Want to win more? Crew Skills by the Numbers

SaskO Want to win more crew skills crew skills

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Sask_Outrider #1 Posted Oct 01 2015 - 22:02

Major

• Players
  • 32136 battles

Please note:  If you do not believe you have control over your win rate please read this post: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/227903-the-ruthless-math-of-wot-and-why-every-tank-matters/

If you still do not believe go find your tin foil hat, put it on, and stop reading this thread.

This is a post in a series of posts on what you can do to win more.  Here is a link to the "table of contents" of the series: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/337049-sask-outriders-want-to-win-more-series/

Starting a new crew (regardless of if you use gold or not):

Once a crew is at 100% in their major qualification (Driver, Commander, Loader, . . .)

1. Train commander in Mentor
  2. Train the rest of the crew in either Camouflage or Repair
    1. Entire crew should have the same skill
    2. Camouflage if it's a light tank or a sneaky TD
    3. Repair for everything else

If you are using gold to re-train:

Once you have reached 100% for the first skill:

1. Drop skills on the commander and retrain 6th Sense as the first skill and mentor as the second skill
  2. Drop skills on the Loader and retrain Safe Storage as the first skill and either repair or camouflage as the second skill (The same skill as chosen above).  If there are two loaders do not drop skills on the second loader and select camouflage or repair as the second skill
  3. Select Snap Shot or Repairs (if repair was not the first skill) as the second skill on the Gunner
  4. Select Clutch Braking, Smooth Ride (works well with snap shot), Off-Road Driving, or Repair (if repair was not the first skill) for the driver
  5. Select Situational Awareness or Repair (if repair was not the first skill for the radio operator

Once you have reached 100% for the second skill:

1. Drop skills on the commander and retrain Brothers in Arms as the first skill and 6th Sense as the second skill.  Select Recon, Camouflage, or repair for the third skill
  2. Drop skills on the Loader and retrain Brothers in Arms as the first skill and Safe Storage as the second skill Select either repair or camouflage as the second skill (The same skill as chosen above).  If there is a second loader drop skills and select Brothers in Arms for the first skill and Repairs and Camouflage for the second and third skills.
  3. Drop skills on the Gunner and select Brothers in Arms for the first skill and Camouflage or Repair as the second skill.  Select Snap Shot or Repairs (if repair was not the first skill) as the third skill.
  4. Drop skills on the Driver and select Brothers in Arms for the first skill and Camouflage or Repair as the second skill.  Select Clutch Braking, Smooth Ride (works well with snap shot), Off-Road Driving, or Repair (if repair was not the first skill) as the third skill
  5. Drop skills on the Radio Operator and select Brothers in Arms for the first skill and Camouflage or Repair as the second skill.  Select Situational Awareness or Repair (if repair was not the first skill as the third skill.

If you are using credits to re-train:

Once you have reached 100% for the first skill:

1. Select repair or camouflage as the second skill on the Commander
  2. Select repair or camouflage as the second skill on the Loader
  3. Select Snap Shot or Repairs (if repair was not the first skill) as the second skill on the Gunner
  4. Select Clutch Braking, Smooth Ride (works well with snap shot), Off-Road Driving, or Repair (if repair was not the first skill) for the driver
  5. Select Situational Awareness or Repair (if repair was not the first skill for the radio operator

Once you have reached 39% for the second skill:

1. Drop skills on the commander and retrain 6th Sense as the first skill and mentor as the second skill
  2. Drop skills on the Loader and retrain Safe Storage as the first skill and either repair or camouflage as the second skill (The same skill as chosen above).  If there are two loaders do not drop skills on the second loader and select camouflage or repair as the second skill

Once you have reached 100% for the second skill:

1. Select either Repairs or some other skill for all the crew member

Once you have reached 39% for the third skill:

1. Drop skills on the commander and retrain Brothers in Arms as the first skill and 6th Sense as the second skill.  Select Recon, Camouflage, or repair for the third skill
  2. Drop skills on the Loader and retrain Brothers in Arms as the first skill and Safe Storage as the second skill Select either repair or camouflage as the second skill (The same skill as chosen above).  If there is a second loader drop skills and select Brothers in Arms for the first skill and Repairs and Camouflage for the second and third skills.
  3. Drop skills on the Gunner and select Brothers in Arms for the first skill and Camouflage or Repair as the second skill.  Select Snap Shot or Repairs (if repair was not the first skill) as the third skill.
  4. Drop skills on the Driver and select Brothers in Arms for the first skill and Camouflage or Repair as the second skill.  Select Clutch Braking, Smooth Ride (works well with snap shot), Off-Road Driving, or Repair (if repair was not the first skill) as the third skill
  5. Drop skills on the Radio Operator and select Brothers in Arms for the first skill and Camouflage or Repair as the second skill.  Select Situational Awareness or Repair (if repair was not the first skill as the third skill.

If you choose to not spend credits on re-training you will have to do the wait until you are at 52% before you drop skills.

Once you have gotten to 100% on the third skill you should know what you need for your tank.

