shot bounced or ricochet then that is your que to switch to HE rounds.  After awhile you will learn that certain shells do better with certain tanks and you will automatically switch to the appropriate shell.  For example in the highest tiers AP rounds tend to bounce alot on front armor.  So if you are up against an IS-3's front armor you know to switch to HE shells, if your looking at the sides or back then you have a good chance of penetrating so switch back to AP for better damage.  It basically comes down to playing and playing some more and you just learn what does & doesn't work.

Golaan #5 Posted Jun 24 2011 - 18:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 6459 battles
  • [SOCOM] SOCOM
Thanks all, I very much appreciate the detailed insights.

Looking forward to putting all of this new knowledge to use on the battlefield.

Be safe out there.

Golaan

Zakume #6 Posted Jun 25 2011 - 03:01

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31445 battles

a.  By how much ?

Golaan

1a Depends on what % your crew were at before you transfered them. If you're at 100% and transfer for free, they will go down to 80%. With the 20k credit training they will go down to 90%.

1b If you retrained them for that tank then yes, as long as you earn the same amount of xp per battle as in the previous tank.

1c Nope, you must retrain crews for each tank, even ones they have already been in, yeah kinda dumb I know.

1d Nope, you just will not be able to increase it's % on the new tank until your crew gets to 100% again, but all the bonus and current % will be there.

1e Yes unless you got it higher in the new tank?? The % never goes down on the skills.

2. Use AP 90% of the time. Use HE on targets you cannot penetrate with AP, or on soft targets such as artillery.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users