JagdTiger

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
290 replies to this topic

Poll: JagdTiger (550 members have cast votes)

What equipment do you use on the JagdTiger?

1. Improved Ventilation Class 3 (336 votes [22.30%])

Percentage of vote: 22.30%

2. Enhanced Gun Laying Drive (113 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

3. Coated Optics (178 votes [11.81%])

Percentage of vote: 11.81%

4. Large-caliber Tank Gun Rammer (505 votes [33.51%])

Percentage of vote: 33.51%

5. Large Spall Liner (186 votes [12.34%])

Percentage of vote: 12.34%

6. Fill Tanks with CO2 (4 votes [0.27%])

Percentage of vote: 0.27%

7. Camouflage Net (172 votes [11.41%])

Percentage of vote: 11.41%

8. None (13 votes [0.86%])

Percentage of vote: 0.86%

What Consumables do you use on the JagdTiger?

1. Large Repair Kit (41 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

2. Large First Aid Kit (24 votes [1.60%])

Percentage of vote: 1.60%

3. Chocolate (15 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

4. Automatic Fire Extinguishers (44 votes [2.93%])

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

5. Small Repair Kit (471 votes [31.34%])

Percentage of vote: 31.34%

6. Small First Aid Kit (437 votes [29.08%])

Percentage of vote: 29.08%

7. Manual Fire Extinguisher (428 votes [28.48%])

Percentage of vote: 28.48%

8. None (43 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

Vote Hide poll

Charcharo #1 Posted Jun 27 2011 - 13:47

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Pride of the Fatherland!
http://img8.imagesha.../jagdtiger1.jpg
The Jagdtiger (AKA JagdPanzer VI Tiger, Big-Bad-Kaboom thing) is a Tier 9 Heavy Tank Destroyer. It’s the end of the German TD line (until E100 STUG comes out) and is obviously a tank that needs to be taken VERY seriously even from tier 10 tanks.

Previous tank: JagdPanther 2

Stock tank specs:
Posted Image
Upgrade tree:
Posted Image

Overview:
This is a pretty good vehicle out of the box. Mobility is bad, so is acceleration, but the gun… best Ferdinand gun is more than good enough on your way to the 128L61. When fully upgraded you represent an EXTREME class threat even to monsters such as the Maus and IS-7. It also becomes a valuable asset on the clan wars map. Do note, that even with all upgrades and a premium account, you probably won’t make a lot of money. Its completely possible to just come out even without a premium account.
Price: 3 550 000
Camouflage: Decent

Pros:
-Insane DPM and accuracy
-Good frontal armor
-Hull-down makes it near invulnerable
-Good stock gun
Cons:
-Weak side armor
-Mobility is nothing to write home about, though acceleration isn’t bad
-Its big… sometimes its actually good (imposing and lessens the enemy tank’s slope) but as a whole it’s a con

Designation:
1. Warrior Posted Image 2. Sniper Posted Image 3. Steel Wall Posted Image 4. Reaper Posted Image

Crew:
1. Commander Posted Image
2. Gunner Posted Image
3. Driver Posted Image
4. Radio Operator Posted Image
5. Loader Posted Image
6. Loader Posted Image

That’s a lot of crew members.  The good thing is that if they hit 1 loader, you still have 1 left so you have 50% the capabilities (if it was 1, it would be 0%) . As always try to get the crew from your Ferdinand.
I suggest you specialize your crew this way:
1. Repair Posted Image
2. Firefighting Posted Image
3. Camouflage Posted Image

I recommend this, because the JT still doesnt have such good camo. Its more of a stand against the enemy and shoot him dead TD. Fires aren't common, but they do happen.

Modules

Hull:
Armor scheme currently in use:
Spoiler                     
The hull is the same as the King Tiger with a superstructure boasting some impressive 250mm of armor. Basically JT is very hard to penetrate frontally, even for most tier 8 tanks. The citadel with 250mm of armor, when sloped can bounce every gun in the game.

Suspension:
JagdTiger-Standardketten / Max. capacity 77.4 / Turn speed 18 degrees per second
JagdTiger verstarkte Ketten / Max. capacity 79.8 / Turn speed 21 degrees per second
Get the better suspension ASAP! You dont need it to mount everything, but the mobility is worth it.

