How does Aiming Work?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Gottvonalle #1 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 10:34

Private

• Players
  • 987 battles
Newbie here and I did a search for aiming already to no avail. I get that you can right click a target and you should be "auto-aiming". Does this do everything for you? I am used to fps games that have a recticle getting bigger if you are running and it is most accurate when you are crouched and the recticle is at its smallest.  TL:DR How does tracking work in this game for aiming?

Lert #2 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 10:49

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44728 battles
When you move your mouse, your gun does its best to follow where you're looking, within the limits of gun elevation / depression and turret traverse (Both limits and speed). The mouse and the gun both have a seperate reticle.

When your tank is moving or your gun is traversing, your gun's reticle (IE, accuracy) will be at it's biggest. If you hold your gun still for a few moments, your gun's reticle will automatically shrink to become it's most accurate.

If you fire your gun, your shell will hit somewhere within your gun's reticle, with a gaussian distribution (IE, more likely to hit somewhere near the center than the outer edges)

All that auto-aim does (I strongly recommend against relying on it) is try to always point your gun at the gun mantlet of the enemy tank. This is a tank's strongest armor. It also doesn't take movement into account, so it won't lead shots. This is why auto-aim is a terrible idea in all but the most rare of circumstances.

Gottvonalle #3 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 11:01

Private

• Players
  • 987 battles
OK, i'm kind of getting it better. Auto Aim tries to help but it isn't a true auto aim. If i'm rolling over trees and giant hills and the recticle is just flying everywhere, then I'm not hitting anything ever. I will keep getting the feel for it. Great game so far. Thank you for the quick reply

_Manstein_ #4 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 11:48

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostGottvonalle, on Jul 05 2011 - 11:01, said:

OK, i'm kind of getting it better. Auto Aim tries to help but it isn't a true auto aim. If i'm rolling over trees and giant hills and the recticle is just flying everywhere, then I'm not hitting anything ever. I will keep getting the feel for it. Great game so far. Thank you for the quick reply

WW2 tanks lacked gyrostabilized gun mounts.

-----------
Truth fears no questions.

GearaDoga #5 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:39

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH

View PostGottvonalle, on Jul 05 2011 - 11:01, said:

It actually does a very good job of holding its aiming point, so long as your turret traverse speed and gun mount travel will allow it.  It's not up to the task of coping with heavy terrain, no.  And if your target is moving, you'll wind up shooting behind them.

And as Lert said, it has a tendency to aim at the turret, AKA the heaviest armor on the tank.  That's fine for low tier autocannons where you spray a burst all over the tank regardless, and for serious mismatches where your gun is so powerful or their armor is so thin that it won't matter where you hit, so long as you hit.  Anything else and it's worse than useless.

Really, the only decent uses for the auto-aim (IMHO) are autocannons and fast scouts where you're just snapping off potshots and focusing on not driving the tank into a cliff instead of shooting.

jdtherocker #6 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:43

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 14009 battles
another tip is green rectile, you can most likely penetrate thast spot on the tank
yellow rectile, not a good chance to pen use HE
red rectile, your not going to pen so use HE

razorseal #7 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 818 battles

View Postjdtherocker, on Jul 05 2011 - 14:43, said:

another tip is green rectile, you can most likely penetrate thast spot on the tank
yellow rectile, not a good chance to pen use HE
red rectile, your not going to pen so use HE

Wow didn't know that... I never paid attention to it, I'll check that out tonight!

am462 #8 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 11:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Post_Manstein_, on Jul 05 2011 - 11:48, said:

WW2 tanks lacked gyrostabilized gun mounts.

-----------
Truth fears no questions.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/M4_Sherman

American main 75 mm gun mounted on a fully traversing turret, with a gyrostabilizer enabling the crew to fire with reasonable accuracy while the tank was on the move.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users