Panzer VIII Maus

• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

Poll: Im letting the community speak for itself on this one. (888 members have cast votes)

What equipment do you use on the Maus?

1. Vertical Stabilizer Mk 2 (221 votes [8.20%])

Percentage of vote: 8.20%

2. Improved Ventilation Class 3 (518 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

3. "Wet" Ammo Rack Class 2 (35 votes [1.30%])

Percentage of vote: 1.30%

4. Toolbox (144 votes [5.35%])

Percentage of vote: 5.35%

5. Large-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer (749 votes [27.80%])

Percentage of vote: 27.80%

6. Large Spall Liner (597 votes [22.16%])

Percentage of vote: 22.16%

7. Fill Tanks with CO2 (36 votes [1.34%])

Percentage of vote: 1.34%

8. Enhanced Torsion Bars 5+ t Class (41 votes [1.52%])

Percentage of vote: 1.52%

9. Enhanced Gun Laying Drive (159 votes [5.90%])

Percentage of vote: 5.90%

10. Coated Optics (57 votes [2.12%])

Percentage of vote: 2.12%

11. Binocular Telescope (45 votes [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

12. Camouflage Net (52 votes [1.93%])

Percentage of vote: 1.93%

13. None (40 votes [1.48%])

Percentage of vote: 1.48%

What Consumables do you use on the Maus?

1. Large Repair Kit (179 votes [7.01%])

Percentage of vote: 7.01%

2. Large First Aid Kit (144 votes [5.64%])

Percentage of vote: 5.64%

3. Chocolate (56 votes [2.19%])

Percentage of vote: 2.19%

4. Automatic Fire Extinguishers (209 votes [8.18%])

Percentage of vote: 8.18%

5. Small Repair Kit (673 votes [26.35%])

Percentage of vote: 26.35%

6. Small First Aid Kit (658 votes [25.76%])

Percentage of vote: 25.76%

7. Manual Fire Extinguisher (569 votes [22.28%])

Percentage of vote: 22.28%

8. None (66 votes [2.58%])

Percentage of vote: 2.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Charcharo #1 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 12:32

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Nothing says "Epic" like a tank that fights like a battleship!
http://img15.imagesh...91/29048143.jpg
Welcome to the Maus, (AKA Panzer VIII, Mammoth or. THE BIG BAD BRICK) doctor Ferdinand Porche’s crazy vehicle. The final German heavy tank and the heaviest AFV ever made! This tier X tank is a great vehicle in every battle type, especially clan battles.

Previous tank: VK 4502(P)

Specs:
Posted Image
Tech tree:
Posted Image

Overview:
The Maus starts fully elite and the only thing you can do to improve it is to get your crew to 100% and spend money on modules and consumables. It’s the tank with THE most HP in the entire game, and bringing that HP down will require at least tier 9 guns… the armor on the tank is insane. Numerous times an imperial star cruiser (GW Tiger) has bounced using holy depleted-uranium rounds (AP). The MAUS itself has a decent enough gun, although it doesn’t penetrates much as the guns of the IS7 and T30 it is much more accurate. By the way, you might have noticed a second smaller gun (it is a 75mm) and it will be activated in a future patch. However, the tank is pretty slow, but considering its tonnage that’s normal. Another bad side is its money-making capabilities, which are virtually non-existent. Even if you are the best bloody player who manages to kill the entire enemy, you will be just in the clear unless with premium. Then you might make some profit if you are good with it, but don't expect much.
Price: 6,100,000 (yes, it costs more money than Switzerland has)
Camouflage: The thing is the size of Everest, what do you expect? Its invisible!