Engine:
Maybach HL 210 P 30 - 650 h.p - 20% chance of fire
Maybach HL 230 P 45 - 750 h.p - 20% chance of fire
Maybach HL 234 P 452 - 870 h.p - 20% chance of fire

Now the stock engine is bad. It gives you a power to weight ratio of 8.59. That’s bad and you will feel it. You may be able to mount the best engine if you had a go with the Tiger series (11,5 hp), or at least the 2nd best with Jagdpanther (9,91 hp).

Radio:
FuG 7 - 470m
FuG 12 - 810m
As always grab the radio last. You probably have it anyway from the Ferdi.

Guns:
128mmL55
Posted Image
A great starting gun. It can present itself as a big threat for Tier 8/9 tanks, but does have trouble fighting the Tier 10 tanks. Its accurate, fast firing, good damage and great offers overall DPM. Still, the best cannon really is better, so I recommend you get it fast.
128mmL61
Posted Image
This… turns the JT into a machine of epic sniping with brutal power. You can now engage IS-7 without thinking. Its possible to even penetrate IS-4 and US tank’s turrets ( you need a little luck on the penetration roll). Once you load APCR you now have the highest penetration value in the game (on a tank that is).

Proposed upgrade path:
1. Suspension
2. Second engine.
3. Best gun.
3. Best engine.
4. Radio.

Comparison with its peers
The only fair comparison here would be the JagdTiger vs another tier 9 TD.
JagdTiger vs Object 704
The JagdTiger has much better overall armor. The Object is the first heavily armored soviet TD, but its still less than the JagdTiger. 704 has a gun with a meaner punch, but is less accurate and with less DPM. The Object has better armor at the sides and the mantlet, and is also lower in profile, which is both a blessing and a curse.
In short:
Jagdtiger is better hull-down and at longer ranges.
Object is more vulnerable to arty.
Both have insane guns, but Object's gun 1-shots things better.
Jagdtiger better fights medium tanks and supports heavies such as the Maus thanks to the great RoF

JagdTiger vs T95
The T95 has a little less health and is much slower. Its RoF is even slower than the Object 704 making it incredibly easy to kill by medium tanks (JT can atleast put up a fight). Its low height makes it hard to hit by other tanks, but doesn't allow it a lot of room for hull-down, unlike JT (though a T30 can be used with a T95 for great effect).Its also very wide, cant maneuver and arty loves it, but its frontal armor is insane...
in short:
T95 can be used together with a Jtiger and a T30 to create a steel wall with guns
T95 is slow... slowest tank in the game
T95 has better armor
Jtiger has better mobility and a faster and more accurate gun

Historical JagdTiger in battle
http://statcdn.world...er_1024_768.jpg
It is unbeatable at long range. Almost no historical tanks can keep up with the insane armor.Its gun (128 L55) 1-shots most historical tanks and kills even the mighty IS tanks. Thank god its slower in historical battles... you can try and flank it. I am emphasizing on the "try" part.

Link to skins:
http://wotskins.word...oyer/jagdtiger/

Viper69 #2 Posted Jun 27 2011 - 14:33

Major

• Players
  • 5522 battles
Very nice read. I had the unfortunate case of running headlong into one of these in my VK3002DB in a narrow corridor with no opportunity to flank or withdraw. 4-75mm shows bouncing later I was promptly put out of my misery :). Impressive piece of semi-mobile death.

Steel_Viper #3 Posted Jun 27 2011 - 14:41

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5124 battles
  • [LB77] LB77
Nice post. Only thought is that while the camo may be better now than it was in earlier releases, after running some training battles with this and Object, the object is still the better on camo. And another note is that the Pershing with 100% camo crew can see you just about as soon as you can see it, when you are stationary and it is moving. So don't assume a bush in the open is safe at this tier, stick near rocks and buildings whenever possible.

