★ Charioteer Review: The Scout with an Orbital Laser Cannon ★

Charioteer Review Tier 8 Tank Destroyer Scout Medium Scorpiany Scorp Scouting Sniping

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Scorpiany #1 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:25

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 30256 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

Which vehicle has the camo of a light tank, mobility of a medium and a gun which even makes Tier 10 mediums jealous? None other than the Charioteer, your ride to victory!

In this guide, I shall cover all of the various Pros and Cons of the Charioteer, explain the gun and equipment choices, give you a general overview of its gameplay style and compare it to other Tier 8 TD's. Let's get started, shall we?

Table of Contents:

• General overview (Pros and Cons)
  • Equipment, ammo and consumable layout
  • Gun performance
  • Armor layout
  • Gameplay style
  • Comparison to other same-class tanks of its Tier
  • Overall Rating

General Overview (Basically a TL;DR of the rest of the guide):

Pros:

Very good camouflage values makes it effective at ambushing tanks

Incredible penetration with its standard shells... It's even better than most Tier 10 medium tanks!

Very mobile vehicle, with a great HP/ton and very solid top speed / reverse speed limits

Surprisngly quick to turn for a Tank Destroyer; driving it feels more like a medium than a TD

Very good gun handling when turning the turret. If you're sitting still, it rarely has to re-aim

Fully traversable turret - Further making the vehicle feel like a up-gunned medium

Incredible shell velocity of 1,478 m/s - One of the highest values in the game. Even the HESH and HE shells are very fast flying, at 1,173 m/s.

Almost no penetration loss over distance. It only drops by 10mm at 500m, which is spectacular.

★ Great gun depression of 10 degrees. Only the Swedish TD's will be more flexible over ridges!

Neutrals:

Alright accuracy of 0.35m. The tank highly benefits from crew skills & food, but it still feels like a proper sniper

Lowish alpha damage for a TD, of only 390.

Gets 210 pen HESH as Premium, instead of a higher pen Premium shell. This can work both for and against you, so I'm marking it down as a neutral

Average DPM of 2,319. It's certainly not bad, but it's far from a rapid assassination either.

Cons:

Θ Rather lengthy aiming time after you move, due to a mediocre aim time of 2.4 seconds and rather poor gun handling stats

Θ Very thin armor and only 1,050 HP means that you can easily be destroyed if you're out of position

Θ Gun elevation is very limited at only 12 degrees, so be careful if the enemy is above you

Θ Limited ammo capacity of 30 shells. While this isn't an issue in most battles, you can run very low in more intense carries

Gun Reliability amiqh7i.png The Charioteer's gun handling may be poor, but once you let the gun aim in, it becomes a pin-point sniper.
Frontal Armor amiqh7i.png Armor? I'm confused.
Overall Armor dVUMD7l.png No seriously, what is this armor you speak of?
Survivability dVUMD7l.png I still don't understand what this armor stuff is, but with only 1,050 hit points, you won't be surviving for very long.
Flexibility dVUMD7l.png A fully traversable turret on a mobile platform with 10 degrees of gun depression makes this one of the most flexible Tank Destroyers in the game.
Mobility amiqh7i.png The Charioteer is definitely a fast vehicle. While it's not quite as mobile as a CDA or a UDES, it's certainly not too far behind either.
Agility amiqh7i.png The traverse speeds on the Charioteer are surprisngly good, and while there are more nimble vehicles out there, the Charioteer can pull off some moves of its own too.
Fear Factor amiqh7i.png The Charioteer's 390 alpha damage is far from scary, but the flexibility of the platform will still bring some questions into people's minds about whether they should engage you or not.
Short-Term Impact amiqh7i.png The mediocre DPM and 390 alpha damage won't change the outcome of a flank very quickly, and without any armor to lead a push, it's not going to transform the pace of a flank on its own.
Long-Term Influence amiqh7i.png Throughout the battle however, the Charioteer is the perfect platform to remain in the fight and to pick off your opponents one by one, regardless of what your allies are doing.
Carry Potential amiqh7i.png The Charioteer is very competent of carrying a battle on its own with some creative and intelligent positioning. It's very flexible, and fully capable of doing its own thing regardless of the team.
Profitability amiqh7i.png 1k Credits per shell, with poor gun handling isn't great for profitability. Add on the fact that the HESH shells are quite expensive for little extra damage, and this is far from a profitable vehicle to play.

Equipment:

Gun Rammer (Recommended)If you can mount a Gun Rammer, you should. Charioteer is no exception.

Gun Laying Drive (Recommended): The Charioteer's poor gun handling and poor base aiming time result in the aim time being one the most prominent drawbacks of the vehicle. A Gun Laying Drive can really help alleviate this issue.

Binoculars (Recommended): 370m View Range isn't quite great enough to rock Optics, so I would personally use Binoculars to be able to really out-spot your opponents.

