T25 AT - Guide to dominating with this USA TD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
149 replies to this topic

Asyranok #1 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 22:40

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24693 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY
Guide to devastating the battlefield with a T25 AT USA-TD

Now that I have played quite a few games in this vehicle, I can say it is easily one of my top 3 favorite vehicles in the game and deadly when used most effectively. Allow me to give you some tips and hints on effective maneuvers (at least ones that work well for me).

In a previous thread of mine, I posted a poll to judge people’s reaction to this vehicle. Quite a few people said it is a horrible tank. This leads me to strongly believe that they don’t know the ways to optimize this tank’s potential.

Here are its stats, fully upgraded:

840 HP
56 km/h top speed
32 deg/sec turn speed
400m view range
105mm cannon with 198 penetration, 320 damage, and 8.33 rounds per a minute
88mm frontal armor
76mm side armor
38mm rear armor

First, let’s compare it to the other tier 7 TD’s…

-The Jagdpanther has only 10 HP more, 2 more mm of penetration power, 0.24 more rounds per minute, the same turn radius, the same damage, the same view range, less armor, less speed, and a larger silhouette.
-All of this makes the Jagdpanther and T25 AT feel very similar, but they are not as close to one another as you might imagine. The extra speed and extreme acceleration of the T25 AT make it a much deadlier beast. Both of these TD’s have low camouflage coefficients. What makes the T25 AT so much deadlier is its ability to brawl. DO NOT CAMP with this TD! More on that later.
-The SU-152’s slow speed, lower armor penetration, slower reload, and overall protection make it hardly comparable in its potential to dominate the battlefield.

So how do you use the T25 AT?

1. DO NOT CAMP! This tank is too incredibly mobile. To camp is to do a disservice to the tank and your team. You should be at the front lines with your allies.

2. Positioning is key! This is the ying to the last point’s yang. Get to the front of the battle, but find a nice spot to peek around at the enemy and shoot. You are not a turreted tank and it would be folly to sit at a corner and run around, shoot, and retreat. Instead, find a bush next to a rock and sit in it and shoot. As soon as you are spotted, back up. This is the perfect shoot and scoot tank destroyer.

3. If you crest a hill, remember that armor sloping is on your side! You have 88mm of frontal armor. If you roll over a hill, shoot at the enemy and immediately back up so that your tank slightly points at the sky. This increases your armor slope and has helped me to bounce shots from tanks as high as tier 9. Often I would not do a full retreat, but back up like this to increase my armor slope, then, as I reload I can come back over the hill and shoot again more quickly.

4. This tank has excellent module hitboxing! Don’t expect a lot of damage to your modules. This has been by far the best tank for me requiring sparse usage of consumables. The most common critical damage to your tank will likely be your driver.

5. Your profile is incredibly low! You can hide effectively in small dips in terrain. If you find yourself facing off against a fairly tall heavy or medium tank, don’t be afraid. I have rammed these tanks to incredible effectiveness. I push my barrel into their hull and shoot them over and over until they are dead. They have limited gun depression. Being such a low-to-the-ground tank insures that they have a poor angle on your tank’s armor and will bounce several shots. Meanwhile, you will have the angle to fire at the weakest parts of their hull. The moral of this story is, backing up and hiding is NOT always the best way to handle a situation.

6. That being said, you need to know when you cannot win! Allow me to use an example. I was fighting a game on Lakeville with this tank. Two allies and I were the only ones to go to the city. The enemy sent 3 kv’s, 1 kv-3, a Jagdpanther, and 2 M4 Shermans. I ran into the two M4’s and Jagdpanther right away.

I remembered that my gun is placed more to the right side of my frontal hull, so I hid half of my tank behind a building, with the gun still peaking out. I shot the Jagdpanther 4 times while bouncing 3 shots. Two of his hits were on my gun mantlet, which was the only large part of my tank showing (and strongest-armored part). One M4 had a 75mm cannon and bounced everything. I two-shot him. The third M4 was derping me with the 105mm howitzer; killed him as well.