Charcharo #4 Posted Jun 27 2011 - 16:25

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSteel_Viper, on Jun 27 2011 - 14:41, said:

Nice post. Only thought is that while the camo may be better now than it was in earlier releases, after running some training battles with this and Object, the object is still the better on camo. And another note is that the Pershing with 100% camo crew can see you just about as soon as you can see it, when you are stationary and it is moving. So don't assume a bush in the open is safe at this tier, stick near rocks and buildings whenever possible.
Of coarse object is more visible... its just weaker vs direct fire.

ahdan #5 Posted Jun 27 2011 - 18:22

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 6798 battles
Great topic, I really expect such a topic like RU forum. :Smile_great:

Bethrezen #6 Posted Jun 27 2011 - 18:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 11685 battles
  • [-ATR-] -ATR-
128mmL61 is nice but sometimes getting weird bounces. Another thing is, even with this gun, its hard to penetrate Maus  <_<

Mrshilka #7 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 10:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8699 battles
Wish I was using the Same Jagdtiger as this guy is descibing.

*Camo = still non existant, especialy witht he "new" spotting sytem its just as useless as always while the 704 can happly fire at targets 250m away and still remain invis.

*Armour = The true fact is its weak for this teir very weak, your upper hull is the same as a KT while the lower front hull is weaker then a KT. The upper 250mm part is good but people simply do not shoot you there and the BL10 will go though it most of the time like it was butter. People will aim for your lower hull all the time expect to lose your engine and or burn alot from shots to this area.

*Firepower = The L61 128mm gun is a stunning weapon yet ignore any idea of dpm or dps these terms mean nothing unless you have 2 tanks sitting both in the open just firing at each other with out any use of tactics. This gun is very accurate and the reload is good yet you will find your self at times wishing you did more damage at least closer to the massive damage done by the american and russian guns of this level. You also wonder why your rifled wweapon has a much lower pen value then the russian howitzer.

*Agility = The JT turns rather well with the final set of tracks and with the final engines its speed while not likely to win you any races (Unless your racing T95's!) is not so bad, you can easily keep up with your teams heavys.

In reguards to the Original poster a good stock gun is not a pro neither is the situational ability to go hull down and this does not have good frontal armour and as I stated above DPM means nothing in real wot games.

zephurus #8 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 18:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 3667 battles
I want to share the best tactic for the Jagdtiger that will guarantee you more wins overall:

1.Right click the Jagdtiger in your garage and press sell
2.Then go up the Russian TD line
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

Charcharo #9 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 18:42

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postzephurus, on Jul 10 2011 - 18:33, said:

I want to share the best tactic for the Jagdtiger that will guarantee you more wins overall:

1.Right click the Jagdtiger in your garage and press sell
2.Then go up the Russian TD line
3. ???
4. PROFIT!
The amount if stupidity in this post was amazing  :Smile_harp:
*Charcharo does not agree.

zephurus #10 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 19:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 3667 battles

View PostCharcharo, on Jul 10 2011 - 18:42, said:

The amount if stupidity in this post was amazing  :Smile_harp:
*Charcharo does not agree.

The amount of ignorance in that snarky reply was amazing. There is a reason why only T30s and Object 704s are used exclusively as TDs in Clan Wars (I cannot comment on the T95 as it is still too early). Against a well coordinated team in battles full of T9 and T10 tanks, the Jagdtiger is pretty much useless compared to the T30 and Object 704. Clan Matches focus on high alpha, high damage and high splash to destroy enemy tanks. All of its advantages such as high ROF and accuracy and "armor" are negated since strategies by the best clans focus on coordinated rushes focusing on close combat (within 300-400m) while high tier arty pick off stragglers at a distance. Also have fun hulling down, being in arty cover AND being at a distance where the Jagdtiger's accuracy is noticeable. I'll tell you now that you can only pick 1 or 2 of those choices if you're lucky.

Not only do the advantanges on paper of the Jagdtiger suffer in matches with top players, but the disadvantages of the Jagdtiger are exaggerated in these matches. The lack of camo means that the Jagdtiger will be spotted by any competent scout after one shot, or no shot. The slow speed makes the Jagdtiger less versatile as it cannot quickly reloate to another position as a strategy may need to be readjusted on the run. It also makes it an arty magnet as it is slower than previously mentioned tanks when it comes to changing position. Low penetration AP round (w/o gold) relative to the 704 will cause ricochets on T54s, Is7s and other tanks rushing up a hill.

