Oga's kawaii guide to the Type 61

Japan Type 61 Medium Tank Japanese Medium Tier 9 IX Type 61 Japanese

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the Type 61 (30 members have cast votes)

What do you think of the Type 61?

1. Kawaii-desu!! :3 (In other words, You love it so much) (9 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Decent (17 votes [56.67%])

Percentage of vote: 56.67%

3. Baka!! (4 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Which gun do you prefer to mount?

1. 105mm Rifled Gun (24 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. 90mm Type 61 Gun (Pew-Pew) (6 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

What tactics do you employ on the Type 61

1. Flanker (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Sniper (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. Medium range Support (5 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Choices 1 and 2 (3 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. Choices 1 and 3 (4 votes [13.33%])

6. Choices 2 and 3 (4 votes [13.33%])

7. All 3 (10 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Is the Type 61 a keeper?

1. Yes (13 votes [43.33%])

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

2. No (17 votes [56.67%])

Percentage of vote: 56.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Yuno_Gasai__ #1 Posted Oct 18 2015 - 07:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21550 battles

"My favorite tank for a time was the Centurion 7/1 or My beautiful 'Waltzing Matilda'. Then one day, I met the Type 61, also known to me as 'Tsukiumi 61' and I loved her more than anything else." 

Lately I've been playing a lot of Type 61 games. So far, It feels to me like I've found a new love. But this is not the reason for me to set aside my Centurion 7/1 because there's two perfect girls for me.

Pros and Cons of the Type 61.

Pros:

+ Great Gun depression

+ Excellent Top Gun; 105mm Rifled Gun has APCR as the regular ammo

+ Has one of the best DPMs for a Tier 9 Medium 

+ Decent Mobility and Maneuverability

Cons:

- Armor is a no-no, especially that you're quite a big target

- Camo is terrible; Prone to be an arty-magnet

- Engine is easily damaged

- Elevation is lacking

- The gun can sometimes behave mysteriously

- Low Ammo Capacity

Suggested Set-up:

Vert Stab, Rammer and Vents

- Having this kind of set up makes the use of the tank comfortable. The reload time is 8.25 sec. This set up, along with BiA as the first crew skill will reduce the reload at least to make the reload less painful. Compared to the Centurion 7/1, The Type 61 has a much lesser reload time and a much better DPM, one of the factors that made me love the tank. IMHO, The Type 61 is much more comfortable to play with only the armor to worry about as well as artillery.

Crew Skills: 

Commander: Sixth Sense, BiA, Camo, (4th Skill, Your choice)

Gunner: BiA, Snap shot, Camo, (4th Skill, Your choice)

Driver: BiA, Smooth ride, Camo, (4th Skill, Your choice)

Loader: BiA, Safe Stowage, Camo, (4th skill, Your choice)

I basically took the same crew skills on from the 7/1 since I basically play the Type 61 like a Centurion only that I have to set my distance away. Though I would advise to get Sixth Sense first because you don't know when you'll be spotted and the next thing you know, You'll be a wreck caused by arty shot. 

UPDATE: It would be advisable to get Camo first because as this tank has a very fugly camo rating. For 4th skill, Take repairs.

How do I play the Type 61?

I basically play the Type 61 like a Centurion 7/1 with paper armor. You'll have to play it cautiously for the tank to redeem its performance in game.

Firstly, I use the Type 61 as a sniper. It retains the same gun depression from the Centurion 7/1, meaning that you can only expose your turret. However, Your armor is paperish so expect that you'll bounce less shots,It is however, compensated for a very good DPM which is one of the redeeming features of the Type 61. Unlike the Centurion 7/1, It can fire rounds faster but the gun can sometimes play tricks on you so you'll have to be sure that you're aiming on the middle. Stay back, make use of cover and make every shot count. 

Second, I use it as a flanker but only in certain situations when I am able to outgun an enemy. The Type 61 isn't meant to be a brawler since your armor is so thin that anything can go through it. However, When a situation favors your side, Then you will be able to take down your opponent with ease.

View on the Type 61:

Gun: There are two selections for the gun on the Type 61; The 90mm and the 105mm Rifled Gun. The 90mm has a whopping 4 sec reload with top turret so for those who prefer a lower reload time with average alpha, then this is the gun for you. The 105mm on the other hand has an 8 second reload but 1 second lesser than the 105mm on the 7/1. The main round is APCR for this tank. You can still expect the same penetration from the 7/1 but with a 10mm difference. The 7/1 has 268 and the Type 61 has 258. The Gun Depression is basically the same as in the Centurion 7/1, making it one of the capable sniping mediums coupled with the gun and dpm. 

The DPM is another thing to note. It has a very good DPM for a Tier 9 Medium and it also reloads faster than the 7/1. However, The gun can sometimes behave very weird because you can't expect that your shot will go on the middle of your reticle. This is one of the downsides of the tank because not all of your shots will go straight to the middle of the reticle so you have to really play cautiously or else you'll be wasting a round and the Type 61 has a really low capacity so make every shot count.

Mobility: The Mobility is a big improvement over the Centurion 7/1 but slower than the Leopard PT A. The Type 61 is basically a hybrid of the Centurion 7/1 and the Leopard PT A. Having a balanced speed as well as a good gun. You are much able to maneuver around the battle so flanking with the Type 61 is so much better than in the Centurion 7/1 and that you are also able to retreat faster. 

Armor: Armor is non existent. It has the gun performance of the Centurion 7/1 while it has the armor and a speed of the Leopard PT A. You'll bound to be a very fine arty shot so expect that the enemy arty will high roll you or be one shotted. You'll have to be cautious when playing this tank or else you'll end up a smoking wreck.

