exploding in hate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

sampak #21 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 21:43

Captain

• Players
  • 13043 battles
  • [DTD] DTD
Have a look at my survival rate and average experience, and other stats, you'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and forget about all your complaints and worries in this game.

brian333 #22 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 00:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5764 battles
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest something nobody else seems to have thought about:

Go back down the tiers to the tank you had the most fun with.

Seriously. Here's why:

1) If it was fun back then, it may help to maintain your interest in a game that has become frustrating for you now.

2) It will offer you a chance to see the lower tier players in a new light. With the lessons you've learned in higher tiers, you can easily improve your performance in the lowers.

3) It will give you the chance to practice the skills you find difficult in higher tier tanks with less danger and lower repair bills.

4) You can bank credits and free exp for later.

5) You can become a teacher of the lowbies, explaining why some things work and others don't in the tiers they have yet to achieve, and by doing so review and analyze the logic of your own lessons to improve your own decision-making skills. Explaining 'why' to others may cause you to re-think some of your basic assumptions.

There is a certain 'law' of bureaucracies which applies to this situation: The Peter Principle http://en.wikipedia....Peter_Principle

If this theory applies in your case, you may simply have moved up the ladder too fast or too far, without adequate preparation for your new role. The remedy for this is not to quit, (as this will permanently end your improvement,) but to take the time to re-learn the lessons you may have missed in your rapid rise up the ladders.

As a perennial Tier 1 player, (1300+ battles in an MS-1,) I have seen many players who were less than competent tankers move on up to higher tiers where they hoped to learn the lessons they would need to excel. Sadly, the primary lesson is, if you play with the big dogs, expect to get bitten.

Think of it this way: professional fighters don't hit a few guys and roll up to Vegas in a limo looking for the title belt. They have many years of training and fighting in amateur fighting organizations before they ever step into the professional ring.

Now for a question of my own: Why are there no training companies? By this I mean, to allow low-tier players to either join companies provisionally or to join companies intended solely as training mechanisms for regular companies, with the lower tier members not counting against the total membership allowed by the rules, but excluded from official WoT functions they would not ordinarily be a part of, (Conquest, for example, which requires Tier 5 achievement to play.) As designated trainees, they would have access to higher tier players who have a vested interest in making them better players who could in time become fully participating company members.

Wallachia #23 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 01:11

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 930 battles

View PostWill_of_Iron, on Jul 05 2011 - 14:18, said:

I blow up so damn much this game is no longer fun. I stay back, I get flanked. I charge ahead, I get derped. I do a bit of each, someone else does the same with a bigger gun. My average is like 1 kill a game. Discuss.

You know, this seems more to be your fault than the game's.

FlatCat #24 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 01:36

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11878 battles
I think my biggest key to victory is putting down the Cheetos bag during game play, For some reason that helps me a lot.

Now for your help get a good tier 4 or 5 tank and practice you will get more kills and feel better. I just play for fun so
I'm easier going then most if clan wars ever goes live and is good. Then its on...

T_om #25 Posted Jul 12 2011 - 18:05

Captain

• Players
  • 15521 battles

View PostFlatCat, on Jul 07 2011 - 01:36, said:

I think my biggest key to victory is putting down the Cheetos bag during game play, For some reason that helps me a lot.

As a fellow member of The Order Of The Orange Hand I need to point out to you that your membership can be revoked for posting such heresy as that.

Tom

franker54 #26 Posted Jul 12 2011 - 18:30

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20681 battles
I wouldn't worry too much about the number of kills/game you get.  There are so many ways to be useful to your team, and kills are only 1, I never worry about how many kills I have...A dead tank is a dead tank no matter who gets the kill, if you have done some damage then you have done your job.  If you spotted a tank and a team mate kills it, you have done your job.  I've had lots of 0 and 1 kill games and lots of multi kill games..you have to look at the overall result of your game to determine if you did well or not,  Wins and losses, kills or no kills are not the stats that matter in determining that.  Did you have fun in said battle, for me I hate the battles that end lopsided one way or the other..nothing worse than winning or losing 15-3 or 3-15...battles like that are boring...battles that are close are fun and player skill can really influence battles..keep tanking and don't take your stats too seriously, especially in random battles, things are just too unpredictable in randoms..

Captain_Locke #27 Posted Jul 12 2011 - 18:57

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 22526 battles
  • [SCRAM] SCRAM
The first thing to learn i nthis game is how to effectivly shoot. How to lead people when they're moving, how to be patient and take the shot when you know it will hit. If you can't hit now, with your 30Rpm gun, imagine when you get a 4.5rmp gun.

Second you start to learn how to effectivly use your armor, where to go, how to use terrain to your advantage..

Lastly, you learn how to not rely on your armor (american mediums are great at teaching you this :P) and how to be where you're needed, when to pull back... tactics.

It will come, just don't rush for that all mighty is-4 and be one of those retards that never learned how to play.

