Light Tank Advice

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Zardnaar #1 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 13:23

Major

• Players
  • 20352 battles
I just got WoT a few days ago and I'm having alot of fun. Splashed out for a Pz 38h and bought and extra garage slot with some gold. I've mangaged to grind my way up to an A-20 for the Soviets, and a Hetzer with 105mm gun for the Germans.  I got frustrated with the American lt taks and have recently bought a Panzer 38 (tier III) tank for the Germans. A problem I've noticed though in the A-20 is that I'm getting started in way higher tiers and I have come acroos IS3, Lowe etc in my little pop gun. On a good game I can wait for a bit and make it to the back lines and knock out some artillery although I ave managed to bag the rare medium with it (panzer IV IIRC). I stuck the biggest gun I could on it.

The German lt tanks are reasonably slow and once again higher tier tanks are very commen. they are to slowto scout and to weak to fight their way through to the artillry. I usally try to hide an scout for a bit and try and survive until the end of the game where once a few tanks are knocked out you can sneak after the artillery or capture the base. If your team is losing however you are more or less dead. I'm notvery good with guns and autocannons though so any advice?  I'm used to TDs and fast Soviet models. Bagging a medium and a hummel with the A-20 and a Tiger with my Hetzer are the highlights of my career so far.

GearaDoga #2 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 13:39

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH
Higher tier light tanks, ESPECIALLY the A-20, Leopard and Pz38NA, get treated as scouts by the matchmaker.  This means you get dropped into high tier fights with the expectation that you'll either zip ahead, find a good hiding spot and spot the enemy early so your heavy teammates can kill them from beyond their normal range, or that you'll wait until the battle is raging and attempt to punch through and kill the vulnerable artillery.

That's the plan, anyway.  The actual implementation is much more complicated. In short, unless you hide perfectly the other team just obliterates you, and any decent defender can kill you off before you get to the arty if you run into them at a bad spot.

Grampy #3 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 13:44

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 25056 battles
  • [CS7AO] CS7AO
You are doing it right, and - that's the way it is. Try a Luchs; good tier III tank, faster, better armored and hits harder than the 38 you are using now. Use auto aim and fire against arty when on a fast charge into their base, disengage auto aim when not at high speed.

ttme #4 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 13:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6387 battles
T4 light tanks are by far the hardest tanks to play (when matched with scout role), since you need to understand the maps and characteristics of other tanks better than anyone else. If you can master it, you can do well in any other tanks. Too bad there aren't any high tier light tanks that can be useful in clan wars :S

Ravenbear #5 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3513 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
You are playing it right..
I really hate the way WoT deals with light tanks, they are never meant to take on medium or heavy tanks..

GearaDoga #6 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:16

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH
If you want a German light that actually plays like a light, drop back to the Pz35.  The Pz38 is basically just the same tank with a few more hitpoints and much bigger opponents, the 35 faces much more appropriate foes.  

If you're looking for something that can actually play with the big boys, try the Pz38NA.  It's up next on the path you're already playing, it gets a vital boost from its 50mm gun, it's capable of hitting and maintaining 62kph and it turns well (both when fully upgraded...), it has great viewing range, it's small (easy to hide, hard to shoot), and perhaps most important, it can take an absolutely obscene amount of punishment and still keep fighting.  Mine has taken direct hits from JagdPanthers and IS heavies, even near misses from a GW Tiger, and kept on going.  Module damage almost never happens, even taking hits from monsters like that.

The 50mm gun makes it a threat, too - I've killed JagdPanthers, SU-100's, and at least one GW Tiger (the one that grazed me from before - boy, was he surprised!) with mine, and it's even managed to penetrate frontal armor on an Object 704 somehow! :blink:

Probably the biggest tip for a light tank driver is to become familiar with the heavy tanks you're fighting.  It comes in very handy to know that the JagdPanther has poor side and rear armor, while the SU-152 is thick-skinned all around.  Once you're in close, there's no way in hell a KV can spin its turret fast enough to engage you.  There's a few small spots on the side of the otherwise beastly Ferdinand that are easy to penetrate if you aim for them well.  The IS-3 and IS-4 have slower turrets that you can probably outrun - the regular IS is quick enough to catch you.  And so on...

NinjaFisT #7 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:20

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11160 battles
  • [VETS] VETS

View Postttme, on Jul 05 2011 - 13:55, said:

T4 light tanks are by far the hardest tanks to play (when matched with scout role), since you need to understand the maps and characteristics of other tanks better than anyone else. If you can master it, you can do well in any other tanks. Too bad there aren't any high tier light tanks that can be useful in clan wars :S
There are going to be.... they have plans for tier 5 light (or should I say scout?) tanks almost designed exactly for that role(http://forum.worldof...-making-system/).... Heck the Frenchies even get a tier 7 light tank, which if you look at the current matchmaking chart, won't fair too well at getting stuck with tanks it's own tier...

DaveB #8 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 21:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 899 battles
Noob question...what does "derp" or "derped" mean anyway?

NinjaFisT #9 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 23:08

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11160 battles
  • [VETS] VETS

View PostDaveB, on Jul 05 2011 - 21:31, said:

Noob question...what does "derp" or "derped" mean anyway?
A derp gun is one that does a massive amount of damage, but is quite inaccurate and takes forever to reload.
Hint: use the search bar next time....

Zardnaar #10 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 01:59

Major

• Players
  • 20352 battles
I think I have it figured out now. I replaced a big behemoth og a DERP? on my A-10 for somehting alot faster. I managed to knock out a Jagdpanzer with it and I am kicking but in the Lynx.

GearaDoga #11 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 03:58

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH

View PostZardnaar, on Jul 06 2011 - 01:59, said:

I think I have it figured out now. I replaced a big behemoth og a DERP? on my A-10 for somehting alot faster. I managed to knock out a Jagdpanzer with it and I am kicking but in the Lynx.

Ohhhh, I see!  You had the stubby 76mm L-11 on your A-20.  That's a problem gun - mediocre performance, slow reload, no accuracy.  It's hardly a Derpgun (look at the KV's 152mm for the prime example), but it performs like one without the high damage that makes a Derpgun work.

The A-20 is much better off with the long 45mm or the 37mm autocannon.

And yeah, the Luchs is nice, eh?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users