Coated Optics: On the other hand of the coin however, if you're more about moving around throughout the battle, Optics can still work out. It's a matter of preference.

Improved Ventilation: I would avoid mounting Vents, as they're generally overrated. Whilst it is true that they improve many characterstics of a tank, they have such a small impact in each area that it rarely actually makes a difference in battle. In contrast, a piece of equipment that improves a single characteristic by 10%, is much more likely to see a noticeable impact in a match. That being said, if you're not a fan of Gun Laying Drives, then Vents could be an option (Although even then, I'd rather use Optics and Binocs, if you want to drop the Gun Laying Drive).

Ammo:

My ammo layout on the Charioteer is 25 APCR, 5 HESH.

The Charioteer's Premium ammo is HESH, which is rather situational. Seeing how the Premium HESH shells are just higher penetration versions of the standard HE, I would take 5 of the Premium variants and leave the standard version behind. The rest should be filled up by the tank's APCR shells.

Consumables:

Small First Aid Kit (Recommended): Crew deaths happen. Don't risk it.

Small Repair Kit (Recommended): While the Charioteer does have a turret, is certainly doesn't have any armor and can get ammo racked / tracked easily. Run a Repair Kit.

Pudding & Tea (Recommended)The Charioteer's gun handling and aiming time, combined with the average accuracy are the primary drawbacks of the vehicle. If you can improve these by using Pudding & Tea, you should.

Fire Extinguisher: The Charioteer doesn't get set on fire very often, since most penetrating hits either go in through the turret, or the front of the hull. Regardless, if you don't have the Credits to spare for Pudding & Tea, or you simply don't want to risk burning to a crisp, then a Fire Extinguisher will do just fine.

105 Octane Gas: The Charioteer is already pretty mobile, but enhancing the mobility even further while also increasing the turret traverse speeds can help the tank utilize two of its key strengths even further.

Guns:

The Charioteer is certainly an interesting vehicle, with a gun that up until recently did not have any competition quite like it. However, with the introduction of the AMX CDA, it now has something to be compared to.

Below, I've compared the Charioteer's gun to the recently added Frenchy. On the left is the Charioteer's cannon, on the right is the AMX CDA's gun. A blue value is superior, whilst a green value is relatively tied (Within 5% of the other value). (Please note that all values are "stock", prior to any equipment mounting)

Guns: Charioteer (105mm) AMX CDA (105mm)
Rate of Fire: 6.20 5.44

Aiming Time:

2.30 1.92
Accuracy: .34 .29
DPM: 2,416.12 2,121.99
Penetration: 268/210/105 260/310/53
Damage: 390/480/480 390/390/480
Shell Velocity: 1,478/1,173/1,173 1,525/1,000/700
Soft Stats: .27/.27/.10 .21/.21/.10
Gun Angles: -10/+12 -8/+20
Ammo Capacity: 30 40

The verdict? The Charioteer will have a distinct advantage with its DPM and gun depression, but falls significantly behind in accuracy, aiming time and gun handling.

The Premium ammo on the Charioteer is an interesting choice, allowing you to further amplify your DPM advantage if you're in a position to use it, but will also be greatly insufficient against vehicles such as the Type 5 Heavy, leaving you to hope you can position well enough to penetrate with your (very nice) standard APCR shells.

Overall, I'd say that the AMX CDA has a slightly better gun, but the Charioteer's gun is still a kicka*s cannon without a shadow of a doubt.

How to play it:

The Charioteer is a great support tank and sniper, doing wonders when it's able to use its mobility to relocate into sneaky positions. Once in a good spot, it can use its great camo and gun to begin picking away at opposing vehicles.

On the other hand, because the tank is so mobile and has a turret, you're able to play up-close if needed as well, still providing support to your allies, and harassing unsuspecting enemy vehicles. You're also able to use this mobility & turret advantage in order to go flanking other Tank Destroyers... Does this make the Charioteer a Tank Destroyer-Destroyer? Essentially, it can embrace the role of a medium tank if it's necessary.

The recently buffed gun depression lets this tank get creative with ridgelines now too. Whether you want to set up ambush shots, spot from cheeky positions or just provide other kinds of support to your allies, you now have the flexibility with the gun to do so.

Comparison to same-Tier Tank Destroyers:

HP: Very Bad.

1,050 HP is extremely low, and while not quite at the bottom, it's still near the low-end. This isn't surprising, considering the Charioteer has no armor to speak of.

Armor: Very Bad.

I still have no evidence that this "armor" thing even exists in the first place, but apparently the Rhm and Skorpion G manage to have less of it, so the Charioteer isn't quite at the bottom here. Nonetheless, you shouldn't expect to bounce any shells, ever.

Mobility: Good.

