exploding in hate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Will_of_Iron #1 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:18

Major

• Players
  • 30605 battles
  • [1STBB] 1STBB
I blow up so damn much this game is no longer fun. I stay back, I get flanked. I charge ahead, I get derped. I do a bit of each, someone else does the same with a bigger gun. My average is like 1 kill a game. Discuss.

Viper69 #2 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:22

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
1 kill a game average is not terrible friend. I think you are average and definitely not bad. I have had my great games and those games where I should have not pushed the ready button. My point is for every bad fight you have there is one that you rose to the top either through skill or luck, it does not matter which because both play an equal part in this game, from being lucky to get spawned on team x to having the skill to know to hide while reloading.

B_Gras #3 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:23

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6613 battles
You need to try something new ... try TK play abit less serious.

Will_of_Iron #4 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:38

Major

• Players
  • 30605 battles
  • [1STBB] 1STBB
well at least I have a complex relationship with my Sherman. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. Like right now it just got me 900 experience and 13,000 credits. Other times it gets me 30 experience and 4,000 credits. The same goes for my KV.

ethics_gradient #5 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:43

Major

• Players
  • 42275 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
Some thoughts, in no particular order:

1.  One kill/game is not bad.  It means that your appearance on a team is neutral, assuming that you kill someone your own tier, and you're responsible for the equivalent hp for the entire kill.  If you average one kill per game, and you add a shot or two of damage to an enemy tank, then you have added value to your team.

2.  You are still in the hard part of the grind.  I see that you've reached the KV, but the fun really starts when you get to certain tanks in each line.  For example, the Stug III for the German TD's, the IS for the Russian heavies, the T-29 for the American heavies.

3.  Your total number of wins vs. losses is based in part on luck of the draw.  Sometimes you get good teammates, sometimes not so good teammates.  It appears that you are within the reasonable band of expectation in terms of winning percentage.  Also, as your tanks get better, you'll have a bigger impact on battles and if you're a good player, you can get more kills.

4.  Just try to enjoy each game - one at a time.

teamSG1 #6 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2892 battles
If i die and i have a kill, im content with that. I did my job of eliminating one of the enemy's.

Mikuo_Hatsune #7 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 14:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 4287 battles
there will be days where you get smashed and days where you somehow get Top Gun

MadMax64 #8 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 15:10

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3029 battles

View PostMikuo_Hatsune, on Jul 05 2011 - 14:44, said:

there will be days where you get smashed and days where you somehow get Top Gun

I get the same thing.  Luck is a big factor in this game.  So many random variables when you have player vs. players.

Will_of_Iron #9 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 15:23

Major

• Players
  • 30605 battles
  • [1STBB] 1STBB
I've actually only gotten 1 or 2 awards like that ever. The most kills I have ever gotten in a game is 6 and my armor isn't good enough to bounce all that much. I'm looking forward to the E-100 so I can take that monster out for a little test drive through the enemy base. The IS series looks ok but I think I'll actually go for a T-54 or something. Not quite sure yet. At this point I cause more amusement for the enemy then for myself, lol.

Zakume #10 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 16:46

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31445 battles

View Postethics_gradient, on Jul 05 2011 - 14:43, said:

Some thoughts, in no particular order:

2.  You are still in the hard part of the grind.  I see that you've reached the KV, but the fun really starts when you get to certain tanks in each line.  For example, the Stug III for the German TD's, the IS for the Russian heavies, the T-29 for the American heavies.

Wal, KV's and KV-3s are awesome. Personally I didn't like the IS and IS-3 all too much.

bobdawonderweasel #11 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 16:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20224 battles
If you are fixated on kills then I can understand your frustration.  

My goal is to look at all my stats in a battle.  If I see that I've damaged several tanks or spotted them then I've done my job (working with a PzKpfw35(t)here).  I particularly like to hit an enemy tank (don't care if I damaged it or not) but it forces him to move... right into the line of fire of my larger teammates!!

Another way to look at it is:  Some days your the pigeon some days your the statue.  B)

DaveB #12 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 18:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 899 battles
Deleted by author.

whiterice #13 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 19:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13788 battles
I find that at the middle tiers games can get frustrating.  For every game you have where your KV is top dog you'll have 3 where you're middle of the road at best.  I still chuckle when I see them in my IS-4.  My primary tanks are T9 and T8 and a T6 arty, so usually I find myself in the same kind of matchups all day, and sometimes I'll end up with 0 or 1 kill, others I'll end up with 5.  This game has a wonderful way of frustrating the CRAP out of me where I'll get totally destroyed for like 3-4 matches and have to walk away for a bit, but then there are times when I'm just on a roll and loving it.  The point I'm making is, the higher tiers are more predictable and can be more fun.  Tough it out, you'll be happy you did.

Captain_DirtyLeotard #14 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 00:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32458 battles
The difference between you and a higher rate player overall are the small decisions you make on the battlefield. You may not be interested in your rating at all and this is okay too. However, you have not understood the limitation of the vehicles you are fighting with. Some are much more difficult to use then others for many reasons, team composition, and matchmaking are all things that effect the overall outcome of your match.  However, your personal game play and effort will impact how well you do.

