Best way to start the game?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

razorseal #1 Posted Jul 02 2011 - 23:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 814 battles
Hello everyone

Just found out about this game, seems fun...

I've been reading the forums today and finally wanted to post up and ask some Qs

I want to start off on the right foot, so I wanted to know the best way about going down the tech tree lane.

is it worth it to upgrade the tanks that you start off with? or should I save those XPs and use them for some better tanks down the road

should I keep using the beginner tanks until I get something decent, or should I try to upgrade to something else asap?

anddd, buying gold. how do I go about that? (I actually haven't looked taht up) I heard it's pretty beneficial if you do. especially if you get the premium subscription, beause then you get x1.5 the XP I think?

I saw some people said to get the tank 'lewo' (not sure if that's what it was) as it's a great grinding tank... I couldn't find it though, who has this tank? where is it?

should I concentrate on one nation so I can master their tech tree to get their best, or should I just go as I please. i've been using that german beginner tank, and it seems like all my xp is only specific to that one.

I think that's it for now. I'm going back into the game :)

Zakume #2 Posted Jul 02 2011 - 23:42

Major

• Players
  • 25843 battles
Whoa, kinda got questions all over the place so I'll try my best to answer them.

1. Totally up to you, you can upgrade your beginner tank if you like it, or you can skip it. Personally I just researched what I needed to get to the next tank and moved on, but there are many people who love the tier 1-2 battles so if you want to, by all means.

2. Using a tank will only gain xp on that specific tank, so unless you elite it and use gold to transfer the normal xp to free xp, all of the experience will stay on that tank.

3. Pretty sure there are tutorials on how to buy gold in the form of videos or text on the main site. All you have to do is go onto the main site and click "Get Gold", then there are various payment methods.

4. I assume you mean the "Lowe" not "lewo". This tank is a Tier 8 German Heavy tank that is premium, which means it has no upgrades and does not lead to any other tank. It's purpose is to make credits and xp at a fast rate as the premium tanks, and especially the Lowe and KV-5, do faster than normal tanks. If you do buy this tank, it is same to assume you will almost never have money problems. Keep in mind however that it is Tier 8, and thus it will be thrown into battles accordingly. That means you will be playing with veteran players who know the game well, and who also might get a little ticked if you are a new player who just bought this tank and don't know how to use it yet. As for getting it, it is up to you.

5. Again this is up to you. You can go down only 1 nation if you like their tanks and delve deep into it. Or you can get a taste of all the nations and what they have to offer. Being a new player, I would probably advise trying out different nations, and different types of vehicles to see what you like.

razorseal #3 Posted Jul 02 2011 - 23:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 814 battles
I appreciate it, thanks!

damn, that's a pretty high tier tank.

wouldn't it take me a while to get to Tier 8 tanks anyways, which by then, I should know the game...

Zakume #4 Posted Jul 02 2011 - 23:51

Major

• Players
  • 25843 battles

View Postrazorseal, on Jul 02 2011 - 23:46, said:

I appreciate it, thanks!

damn, that's a pretty high tier tank.

wouldn't it take me a while to get to Tier 8 tanks anyways, which by then, I should know the game...

Ah yes normally, but the Lowe is a premium tank! Premium tanks can be bought with gold(real money) regardless of anything. You can buy the Lowe before playing any other tanks or having any other experience in the game. Lots of new players do this and some veteran players get a little ticked because they expect their teammates to have a certain level of skill, and if they don't, well...I think you get the idea haha. Personally I don't mind it too much, but I believe it would be good if a new player played in some tanks a while(At least 100 battles?), learned the maps, and tactics, etc. before buying a Tier 8 premium. However if you would like to get one, go for it, nothing wrong with it.  :Smile_honoring:

razorseal #5 Posted Jul 02 2011 - 23:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 814 battles
aha! I see that, I just got some gold, and I see that I can skip the leveling and jump right into thank...

well I didn't buy enough gold to buy that tank, but enough to buy something decent. I'm gonna give it a go now and before I spend 50 bucks to buy a tank ingame, I'm gonna make sure I enjoy the game 1st.

I'll probably get a med tank for now, which should be noob friendly and give me a better idea

I have a habit of 'rushing' in games... I hear that the russian tanks are best for 'rushing'?

rushing as in, I don't like to hide in 1 spot hoping for a kill. I like to take the fight to them!!

Clockworkred #6 Posted Jul 03 2011 - 00:07

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 10832 battles
  • [LBAS] LBAS

View Postrazorseal, on Jul 02 2011 - 23:59, said:

I have a habit of 'rushing' in games... I hear that the russian tanks are best for 'rushing'?

rushing as in, I don't like to hide in 1 spot hoping for a kill. I like to take the fight to them!!

Russian tanks from tier VI onwards are decent for "brawling," meaning close-range fighting (tiers III-V in the heavy line are more suited for medium-range). However, in any line, rushing out into the open and charging the enemy is a really, really good way to reduce your tank to a smoking wreck. Just play some of the early tanks, get a feel for the tactics and inherent habits in the game, and brace for the tier III-IV grind.

razorseal #7 Posted Jul 03 2011 - 00:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 814 battles
I'm getting the idea pretty quick.

I used to be a pretty good tanker in WWIIOL if anyone had played that... so I know bit of tanking

this RAM-II is real nice, very fast reload, I like it!

however, I think it's more fun to 'build' your own tank with points I'd have to say...

Zakume #8 Posted Jul 03 2011 - 00:20

Major

• Players
  • 25843 battles

View Postrazorseal, on Jul 03 2011 - 00:16, said:

I'm getting the idea pretty quick.

I used to be a pretty good tanker in WWIIOL if anyone had played that... so I know bit of tanking

this RAM-II is real nice, very fast reload, I like it!

however, I think it's more fun to 'build' your own tank with points I'd have to say...

Indeed the Ram II is probably the best premium medium IMHO. And yeah its alot more rewarding to get your own tanks, thats why most of us play currently, other than the gameplay that is.

razorseal #9 Posted Jul 03 2011 - 02:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 814 battles
another question...

any reason to have a light tank when you have a nice med or heavy tank? (or why have a med tank when I have a heavy tank)

I know diff roles, but doesn't the bigger tanks gain more credit and xp?

Clockworkred #10 Posted Jul 03 2011 - 23:31

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 10832 battles
  • [LBAS] LBAS

View Postrazorseal, on Jul 03 2011 - 02:33, said:

another question...

any reason to have a light tank when you have a nice med or heavy tank? (or why have a med tank when I have a heavy tank)

I know diff roles, but doesn't the bigger tanks gain more credit and xp?

Bigger tanks gain more XP and credits, but they also have steeper research costs and cost more to rearm and repair. An example is the M6, which needs 5050XP to research its suspension and costs about 4,000 credits to repair (plus more to refill its shot locker).

Medium tanks also play differently then heavy tanks. A T-34/85 does not play the same as a KV-3, and both work towards different end-tier tanks. It's for gameplay variety, not simply stepping stones. A similarly tiered Medium tank can also make as much as a heavy tank, and likewise can cost the same (and maybe more) to repair and rearm.

People sometimes keep lower tier tanks for the "fun factor," when they get tired of the matchmaker at the higher level and turn towards the more forgiving nature of the lower-tiered matches.