How to draw a WZ-120

How to draw a KV-4

How to draw an M4 Sherman

How to draw a Cent Mk. 7/1

How to draw an FV304

How to draw an Ru 251

How to draw an ELC AMX

How to draw a KV-2

Requested by _Zesty_, HowitzerBlitzer and a few others who have been wanting another MBT-style tank, is the STB-1.

For this one I decided on a closer up angle of the left side, kind of a longer one with some elevation on the camera down on the tank for a really cool angle. Should look good.

I started off much how I started off with the Ru251, by point plotting and drawing lines to get the perspective on lockdown.

Afterwards I decided to detail the hull a bit- mostly just so I could get started on the road wheels. It was actually kind of tough getting the front-left part of the tank correct(the tank's left), because of the notched part of the hull where the headlamps go.

After drawing some really basic roadwheels, I decided to clean up some of the lines and draw guide lines elsewhere that plots out the turret and it's cuploas with measurements from the reference. Kinda helps me to see how big the final product will be.

Here I cleaned up the road wheels and added some basic depth lines, so it'd be super easy to make the tracks.

Here's the tracks. Very exciting! Yeay! Brilliant!

And here's detailing the running gear. This was actually very hard- because I tried to follow the wobbly track slack. Other than that... I think it turned out alright.

After cleaning up the hull a little bit, I get started on the basic turret shape. This was especially hard- the guide lines helped a lot. This really curvy turret did not do me any favors with this FOV.

Here's the turret with basic shapes of the cuploas and the placement of the gun.

Here's details added to the turret, and me getting started on the gun. And yes, I know you guys always complain about me not drawing the machine gun, but I really can't be bothered. I don't mind the look of it with just the mount there anyways.

Gun's completed here. A few more details added to the turret too. The tank is basically finished.

And here's the final image. This is a 1920x1080 wallpaper. I added some shading and some decals, also some Japanese. Now- I emailed my stepsister(who is studying linguistics) and asked her what Japanese characters she'd put on a tank, so that's what I've done. I don't completely know what I put on there, and I don't have a Japanese keyboard to re-type into Google Translate and find out, so I'd appreciate if someone could confirm I don't have something totally inappropriate written on the tank. Eeek.

Other than that, I definitely had to push the STB-1 to priority after all the requests I kept getting to draw it. Hope you STB-1 drivers enjoy this guide and wallpaper, and see you guys on US West tonight! (I've got a Leo PTA crew to skill up...)

Album link: http://imgur.com/a/R7cCA

Cl0r0x_4_U #2 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 03:54

Major

• Players
  • 27345 battles
  • [KANTO] KANTO
Amx 30B! :D Plzzz

Mikasa_Ackerman_ #3 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 03:55

Captain

• -Players-
  • 451 battles
What you did with the turret makes so much more sense than when I tried to sketch it, my god.

Commder_Kozak #4 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 03:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15861 battles

another great picture, take all the upboats!

KV-1(E/Zis-5 model maybe?) or PZ4G/H plz

Medessec #5 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 04:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 26431 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

View Postcaptainspetsnaz, on Jun 14 2015 - 02:54, said:

Amx 30B! :D Plzzz

It's on the list! No worries! I might actually do it soon since you want it that bad... :teethhappy:

View PostMikasa_Ackerman_, on Jun 14 2015 - 02:55, said:

What you did with the turret makes so much more sense than when I tried to sketch it, my god.

Yeah... that turret was not any fun to draw. But yeah- how I actually started was making the bottom line of the gun mantlet, and then sort of drawing the rest of the turret around that.

Ya gotta start with simpler shapes. Trying to draw it right away will make you want to kill yourself. Hopefully you didn't dig yourself too deep of a hole when trying to draw it... I've done that, and it's just all bad.

View PostCommder_Kozak, on Jun 14 2015 - 02:55, said:

another great picture, take all the upboats!

KV-1(E/Zis-5 model maybe?) or PZ4G/H plz

I put the requests down when you mentioned it on the other topic. I'd love to do these tanks- but it may take some time to go through the other requests. I'll bump them if more people want to see them, but yeah. I gotcha!

Shifty__ #6 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 04:04

Major

• Players
  • 30917 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
Bro, I wish I had your drawing talent.

Mikasa_Ackerman_ #7 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 04:13

Captain

• -Players-
  • 451 battles

View PostMedessec, on Jun 14 2015 - 04:03, said:

It's on the list! No worries! I might actually do it soon since you want it that bad... :teethhappy:

Yeah... that turret was not any fun to draw. But yeah- how I actually started was making the bottom line of the gun mantlet, and then sort of drawing the rest of the turret around that.

Ya gotta start with simpler shapes. Trying to draw it right away will make you want to kill yourself. Hopefully you didn't dig yourself too deep of a hole when trying to draw it... I've done that, and it's just all bad.

I put the requests down when you mentioned it on the other topic. I'd love to do these tanks- but it may take some time to go through the other requests. I'll bump them if more people want to see them, but yeah. I gotcha!

I did your steps 1 and 2 for the turret (so I had the basic oval) and then tried to jump straight into detailing...

Medessec #8 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 04:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 26431 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

View PostMikasa_Ackerman_, on Jun 14 2015 - 03:13, said:

I did your steps 1 and 2 for the turret (so I had the basic oval) and then tried to jump straight into detailing...

Oh! so you didn't use the guide lines... I think you had the right idea then. The only reason I use the guide lines is to keep the measurements tight- it does help a little bit, but it doesn't make it look better to me... just makes it look accurate. And it can still throw me off. Just one of those things where I draw it to the guide line, erase the lines and clean up the basic, and then shrug and move on. Drawing stuff like this is like that quite a bit. :mellow:

Slayer_Jesse #9 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 04:33

Major

• Players
  • 26844 battles
  • [SAKU] SAKU
Do the Locust :)

_Direwolf #10 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 04:37

Major

• Players
  • 11554 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

Your drawing threads have to be one of the highlights of the forums for me.

+1 as always :)

rover5700heirloom #11 Posted Jun 14 2015 - 06:47

Major

• Players
  • 44173 battles
I enjoy them also   

Bauti97 #12 Posted Jun 15 2015 - 23:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 41390 battles

Dude, your work is insane!! I'm finding this tutorials really helpfull.
From my part, I aprecciate the dedication you are putting into this and congratulate you!
I usually draw tanks and specially for art classes at school, and some of the tanks I drew where 100% based on your tutorials

If you don't mind I show you this one I made when I was bored at school...

Best regards, and keep on the good work you are doing!

Medessec #13 Posted Jun 17 2015 - 04:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 26431 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

View PostSirTigerAce, on Jun 15 2015 - 22:16, said:

Dude, your work is insane!! I'm finding this tutorials really helpfull.
From my part, I aprecciate the dedication you are putting into this and congratulate you!
I usually draw tanks and specially for art classes at school, and some of the tanks I drew where 100% based on your tutorials

If you don't mind I show you this one I made when I was bored at school...

Best regards, and keep on the good work you are doing!

Thanks very much!

And your artwork is exceptional. The attention to detail is pretty good, and the shading and style is pretty neat. VERY easily distinguishable as a Tiger I.

I'd encourage you to definitely keep drawing. You seem to have a knack for it... and yeah... school will give you a lot of free time for it. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users