34 replies to this topic

Battery_Overlord #1 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 01:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15032 battles

WORLD OF TANKS

Artillery Guide (UPDATE IN THE WORKS)

By: Roe

So you’re a player who decided to start a SPG line?

Then I hope you have fun, but before you start you should best know what your getting into first. Arty is an Indirect Firing vehicle that tends to frustrate quite a few players. Your main keys that you will be using will be Shift

and X. What Shift does is allows you to access your what I call Bird Eye’s View. It’s a top down view that allows you to view your targets. Another view is a PoV mod (Battle Assistant) which is accessed by what ever’s assigned.

(Pictures examples below)

Bird Eye View

PoV Mod (Battle Assistant)

So Which SPG line do you plan on picking?

American

French

British

German

Russian

So which line?

I have all the artillery lines in my garage but not the tier 10s. Which is the better line you argue? Its all player preference, play them all I say. If you do, you know how to best counter them when you play regular tanks.

Things to know about your artillery

The Bloom – The bloom is the area in which the shell lands. You can see it on the Bird Eye View example. Its those dots around the tank.

Your speed - When to move locations and when to stay and get that free shot to hopefully prolong your life.

TD Mode – When you attempt a Direct fire and it’s a more defensive strategy and you get 1 shot at least, depends on your SPG. Will go more into this later.

Your Gun/Range – Know the range of your gun, when the bloom centers you know your about half way, when its more longer your at the end. Know also your gun for the matter of damage and effectiveness. If you plan on shooting a low health target and your team is already going for him, save the shot as the reload can be a pain but if they ignore him, knock him out.

Holding Right Mouse Button – Holds your bloom location where your looking allowing you to look around. Releasing the R MB brings the bloom to your current location unless your Hull Locked. Useful for counter battery.

Aiming (The Bloom)

So your aiming right and you see that red line in such as the one in the image shown (see example below), that means something is blocking your target so go  where it starts and try to adjust from there, if it a structure and there’s windows, try to play with it some to see if you can get the line green. Just remember your chance isn’t 100% of hitting it so don’t immediately think you got him/her. on to the bloom shape. When you need to move the bloom make sure you do so slowly so it doesn’t grow.

Example

Aiming Shapes

Circle-like

Oval-like

Target bigger then bloom

Leading the target

If it’s a moving target remember to lead them, this may be before you shoot so try to lead by 1-4 seconds depending on the distance to the target (Shell travel time) and your shell arc. You also have to account in the movement speed of the enemy player as well especially if it’s a light tank. Faster targets will need more of a lead.

TD Mode

TD mode is where it all gets up close and personal. When this happens try to have an AP shell loaded (SU-14-1/S-51, G.W. Tiger P. etc.) AP is artillery is powerful and depending on the health if it pens it will always be a one hit. If you have a longer reload make sure your aware of the map and where players are. If your in a fast tank this can be quite fun. (FV304, AMX 13 F3, etc.) Careful though because depending on the arc, you may shoot right over them (With the exception of German and French Artillery). When it does get up close, try to center your gun and be aware you may not have the time to aim so hope for the best and fire. Sometimes though you do and when you get the chance go for it. Careful of the enemy arty though, they may try to smack you.

PLEASE NOTE:

Counter Battery

BOOM! You died by the other artillery. “How I wasn’t spotted!” Ahhh but who says you need to be. Artillery can see the tracers of the enemy arty if they watch close enough. Aim a tad behind it, now much and hope your correct, if you do get a hit, you saved your team from a lot of potential damage. What if you’re the one being countered? Move after your shots, pull forward, move backward, or change areas to throw them off. Games of 3+ artillery and countering one or two can really make a difference. This is a more advanced skill as it requires more knowledge of the maps. Another note is that the higher the caliber the more likely your going to see the tracer, ammo type also effects tracer visibility. French arty are also high velocity so its going to be difficult to notice their tracers.

Example

Crew & Crew Skills

For the crew you may think the basic crew for free is fine, don’t think about it. Get the 75% crew, they allow better bonuses and greater effectiveness through out the battle. Some of these benefits include greater reload speeds and decreased time to sight in on a target. When you go to proceed to the next tank, keep your crew and retrain them, it’s a big help in the end factor. Accuracy becomes a lot more reliable around 90%

**Please Note:**

Equipment

Common equipment used on arty are…

1. Camo Nets: Increase your camo values. Decreases chances of being spotted. Costs 100k, transferable without gold.

2. Shell Rammer: Decreases loading time by 10%. Makes a big difference to longer reloads. Costs 300-500k, transferable with 10 gold.

3. Enhanced Gun Laying Drive: 10% reduction to your aim time, useful for aiming quicker after moving and on long aim times. Costs 500k, transferable with 10 gold.

4. Vents: Only useful on tanks that are non-open hulled. Grants a 5% increase to tank crew members all around. Costs 50-150-600k, transferable with gold.

5. Binocular Telescope:  Increases your view range by 20% while you sit still. Costs 500k, transferable without gold.

Consumables

Use a small repair kit, small first aid kit, and fire extinguisher as the common picks.