The Charioteer may not be a KanonenePanzer or a UDES, but it's still very reasonably mobile. It's fun to drive around and relocate because of this.

DPM: Good.

The 2.4k DPM of the Charioteer isn't nearly as impressive as it once was, with many vehicles having higher values. However, in comparison to other Tier 8 TD's, it's still above average.

Penetration: Very Good.

268mm of standard APCR penetration is at the very top now that the ISU-152 was nerfed, although it doesn't quite reach the Strv S1's and UDES 03's levels of pen. Do keep in mind that the Premium ammo has less pen than the standard shells, despite having amazing pen for HE / HESH.

Alpha damage: Bad.

390 alpha damage is on the bottom end of Tank Destroyers, with only 3 TD's having less.

Aiming SpeedVery bad.

A 2.4 second aim time is quite lengthy, and does make a Gun Laying Drive very appealing to use.

Gun Handling: Very bad.

The Charioteer's gun handling is pretty tragic, which makes the aiming time noticeabley worse than it otherwise would be.

Accuracy: Average.

The Charioteer's accuracy isn't nearly as good as it once was for a TD, with Swedish TD's, the CDA and other such vehicles taking the crown. Regardless, .34 isn't a bad value, and can't be scoffed at either.

Shell Velocity: Very Good.

The Charioteer may not be the crown holder of shell velocity at Tier 8, with the AMX CDA taking that spot, but it still is at the very top, with shell velocity that would make most Tier 10 medium tanks very happy.

View Range: Good.

370m View Range isn't at the top, but is still a reasonable value that can let the Charioteer spot for itself with some proper equipment.

Camo Value: Good.

The Charioteer has once again been dethroned compared to its position in the game 2 years ago in regards to camo value, but it remains a very stealthy hunter nonetheless.

Battle effectiveness: Best in Class.

Despite the changes to the game since the Charioteer has been introduced, the Charioteer remains one of the best Tank Destroyers for carrying battles in the game. The recent buffs to gun depression has only helped it secure this role for keeps.

Overall Rating:

10/10 (Perfect - Bias levels achieved!)

The Charioteer is an absolute pleasure to play, and despite 3 years of powercreep in the game since it was introduced, it remains at the absolute top of Tier 8 tanks; not just Tank Destroyers.

It is one of the most carry-capable vehicles in the hands of a good player, and can do absolutely amazing things in the battle.

The recent doubling of its gun depression from 5 degrees to 10 degrees, has secured its place at the very top for as long as the eye can see. It remains one of the most enjoyable Tier 8 vehicles to play, especially in the new harsh MM environment. The Charioteer is one of the few vehicles that manages to pull through, and remain successful in battle.

Thanks for reading! I hope this guide was helpful! I genuinely wish all of you the very best of luck and fun, both in real life and on the battlefield.

(The Charioteer sitting gracefully above the Fjords.)

Edited by Scorpiany, Nov 08 2017 - 03:49.

WAWps4 #2 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:33

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6060 battles
Basically, this tank is not for your average pub. Rule of thumb is if you're not good at this game drive more armored tanks, the better you are the less you rely on armor. 

Edited by _Transporter_, Sep 05 2015 - 00:34.

_Direwolf #3 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:34

Major

• Players
  • 11554 battles
  • [MAHOV] MAHOV

wow great read scorp, I was interested in this tank before but you make me want to pick it up even more now.

just curious, what other tanks do you have in the garage that you would give a 9/10 rating too if this is a 10/10?

Cruxdei #4 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:34

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14421 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F
absolutely amazing, now i have more reasons  to grind the chariotter line and STOP at the conway

Pyr0freak #5 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11632 battles
  • [LABS] LABS
wew lad

Canoodian #6 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 41606 battles
Youre almost convincing me to free exp this even though I have no intentions of getting the 4005 ever.

Scorpiany #7 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:40

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 30256 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostCory123125, on Sep 04 2015 - 16:37, said:

Youre almost convincing me to free exp this even though I have no intentions of getting the 4005 ever.

Originally when the Charioteer came out, I had just put it on my "To Do list" of tanks to grind to. However, after watching quite a few replays of the Charioteer in action and taking a closer look at its stats, I decided to Free XP it as soon as I got some more tourney Gold. 15,000 Gold spent later (Free XP, Credits, Crew and Camo), and a fully upgraded Charioteer was waiting in my Garage. :rolleyes:

I have not regretted a thing. It's easily taking a spot in my "Top 3 favorite tanks". The tank is entirely worth it in my opinion.

Edited by Scorpiany, Sep 05 2015 - 00:45.

Cruxdei #8 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14421 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

View PostScorpiany, on Sep 04 2015 - 23:40, said:

Originally when the Charioteer came out, I had just put it on my "To Do list" of tanks to grind to. However, after watching quite a few replays of the Charioteer in action and taking a closer look at its stats, I decided to Free XP it as soon as I got some more tourney Gold. 15,000 Gold spent later (Free XP, Credits, Crew and Camo), and a fully upgraded Charioteer was waiting in my Garage. :rolleyes:

I have not regretted a thing. It's easily taking a spot in my "Top 3 favorite tanks".

what are the other top 3?