In beta it was around the 3-4k battle mark that my gameplay just 'clicked'

vitalis #28 Posted Jul 12 2011 - 19:13

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9023 battles
  • [NORN] NORN

View PostWill_of_Iron, on Jul 05 2011 - 14:18, said:

I blow up so damn much this game is no longer fun. I stay back, I get flanked. I charge ahead, I get derped. I do a bit of each, someone else does the same with a bigger gun. My average is like 1 kill a game. Discuss.

Ok, first off, in your sherman what gun are you using?

I know common sense and historical reality would tell you to use the 76mm...  But this is WoT where HE is king for some reason  <_<   So the 105mm infantry support gun is the way to go.  You will derp anything your tier on down with it quite horribly.  I had some seriously brutal games with my sherman where I traversed the battlefield like some ancient god of war derp gunning all the wimpy tanks that should have stayed home.  I also have made T1 HT and KVs miserable by the incessant pounding I gave them.

Also, and this is the biggest tip I can offer to anyone.  Be a gentleman, let others go first.  I.e., never ever ever be the first tank to engage, follow your heavies out, follow the go-karts out.  Hang around your arty for a minute or two to pound enemy go-karts.  If the enemy is engaged with your heavies, flank flank flank.

That sherman can very well be some of the most fun you will have in the game, you just have to know how to treat her.

daved12 #29 Posted Jul 12 2011 - 20:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17301 battles
next time try to attack :Smile-izmena:

Rackminster #30 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 14:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3264 battles
Try out a T-46 and learn to survive with it ...

I agree with a previous poster, though.  It's a matter of learning your role, your tank, and your playstyle.  My first few rounds with the T-46 were horrible.  I have gotten better with time.  My "average" experience per round is just 126 - but I typically get 300+ with my T-46, and often have 5,000+ silver with 600 in repairs.

Interestingly, though, it had a stronger impact on my game with the T-26.  Suddenly I was a demi-god in those Tier II rounds - averaging 4 kills and living through half of the combats, even taking down Medium tanks 1 on 1 by knowing how to move around them and where to shoot.  My highest experience per combat is with the T-26 at 617, and I achieved "Top Gun" in a round with 6 kills using the same.

I look forward to getting into the T-28 so that my game with the T-46 will improve in the same way.  I can't imagine a flimsier Medium than that, but I'm really looking forward to it.  I just need to save another 100,000 silver and not buy that Camouflage Netting I've been eyeing...

ratpak #31 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 14:42

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26766 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
the problem is players do not play as teams. There are three types of players, team players, Rambo's and Chicken Littles.
Team players are just that, they play as a unit and work with each other.  usually platoons are a factor in team play or the
fact that you actually have people on your team with an IQ. Rambo's are those that think they are invincible and go out on
their own just to get killed and complain nobody helped them. Chicken Littles are the ones who camp back and watch while
others do the work and die because they don't want to get hit.  If you do not play as a team in this game you will usually lose.
The problem may not be you, but the team you get on, full of Rambo's who go out and die one by one while the Chicken Littles sit
back and watch only to be killed one by one at the end of the match.

edit: had to add this, if at the beginning of the game you have a bunch of tanks running into each other at the start of the game
it's a clue you may not have the most intelligent players on your team.

2_minutes_hate #32 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 21:56

Captain

• Players
  • 10545 battles
  • [ADP] ADP

View Postratpak, on Jul 14 2011 - 14:42, said:

edit: had to add this, if at the beginning of the game you have a bunch of tanks running into each other at the start of the game
it's a clue you may not have the most intelligent players on your team.

LOL glad someone said it. crash bang boom "you ran into me" "no you ran into me" lets type about it for 3 min while the enemy advances

soldierx1 #33 Posted Jul 15 2011 - 05:16

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 18301 battles
  • [VAST] VAST
I think that the major problem is that people come from Halo, COD, and other popular FPS's with the mindset that this game is the same thing. Kills are only a means to lower the enemy teams dps output or keep them from capping/spotting/flanking you, they don't mean anything beyond that. There is no kill stealing, this is a team game. That being said damage is what is important in this game and you are heavily rewarded for it. World of Tanks is about strategy and team work, something that frequently lacks from the previously mentioned FPS games. Also it seems a lot of people try to grind past tanks far to fast. I personally find that by the time you've unlocked the next tank you should have just begun to understand how it's played (this is different for higher tiers since it takes much longer to get to the next tier, so for those you should master them about halfway through the grind). My point is that you aren't getting enough practice with the tanks before moving on.

If you would like to learn how to play the game better check out the tutorial/guide forums.

w4golf #34 Posted Jul 15 2011 - 19:18

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7887 battles

View PostZakume, on Jul 05 2011 - 16:46, said:

Wal, KV's and KV-3s are awesome. Personally I didn't like the IS and IS-3 all too much.

Zakume, my clan brother, I agree so far (only on maxed IS so far).  KV's rock, and the IS thusfar is... well, it just doesn't feel right.  Nice gun for short-medium range and tier 7 and below targets.... good mobility for a heavy... low profile, minimal armor for a heavy... but something about it just doesn't flow for me, perhaps it is so long playing the German Heavies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users