Jump to content


Want to win more? XVM Win Chance - Should you turn it on or off?

SaskO XVM Win Chance Want to win more

  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Sask_Outrider #1 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 32136 battles
  • 2,346
  • Member since:
    08-20-2012

Please note:  If you do not believe you have control over your win rate please read this post: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/227903-the-ruthless-math-of-wot-and-why-every-tank-matters/

If you still do not believe go find your tin foil hat, put it on, and stop reading this thread.

 

This is a post in a series of posts on what you can do to win more.  Here is a link to the "table of contents" of the series: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/337049-sask-outriders-want-to-win-more-series/

 

 

There are a number of players that post on this forum that people should turn off Win Chance.  I currently have it turned on because I am collecting stats and this is a stat that I am collecting as a representation of the relative skill level between the two teams.

 

If I was not collecting statistics I would be switching it on and off all the time.  Why do you ask?  I depends on where my head is at when I am playing.

 

When I am in a good frame of mind I find XVM win chance a useful motivator.  If I see a 30% chance to win I use that as a "I need to work hard for the win".  If I see a 70% chance to win I use it as a "I need to live up to the stats I am bringing to this game".

 

When I am in a less than good frame of mind XVM win chance works as a de-motivator.  If I see a 30% chance to win I will go to a dark place and if I see a 70% chance to win and lose I go to even a darker place.  In reality I should really just walk away from the game at that point.

 

So in conclusion if you start looking for a lake to drive into when you see a 30% chance to win you should turn it off.  On the other hand if you see it as a challenge when you see a low chance to win then keep it on.

 

Thoughts?



xTheButcherPete #2 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 15324 battles
  • 4,373
  • Member since:
    08-23-2012
Off.

ScumbagArty_ #3 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:30

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7579 battles
  • 550
  • Member since:
    03-29-2015
I only have mine turned on for post-game results. No reason to see it during the game.

Themutt36 #4 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:35

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20461 battles
  • 1,647
  • Member since:
    11-09-2011

I always look at it as 50% win, 49.5% lose, 0.5% draw.  

But my stats show it the other way around LOL



monkey10120_Buttercup #5 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:37

    Major

  • Players
  • 20471 battles
  • 3,038
  • Member since:
    02-05-2013

Win chance means nothing. 

 

1% or 99% there is always a chance



DopeRaider #6 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:37

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 14750 battles
  • 955
  • [S_U_X] S_U_X
  • Member since:
    06-12-2013

Off.  My win-rate went up significantly after I stopped using the win-chance prediction.  There are far more important things to consider before the battle starts: 

  1. Composition of enemy team.
  2. Composition of my team. 
  3. Likely deployments based on #1 & #2.
  4. Form a plan based on my tank's capabilities and #3.
    • Then...
  5. React to any miscalculations in #3.
  6. Profit.

Edited by Water_Master, Jul 09 2015 - 21:41.


Canoodian #7 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:43

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 42933 battles
  • 3,083
  • Member since:
    09-07-2010

View PostSumusImmortalis, on Jul 09 2015 - 16:30, said:

I only have mine turned on for post-game results. No reason to see it during the game.

 

Theres plenty of reason to see it in the game. Thats the only time it actually matters. It lets you know how aggressively to play

Taggeth #8 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:45

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 11674 battles
  • 605
  • [FRAY] FRAY
  • Member since:
    06-23-2012
I turned it off long ago.  Half the time you win with a low chance and you lose with a high chance.  So why look at a useless stat.  Especially if it's going to make you feel depressed when you get a low win %. 

LordKrell #9 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:46

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 14509 battles
  • 223
  • Member since:
    01-22-2012

I have win chance off and all the colors off as well. I only use XVM for some of the extra features in the garage and so on.

 

I guess I find it easier to treat everyone equally, and not by some color. If a teammate helps me get the job done, I don't care what color he is.

 

I also find it pretty easy to evaluate a team from the initial deployment. Like, it's not always a good sign when 8 tanks bump into each other in the cap circle at the beginning or when all your heavies go valley in Lakeville encounter. Pretty basic stuff.

 



Tornadowolf11 #10 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:52

    Major

  • Players
  • 29921 battles
  • 2,521
  • [T-GOD] T-GOD
  • Member since:
    10-12-2012
I keep it off.  If my chance to win is high, I get cocky.  If my chance to win is low, I get depressed. 