Pros.
-Insane Armour
-Insane hitpoints
-Most accurate T10 gun
-Second gun
Cons.
-Bad speed and maneuverability
-Huge target for enemy arty
-Can’t hide

Designation:
1. Warrior http://wiki.worldoft.../97/Warrior.png 2. Sniper http://wiki.worldoft...8f/Sniper.png3. Steel Wall http://wiki.worldoft...6/Steelwall.png 4. One man army http://wiki.worldoft...alKolobanov.png
5. Reaper http://wiki.worldoft...HandOfDeath.png

Crew:
1. Commander Posted Image
2. Gunner Posted Image
3. Driver Posted Image
4. Radio Operator Posted Image
5. Loader http://img62.imagesh...13/loaderhz.png
6. Loader http://img62.imagesh...13/loaderhz.png

Use your VK4502 crew, it will save you some rage cells.
I suggest you specialize your crew this way:
1. Repair http://wiki.worldoft...SkillRepair.png
2. Firefighting http://wiki.worldoft...ireFighting.png
3. Camouflage http://wiki.worldoft...lCamouflage.png

Modules:
Armor scheme currently in use
Spoiler                     

Hull:
The frontal armour is nearly impenetrable for all weapons in existence. When you use the terrain to slope the side armour it is just as hard to penetrate. As with all tanks you can try to flank it, but even then there is a chance that your shell will bounce off.

Suspension:
Mausketten – load capacity 191,9t/ Turn speed 15 deg/sec
The maneuverability of a battle ship on land...

Engine:
MB507 – 1750 h.p. / Chance of Fire on Impact 12%
I wonder from where the Germans got an engine equivalent in power to those today? Damn you Ferdinand! Too bad its not enough...
9,26 hp per ton, at least the maus keeps its 20km/h almost constantly .

Radio:
10WSc – range 820m
Great radio! What more can I say.

Turret:
Mausturm (the Germans seem very creative in naming things)
Armour: 220/210/210
Rotation: 16 deg/sec
Review: 460m

The turret is very heavily armored and only tier 9 guns have a chance of penetrating it frontally. Do know that you MUST slope it in order to bounce tier 10 guns.

Guns
Posted Image
Accurate, good damage, slow RoF and decent penetration. Not a bad gun. Technically there is also another 75mm gun, but it will work ina future patch. Do know it penetrates more with APCR than S70 with APCR, giving the Maus an edge in Clan Wars.

Comparison with its peers:
Pz. VIII Maus vs. IS 7:
The Mous has far more armour and hitpoints, but lacks the maneuverability of the IS7. Furthermore the Maus can’t hide very well since it has a pretty big profile, unlike the IS7 which is far smaller. The Maus also has a more precise gun, but lacks the penetration of the IS7.
In short:
Maus is the ultimate bully tank, IS-7 is not even close here
IS-7 can flank and maneuver, these words don't exist in a Maus driver's vocabulary
Maus has 1000hp more...

Pz. VIII Maus vs. T30
The Maus has armour, which the T30 traded for its god-killer gun. The T30’s gun is perhaps the most serious opponent for the Mous since, several shots will wreak havoc on the tank.
In short:
T30 has a god gun...
Maus has god armor

Historical Maus:
Posted Image
Historically the Pz. VIII Maus never saw action. The Germans only managed to build two prototypes by the end of the war, one of which without a turret. When the soviets closed on the Kummersdorf (say it angrily! Feel German! jk) facility where the two prototypes were housed, the Germans managed to successfully scuttle the completed one. When the facility was in soviet hands, the turret from the destroyed tank was moved to the still intact hull of the other prototype. The tank was then taken to the USSR for tests. However, the soviet tank bureau deemed such a heavy tank worthless in the soviet tank doctrine, which demanded tanks to be around 50-60t at most. The prototype survived the Cold War and is now kept at the Kubinka Tank Museum.

What if?
The fundamental question of whether the Maus would have been effective in battle remains? Here is my plausible answer completely shared by every historian on the planet, as I am awesome:
- If the Maus had entered service with the Wermacht it would have had absolutely no effect on the war, in fact it would have helped the allies. It would have diverted precious resources from the construction of much more effective German tanks like the Panther. A 200t tank would have been a profound target for allied aerial attacks and a 200lbs. bomb would have send the tank and its crew into the grave. The tank’s weight also meant that it would have been unable to travel along most of the bridges in Europe. Another problem that would have plagued the Mous is the suspension. The suspension of tanks like the Tiger I and II was unreliable, that of the Mous would most likely have broken every 5 minutes.