Survivability: For every Type 61 driver, He or She should know how to play this tank for its gun to remain in the game. I will be neutral on the survivability rate in the Type 61. The tank should be played with caution because you're pretty much an arty-magnet and you could expect a one shot especially those from a high tier. To retain your gun in the game, simply grab every opportunity of cover then fire back once the enemy misses or fires a different target. 

Advice: Never BRAWL with a Type 61

Conclusion: 

Is the tank a keeper?  IMHO, Yes, Just remember its strengths and weaknesses and this tank can be very rewarding indeed. Always use cover to cover and grab every opportunity to shoot at the enemy. Make every shots count and avoid close engagements. Your armor won't be very helpful for someone who thinks he's using a T-54 or a Patton. In my book the 105mm Rifled Gun is the best gun choice for it. You can count on that. Your dangerous alpha and DPM will surely cause discomfort. 

In fact, I'd like to call my Type 61 "Tsukiumi 61" because it looks cute when looked at and pleased but can be deadly once angered. 

I hope this review has been helpful somehow and please let me know about how much you love your Type 61. 

Here's a video that I made on how I got my Mastery Badge on the Type 61.

TheWarsawPact #2 Posted Oct 18 2015 - 08:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13190 battles
  • [D-DR] D-DR
Interestingly enough, (my stats are mediocre in it since I inherited this account from family and havent put enough priority on fixing high tier stats for those who look through my statistics) I find Type 61 as one of the easier and fun to play tanks in my garage. Thank you for the information!

Yuno_Gasai__ #3 Posted Oct 18 2015 - 08:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21550 battles

View Post_MakiseKurisu, on Oct 18 2015 - 14:16, said:

So basically a M46 that trades gun handling/ camo/ DPM for much better penetration?

Sounds fairly decent (:

Indeed it is, The Type 61 is a hybrid of a 7/1 and a PT A but compared to both, 61 is very tricky to play sometimes.

View PostShiroyama_Yuki, on Oct 18 2015 - 15:16, said:

Interestingly enough, (my stats are mediocre in it since I inherited this account from family and havent put enough priority on fixing high tier stats for those who look through my statistics) I find Type 61 as one of the easier and fun to play tanks in my garage. Thank you for the information!

If you need help with the Type 61, I can always platoon with you on high tiers any maybe you can learn a few things. We're both average players and I understand you.

Trombose #4 Posted Oct 18 2015 - 08:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 40679 battles

This week I free xp'd to the AMX 30 tier 9 and the Type 61, and so far the AMX has been a complete nightmare, the gun refuses to hit anything unless it is absolutely 100% aimed in (practically every other tank I have can hit targets about 80% of the time within 200m with a half aimed reticle, I've hit 2 of these shots in the AMX and they where both under 50m, I have also missed many shots doing this under 50m).

So I shelved the AMX and decided lets try out the Type 61, maybe dropping all of this tourney gold wont be such a waste if this thing is ok, and I have to say I really like it, decent mobility, great gun, decent view range, it is going to be a pretty easy grind to the tier 10.

I however won't be keeping it, I already have the E50, WZ 111 1-4 and WZ 120 for tier 9's, and when I become unlazy I am going to finish the last few missions for the T55a.

The tank reminds me of a M46 with a worse platform / turret but a better gun.

RAZORS_EDGE_ #5 Posted Oct 18 2015 - 09:00

Major

• Players
  • 31954 battles
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G

I liked mine a lot more than I like my STB-1.

Something else worth noting: The stock gun is perfectly adequate penwise and has a higher RoF and DPM than the top gun. 

Edited by RAZORS_EDGE_, Oct 18 2015 - 09:00.

Uncle_Death #6 Posted Oct 18 2015 - 09:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 14709 battles

+1

Nice tank guide friend. Still grinding the tank myself, and I'm not really sure if I should get the final engine or not since its only a 34hp upgrade. It doesn't really seem that worth it to be honest. 

EdibleEmpire #7 Posted Oct 19 2015 - 01:02

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 26127 battles

I'm also still grinding the tank too - not a bad tank by any means. Not a keeper for me personally but the 105, the gun depression make up for that lack of armor (for me at least)...

Of course I have had several games where I get one shot by an arty shot, I've been hit by T49s who pen my front (yay). But still when I avoid having that happen - it's a fun tank to work with.

Philaphlous #8 Posted Oct 19 2015 - 15:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13886 battles
I play this tank exclusively because I'm working toward the stb-1. For me these a few cons,
1. The top gun has terrible rng. I get a decent about of ghost shells or shells not even getting close to the aim circle. If you plan to snipe, plan to miss about 25-40% of the time.
2. Camo is crap. Even with a crew that all has camo skills at 100% I find myself getting spotted incessantly. It's quite stupid really, even times behind bushes or buildings and I'm spotted. Makes  absolutely no sense to me.
3. The tank is actually quite slow. I find it quite a challenge to retreat once I've realized my side is getting overrun.

Pros:
1. You actually can bounce a decent amount of shotsshots... Ive surprised myself with either front hull or turret bounces. I just lol
2. Dpm. Right now I'm averaging about 2200dpg with it which I think is quite good. I've had 8 high calibers in the past 3 days... If you are smart, there's no reason why you can't get over 3k dpg. My best is 5800.

21Blackjack #9 Posted Oct 24 2015 - 00:49

Major

• Players
  • 20242 battles
I don't get why the camo is so low on this tank, surely its not bigger than the Americans?

kermitfrg #10 Posted Nov 16 2015 - 14:33

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 13076 battles
I can't seem to make this tank work.... I loved the STA-1 and finished with a 55 win rate on it. But after 111 battles on the type 61 I have 39% w/r.... The number of losses I have in this is incredible :( 

kermitfrg #11 Posted Nov 16 2015 - 15:55

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 13076 battles
Good review by the way Kunieda! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users