Jump to content


Want to win more? XVM Win Chance - Should you turn it on or off?

SaskO XVM Win Chance Want to win more

  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

ScumbagArty_ #41 Posted Jul 10 2015 - 06:59

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7579 battles
  • 550
  • Member since:
    03-29-2015

View PostCory123125, on Jul 09 2015 - 23:02, said:

Ah, so it turns out you do think its useful in game and what I thought you were implying before is exactly right..... .who wudda thunk......

 

...What? Somehow from this post, where I'm clearly doing nothing but claiming that it's useless, you determine I'm admitting it's useful? Lol?

 

Jesus Christ, I even used the word "useless" in the quote you're referring to. Somehow you got "hes admitting that its useful" from me plainly calling it useless. Wow.

 

View PostCory123125, on Jul 09 2015 - 23:02, said:

The point is though, that this will do addition faster than you can in game. Its easy for you to pick out a platoon of unicums, but you cant make a sum of a team off hand very quickly or accurately. Thats how the chance to win helps.

 

Right, because the pre-game loader or the 20 seconds of countdown isn't enough time. Lol.

 

Please tell me, what would be the use of being able to "accurately" determine a win chance? You're acting like being off by 10 to 20% win chance should affect the way you deploy/play, which is ridiculous. It's also ridiculous to assume that any reasonable person would bother trying to calculate win chance - if the difference in skill is prevalent enough to change your playstyle (10% win chance or less), it's also painfully obvious just by glancing at the WN8 colors (yet another reason why win chance is useless).


Edited by SumusImmortalis, Jul 10 2015 - 07:05.


Canoodian #42 Posted Jul 10 2015 - 07:04

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 42933 battles
  • 3,083
  • Member since:
    09-07-2010

View PostSumusImmortalis, on Jul 10 2015 - 01:59, said:

 

...What? Somehow from this post, where I'm clearly doing nothing but claiming that it's useless, you determine I'm admitting it's useful? Lol?

 

Jesus Christ, I even used the word "useless" in the quote you're referring to. Somehow you got "hes admitting that its useful" from me plainly calling it useless. Wow.

 

 

Right, because the pre-game loader or the 20 seconds of countdown isn't enough time. Lol.

 

Please tell me, what would be the use of being able to "accurately" determine a win chance? You're acting like being off by 10 to 20% win chance should affect the way you deploy/play, which is ridiculous.

 

Reading comprehension my good lad.

 

Block Quote

 So naturally, if you have two things that do the same thing, but one does it much better

 Do you fail to understand what the word better or same mean in this context?! You said this, not me. The fact is that you ignore the benefits this has over just a plain list out of ignorance and refuse to acknowledge any use at all. If you are just going to continue the whole "its completely useless, but personal stats are better", just dont bother replying and feel free to go on in smug ignorance.

 



ScumbagArty_ #43 Posted Jul 10 2015 - 07:10

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7579 battles
  • 550
  • Member since:
    03-29-2015

View PostCory123125, on Jul 10 2015 - 01:04, said:

Reading comprehension my good lad.

 

No real response then? Alrighty.

 

View PostCory123125, on Jul 10 2015 - 01:04, said:

 Do you fail to understand what the word better or same mean in this context?! You said this, not me. The fact is that you ignore the benefits this has over just a plain list out of ignorance and refuse to acknowledge any use at all. If you are just going to continue the whole "its completely useless, but personal stats are better", just dont bother replying and feel free to go on in smug ignorance.

 

This is the second time you've taken something i've said completely out of context.

 

If you're having a hard time following, that context is: It would be useful, if not for the fact that individual stats make it unnecessary. That is certainly not me admitting that it's useful, but that should be obvious.


Edited by SumusImmortalis, Jul 10 2015 - 07:12.


Canoodian #44 Posted Jul 10 2015 - 07:20

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 42933 battles
  • 3,083
  • Member since:
    09-07-2010

View PostSumusImmortalis, on Jul 10 2015 - 02:10, said:

 It would be useful, if not for the fact that individual stats make it unnecessary. That is certainly not me admitting that it's useful, but that should be obvious.