Link to skins:
http://wotskins.word...eavy-tank/maus/

Tweaks I would like the Maus to receive:
-Nerf damage of 12.8 to 480 but buff RoF to to match the same DPM
-Activate the 75mm gun

A person that has faced the Maus many times in both Soviet and US tanks helped me in the making of this - Mariom222 (Im a veteran Maus player)

Engine_of_War #2 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 07:10

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12006 battles
  • [-B_W-] -B_W-
I drove the Maus in Beta and its a beast if slow.

But heres something
Maus vs T95 Gun Motor Carriage (Tier 9 USA TD)
Posted Image

VS

http://www.ecomodeli...G/DRAG-6007.jpg
T95 advantages

T95 has thicker frontal of 305 compared to Maus 200+
T95 carries the gun of the T30 the giant 155 AT mega gun, its more accurate than the T30 (0.33 or something vs 0.35)
pen and damage same as T30 to my experience Ap/gold/HE

disadvantages.

Maus is faster (hard to belive) with 20 compared to 12 on the T95
Maus has thicker armor all the way around  with 185 on sides and something like 160 on rear hull with about 200+ all the way around the turret.

In  straight fight (lets say adverage about 500 meters or something) the T95 will outlast the Maus with its thicker frontal and bigger gun

in close quarters (100 meters) the Maus will have more of an advantage with it "blazing speed" can infact flank teh T95 and hit its 64mm upper side hull. (though in my experience in my T95 a Maus tried that and i could turn with him and keep my front twards him.)

NOW. if both machines are supported with team mates then you have the makings of a epic brawl.

But if a maus and T95 are on the same team and supporting each other? can you say unstoppable forces (massive guns) equiped with immovable object grade armor? they could defend an area from anything bar a massive arty bombardment or a all out attack by a full team of 15.

Assaulting a position the Maus is infact tall enough to shoot over the T95 at targets at range doubling the firepower facing forwards.

The Maus and T95 are massive titans on the feild of battle and both are very powerful in the right hands. but together they are even better.

SkttLes #3 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 09:01

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18032 battles
Nice post. Not much more to say, you've got it right for pretty much everything, though I don't agree with chaning the damage of the 128. Game is far more balanced with the IS4/7 and VK45/Maus doing the exact same damage.

View PostEngine_of_War, on Jul 11 2011 - 07:10, said:

/snip
That thicker armor of the T95 has holes in it, unlike the maus, which no longer has any. It also has 1500 less health. A maus will win 1v1 vs a T95 every time, a fact which is not relevant at all.

OnionTear #4 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 12:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 1752 battles
Got confused with this tank, really can't figure out its play style, if I push, no supporters, if I don't, people will blame me(I always pushing, just assuming people will do so), sometimes I just push in a way by myself, I'm not bossy person, never press "follow me" button, still couldn't win the game when I did every thing in right way(my statistics is not too bad on this vehicle, but still depress me a lot), what shall I do?

DrewTheSchu #5 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 18:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11354 battles

View PostOnionTear, on Jul 11 2011 - 12:09, said:

Got confused with this tank, really can't figure out its play style, if I push, no supporters, if I don't, people will blame me(I always pushing, just assuming people will do so), sometimes I just push in a way by myself, I'm not bossy person, never press "follow me" button, still couldn't win the game when I did every thing in right way(my statistics is not too bad on this vehicle, but still depress me a lot), what shall I do?

Tell people worry about their own freakin tanks.  The Maus is notorious for having backseat drivers, most of which have no clue how the Maus really is.  They expect you to steamroll the entire enemy force solo, and we all know that is just not the case.  

Never charge off alone, and never charge deep (giggity).  The best effective role you have, is front line support.  Follow the heavies to the typical heavy vs heavy confrontation zone (every map has one) and wait for them to show up. Try to ensure you have proper cover from arty since you are the number one arty magnet of all time.  Now you're a sniper.  Pick which ever target is playing peek a boo and wear them down one by one.  Once several (or majority) of their heavies are dead on that side, that's when it's safe to push and you can usually steamroll to victory.