First Aid is the first slot (Key 4) – Easy recovery for driver

Repair Kit is the Second (Key 5) – Easy track repair

Fire Extinguisher is the third (Key 6)

Use this set up for all tanks as basics unless you have a better one.

Use the premium food for higher tier arty as it gives you an all around 10% bonus. Decreases your aim time and reload time.

Map Location

It all depends on what you prefer just remember that you may be in the open and able for all eyes to see, I like to be by water but that’s just me. In city maps you can watch alleys and depending on your arc clear buildings and hit targets. When your team as successfully cleared an area don’t be afraid to move up and get better shots. When the need to relocate comes basically run the opposite direction the enemy is coming and try to get near your allies. French SPGs are great at the at around tier 6+ and the FV304 is even better.

For the record: Don’t drown  in arty as you can still try to pull of a kill or two

Ammunition

What shell to use… hmmm. Well when you're in the garage take a peak at the stats of each shell.

HE gets great potential damage and the splash can be very fun to play with, allowed to miss by x amount of meters (X is the splash)

AP gets greater pen. but less damage can occasionally one hit depending on HP and can bounce depending on the target. I try to carry at most 3 for TD mode. HEAT almost functions the same but with better splash. In higher tiers its not as advisable. The PoV mod is great when firing AP, helps with the angles.

Gold HE is the same as your regular HE EXCEPT you get higher splash.

Reminders

1. Shift – Access your special mode for arty.
2. X – Locks your hull and prevents you from moving out of your gun traverse.
3. R MB – Keeps your bloom in specified location and allows you to look around. When you need to move your tank, (turning, etc.) If you lock the bloom with R MB and turn it helps keep your bloom small.
4. Keep track of where your team is.
5. Where your location is.
6. Your ammunition.
7. Remember to communicate your reload (F8) and who your attacking (T).

END.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully this helps you out now and possibly in the future and if you have any questions shot me a message or PM me in game.
Hope to see you all in the battlefield!

Disclaimer

Xeraux #2 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 01:12

Major

• Players
  • 25067 battles
  • [INTEL] INTEL

All we need right now is more educated artillery players....

Good guide, though.

Deathlok #3 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 01:17

Captain

• Players
  • 28422 battles
:trollface: arty for the win... :arta::arta::arta:

roughalloy #4 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 01:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23826 battles
Good job and I do believe you need to enter the Wargaming Officer Academy contest.

Arkiehawgz21 #5 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 01:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 6777 battles
very well done roe im impressed

37h #6 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 01:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9703 battles

[Content Moderated - Insults]
--Rhonico

CEMKu_ECTb #7 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 01:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 20589 battles
  • [Y0UJ0] Y0UJ0

[content moderated - non-constructive / promotion of EULA violation ]
~PrimordialSlime

Punisher_Main #8 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 01:41

Private

• -Players-
  • 30513 battles
  • [QUACK] QUACK

I would like to offer you some constructive criticism like "Can you kill yourself pls" without the punctuation, or, "go drown yourself",  but instead I will say, nice job man.

Edited by Punisher_Main, Jul 21 2015 - 01:41.

LemmingRush #9 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 01:41

Major

• Players
  • 15944 battles

Perfect! 

THOSE CAMPERS WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT HIT EM

warchief_1 #10 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 01:48

Private

• Players
  • 5702 battles
Great Post bro!!!!!  I don't always play arty but now when I do I know what the hell is going on.  Good info, thanks!

littleleopard12 #11 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 02:06

Captain

• Players
  • 12134 battles
  • [4HIM2] 4HIM2

well done!

Red_Ensign #12 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 02:17

Major

• Players
  • 7328 battles

looks good - bookmarking

+1

zaffreaqua #13 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 02:20

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7181 battles

Nicely written guide for the newbies.  Very detailed guide.  Great for those who are using Arty in CW, want to get a Bert, or just goof off in mid tier arty. 

Of course I knew this all already. (I found my way without any real guide.  Just common sense and curiousity. :trollface:)  But extremely detailed.  So +1 for you!

EPICANDY0131 #14 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 02:31

Major

• Players
  • 39233 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE

FoV view is a mod right?

Where can I find this....

Deathlok #15 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 03:03

Captain

• Players
  • 28422 battles

View PostEPICANDY0131, on Jul 20 2015 - 20:31, said:

FoV view is a mod right?

Where can I find this....

yes it's a mod called "Battle Assistant" and if I recall correctly it won 1st place in a Wargaming's mod contest. :)

http://worldof-tanks.com/battle-assistant-best-modification/

Battery_Overlord #16 Posted Jul 21 2015 - 16:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15032 battles
*Added link to Battle Assistant in the guide under the PoV example.

37h #17 Posted Jul 22 2015 - 14:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9703 battles

AOD neg spams shojo

gets mapped in 12 hours

Battery_Overlord #18 Posted Aug 21 2015 - 20:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15032 battles
Due to the current LeFH sales on WoT premium store, I bumped this in case anyone new to arty gets one.

Dion__0_0ll #19 Posted Nov 08 2015 - 00:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20732 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
thanks

Tahkep_Kristof #20 Posted Dec 03 2015 - 02:30

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7424 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN

Just read this 20 minutes ago and just put it to use.  WOW!!  Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users