There are some skills that work better on certain tanks like preventive maintenance on German tanks.  Always remember to not train perks from 0% as they give you no advantage until they reach 100%.

I suspect there will be almost no debate on why I select 6th sense as the primary skill on the commander. 

I suspect there may be some debate on why I select safe storage.  The reason I select safe storage is because I find that getting one-shot ammo racked in a game to ruin my day so I try to avoid this as much as possible using crew skills.

Enjoy,

Cutthroatlemur #2 Posted Oct 01 2015 - 22:06

Major

• Players
  • 19675 battles
Love your posts, take my +1.  (Even though I'm not sold on Safe Stowage)

Sask_Outrider #3 Posted Oct 01 2015 - 22:08

Major

• Players
  • 32136 battles
Thanks.  Like I said the safe storage (they change stowage to storage in the wiki) is a debatable one.  The problem is that it is the only good loader skill and it is a perk.

5ixty5ix #4 Posted Oct 01 2015 - 22:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25754 battles
  • [-UT-] -UT-

Very well put. It's a great training strategy if you're looking to get the maximum effectiveness out of your crew at all time. Basically giving you full skill effectiveness, while avoiding perks that have not reached 100%. 

All the drops are going to cost you a lot of money or time though. Consider how many battles it takes to build up 39% of a 3rd skill. 

Great numbers for people who take the game seriously and want to stay competitive. For more casual players I'd recommend to just pick the skills/perks that best fit your tank and grind em straight through. 

Edited by 5ixty5ix, Oct 02 2015 - 00:05.

DMan360 #5 Posted Oct 01 2015 - 22:25

Captain

• Players
  • 20594 battles
Only thing to add would be that tank skills should be looked at with a case by case basis. It depends on what you are trying accomplish with that specific tank. +1

DangYankee #6 Posted Oct 01 2015 - 22:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13096 battles
Thanks for sharing!!

WanderingGhost #7 Posted Oct 01 2015 - 22:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15160 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostDMan360, on Oct 01 2015 - 16:25, said:

Only thing to add would be that tank skills should be looked at with a case by case basis. It depends on what you are trying accomplish with that specific tank. +1

Yeah, some tanks I wouldn't worry at all about safe stowage and just go for the general skills, others (centurion base tanks and anything German) it's one of the first. 

TheSwagoniX #8 Posted Oct 01 2015 - 23:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5802 battles

View PostDangYankee, on Oct 01 2015 - 17:31, said:

Thanks for sharing!!

Sask_Outrider #9 Posted Oct 01 2015 - 23:29

Major

• Players
  • 32136 battles

View PostAfterschoolCarl, on Oct 01 2015 - 16:08, said:

you're opinionated, i'll give you that much, but do you have any facts to back up your assertions???

Well Carl

Nice attempt at a troll.

I can assert that I have given this guide a lot of thought and IMHO it is the best course of action for new players.

Themutt36 #10 Posted Oct 01 2015 - 23:36

Captain

• Players
  • 20462 battles
I agree with a lot of this

luver2 #11 Posted Oct 05 2015 - 04:49

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35253 battles

Thx.  Well thotout. :great:

I read about the 39% rule several months ago but the thread degenerated into a math contest ranging between 32-39%. W/o getting too math on us... why 39%  & why only when using credits?

GREAT/IMPORTANT GENERAL/ALL-AROUND  RULE for noobs or anyone willing to spend alittle gold &/or credits: Regardless of your personal preferences/goals, always  grind on ones that start giving benefits immediately & then pay to reset them to ones that only do something when they are 100% & start grinding on another that helps as U grind.  

Special note (if U havn't figured out/learned yet) on the very useful Bro-in-Arms EVERY member of the crew must have it (not just base) at 100% or it is a total waste(!).  WofT clarified the wording on this somewhat... after i & i'm sure many other noobs wasted, untold battles training some of the crew in B-in-A only to not notice/know that the little fist icon was grayed out = it was doing nothing:angry:    Follow the rules laid out in here... exactly when it comes to Bro-in-Arms.

Thx again for all your effort & to those additional experienced players that added to it. "+1" to all.

Now, would sum1 explain EXACTLY how the Premium vehicle crew training/swap/upgrading gyrations work?  My high 2-digit IQ can't put all those moving parts together & like with B-in-A, seems i'v wasted alot of time & money unnecessarily. :angry:  Some examples would really be VERY helpful in any such help.

Doomslinger #12 Posted Oct 05 2015 - 05:00

Major

• Players
  • 72273 battles
Want to win more?  Just install autoaim indicator plus mod and you can cheat er I mean click shot tanks much faster compared to the games default auto aim lock.

Tazilon #13 Posted Oct 05 2015 - 07:44

Major

• Players
  • 94130 battles
  • [-40-] -40-

HORRIBLE ADVICE!

1)  DO NOT train Mentor.  Train something for your Commander which helps your tank.  The Commander has some of the best skills for a tanker to have.  Don't waste an early training slot on Mentor!

2)  One should not make a cookie cutter list of skills to train.  It will be less than optimal for almost every tank to which it is applied.   Not only doesn't a cookie cutter approach work for all tanks, it isn't even a good idea for a specific class of tank.  One must approach skills on an individual tank by tank basis.

