328 replies to this topic

Vanoras #81 Posted Jun 13 2015 - 19:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 381 battles

View PostGomez_Adams, on Jun 13 2015 - 08:27, said:

View PostIc1swnav, on Jun 13 2015 - 08:15, said:

Play WT, constantly getting one shot...makes me angry

Well, this is where the stat [edited]here would say, "Learn to play".

WT is not WoT.

WoT is an arcade game and nothing more. It's Call of Duty, only instead of piloting a soldier, you pilot a tank. The same exact things apply: you look around, try to target something and shoot it. You have hit points and items that can be damaged. Once you hit zero hit points, you die.

WT is an attempt to be more true to life. Even the arcade mode is that way, albeit much easier. It's engineered to be more realistic and true to what would actually happen in combat.

In combat, you don't have hit points. You have armor, parts of a tank, and crew members. Certain crew members you can live without, others you can't. Certain modules you can live without, others you can't. If too many crew are taken out, you die. If your tank gets hit through the fuel tanks and set on fire and you can't put it out, you die. If your tank gets blasted by a bomb and kills your entire crew, you die.

That's why 9 times out of 10, any shell that penetrates is going to kill you. It does in real life, because it's going to hit something or someone...usually both.

So you have to be much more careful about sticking your nose out. Your situational awareness needs to be much higher there than here, because the vast majority of the time in WT, there is no margin for error at all. Here, you can screw up 10 times in a single match and get away with it.

That's the difference between the two. One is an arcade first person shoot, the other is not.

The problem with that is that it leads to a game that's more driving then fighting, which is boring.

That's what made WT : GF an utter disaster of a game, I don't want to drive around forever just to get one shot.

Because that's not fun, which is the entire point of gaming.

Edited by Vanoras, Jun 13 2015 - 19:18.

redberets44 #82 Posted Jun 13 2015 - 19:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30267 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
I play games to escape reality not to get dragged back into it. This doesn't mean I don't want some real life aspects, but I don't want it to get in the way of fun.

madogthefirst #83 Posted Jun 13 2015 - 19:30

Major

• Players
  • 24624 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostVanoras, on Jun 13 2015 - 10:03, said:

The problem with that is that it leads to a game that's more driving then fighting, which is boring.

That's what made WT : GF an utter disaster of a game, I don't want to drive around forever just to get one shot.

So true also where you dump 10 penning shell into a tank and they turn around and one shot you or worse kill your driver (can't move the tank for a few) and knock out your gun (can't return fire and have the make 2min repairs) so you wished you were dead.

N00BSAIB0T #84 Posted Jun 13 2015 - 22:21

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 60676 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
I started playing it again today, since the end of alpha test 2 a few months back. They improved on it quite a bit, looks very promising.

Arashikumo #85 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 01:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12304 battles

Fyi, Gaijin recently stirred up a controversy over its selling practices:

http://steamed.kotaku.com/the-truth-behind-the-steam-summer-sale-controversy-1710941999

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/39ckjx/some_companies_are_raising_prices_on_their_steam/

Keep in mind, while AW is being developed by Obsidian, its publisher Mail.Ru doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation with its practices (think EA equivalent).

It's still pretty much a watch and see for AW, despite its early positive reception.

pcgamer001 #86 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 01:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9686 battles
funny the competition doesn't care if you talk about the other game just shows how scared they are, with commie style gulag chat lock-downs.

IndygoEEI #87 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 06:42

Major

• Players
  • 61449 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

AW will not kill WoT.  Both will coexist happily with each other because AW is not Carbon Copy

of WoT.  I feel that AW is a far bit more realistic because you can't sidescrape, bushes don't

work for camo, tanks are not that mobile, ect.   These and give the game a different dynamic.

Man do I suck at AW.   I wish I had more awareness over there...

BringOnTheSpall #88 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 07:46

Major

• Players
  • 30522 battles
  • [ICONS] ICONS

I dislike the random tank placement of AW and the complete lack of coherent trees or progression

Wargaming however is a terrible company who outright trolls their customers and support is a joke. I like the game, just couldnt imagine a worse bunch of people running it.

BringOnTheSpall #89 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 07:49

Major

• Players
  • 30522 battles
  • [ICONS] ICONS

View PostIndygoEEI, on Jun 14 2015 - 05:42, said:

AW will not kill WoT.  Both will coexist happily with each other because AW is not Carbon Copy

of WoT.  I feel that AW is a far bit more realistic because you can't sidescrape, bushes don't

work for camo, tanks are not that mobile, ect.   These and give the game a different dynamic.

