• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Zapp__Brannigan #41 Posted Mar 25 2016 - 12:11

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7937 battles
  • [PERCH] PERCH

View PostCutthroatlemur, on Oct 01 2015 - 22:06, said:

Love your posts, take my +1.  (Even though I'm not sold on Safe Stowage)

Get ammo racked a couple times in an SU and you will be

Shrouthawk #42 Posted Nov 15 2016 - 18:27

Private

• -Players-
  • 45445 battles
LOL Love the different views keep up the good Sask.

RenamedUser_1016493851 #43 Posted Jan 03 2017 - 19:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3856 battles

View PostFrijolero, on Mar 24 2016 - 10:21, said:

This sums it all.

I like Sask technique to build crew skills. It is something I'm gonna have to try it out with some crew I am workin' on, but I give the reason to Taz: a one size fits all pattern does not work well on all tanks. Perhaps Sask can add Taz's comment on his guide: Even though the technique can work on every tank, it is recommended to research about the best skill build for the tank you are planning to leave the crew on to maximize results.

I mean, If that crew is the one I use to grind the tech tree they are on, then the general pattern Sask says on his guide may be the better choice. But if the crew is for a tank I plan to keep and not move to another non premium tank, then better follow Taz advice and do your homework before resetting and relearning skills & perks.

+1 to both of you :medal:

These comments need to be added to the guide. After playing the game awhile (mainly coming from Warships), there is the crew you use to go through the tech tree, then an optimized crew for the tank that will never see a different crew. Most new players are just going to be grinding through the tech tree until they understand the game better & get a feel for the different nations and tanks. You always research the one you are going to keep in the garage (or port).

Budman717 #44 Posted Jan 29 2017 - 00:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 7750 battles
I have a multi-skill German TD crew in my Jagdpanther, and I'd like to build another German TD crew for the glass cannon line (Nashorn, etc.).  Is there any advantage to using the multi-skilled commander with the Mentor skill in my Dicker Max premium TD with the new gunner, driver, loader, and radio operator to get crew XP faster?  I would build the new TD commander in the Dicker Max with my multi-skilled crew so as not to be driving a high tier tank with a completely new crew.

OlTanker #45 Posted Jan 29 2017 - 17:33

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19842 battles
Something I don't understand from the OP. He keeps using the term "drop skills" and retrain. Exactly what does that refer to and how is it done. Please type slowly and use small words for those of us who are not conversant in this persons particular use of terminology. The only retrain I am familiar with is when I transfer a crew from one tank and install them in another that I want them to remain in so that they do not operate with the skill deficit.

uberdice #46 Posted Feb 01 2017 - 09:08

Major

• Players
  • 26058 battles

View PostOlTanker, on Jan 30 2017 - 02:33, said:

Something I don't understand from the OP. He keeps using the term "drop skills" and retrain. Exactly what does that refer to and how is it done. Please type slowly and use small words for those of us who are not conversant in this persons particular use of terminology. The only retrain I am familiar with is when I transfer a crew from one tank and install them in another that I want them to remain in so that they do not operate with the skill deficit.

The option to retrain crew skills comes up when you open the crew member's profile.

OlTanker #47 Posted Feb 02 2017 - 18:13

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19842 battles
Uberdice, your statement must mean something to you but it does not answer the question I posted.

uberdice #48 Posted Feb 03 2017 - 05:20

Major

• Players
  • 26058 battles

View PostOlTanker, on Feb 03 2017 - 03:13, said:

Uberdice, your statement must mean something to you but it does not answer the question I posted.

Have you ever right-clicked on any of your crew's portraits?

Avalon304 #49 Posted Feb 03 2017 - 06:40

Major

• Players
  • 21528 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE

View PostOlTanker, on Feb 02 2017 - 09:13, said:

With pictures for extra understanding:

When people use the term 'drop skills; they refer to the process of resetting a crew members skills so you can choose new ones, as many skills only work once they are at 100% (these are called 'perks' by the game to differentiate them from 'skills' which work as they are trained). A common method of training a crew has the player take a skill, like Repairs or Camo on all crew members so that you get a benefit while getting crew experience, and then resetting the skills (usually using Gold) to choose a set of perks (like Brothers in Arms (which only works when the entire crew has it) or Safe Stowage, or Sixth Sense).

When you right click on a crew member in the garage you get a menu that lets you open their 'Personal File':

In that new window that opens there is a button marked 'Reset':

Clicking that button allows you to "drop skills" and be able to choose new ones. Paying gold allows you to keep all of your earned experience, paying silver causes you to lose 10% and paying nothing causes you to lose 20%:

B0ngHits #50 Posted Feb 23 2017 - 12:23

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28997 battles

Dropping skills? I don't understand that. If I have a skill at 37%, why would I drop it to start another at zero? I'm sure I'm just a n00b, but I've grinded my china tanks with the wrong first skills in the beginning. :) Still don't have sixth sense in my tier 5's and up for China. If I drop a skill, don't I lose it?

