Game Mechanic Suggestion- a few ways to reward aggression

potato_factory

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Mikosah #1 Posted Sep 04 2015 - 01:51

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

First of all let me be clear, this suggestion is only made with theory in mind. How seriously I'm actually pitching it will remain debatable. Just some random thoughts to bounce around a little. And no, I didn't expect that the aesthetics of it will be perfectly smooth. Bear with me.

As for what I'm actually going to pitch here, consider the overall atmosphere that we experience in the randoms. You want to be deliberate and tactical, but for that you need information to work with. But getting close to the front to see what's going on is a risky move, very easy to get spotted yourself and possibly even taken out right on the spot. Even if you do light some enemies in the process, odds are your team might not have been paying close enough attention to get any shots off. If you do get badly damaged in the process, then you won't be able to continue front-line work.

And on the flipside, let's say you were playing a support role in the first place. You depend on others being up ahead of you, doing their thing. If they bail out on you then your role has then been completely shut down as well. The enemy however is then put into a similar position, they may not realize that they have the opportunity to advance, they'll likely assume that if they dare move out of cover then they'll be destroyed in turn. The camping wars begin.

And who can blame players for doing this? Gathering information is a risky and thankless role that could well lead to complete disaster without any reward at all. Damaged tanks are put in a position where shifting to a defensive support role is the only move that makes sense. And in a situation where everyone wants to be defensive and aggression is a massive risk, camping is inevitable. What's more, consider just how cooperation and teamwork go right out the window when its in no one's interest to make the first move. And how much of a betrayal it is to spend hit points securing one flank only to see the other fall and being unable to do anything about it.

So, what could possibly change this situation? What sort of mechanic could alleviate the risks of (calculated) aggression and therefore make the overall gameplay experience more dynamic? My suggestion is as follows: allow vehicles to slowly regain lost hit points in accordance to how much assistance points they've earned in that battle.

Whoa, wait a minute, did he just say 'assist points'? Yes, I did. I did warn you earlier that the aesthetics of the idea might not be so slick (call it 'inspired morale' or whatever). Anyone who gets assist points will be able to regain health because the crew's morale will be raised. As for the specific rules, let's say for time being that the amount of health you regain will be your assist amount divided by two. Typical situation, a scout spots an enemy who then takes 1000 damage. Said scout (if already damaged) will then regain lost hit points at 5 HP per second until 500 hit points are given to him. Here's the catches. 1- If he's already at full health (or returns to full health), those extra hit points aren't given to him at all, nothing happens. 2- Those hit points go into damaged modules and crew before any are applied to the vehicle's hit points. And 3- taking damage in the meantime interrupts this process for 15 seconds from the most recent hit.

So why is it based on assist points of all things? Reason one is that playing the spotter may earn experience and credits, but during actual gameplay this incentive has no immediate appeal at all. In relation to the goals of dealing damage and winning the match, I'll repeat the point that it is a massive risk with a massive need for cooperation to yield any reward in the first place. Often simply not worth the time and effort. Reason two, the obvious thought was to base it off damage dealt, but then you have the problem that snipers in the back are given incentive to stay passive and defensive. Make it work from assists instead and the guy up front who's actually taking risks gains extra longevity to keep the game in motion. Reason three is that if assists are made that much more advantageous, overall teamwork will be less of an alien concept. The guy up front will be that much more motivated to stick his neck out to benefit both himself and his support as well.

The immediate ramifications in gameplay would of course have to be tested first. Still, I'm confident that it would be difficult to abuse assists of all things. And naturally the numbers could always be tweaked as necessary. In any case my expectation is that encouraging assist points would be encouraging of many other positive traits from WoT players. And besides that, such a mechanic would allow any given player to take risks early on, spend hit points, get work done, and not be relegated to a passive role afterward because of it. Suicidal players are still going to die horribly even if they earn lots of assist points. They'll take hits, get their regen interrupted, and then die. Light tanks have few hit points to begin with so the amount of abuse they can withstand will remain limited regardless of what happens.

And don't forget that this recovery gets channeled into modules first- just a little bit of extra comfort for situations where a stray shot happens to nick your gun barrel. A possible problem that may arise is ammo running short from more hit points being in the field. But if defensive consumables are less mandatory then that opens up the possibility for a new consumable 'reserve ammunition' or something like that to fill the gap. Self explanatory.

There's another possible complication that more durability overall may strain time limits, but my answer to that is that first of all, assist points earned will likely favor the sorts of tanks that act aggressively and help to shorten matches rather than prolong them. Second of all, the overall number assists that happen in the first place isn't so terribly massive. Besides all that, the need for better tie-breaking rules are an issue that's been worth mentioning by itself. I still lean towards simply awarding the win to whichever team has a larger portion of an ongoing base capture in progress, just to throw that out there.

TL: DR

Slowly trickle in hit points to tanks that earned assist points. This encourages teamwork and reduces the risks of working right up at the front lines. Also gives more utility to passive scouting.

_Hector__ #2 Posted Sep 04 2015 - 02:04

Major

• Players
  • 39992 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
TLDR

Urdr #3 Posted Sep 04 2015 - 02:13

Major

• Players
  • 49467 battles

Omgosh, is not just boring ... is a bad joke too

I cant even read it ...

o/

diesel__1 #4 Posted Sep 04 2015 - 02:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 8095 battles
For those that can't read something that long or have trouble understanding something......this is not a real bad idea.  Not sure the programing required to have it come to play but I like the idea.  Like everytime that assistance to ally flag shows up, it gives you some HP back.  NOW you will get players wanting to HELP their team, or in the least......do more to get HP back. For all those that want players to play as a team, this would work.  An initiative that would promote play. 

Herr_Reitz #5 Posted Sep 04 2015 - 02:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7770 battles

Yup... interesting...

What if you are at full HP... do you get to pour those assist points into a reserve? 

diesel__1 #6 Posted Sep 04 2015 - 03:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 8095 battles

View PostHerr_Reitz, on Sep 03 2015 - 17:58, said:

Yup... interesting...

What if you are at full HP... do you get to pour those assist points into a reserve? 

Why not?  This idea would be a plus to the team work factor of this game.

Mikosah #7 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 01:22

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

View PostHerr_Reitz, on Sep 03 2015 - 19:58, said:

Yup... interesting...

I did actually cover that in the post.

"Here's the catches. 1- If he's already at full health (or returns to full health), those extra hit points aren't given to him at all, nothing happens. 2- Those hit points go into damaged modules and crew before any are applied to the vehicle's hit points. And 3- taking damage in the meantime interrupts this process for 15 seconds from the most recent hit."

iAmEbola #8 Posted Jun 21 2016 - 15:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 12477 battles
I could see this being a buff mechanic to Scout tanks so that they can continue being active and helpful.

Also tagged with potato_factory

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users