Now if you set up in the normal place and the bulk of the enemy force is taking a different route, then push and push hard towards enemy cap IF there's at least a decent enough force to keep the enemy force out of your cap long enough for you to get to their cap.  But if it's 6 heavies vs 1, then fall back to defend.

BishopActual #6 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 19:34

Private

• Players
  • 2585 battles
Most people think "Oh the Maus is a moving fortress, I dont need to shoot anyone in it.", Incorrect
You should think "Oh, The Maus is a moving fortress with a 128MM Cannon on it"

kampfer91 #7 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 23:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16158 battles
  • [AKAGI] AKAGI
Nice post , i drive a maus too , and It's better than my old IS7  :Smile-playing:
Btw , even the fearsome 155 mm and 152 mm can ding at the maus if you know how to position your maus  :Smile_honoring:
But the 128 mm 's reloading make me feel sad sometime :(
Sometime i want to shout '' Their armor is like paper '' , guess i played Company of Heroes too much  :D

Kersonan #8 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 21:18

Corporal

• Players
  • 3763 battles
+100 on the back seat drivers,   sheesh.   its a fun tank to drive if you totally ignore chat whiel your doing it.

RolandVH #9 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 21:43

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 36259 battles
  • [XMCX] XMCX
I was in a game with two Mause on... the map with the sort of island in the center, whose name I can't remember.

They lead the whole team and sat on the capture point and nobody on the enemy team could stop them, the game was over in three minutes XD

Maus is awesome.

Miko11 #10 Posted Jul 15 2011 - 18:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
why would i equip anything on that hunk of junk? its not worth it because you will just die in two seconds due to arty

Sprayer #11 Posted Jul 15 2011 - 23:39

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9152 battles

View PostMiko11, on Jul 15 2011 - 18:29, said:

why would i equip anything on that hunk of junk? its not worth it because you will just die in two seconds due to arty

Put Spall Liner on it, and you'll live for a whole 2 more seconds!  :Smile_great:

DrewTheSchu #12 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 07:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11354 battles

:facepalmic:  Not if you play it right...

The_Evil_One #13 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 08:45

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6797 battles
Thing I love about the maus is I can ignore most people tier 7 or below.  :D

If used right the Maus is the BEST tier 10 tank for a multitude of reason.

A few things I noticed that people fail to overlook about the Maus. It's damage is the team that is behind it. It's primary strenght is it can drive into fire, absorb tons of shots, and allow teammates to fire without having to worry about being shot because the maus has stolen the spotlight.

Also if you shoot at the weak spots on the front of the IS7 and the T30 you can kill them VERY easily compared to the huge PITA they are going to have killing you if you turn your maus at a 45 degree angle.

On my maus I run, rammer, tool box, and spall liner. My crew is at 100% repair skill so my tracks come back in 2 seconds flat. I've had people die against me cause they thought they could track me and try to flank me in order to kill me. I've taken on multitudes of types of mediums by myself and come out on top many times. I've also taken on IS7's solo and killed them. The only thing I fear now is a good enemy arty player, a good wolf pack of mediums, a hulled down t30, and a good tier 9 TD player. Other than that most other things don't concern me.

hectorjr21 #14 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 08:51

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15580 battles
  • [SPIDY] SPIDY

I think that we can all agree that this guy needs to uninstall ASAP.

eyman #15 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 17:39

Private

• Players
  • 5155 battles

View PostOnionTear, on Jul 11 2011 - 12:09, said:

if I push, no supporters, if I don't, people will blame me(I always pushing, just assuming people will do so), sometimes I just push in a way by myself, I'm not bossy person, never press "follow me" button, still couldn't win the game when I did every thing in right way(my statistics is not too bad on this vehicle, but still depress me a lot), what shall I do?

This. So pissed off with people who blame me for losing a battle. I am one tank in a team of 15. Your flank of heavies failing on the other side of the map is not my fault.