Thanks.

CaptainGW4104 #51 Posted Feb 23 2017 - 18:36

Private

• Players
  • 32660 battles
  • [TEXAS] TEXAS

View PostAvalon304, on Feb 03 2017 - 06:40, said:

With pictures for extra understanding:

When people use the term 'drop skills; they refer to the process of resetting a crew members skills so you can choose new ones, as many skills only work once they are at 100% (these are called 'perks' by the game to differentiate them from 'skills' which work as they are trained). A common method of training a crew has the player take a skill, like Repairs or Camo on all crew members so that you get a benefit while getting crew experience, and then resetting the skills (usually using Gold) to choose a set of perks (like Brothers in Arms (which only works when the entire crew has it) or Safe Stowage, or Sixth Sense).

When you right click on a crew member in the garage you get a menu that lets you open their 'Personal File':

In that new window that opens there is a button marked 'Reset':

Clicking that button allows you to "drop skills" and be able to choose new ones. Paying gold allows you to keep all of your earned experience, paying silver causes you to lose 10% and paying nothing causes you to lose 20%:

​Very good information on crews.  Another question I have on crew improvement concerns the "first win modifier", normally x2.  Should you keep the crew in the vehicle they are trained in and keep grinding away after you've received the daily x2 modifier, or does moving them around in similar vehicles that they are not trained in, and attempt to use the daily modifier on those vehicles, too.  Granted, I realize you should be earning more crew experience after a defeat in the trained vehicle vs being in an untrained one. but is there any benefit, i.e. more experience gained, for a crew with a red basic skills % after a victory in a x2 (or greater) vehicle vs in a vehicle that they are trained in and have already earned the daily experience multiplier?

uberdice #52 Posted Feb 23 2017 - 22:28

Major

• Players
  • 26058 battles

View Post__Hawkeye_, on Feb 23 2017 - 21:23, said:

Dropping skills? I don't understand that. If I have a skill at 37%, why would I drop it to start another at zero? I'm sure I'm just a n00b, but I've grinded my china tanks with the wrong first skills in the beginning. :) Still don't have sixth sense in my tier 5's and up for China. If I drop a skill, don't I lose it?

Thanks.

No, you get to retrain it. You're basically putting the xp cost of the skill back in the bank, so to speak. If you have a crew skill at 100%, and you drop for gold, you can retrain a new skill at 100%. If you drop for credits, you can retrain a new skill at 75%, and so on.

OlTanker #53 Posted Feb 24 2017 - 16:30

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19842 battles

Ok say I have a crew that has a "perk" or skill like repair at 100% I want to "retrain" them to get say, Brothers in arms, or get the commander 6th sense. If I "drop" the current repair skill and retrain to get the other, what happens top the repair "bonus" that they had before the reset? Assuming I use gold for this. Secondly I was under the impression that retraining a crew referred to changing them from say a KV1 to a IS3 crew qualification so that I could drag a "perked" or extra skilled crew to a better tank rather than merely changing skills in the same tank.

BTW, Thanks Avalon, that was FAR more informative than anything else in the thread to date!!!!

Edited by OlTanker, Feb 24 2017 - 16:31.

Da_Craw #54 Posted Apr 13 2017 - 19:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 27104 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostOlTanker, on Feb 24 2017 - 09:30, said:

Ok say I have a crew that has a "perk" or skill like repair at 100% I want to "retrain" them to get say, Brothers in arms, or get the commander 6th sense. If I "drop" the current repair skill and retrain to get the other, what happens top the repair "bonus" that they had before the reset? Assuming I use gold for this. Secondly I was under the impression that retraining a crew referred to changing them from say a KV1 to a IS3 crew qualification so that I could drag a "perked" or extra skilled crew to a better tank rather than merely changing skills in the same tank.

BTW, Thanks Avalon, that was FAR more informative than anything else in the thread to date!!!!

"Retraining" is for a different tank.  "Reset" does just that, it resets your skills and allows you to pick them anew.  In the above example, if you had a Commander at 100% in repair and reset his skills and chose 6th Sense, he would not now have anything in Repair.  The reason people do this anyway is that skills, like repair and camo, work to some degree without being fully trained.  Because of the exponential nature of the skill advancement, the first 75% of a skill costs much less than half of the total xp. (10% of the total xp gets you to 39%, 20% of the total xp gets you to 52%)   So you very quickly get most of the benefit from a skill, as opposed to a perk that grants no benefit at all until the grind is 100% complete.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users