A 704 in that position would maybe have caused a critical hit or tracked the tanks, offering arty a good opportunity to do serious damage to these tanks. Tier 9 and 10 tanks such as Is7s Is4s, Mice or T54s with their armor angled slightly causes ricochets due to a relative lack of high penetration which is extremely damning in top clan wars matches where every hit makes a big difference. This means that the whole team will suffer overall if the Jagdtiger is not always using gold rounds.

Even with all gold rounds, ricochets can still happen in a spot where parts of an enemy tanks are not exposed for maximum penetration (angled armor, only turret exposed, etc.). The Jagdtiger/T30/704 will be forced to use HE shells, where the 704 and T30 do more damage 750 compared to 560 (obviously not this full amount since penetration is not guaranteed).

Sure, the Jagdtiger might be good in random battles where it fights opponents that are lower tier and are less competent than some of the best players in clan wars. Why? Because they'll tend to shoot at the 250mm superstructure of the Jagdtiger and try to snipe at it from distances without using their brain and just flanking it. Not only that, a KV can penetrate the Jagdtiger's frontal armor so you still might have issues with bouncing off shots.

The gameplay of the Jagdtiger is random battles is completely different compared to its role in Clan Wars battles. In random battles, the Jagdtiger can be used on the front lines as it can face lower tier enemies head on and worry less about well coordinated arty and coordinated medium/IS7 flanking. Actually in random battles, if the player does not generally use the tank in front battles, the whole team will suffer overall as the higher tier tank on the other team, such as an IS4, will completely obliterate your team before any enemies can come into your sights (SO DON'T CAMP!). The high RPM does help but an equally skilled 704 driver can 1 hit your teammates and also has a higher chance of staying hidden. The Jagdtiger does have high armor and high RPM so I think overall the Jagdtiger and 704 are more or less even in random battles.The Jagdtiger looks good in paper but suffers in Clan Wars matches as it is not practical at all.

Although I like my Jagdtiger there is no real advantage the Jagdtiger has in games against well coordinated players. Sure, you'll get games where you can kill 8 tanks in a row in a random battle.If you're looking to play a tank in highly competitive clan wars matches, don't grind the Jagdtiger as any good clan will only use the tanks that are favorable in the current metagame. The metagame itself is shaped by strategies but more by the statistics and balance of tanks and the cost-benefits of having say, an extra T30 or 704 or even an extra T54, IS-7 or T92 over a Jagdtiger.

Charcharo #11 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 19:08

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postzephurus, on Jul 10 2011 - 19:00, said:

Clan Wars favors different tactics according to the map and actual team. Object 704 currently can only be used as an ambush TD (good camo), because all it can do, T30 can do better. Jtiger allows you to use something no other T10 heavy can, THE most accurate god-tank gun, THE most penetrating weapon in the game + the ability to go hull-down and a good DPM. With support, a favored map, the cover and actual strategy JTiger can be more useful than both your 704 and T30
BTW object 704 is easier for arty
N.B not all maps are good for arty

Gryphius #12 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 20:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6138 battles
For the record, JTiger penetration is actually lower than BL-10 pen. If I recall it's 276 vs 286.

Charcharo #13 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 20:49

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostGryphius, on Jul 10 2011 - 20:03, said:

For the record, JTiger penetration is actually lower than BL-10 pen. If I recall it's 276 vs 286.
Uhhh not really. JTiger with gold ammo is 352 mm of penetration, whilst object is only 329.
Im bringing this up cause clans use gold ammo, and JT has the best non-arty penetrating gun.

Mrshilka #14 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 20:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8699 battles

In my Post as yet unreplyed to I do point this out less pen AND hundreds less damage for a reload bonus and awesome accuracy sounds great if you know no one says fires and then hides during there reload or if engagements  happened over 300+ metres offen.