Winterpwner #11 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 8418 battles
  • 11,067
  • [ANZIO] ANZIO
  • Member since:
    03-16-2011
Vanilla here, I don't understand why people think that these kinds of statistics give you a justified reason to suicide or to give up playing.

RedBaronK #12 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 41347 battles
  • 2,997
  • [MAIDS] MAIDS
  • Member since:
    11-26-2012

Off. Its a demoralizing factor before the battle even begins. And then there's the overconfidence it creates for a team and u see a team of Blues going full potato against reds and lose. 

 



ScumbagArty_ #13 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:55

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7579 battles
  • 550
  • Member since:
    03-29-2015

View PostCory123125, on Jul 09 2015 - 15:43, said:

Theres plenty of reason to see it in the game. Thats the only time it actually matters. It lets you know how aggressively to play

 

If anything, the individual stats of your enemies/allies are what you should be looking at to determine how aggressively to play (Enemy has unicum TDs? Keep an eye on the common TD areas, ETC).

 

Win chance never really matters, it's just kind of interesting to know what it was after the game is over.


Edited by SumusImmortalis, Jul 09 2015 - 21:58.


roneth #14 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:56

    Captain

  • Players
  • 33216 battles
  • 1,136
  • Member since:
    07-04-2011

Off.

 

I have it on the after battle reports.  At the time the match is put together, the win % chance means nothing.  You have to play the match you are put in.  I play to win every match.  Some are just better than others.

 

Afterwards, I look at it, but, its afterwards.  Had the lowest I have ever seen last night 11% win chance.  I have not seen it lower.

 

Also, you can look at the other team, and look your team over, and put together in your head what you think your chances are.  You dont need the game to give you an exact percentage.



EdibleEmpire #15 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:59

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 26154 battles
  • 1,282
  • Member since:
    09-08-2010

I don't have it. 

 

I have XVM, view range, render range. I found I tend to play better with fewer mods and I'm not really experienced with mods. A win chance % on the post battle report would be nice - it would let you know if you and your teammates over or under achieved.

 

 



RingZero #16 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 21:59

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21362 battles
  • 2,447
  • [-G-] -G-
  • Member since:
    05-30-2014
Off

Canoodian #17 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 22:39

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 42933 battles
  • 3,083
  • Member since:
    09-07-2010

View PostSumusImmortalis, on Jul 09 2015 - 16:55, said:

 

If anything, the individual stats of your enemies/allies are what you should be looking at to determine how aggressively to play (Enemy has unicum TDs? Keep an eye on the common TD areas, ETC).

 

Win chance never really matters, it's just kind of interesting to know what it was after the game is over.

 

Why is it interesting if it never matters? A bit of dissonance in that statement. It clearly has use. Just because some things might be a little bit more useful in other scenarios doesnt make this useless.

ballinbadger #18 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 22:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 17362 battles
  • 16,850
  • [AWFUL] AWFUL
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013
Humans are very complex creatures. I generally don't buy into the idea that it's easy to predict how we react to things, even after the fact it can be difficult to explain. However, we love our narratives, and the idea of motivation makes for a good one...and acknowledging ignorance isn't much of a narrative now, is it? I generally find explanations like this are ex post facto explanations made to fit a narrative, but I think it's a heck of a lot harder to predict what their actual impact is. I keep win chance turned off because I have better things to do during countdown. Like drink beer.

ScumbagArty_ #19 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 23:22

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7579 battles
  • 550
  • Member since:
    03-29-2015

View PostCory123125, on Jul 09 2015 - 16:39, said:

Why is it interesting if it never matters? A bit of dissonance in that statement.

 

You're implying nothing is interesting unless it has an objective.. Stop and think about that for a second.

 

View PostCory123125, on Jul 09 2015 - 16:39, said:

Just because some things might be a little bit more useful in other scenarios doesnt make this useless.

 

I never said that win chance was less useful than anything - I said win chance is completely useless (when helping you decide how to play, obviously). The point you're trying to make isn't relevant here.

Edited by SumusImmortalis, Jul 09 2015 - 23:29.


HazardDrake #20 Posted Jul 09 2015 - 23:29

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 9291 battles
  • 2,083
  • Member since:
    09-18-2014
On ONLY if you use it properly.

I use it to gauge how my team is doing during the battle vs where it started.

Alive win chance going up? Good, their best players and/or lots of tanks are getting killed. Keep practicing normal map awareness.

Alive win chance going down? Check the map very carefully and see if you need to get more agressive, less agressive, reposition or whatever.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users