Gold - Required?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Flybye #1 Posted Jul 03 2011 - 18:38

Private

• Players
  • 2789 battles
Hi all.

I'm just curious, can you get by without buying gold or will people that buy gold always have some type of advantage?
Can you excel enough to be competitive without having to buy gold?

Sadukar09 #2 Posted Jul 03 2011 - 18:40

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19837 battles
Tier 10 tank grinded with gold performs the same as the one grinded without, unless you include gold ammo+consumables. It's going to take you much longer to get there however...

FluffytheDestroyer #3 Posted Jul 03 2011 - 18:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 510 battles

View PostSadukar09, on Jul 03 2011 - 18:40, said:

Tier 10 tank grinded with gold performs the same as the one grinded without, unless you include gold ammo+consumables. It's going to take you much longer to get there however...

I have to agree. I've played both ways now and the outcome is the same. It's just how long it takes you to get there. The gold is nice but it's not a game-changer.

Eidolone #4 Posted Jul 03 2011 - 18:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20846 battles
The primary effect of spending gold is to make the "grind" aspects of the game much shorter.  Premium account is +50% xp and credits, transferring free xp allows you to skip the worst stock grinds, while premium tanks make farming credits a breeze.  That said, you can easily remain competitive in battle without spending a single gold, even at high tiers.  It just means you'll have to play more games to get there, and will probably be forced to play lower tier tanks more often in order to support the repair/ammo costs on your high tiers.

Punisher_1 #5 Posted Jul 03 2011 - 18:48

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3484 battles
  • [TB] TB
Depends on what you want to do.

Premium takes the sting out of a lost battle. Thats a $15.00 investment each month.

You can only run one tank when you grind up a line. So it would take less time with premium due to the bonus exp and credits.

If you want to spend additional gold you can convert experiance from your elite tanks. Roughly a 25 exp to one gold conversion. It is expensive to convert experiance at the cost of gaining a new tank. Does it take the pain out of grinding for countless hours and days? yes its sure does. However once you convert $40 to $80 worth of experiance for one vehicle is it worth it? Thats what you have to be happy with.

Once you have that top tier tank is it going to make money for you? Are you going to use it in Clan Wars? How often are you going to run it?

Flybye #6 Posted Jul 03 2011 - 20:45

Private

• Players
  • 2789 battles

View PostFluffytheDestroyer, on Jul 03 2011 - 18:42, said:

.... The gold is nice but it's not a game-changer.
That is exactly what I wanted to hear.
I have time, am not impatient, and don't mind going through the grind knowing I played the game long and hard to get where I wanted to get.

TY

tritium4ever #7 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 00:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5731 battles
  • [CGN] CGN

View PostFlybye, on Jul 03 2011 - 20:45, said:

That is exactly what I wanted to hear.
I have time, am not impatient, and don't mind going through the grind knowing I played the game long and hard to get where I wanted to get.

TY

Alas, it's only true up to a point. Once you get into tier 8 and beyond, you'll need to play consistently well to make a profit if you don't have premium. At tier 9 and 10 you'll probably operate at a net loss even at a reasonably good level of play, only making credits on the better than average wins.

What this boils down to is needing a tier 5 or 6 tank to grind credits in order to support high tier play. This is true whether or not you have premium. But premium makes the break even point significantly easier to reach...you get a 50% boost to credits but your repair/ammo/consumable costs remain the same, so the net result is that profit is increased by more than 50%. It's a massive bonus that greatly shortens the amount of time you need to spend working your way up.

The bottom line is that this game is designed to almost force you to use premium once you get to the high tiers. Yes you can play without it, but be prepared for lots of grinding. And if you're doing "endgame" Clan Wars content, you'll be competing against people who regularly use gold ammo and they'll have a significant advantage over those who don't. Pay to win definitely exists in this game, if you play long enough to reach the point where it matters.

--

That having been said, I played well into tier 5 without spending a cent. People generally don't use gold ammo/consumables in public matches so you're not really at a competitive disadvantage compared to people of the same tier using gold.

ttme #8 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 02:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6387 battles
Without the premium account, your credit income will break even at about T7 for an average player, with the premium, your income will break even at T9. That's about the only difference in terms of game play. What this means is that you need to start a line for credit farming earlier if you are playing without premium account.

Just from a rough estimation,it takes about 3~4 times longer to get to T10 without premium accounts for players with the same skill.

In the actual battle, gold ammo sometimes makes a difference, but people hardly uses them because it's like throwing money down the toilet. The only exception is during clan war battles where you can use the province earnings to buy gold ammo.

Zakume #9 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 03:21

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31445 battles

View Postttme, on Jul 05 2011 - 02:50, said:

Without the premium account, your credit income will break even at about T7 for an average player, with the premium, your income will break even at T9. That's about the only difference in terms of game play. What this means is that you need to start a line for credit farming earlier if you are playing without premium account.

Just from a rough estimation,it takes about 3~4 times longer to get to T10 without premium accounts for players with the same skill.

In the actual battle, gold ammo sometimes makes a difference, but people hardly uses them because it's like throwing money down the toilet. The only exception is during clan war battles where you can use the province earnings to buy gold ammo.

You can get to T9 without premium while being average and still be gaining money the whole time overall, I did it o.o.

ttme #10 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6387 battles

View PostZakume, on Jul 05 2011 - 03:21, said:

You can get to T9 without premium while being average and still be gaining money the whole time overall, I did it o.o.

is that for medium?? if it's for heavy lines, than you are not an average player :P

Zakume #11 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 16:33

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31445 battles

View Postttme, on Jul 05 2011 - 14:26, said:

is that for medium?? if it's for heavy lines, than you are not an average player :P

Yea IS-4, and rly? I always thought I was average  ^_^:Smile-hiding:

knaT_sdrawkcaB #12 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 17:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12060 battles
Just to give you an idea of what you are looking at if you are interested in SPGs...

I am playing an S-51, which is a tier 6 SPG in the Russian line.  To unlock the Object 212 I need over 180,000 experience.

I can average about 400 exp without premium and 600 exp with it (these are guesses, but are close).  So, with premium it should take about 300 games to unlock the tier 7 SPG, and 450 games without premium.

Depending on how much you like to play the Tank/SPG/TD you are grinding through, the extra 150 games can be very easy... however, if you have to grind at this level with a tank you cannot stand it can be very (very) painful.  Fortunately I love playing the S-51 so it is going fast.

The experience needed to unlock Tanks is less than SPGs, but the experience per game is also less.

This is just an example of how the Premium account can help.

knaT

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users