I just looked at your profile and agree with another poster in this thread that you really dont have a nice stand out tank in your garage yet. Before you even give one a chance you switch to another and its like starting the learning curve all over again. Learn your tanks by understanding your weaknesses first.  Ask yourself how would I attack me if I was in the other tank nearby. You may even predict their movements.

Couple of quick tips in pug matches:

1) Camping is rampant at the beginning of each match.  They are looking to kill the 1 or 2 lone rushers coming for the arty.  Everyone at this stage of the game is licking their chops for this free kill.

2) Throw out all logic when in these matches as it pertains to strategy on a certain map.  If you expect an attack at a certain point just remember murphys law. People dont care about what happens in these matches usually and will camp or rush where it normaly is not done.

3) Tread carefully, let someone else take the lead, let them spot the enemy or take fire, and jump on what they find.

4) Be aware that there is a higher power on the battle field, her name is artillery.  Get one yourself to try out but my point is to stay in a position where you cannot be shot on directly by artillery.  Slow moving targets are what they tend to look for and remember they will aim their guns at spots where people will commonly tread not giving you a chance to know what the hell even happened.  Get up next to those buildings, hug those rocks, and try not to get spotted in the open. Move from cover to cover and only if you have a scout ahead of you.  Ask yourself when there are other enemy tanks around, "Am I in a spot where artillery can just grapes the heck out of me and steal my lunch money?"  If so you are in a very bad spot and should not have gone there in the first place.

5) Lights generally have better spotting power because they can close the distance fast and duck under cover before your aiming recticule is small enough. Mediums are generally the best spotters because they have huge view range, can do some damage, and take a hit.  Heavys are blind by themselves as you will get owned by mediums.  My stupid Ram II can kill a KV in 30secs, thats how easy it is to hurt your big hunk of a giant steal coffin ;p.  There are many other small high penetration tanks that can do this and if they can see you before you see them its not going to go well for you.

Work on these things and come back to let us know how the changes you've made have improved your game play experience.

XCSkier #15 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 03:06

Private

• Players
  • 4418 battles
I dont usually respond to these things much, but I think I've got something worthwhile to add.  

Will_of_Iron, I'm gonna be honest.  I suck at these games.  Pick any gaming system (Playstation, Xbox, Computer, whatever...) and any game and odds are I will get my butt kicked almost every time I try to play against another person (or the computer often enough).  In World of Tanks, I'm right in the same boat as you.  I've only had more than 1 kill in 3 games, with a max kills of 4, the other 2 games I only got 2 kills.  One of the times I got 2 kills it was because one tank rammed me and HE died!  But I laugh at myself for it, and then I watch to see what the better players are doing and try to learn from them.  Plus I just look at the games where I did better and think about what I did that seemed to work.  Slowly but surely I'm starting to survive more games and do better.  Just be patient.

Finally, others have said this too, but I'll add it again cuz its absolutely true; don't take it so seriously, its a computer game, not real life.  

Best of luck!

kin3 #16 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 14:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28201 battles
Also remember it's the damage you do and not necessarily the number of kills. Do a lot of damage and get xp. If you were the last person to shoot a tank and get the kill doesn't it will get you more xp.

Optimus_Ares #17 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 15:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19239 battles
Get yourself a T29, upgrade it. All your worries will be over :)...

T_om #18 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 16:08

Captain

• Players
  • 15521 battles
OP, you do realize that kills have nothing to do with your score, right?  Your score is based entirely on damage done, scouting bonus, and cap bonus.  No points at all for kills except the damage amount you did to kill them.  And it is increased when you damage tanks in a higher tier than yourself.

You will score higher in this game by damaging a series of higher tier tanks than by taking out a bunch of cannon-fodder targets with only a few hit points left.

Tom

Will_of_Iron #19 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 16:28

Major

• Players
  • 30605 battles
  • [1STBB] 1STBB
well yes I realize that actually killing a tank doesn't effect anything. It's all damage though. For example, if I 1 shot a Lee with the KVs 107, then I get all the damage points, therefore the kill is entirely mine, unless someone else spotted it. The most experience you can get is if you detect, and kill, a 100% enemy that is above you in class. That doesn't happen too often though. I usually manage to get anywhere from 50 to 2,200 (if I'm lucky as sin) in experience per game. That's a huge variation. My last few games haven't been going so well but so far today I've already bagged 1,800 in a game. Now that I bought my Panzer 4, I need to earn around 500,000 for a KV-1s or 900,000 for a KV-3, ugh.

Actually today I hit a hetzer 1 time with my KV and sent him down to 1% health. Then I hammered a KV-3 down 20% or so. While I was escaping, I finished off a T-34. That all got me that 1,800 exp. Now I can unlock a KV-3, or research a KV-1s in a game or 2. Too bad that KV-3 killed me.

DV_Currie_VC #20 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 16:35

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 61519 battles
  • [RS] RS
You've got a SU-85B. Get the SU-85, upgrade and put some modules on it (rammer, crew vent, binos or cam net), get the 107mm, get your crew to 100%, cam to 100%, enjoy killing many vehicles.

I have a reaper 8 in this TD. It's freakishly powerful for its tier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users