Collings Foundation's Battle for the Airfield

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Lyon69 #21 Posted Sep 30 2015 - 13:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 13941 battles

Hi guys,

I might plan to go there to see the show but I'm from Canada and not too familiar with the spot where this is happening. What is the name of that museum and did it have a lot of tanks to see ? Did it have a couple of place close to visit also ? What is the closest town that have hotels to stay ?

thanks in advance follow tankers ! ;-)

miles79 #22 Posted Sep 30 2015 - 15:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 57821 battles

View PostLyon69, on Sep 30 2015 - 12:44, said:

Hi guys,

I might plan to go there to see the show but I'm from Canada and not too familiar with the spot where this is happening. What is the name of that museum and did it have a lot of tanks to see ? Did it have a couple of place close to visit also ? What is the closest town that have hotels to stay ?

thanks in advance follow tankers ! ;-)

The closest town with a decent amount of hotels is Marlborough, MA. There are 4 or 5 there that are mid-priced. The Columbus Day Weekend is a pretty big tourism weekend with all of the people coming to look at the leaves changing color, so rooms tend to be a little higher, and will sell out as it gets close. There are also Holiday Inns in Hudson, MA and Boxborough, MA. They are all about 15 minutes from the facility. 

Guest_Koltzan_* #23 Posted Oct 04 2015 - 07:33

The areas we are talking about are about 30-45 min outside of Boston (maybe an hour from the coast).  The "leafpeepers" do tend to stay in certain areas, but with Hurricane Joaquin coming up the coast, this whole week's going to be wet.  I'm hoping enough of it clears out not to ruin some of the activities.  Last year on Saturday we had a light drizzle...not enough to stop anything, but it did keep some inside longer than expected.

This isn't a "museum" in the classic sense.  This is someone's private collection built over decades of dedication to preserving modes of transportation (not just tanks and planes).  I'm hoping that he can have it open year-round and make it a true museum.  There's nothing else around in Stow (I believe), but if you wish to drive an hour you can get anywhere from Salem (and the whole Salem Witches, Halloween, etc.), down to parts of Cape Cod (may take ~2 hours to the tip), Boston, or even Providence/Newport for sightseeing.

If I remember, Ken, I'll ask around for you and say Hello with my friends and son.  I hope to also remember to wear my WoT dogtags made during their First Anniversary party from back in the day.

Oh, as to the amount of tanks you'll see...it all depends on the re-enactors who add to the StuG IV, Hellcat, Stuart, and Hetzer that are part of the collection.  We saw a few Shermans, Locust, another StuG (or was it a Hetzer?) and I'm probably forgetting a tank or two....and that doesn't count the other vehicles driving around along with the long 88s.  I believe the Panther is still in CA, so we'll have to wait until the whole museum thing gets worked out before we can see it.

-Koltzan

Edited by Koltzan, Oct 04 2015 - 07:44.

miles79 #24 Posted Oct 06 2015 - 22:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 57821 battles

Here is a list of vehicles that are scheduled to take part as of today:

Allies:

2x Shermans

Stuart

M18 Hellcat

4x various US halftracks

M7 Priest

M22 Locust

6-8 other scout cars, jeeps and trucks

Axis:

Stug 3 - The real one, not the replica that has taken part the past few years

Hetzer

2x88mm flak guns with the searchlight and generator

SdKfz 251

Sdkfz 222 - Only one in the country, 1 of only 2 in the world

Kettenkrad

G-4 Staff car

Several other smaller vehicles like the schwimwagon and Kublewagon. 

We will not be flying during the event this year, so the entire field will be open for vehicle inspection except during the battle portions. There are scheduled to be about 340 reenactors here in addition to the vehicle crews with all of their "camp" setups. Plenty to keep a person busy for a few hours. We will use about 30,000 rounds of blank ammunition in addition to all of the main guns on the tanks that use mostly black powder. There is also a collection of military vehicles in the hangar that will not be used because of duplication and such. All of that is in addition to 70+ cars and a dozen or so aircraft. 

Da_Oberst #25 Posted Oct 10 2015 - 23:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9543 battles
Just got back from this event. It was spectacular. If you get a chance to go tomorrow, it is highly worth it!! It's not as loud as the locals make it sound to be, and its quite disheartening to see the signs on the way in essentially condemning us for wanting to come out to this show. However If you want to see several pieces of history move, fire, and explain themselves afterwards its a fantastic day out! (And you can always go apple picking like we did after the event if you still have any energy left.) All in all would highly recommend it, especially where it may not be around for much longer!

JackAttack22 #26 Posted Oct 12 2015 - 21:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 106373 battles
Had a great time at this event with the family - asked about a million questions of the re-enactors and was always greeted with enthusiasm!  Very jealous of the crews driving the M22 Locust and M5 Stuart around - two of my favorite tanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users