This is exactly what I claimed you said. Youve denied this multiple times now trying to get off on a technicality. As per the usual, the majority of your reply had nothing of worth so I took the liberty of dropping it.

 

 

The fact remains, you think it has use in game, but that personal stats are better for the same purpose. Thus, a reasonable, functional person could conclude, that it is infact useful.

 

 

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, unless you are too stubborn in which case I wont bother replying again, we can talk about the differences, like the ones Ive already laid out (recap: speed and accuracy of information processing). If you want to go with 30% off being within the reasonable level of accuracy, then youre fine to play with inaccurate information. I however would prefer a computer doing something with tons of resources  and time put into making it accurate than an offhand guess. If you dont think its accurate, you can go ahead and do some light research and youll see the bell curves align fairly accurately. If you think your guessing in game with 30 names and 120 different statistics is better, then I personally would like to attend your nobel prize awarding.



ScumbagArty_ #45 Posted Jul 10 2015 - 07:51

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7579 battles
  • 550
  • Member since:
    03-29-2015

View PostCory123125, on Jul 10 2015 - 01:20, said:

This is exactly what I claimed you said. Youve denied this multiple times now trying to get off on a technicality. As per the usual, the majority of your reply had nothing of worth so I took the liberty of dropping it.

 

 

Lol - if claiming that "win chance would be useful, if not for individual stats" is a technicality, I guess I'll take that technicality. Also lol@ my posts being "nothing of worth" just because they're stomping all over your arguments. Getting desperate?

 

View PostCory123125, on Jul 10 2015 - 01:20, said:

 The fact remains, you think it has use in game, but that personal stats are better for the same purpose.

 

I never, ever said this, or even implied it. I said that it does not have its use in game, precisely because personal stats are available. There is no niche for win chance being used over personal stats, therefore it's totally useless in every single instance.

 

View PostCory123125, on Jul 10 2015 - 01:20, said:

 If you want to go with 30% off being within the reasonable level of accuracy, then youre fine to play with inaccurate information. I however would prefer a computer doing something with tons of resources  and time put into making it accurate than an offhand guess. If you dont think its accurate, you can go ahead and do some light research and youll see the bell curves align fairly accurately.

 

Here you're implying that you would play/deploy differently based on 30% +/- win chance. This is a huge mistake on your part. Also, I never implied win chance was inaccurate, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there.

 

View PostCory123125, on Jul 10 2015 - 01:20, said:

 If you think your guessing in game with 30 names and 120 different statistics is better, then I personally would like to attend your nobel prize awarding.

 

It's not a guessing game at all, and yes, it absolutely is better - as I've already said, attempting to calculate win chance would be unreasonable, because win chance is a waste of time.

 

Instead, I know which players are good, which players are bad, which teammates I can trust, which I can't, where the good players are likely to go, where the bad players are likely to go, and where I'll be most effective considering all this. There is absolutely no comparison, even the worst player will find no use for win chance once he sees personal stats (Oh darn, I used my "loophole" again).

 

 

 


Edited by SumusImmortalis, Jul 10 2015 - 07:55.


predavolk #46 Posted Jul 10 2015 - 14:50

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 10160 battles
  • 838
  • Member since:
    12-10-2013

I cannot believe how FRAGILE so many of you are.  "Oooh, a little number told me I was going to lose.  Time to curl into a ball and cry!"  Seriously!?!

 

Block Quote

When I am in a good frame of mind I find XVM win chance a useful motivator.  If I see a 30% chance to win I use that as a "I need to work hard for the win".  If I see a 70% chance to win I use it as a "I need to live up to the stats I am bringing to this game".

 

The OP's original mindset is how I approach it.  It gives me good information.  A 17% tells me not to even think about getting good play from my team.  Time to put on my big boy carrying pants.  An 83% tells me it's going to be a dash for the cash, so get it while it's there.  That's valuable information.  So is XVM telling me that our top tier heavies are red, theirs are purple, and our purples are in bottom tier heavies vs. their reds.  That's also valuable information.