Edited by Tazilon, Oct 05 2015 - 07:44.

Sask_Outrider #14 Posted Oct 05 2015 - 19:51

Major

• Players
  • 32136 battles

View PostTazilon, on Oct 05 2015 - 00:44, said:

HORRIBLE ADVICE!

1)  DO NOT train Mentor.  Train something for your Commander which helps your tank.  The Commander has some of the best skills for a tanker to have.  Don't waste an early training slot on Mentor!

2)  One should not make a cookie cutter list of skills to train.  It will be less than optimal for almost every tank to which it is applied.   Not only doesn't a cookie cutter approach work for all tanks, it isn't even a good idea for a specific class of tank.  One must approach skills on an individual tank by tank basis.

Believe it or not Taz the Mentor idea came from a player that is far far far far better than you at this game.

KaiserMartens #15 Posted Oct 05 2015 - 20:53

Major

• Players
  • 27331 battles
  • [GSH] GSH
In the long run, don't you actually lose a big amount of experience if you cannot use gold to reset?

Edited by KaiserMartens, Oct 05 2015 - 20:53.

Sask_Outrider #16 Posted Oct 06 2015 - 00:04

Major

• Players
  • 32136 battles

View PostKaiserMartens, on Oct 05 2015 - 13:53, said:

In the long run, don't you actually lose a big amount of experience if you cannot use gold to reset?

Yes you do.  I always use gold to retrain crew.

Sask_Outrider #17 Posted Oct 06 2015 - 00:15

Major

• Players
  • 32136 battles

View PostTazilon, on Oct 05 2015 - 00:44, said:

HORRIBLE ADVICE!

Taz

How many crews have you ever trained?  Considering that you have played over 40,000 games in one tank how could you have any ability to comment on crew training.  How would you know if the cookie cutter approach would not work?  You only have one good crew from what I can tell.

By using mentor you are able to make the commander the person with the lowest amount of experience.  This will allow the commander to double up on experience when you have accelerate crew training on.

Lets look at the person who suggested mentor:

View PostRodneyDangerfield, on Mar 10 2014 - 23:49, said:

I do something quite similar except I use mentor until I get to the third(or close). Mentor+accelerated crew+ 2x crew skill weekend= Quick first/second skill grind.

Rodney plays top tiers which has most of the best players in the game.  Taz has played 76.5% of his games in tier 6 which effectively makes him a seal clubber for a player with his number of games.

Go troll somewhere else Taz.

Tazilon #18 Posted Oct 06 2015 - 03:14

Major

• Players
  • 94130 battles
  • [-40-] -40-

View PostSask_Outrider, on Oct 05 2015 - 18:51, said:

Believe it or not Taz the Mentor idea came from a player that is far far far far better than you at this game.

Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are trolling.  

Believe it or not Sask, long ago someone did the math on Mentor and it just isn't worth it for your early skills   For the sake of gaining a few games in training long term, you give up using useful skills in hundreds of games.  It doesn't make sense.

Edited by Tazilon, Oct 06 2015 - 03:30.

Tazilon #19 Posted Oct 06 2015 - 03:16

Major

• Players
  • 94130 battles
  • [-40-] -40-

View PostSask_Outrider, on Oct 05 2015 - 23:15, said:

Taz

How many crews have you ever trained?  Considering that you have played over 40,000 games in one tank how could you have any ability to comment on crew training.  How would you know if the cookie cutter approach would not work?  You only have one good crew from what I can tell.

By using mentor you are able to make the commander the person with the lowest amount of experience.  This will allow the commander to double up on experience when you have accelerate crew training on.

Rodney plays top tiers which has most of the best players in the game.  Taz has played 76.5% of his games in tier 6 which effectively makes him a seal clubber for a player with his number of games.

Correction, I played the majority of those games in a Tier V (then Tier VI) Scout which fought against Tier X in the highest battle tiers.   Hardly "seal clubbing".

Edited by Tazilon, Oct 06 2015 - 03:16.

Tazilon #20 Posted Oct 06 2015 - 03:26

Major

• Players
  • 94130 battles
  • [-40-] -40-

View PostSask_Outrider, on Oct 05 2015 - 23:15, said:

Taz

Are you seriously trying to get people to believe you can train the same skills for every tank?  Heavies should take the same skills as Lights?   TDs should take the same skills as Mediuns?  That really makes sense to you?

You can't even use one coookie cutter pattern for all the tanks in the same class.  A T71 needs different skills than a 13 90.  A Luchs needs different skills than a Pz38nA.   

As for crews, I have 1 crew that is now 8.69 skills, followed by crews with 4.14, 3.98, 3.88, 3.85, 3.82 and a bunch close to 3.

The entire idea of skills/perks is to give you enough of a variety of bonuses that you can customize what you take based on your weapons platform and play style.   Using 1 cookie cutter stencil for all your tanks entirely misses the point of having choices. 

Edited by Tazilon, Oct 06 2015 - 03:26.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users