Lert #16 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 10:19

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44728 battles
See sig. Maus is a force multiplier.

Weak1ings #17 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 14:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15494 battles

View PostEngine_of_War, on Jul 11 2011 - 07:10, said:

NOW. if both machines are supported with team mates then you have the makings of a epic brawl.

But if a maus and T95 are on the same team and supporting each other? can you say unstoppable forces (massive guns) equiped with immovable object grade armor? they could defend an area from anything bar a massive arty bombardment or a all out attack by a full team of 15.

what if there were repair and recovery vehicles? lol you could turn ur back on a Maus as modified 2802s come in and repair the Maus fully!

Weak1ings #18 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 14:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15494 battles
View PostMiko11, on 15 July 2011 - 07:29 PM, said:

View Posthectorjr21, on Jul 16 2011 - 08:51, said:

I think that we can all agree that this guy needs to uninstall ASAP.
aye he could just give his Maus and ALL his other tanks to me! and id be fine

Weak1ings #19 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 14:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15494 battles

View PostThe_Evil_One, on Jul 16 2011 - 08:45, said:

Thing I love about the maus is I can ignore most people tier 7 or below.  :D
Not L71 Tiger i think the Tiger can pierce its side...
:D

Glythe #20 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 02:38

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20799 battles
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH

View PostCharcharo, on Jul 05 2011 - 12:32, said:

Modules:
Armor scheme currently in use
Spoiler                     

Hull:
The frontal armour is nearly impenetrable for all weapons in existence. When you use the terrain to slope the side armour it is just as hard to penetrate. As with all tanks you can try to flank it, but even then there is a chance that your shell will bounce off.

Guns
Posted Image
Accurate, good damage, slow RoF and decent penetration. Not a bad gun. Technically there is also another 75mm gun, but it will work ina future patch. Do know it penetrates more with APCR than S70 with APCR, giving the Maus an edge in Clan Wars.

Pz. VIII Maus vs. T30
The Maus has armour, which the T30 traded for its god-killer gun. The T30’s gun is perhaps the most serious opponent for the Mous since, several shots will wreak havoc on the tank.
In short:
T30 has a god gun...
Maus has god armor
Tweaks I would like the Maus to receive:
-Nerf damage of 12.8 to 480 but buff RoF to to match the same DPM
-Activate the 75mm gun

Let's see just a few things wrong here....
1) The Maus gun has the worst penetration of all tier 10 tanks and this is largely unforgivable. It follows the rest of the game doctrine where the Germans get a rapid fire gun that always seems to lack just a little penetration. Just about everyone agrees it would be fine for the Germans to have a rapid firing gun with less DPM if the penetration was the highest among the three nations. The accuracy difference is largely a joke considering max range is about 650 meters.

2) Front has a weakspot and everyone knows exactly where to shoot.

3) The worst opponent for a Maus is an IS7, not a T30. The T30 will only win if he gets 1-2 shots and hides while the Maus is busy doing something else OR if he can get a hull down position and the Maus is stupid enough to keep fighting him there. The Maus just has too much health to lose to an equally skilled T30 driver. Meanwhile the IS7 is capable of flanking the Maus and retreating without retribution due to its speed. Let's also not forget the T30 is lunch to a team of tier 7 tanks, while the Maus can largely ignore them until he is surrounded. And to the guy talking about a Maus at range vs a T95: The Maus has almost twice as much HP as the T95. If you find one at long range just toss HE at it until it dies. It will be forced to do the same to you and you'll win.

4) Tweaks I would like to see for the Maus:
465mm gun mantlet as per original designs.
More penetration for the 128mm gun, and the original accuracy value of .3 to be restored
500m view range standard (it's the tallest damn tank in the game and deserves to see more because it is so easily seen)

5) As kind of an April's fool prank or something I'd like to see the Maus speed increased to 60kph with insane accelaration; consequently the turret would be removed so the tank can only ram enemies to death.

6) If you voted Enhanced Torsion Bars or None for equipment on your Maus then you are trolling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users