 

I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever seen a 20% chance and thought there's no way we'll win this.  The reverse is true for an 80%.  Probabilities are just that- probabilities!

 

It honestly really, really surprises me that so many people here are so strongly affected by a little number.  It's like turning off XVM because you don't want to be shot by a red player.  Or you suicide if you see a dark purple (and you aren't one).  REALLY?  IT'S ONLY A PREDICTION PEOPLE.  It's not a future that is written in stone.  And if you're depressed at the thought of having to play a tough match I guess it's also worth suiciding if you're bottom tier?  Honest to jeebus.

 

Fight hard.  Fight true.  Fight to your last HP.  Win or lose, that's how to play this game.  The Win% can help shape your strategy in that fight as well as let you know that it wasn't all on you for your team failing.  Being scared of, or emotionally affected by, what the magic number tells you is just baffling to me.



HighPitch #47 Posted Jul 10 2015 - 14:59

    Major

  • Players
  • 43469 battles
  • 7,654
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    05-24-2011

View PostSumusImmortalis, on Jul 09 2015 - 15:30, said:

I only have mine turned on for post-game results.

Why would you even bother with that?



Tazilon #48 Posted Jul 10 2015 - 15:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 94130 battles
  • 9,194
  • [-40-] -40-
  • Member since:
    09-02-2011
Keep it off.  You should strive to do your best in every game.  Don't let some arbitrary number influence you before the game even starts.

BOT_Xen #49 Posted Jul 10 2015 - 15:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 38179 battles
  • 5,093
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR
  • Member since:
    04-15-2012

View Postmonkey10120_Buttercup, on Jul 09 2015 - 12:37, said:

Win chance means nothing. 

 

1% or 99% there is always a chance

 

^

 

Thats why it is a win CHANCE not a win promise. It tells me nothing guaranteed. There for it is a useless stat.



ballinbadger #50 Posted Jul 10 2015 - 16:03

    Major

  • Players
  • 17362 battles
  • 16,850
  • [AWFUL] AWFUL
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013

View PostTazilon, on Jul 10 2015 - 15:53, said:

Keep it off.  You should strive to do your best in every game.  Don't let some arbitrary number influence you before the game even starts.

 

Seriously, for those that think it's useful, what, do you play worse in easy games or something? If you're trying to play your best every game, what does it tell you that's useful, exactly? 



Sask_Outrider #51 Posted Jul 10 2015 - 17:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 32136 battles
  • 2,346
  • Member since:
    08-20-2012

View Postpredavolk, on Jul 10 2015 - 07:50, said:

I cannot believe how FRAGILE so many of you are.  "Oooh, a little number told me I was going to lose.  Time to curl into a ball and cry!"  Seriously!?!

 

 

The OP's original mindset is how I approach it.  It gives me good information.  A 17% tells me not to even think about getting good play from my team.  Time to put on my big boy carrying pants.  An 83% tells me it's going to be a dash for the cash, so get it while it's there.  That's valuable information.  So is XVM telling me that our top tier heavies are red, theirs are purple, and our purples are in bottom tier heavies vs. their reds.  That's also valuable information.

 

I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever seen a 20% chance and thought there's no way we'll win this.  The reverse is true for an 80%.  Probabilities are just that- probabilities!

 

It honestly really, really surprises me that so many people here are so strongly affected by a little number.  It's like turning off XVM because you don't want to be shot by a red player.  Or you suicide if you see a dark purple (and you aren't one).  REALLY?  IT'S ONLY A PREDICTION PEOPLE.  It's not a future that is written in stone.  And if you're depressed at the thought of having to play a tough match I guess it's also worth suiciding if you're bottom tier?  Honest to jeebus.

 

Fight hard.  Fight true.  Fight to your last HP.  Win or lose, that's how to play this game.  The Win% can help shape your strategy in that fight as well as let you know that it wasn't all on you for your team failing.  Being scared of, or emotionally affected by, what the magic number tells you is just baffling to me.

 

Thanks for reading my post as it was intended.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users