I also agree Random battles has little to compare with the clan battles, I am unable due to living in an Aussie time zone to commit to a clan and thus clan battles but I know there is no way I could acheive my current 3 to 1 kill ratio in a JT if I was.

its IS an excellent tank but you have to work so much harder and rely on people being illinformed of your tanks weakness's and hope to god that your not shot with gold ammo thats is now flooding random battles en mass as clans become flush with free gold.

When you have to use every once of skill and luck to equal your peers  playing  in a average manner thats is a problem.

Edit: in reply to gold round ussage 330 pen from a gold round will pen anything in the game minus say the T95 mantlet but since that somewhere close to 500mm all up the extra 30mm pen from a JT not gonna do much, and the 704  will dliver that 330 pen round with a helpfull lashing of 750 or so damage.

Battlecruiser #15 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 23:50

Major

• Players
  • 18584 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
don't sit in cover with the jagdtiger, because against russian tanks and td's they will see you before you can see them when they are on the move. for some reason cover reverses its effects for this tank

zephurus #16 Posted Jul 12 2011 - 03:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 3667 battles

View PostBattlecruiser, on Jul 11 2011 - 23:50, said:

don't sit in cover with the jagdtiger, because against russian tanks and td's they will see you before you can see them when they are on the move. for some reason cover reverses its effects for this tank

Well, I'm not sure about the camo values now but earlier the camo values for the object 704 while moving was 6x more than the Jagdtiger in a bush. Basically that meant that a moving object 704 was 6x more camouflaged than a Jagdtiger in a bush.

kiwinugget #17 Posted Jul 13 2011 - 02:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13757 battles
  • [-GSG-] -GSG-
I love this tank!!!!!  I only got this TD 3 nights ago and I always get 2+ kills each game. I like it.

Gyarados #18 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 01:03

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 12382 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

That's how it is for a lot of the German v Soviet guns, the Germans have the fire rate and the accuracy while they have the penetration and the damage...which I find unfair because this game rewards high alpha, not high DPM. The JT's gun could be a fantastic weapon, if it either wasn't on the JT or the JT had more armor.

View PostCharcharo, on Jul 10 2011 - 20:49, said:

Uhhh not really. JTiger with gold ammo is 352 mm of penetration, whilst object is only 329.
Im bringing this up cause clans use gold ammo, and JT has the best non-arty penetrating gun.
That is a matter of opinion, whether or no the L/61 is better than the BL-10. I'm not sure how many clans realistically use APCR, I'm sure some (even a great majority) do, but that won't save you from the fact that people know the JT is not a tank to be feared with it's currently weak armor.

PROACEX1 #19 Posted Jul 15 2011 - 10:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6545 battles
  • [-BZ-] -BZ-
JT is sadly considered a joke in clan wars, much like an Obj. 704, in clan battles. Realistically, a 130mm on an IS-4 and IS-7 are the main damage dealers, the T30's gun with gold is the main destroyer, and a Maus with gold can take out and pen. just about anything. Obviously, this is all ignoring artillery as the main damage dealing force of the game, and most units just spot for em; but artillery being as OP as it is now is going to be one of the key factors in most battles (negating out unfavorable maps such as Himmelsdorf).
All the while, mediums can wolf pack and own most tanks pretty easily, especially with a T-54 using gold ammo up close and a Patton with gold ammo for mid-range support. Panther II's are typically just as much of a joke in clan wars as a JT because of the fail armor and relatively lacking gun. I've tried enough clan battles in my JT to know I personally get laughed at, while in random battles I can straight up own with the JT.
The fail frontal armor of a JT, fail fire rate of an Obj. 704 and easy penetration by arty, and the absolute fail mobility of a T95 negate using TDs outright in clan wars; especially with a hulled down T30 replacing TD roles when ya get right down to it. Glad it is eventually becoming a TD at least to make the role official.
Respectfully,
PROACEX1

eMax #20 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 16:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 25890 battles
Guys - first of all I love JagdTiger. It's awesome.

I gotta question : yesterday I was battling another JT and somehow he set me on fire, from the front. Where is the engine in JT and how can I protect it better?

PS. When he set me on fire from front my jaw dropped. :)