Then I moved farther into the city. Suddenly I stumbled on three kv’s all at once. A few bricks shot out of my tailpipe as I ducked behind a building. I took a hit and was down to 250 HP. I could sit there and try to get one more hit off before they came around and killed me. But, instead, I chose to run. My speed allowed me to escape and return to base. At this point, I was one of 3 tanks left, vs. these three kv’s. I turned around and pummeled them as they crept up the hill to our cap. Killed every one of them while they were vulnerable out in the open.

I know that was a long story for a simple point. But the point is critical; pick your battles with this tank. Running is ALWAYS an option with this TD.

7. (With the 105mm) You are just as fast as the medium tanks that take an advanced, forward position when a battle starts. Consider going with them. You will suddenly be like a tier 7 medium tank with a gun that wouldn’t be available on a medium tank until tier 9.

8. You need the upgraded suspension to mount most equipment and the best weapon, so getting that early is a must. I would recommend the gun rammer, ventilation, and either the gun laying drive or binocs of either kind. The reason I prefer the enhanced gun laying drive is for the simple reason that I am constantly on the move in this tank.

9. Its camouflage is pretty pathetic. Your enemy will see you virtually the moment you see them. I have been in a bush on Malinovka and had a Tiger II creep across the field. He was out in the open and had seen me and shot me twice before I spotted him. This is a huge reason why camping is a poor use of this tank’s power.

10. (Recent updates have decreased this tanks credit-making abilities) This tank makes money. In fact, the only tank I have that makes more money is the Lowe – and yet the numbers are pretty darn close.

(Due to updates and added crew skills, this information is slightly outdated.) As far as crew skills are concerned, I believe that camouflage should be researched first because your stock values are very low. With 100% camouflage, you have a chance to remain hidden in a bush – at least until firing your gun. Getting the first shot in an engagement can be critical to the outcome of a skirmish. That being said, hiding in bushes should be a stepping stone in the grand scheme of each battle. Don’t stay immobile for too long!

Second, I would research the repair skill. Your tank will repair itself incredibly quick – like medium tank fast. Having the 100% crew skill in this will help, but is not as critical as the camouflage in my opinion.

In closing, play this tank aggressively – like a medium with a partially jammed turret!

I will update this as I think of valid points and interesting strats.

To help understand if I am any good with it and don't simply "think" I'm good, I will post my current stats as of this posting. This way, you can mull over whether my advice is worth taking or not.

Games Played Total: 162
Wins Total: 109
Win Percentage: 67%
Top Gun Awards: 8
Steel Walls: 1

Games played stock: Approximately 40 games. I had a 65% win percentage through those games.
Games played with upgraded 90mm: Approximately 45. Had between a 55-58% win percentage through these.
Games played with 105mm cannon: 77 games. 75% win percentage.

**Added Note #1** Your main cannon is possibly the buggiest cannon in the game. Act like the cannon CAN POTENTIALLY penetrate 198mm of armor. But, at the same time, act like it probably won't. I bounce on tier 3 tanks on their sides, fully aimed in, like I am using a tier 2 cannon. It is also incredibly inaccurate. It may say it has a fantastic 0.33 accuracy rating, but that is a blatant lie. Shoot targets like you are using a 122mm soviet cannon with their 0.37 accuracy. It is one of the most inaccurate cannons of its type in the game.

ADDITIONAL TANK DESTROYER GUIDES:

T95 American Tank Destroyer

T28 American Tank Destroyer

Edited by Asyranok, Aug 14 2012 - 07:15.

FryaDuck #2 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 22:52

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10974 battles
It's an Assault TD.

Lots of fun to play.

Snuzz #3 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 23:00

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3892 battles
I do not know how correct you are but you took the time and effort to make this post.  The T25 is my next tank and I thoroughly enjoyed your post.  

I gave you a positive feedback because some spineless person gave you a negative one without explaining their reason why.

Ajix #4 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 23:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17079 battles
Some good advice, i'm the same rarely camp with this tank. Its fast enough to go from flank to flank to help out where needed. Onething i hate is the camouflage, its bs, should have more of a camo rating due to its low profile but has a worst rating than heavy tanks but is still an awesome TD. Thumbs up devs.

kampfer91 #5 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 00:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 14940 battles
  • [GUNDP] GUNDP
Nice post , i expect no less from Asy  :Smile_honoring:
Still working on the 10.5 , hopefully tommorow i can get it :Smile-izmena:

Getty #6 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 00:58

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14422 battles
  • [RS] RS
Nice write up +1. I skipped this tank, but will prob go back to it, since I dont have any Tier 7 tanks ATM. But from what it sounds like is, she plays like the Tier 3 US TD which I have. Hows it hold up to damage I wonder?