Man do I suck at AW.   I wish I had more awareness over there...

how does that add up to more realistic? Tanks in bushes worked as camo throughout the second world war pretty effectively in countless battles.

_Dynamic_Gameplay_ #90 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 12:36

Captain

• Players
  • 30770 battles
How on earth is this thread still up? I am literally blown away.

tomi87 #91 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 13:15

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 40390 battles
  • [SUX] SUX
dont know..but i bet they will close it soon

Gomez_Adams #92 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 13:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 5 battles

View PostVanoras, on Jun 13 2015 - 13:03, said:

Really?

Again, learn to play:

I can assure you that taking out 13 tanks and assisting in the kills of 3 others for a total of 16 while only dying twice did NOT involve NEARLY as much driving as it did fighting.

You're doing it wrong.

Guy4123 #93 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 13:48

Major

• Players
  • 4863 battles
  • [MUP] MUP

View PostJaguaratron, on Jun 14 2015 - 06:46, said:

I dislike the random tank placement of AW and the complete lack of coherent trees or progression

Wargaming however is a terrible company who outright trolls their customers and support is a joke. I like the game, just couldnt imagine a worse bunch of people running it.

On the other hand Wargamings uncompromising stance of "THEIR MUST BE A TIER 1 THROUGH TIER 10 OF THE SAME NATION!!! (unless it's a Russian T10 medium)" tech trees basically forces tanks out of the game that would fit perfectly and people want, or come years later like the Firelfy while they make a bunch of junk to fill in the tree (FV4005). They could do with being a bit more flexible.

Gomez_Adams #94 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 14:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 5 battles

View PostArashikumo, on Jun 13 2015 - 19:17, said:

Fyi, Gaijin recently stirred up a controversy over its selling practices:

http://steamed.kotaku.com/the-truth-behind-the-steam-summer-sale-controversy-1710941999

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/39ckjx/some_companies_are_raising_prices_on_their_steam/

Keep in mind, while AW is being developed by Obsidian, its publisher Mail.Ru doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation with its practices (think EA equivalent).

It's still pretty much a watch and see for AW, despite its early positive reception.

And the only reason that happened is that Steam never told them about it. The Gaijin administrators didn't find out about it until someone actually contacted them with a query about it.

And in the end, the entire thing made a difference of 4 bucks. They offered to refund anybody the difference that purchased it.

Big whoop.

suleiman71 #95 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 14:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4724 battles
  • [DETN8] DETN8

View PostGuy4123, on Jun 14 2015 - 07:48, said:

On the other hand Wargamings uncompromising stance of "THEIR MUST BE A TIER 1 THROUGH TIER 10 OF THE SAME NATION!!! (unless it's a Russian T10 medium)" tech trees basically forces tanks out of the game that would fit perfectly and people want, or come years later like the Firelfy while they make a bunch of junk to fill in the tree (FV4005). They could do with being a bit more flexible.

They should have made the Firefly's line with the other British medium line, and also connected the Archer TD line to it.

Basically connecting them like this.

--> (Covenanter to Sherman)

----->(Crusader to Firefly)

--------->(Firefly to whatever the t7 new TD)

Edited by ShermanMedium, Jun 14 2015 - 14:26.

3bagsfull #96 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 14:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2713 battles
If you have ever served in the military and fired a big gun, you'd realize how idiotic it is to fire into a thick, dense bush (or any object for that matter) 15 meters away from the front of your tube.   That practice has a 1 word definition - INSANITY.

Vanoras #97 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 15:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 381 battles

View PostGomez_Adams, on Jun 14 2015 - 07:29, said:

Really?

Again, learn to play:

I can assure you that taking out 13 tanks and assisting in the kills of 3 others for a total of 16 while only dying twice did NOT involve NEARLY as much driving as it did fighting.

You're doing it wrong.

I was playing with foliage, some players don't, not sure how much of an advantage that was, or if they fixed it, but getting one shot isn't fun.

For me, I just drove trying to find the enemy and generally got blown up so fast I barely had time to fight, wasn't fun for me.

I don't care what game you play, only posted about the general feelings I got from the game, that seems shared by many.