Pepper_PRO #9 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:44

Major

• Players
  • 21359 battles
  • [CR-ES] CR-ES

Take

My

Upfloats

Scorpiany #10 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:48

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 30256 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostCruxdei, on Sep 04 2015 - 16:44, said:

what are the other top 3?

In terms of my favorite tanks, 113, T54E1 and T71. Charioteer has replaced the T54E1 in the top 3. When it comes to carry potential however, I'd probably put the Charioteer right up top in the number one spot.

Edited by Scorpiany, Sep 05 2015 - 01:05.

gpc_4 #11 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 33973 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4
Looking forward to the Charioteer.....Challenger grind is depressing though.

Clanky44 #12 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 00:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25877 battles
My favourate tank in the game, 1400+ games in it. I play it very aggressively, usually getting 1-2 hits before falling back and using it's speed to flex. I have no problems getting in and close even against mediums. Use the hull traverse to offset the limited turret traverse.

Redwing6 #13 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 01:05

Major

• Players
  • 27047 battles
  • [HARMZ] HARMZ
good read, I went ahead and used free xp to unlock the last 30k for it. I really don't like the Challenger too much.

mightylite #14 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 01:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20440 battles
  • [BANED] BANED
Isu 152 had more pen with 286 on the Bl10

Scorpiany #15 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 01:12

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 30256 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View Postmightylite, on Sep 04 2015 - 17:08, said:

Isu 152 had more pen with 286 on the Bl10

O.K.... 286... now off to the salt mines you go. :S

Regardless, ISU-152's gun doesn't have any form of flexibility, nor a Premium or otherwise shell which is actually useful. Charioteer on the other hand has an incredible amount of flexibility, and has other shells which are useful; thus I'd still rank the Charioteer's penetration over the ISU's when it comes down to usefulness and effectiveness.

Kegbane #16 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 01:14

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7313 battles
  • [V1KNG] V1KNG

Being a TD, when the new motion physics are introduced it will have the mobility of a pregnant cow.

Enjoy it while you can.

Tazilon #17 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 04:23

Major

• Players
  • 91182 battles
  • [-40-] -40-

Typical Wargaming crap.  Introduce a tank as OP then nerf it later.

1)  It AIN'T a Scout.  Scouts will see it well before it sees them.  370m sucks at Tier VIII.

2)  Getting to 445m isn't the end all.  In order to participate in Vision Wars, you need to far exceed 445m.

It is a very good tank in its current OP mode but it isn't close to being a Scout (Light).

Scorpiany #18 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 05:51

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 30256 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostTazilon, on Sep 04 2015 - 20:23, said:

Typical Wargaming crap.  Introduce a tank as OP then nerf it later.

1)  It AIN'T a Scout.  Scouts will see it well before it sees them.  370m sucks at Tier VIII.

2)  Getting to 445m isn't the end all.  In order to participate in Vision Wars, you need to far exceed 445m.

It is a very good tank in its current OP mode but it isn't close to being a Scout (Light).

With my setup, I have 505m of View Range, so I'd say it's plenty enough. It's not a scout, it's not a medium, but it's close enough to them. Certainly has many characteristics or abilities of them. Regardless of what it is, it's definitely not your typical TD; it's a much more independent vehicle.

Edited by Scorpiany, Sep 05 2015 - 05:52.

SpitYoYoMafia #19 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 06:00

Major

• Players
  • 17789 battles

Alright now lets put that gun against the ISU-152 and see which is the bigger threat

generally when I see that tank I kinda just don't care cuz paper armor 2-3 shot it move on

but you see an ISU-152 and you have to carefully place your shots or risk bouncing and getting 2 shotted by it. Not that the tank isn't a threat at all but it's more of a light tank/TD (as you said) than an actual TD so it's presence on the battlefield is different.

It's got great game control, alpha, pen, gun control which is everything that a good player wants. It's got the complete package but I prefer TD's with some armor and high alpha so I tend to sway in that direction. I would agree that gun is crazy on a T8 TD and makes me wonder why some tanks in this game are so damn bad but tanks like this exist and they won't buff them.

If I do have anything to say about this tank tho is to not get spotted. Imagine what happens when you're driving a high tier auto loader made of paper and you get spotted. The same thing is gonna happen in this tank. The rain will follow suit.

Edited by Delimon, Sep 05 2015 - 06:02.

Abbathor #20 Posted Sep 05 2015 - 06:33

Captain

• Players
  • 14626 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW
I want this thing so badly, but looking at the challenger makes me want to cry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users