ScoobyDo #7 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 01:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 2489 battles
I don't have the t25 but it is an easy kill when they get tracked as with all tds. So always watch your sides for enemies.

Asyranok #8 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 01:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24693 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY

View Post19kilo20, on Jul 06 2011 - 00:58, said:

Nice write up +1. I skipped this tank, but will prob go back to it, since I dont have any Tier 7 tanks ATM. But from what it sounds like is, she plays like the Tier 3 US TD which I have. Hows it hold up to damage I wonder?

For a tank destroyer, she tends to absorb a fair amount of damage. The tank shakes when it is hit, but often that hit does not damage and seems to be absorbed. Also, it bounces a fair number of hits. And finally, no tank in the game can one shot it without ammo racking it (excluding artillery). With 840 HP, it can even survive an Object 704 hit.

Enduring_Hope #9 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 01:22

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12863 battles
Teeheee, you better not let the "It's a damn tank destroyer!" crowd see your post. :)

On a serious note, you almost exactly described the way some of us played the Jagdpanther.  So with your post in mind, I cannot wait to check out the T25 AT, which I should have either later today or tomorrow (and I'm dumping my M36 Slugger for something that can apparently really move!).

HCGxKaLiBeR #10 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 02:22

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7499 battles
  • [BULLS] BULLS
you forgot it has very good gun depression. It gives you a big advantage when fighting on sloped terrain

Asyranok #11 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 02:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24693 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY

View PostHCGxKaLiBeR, on Jul 06 2011 - 02:22, said:

you forgot it has very good gun depression. It gives you a big advantage when fighting on sloped terrain

I didn't forget it. I just explained as much. Didn't say it in so few words. Based on the tactics I presented, its gun depression should go without saying/ be complimentary to said strategies.

Illusion #12 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 02:30

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16544 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
It needs a buff tbh its got terrorbad armour

MattiasKerensky #13 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 09:17

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5778 battles
  • [-FTC-] -FTC-
Just got my T25, still fully stock with 65% camo crew I brought from my earlier American TD adventures, even stock I love this tank. It's just fun to drive in almost any situation, imho.

Merkava1 #14 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 14:38

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14278 battles
  • [RUS-2] RUS-2
Thanks for the post, very informative!
I am getting T25 soon.

Asyranok #15 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 20:52

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24693 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY
Just wait until you guys get the 105mm. I was incredibly impressed with this tank when it had a 90mm cannon, but fully upgraded it is insane.

Angalacon #16 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 21:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 2173 battles

View Postkampfer91, on Jul 06 2011 - 00:33, said:

Nice post , i expect no less from Asy  :Smile_honoring:
His -real- friends call him "Assy"...

Good writeup Assy, nice job :)

Asyranok #17 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 21:55

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24693 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY

View PostAngalacon, on Jul 06 2011 - 21:32, said:

His -real- friends call him "Assy"...

Good writeup Assy, nice job :)

I prefer "Assy ran okay"!!! :Smile_honoring:

But yeah, most people (for some reason) cannot pronounce (Ah-Seer-Rah-Knock)Asyranok. Those fools  ;)

kaegogi #18 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 23:00

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7873 battles
Really nice write up. This makes me want to drop one of the lines I'm playing now and get into American TD.

I do think you dismissed the SU-152 a little to easily. The 122mm's higher ROF and damage combined with the SU-152's camo bonus can dominate a battlefield pretty nicely.

MemoryReborn #19 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 23:37

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 912 battles
I admit I was throughly surprised by how fast this thing was, and I was chasing down and intercepting fast movers like an Easy Eight. The good gun depression was also very nice. While you can ride close to or behind allies, it may sometimes be better to ride parallel to them. In any case, it's quite mobile for a TD.

I'm still on the upgraded 90mm, but I'm quite pleased with it so far. Two top guns and a Reaper.

Bez #20 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 00:24

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 4187 battles
I only just got it but if it plays like my Jagdpanther (and it sounds like it does) then me and it are going to get along just fine.