If WT had an HP system instead, I might try it again, but without it, I find it too random.

I know you can learn weak spots, but getting killed by the first shot that hits you, isn't fun because that shot has as much chance to be random as it has of being well aimed.

And then you have the derp guns, not sure how they work in WT, haven't seen any videos, can they kill your crew without penning you ?

And then there are the stupid planes, against which your tank can't do anything, that's a terrible game mechanic.

Gomez_Adams #98 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 15:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 5 battles

View PostVanoras, on Jun 14 2015 - 09:41, said:

I was playing with foliage, some players don't, not sure how much of an advantage that was, or if they fixed it, but getting one shot isn't fun.

That hasn't been an issue since the 1.49 patch. They already fixed that.

I don't care what game you play, only posted about the general feelings I got from the game, that seems shared by many.

Many, eh?

Players online here right now: 17,230

Players online at WT right now: 73,980

I think your definition of 'many' needs a bit of work.

If WT had an HP system instead, I might try it again, but without it, I find it too random.

If it had a HP system and the RNG this place does, they would never have made it to the point they have. THIS game is based on random junk. That game is not. You get seen, you get shot, you die. A bush isn't going to save you. A tree isn't going to make you invisible. There is no "spotting mechanic". If you can see them, you can see them. If you can't, you can't. It's that simple.

It is this games plethora of flaws and randomness to the point that it eliminated your skill that ran everybody off. Over there is where you skill actually matters, there are no real "lucky breaks of RNG" and complete randomness that save your life which is why some of the people here don't like it.

I know you can learn weak spots, but getting killed by the first shot that hits you, isn't fun because that shot has as much chance to be random as it has of being well aimed.

No, it doesn't. If it isn't well aimed, it's not going to hit you to begin with, let alone kill you. There, shells go where you aim them, which is why you have to be more careful about just barging into it like you do here.

And then there are the stupid planes, against which your tank can't do anything, that's a terrible game mechanic.

I've got three battle awards for shooting down planes with my IS-2 mod 44 and T-34 85E. Again, it's you. Not the game.

Vanoras #99 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 16:54

Sergeant

• Players
  • 381 battles

View PostGomez_Adams, on Jun 14 2015 - 09:51, said:

That hasn't been an issue since the 1.49 patch. They already fixed that.

Many, eh?

Players online here right now: 17,230

Players online at WT right now: 73,980

I think your definition of 'many' needs a bit of work.

If it had a HP system and the RNG this place does, they would never have made it to the point they have. THIS game is based on random junk. That game is not. You get seen, you get shot, you die. A bush isn't going to save you. A tree isn't going to make you invisible. There is no "spotting mechanic". If you can see them, you can see them. If you can't, you can't. It's that simple.

It is this games plethora of flaws and randomness to the point that it eliminated your skill that ran everybody off. Over there is where you skill actually matters, there are no real "lucky breaks of RNG" and complete randomness that save your life which is why some of the people here don't like it.

No, it doesn't. If it isn't well aimed, it's not going to hit you to begin with, let alone kill you. There, shells go where you aim them, which is why you have to be more careful about just barging into it like you do here.

I've got three battle awards for shooting down planes with my IS-2 mod 44 and T-34 85E. Again, it's you. Not the game.

Good to know they fixed that, it sure wasn't fixed when I played it.

I seem to recall that WT gave numbers for the world since you could choose which server you wanted to try to find a game on, could be wrong though.

And those numbers include those flying, not just GF.

And I never stated no one plays it, I simply stated that many dislike the one shots in that game.

It sure as hell didn't feel that way to me, but then I had untrained crews.

Where the hell did I claim to like WoT's RNG again ?

I didn't play anything higher then tier 1, so posting about getting a few kills with a tier 3 or 4 tank isn't going to impress me.

The MGs on the tanks never felt like they could hit the planes that came after me, maybe it was a bug, I don't know, but getting attacked by planes felt like getting attacked by WoT's artillery.

Edited by Vanoras, Jun 14 2015 - 17:28.

Gomez_Adams #100 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 16:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 5 battles

I look like a jerk and a fanboy?

You trash talked a game like you played it regularly and knew what you were talking about, and then you admit:

- You never made it past T1.

- You never played recently.

- You have ZERO experience in the game other than getting one shot in a T1.

- You talk up World of Tanks like it's the second coming of Christ.

It's abundantly clear who the jerk and fanboy is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users