Question about crew transfers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

razorseal #1 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 16:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 818 battles
When is it worth it to move the crew from one vehicle to another?

How about category to category? (arty to tank, or light to med or light to heavy etc)

I know there is a relearning process so I'm not too sure...

Thanks!

Will_of_Iron #2 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 16:36

Major

• Players
  • 30264 battles
  • [1STBB] 1STBB
I try to only transfer when I'm going to buy a tank a tier higher in the same class. If you have an SPG loader lying around for an empty heavy tank slot you need to fill though, stick him in! Yes they lose more skill % but by the time you are ready to buy another tank he will be all set to go into the new vehicle all over again. I believe for retraining on the same class you lose 20% of learning. If you transfer between other classes, you lose more. Crew Skill is not majorly important until you get a high tier vehicle and you really need to squeeze every last drop of performance out of your ride. That's when you should also think about buying modules as extra parts. If they have a lock symbol though you can't remove them after you put them on, unless you have 50? gold.

Remember though, crews can't be transferred between nations. It isn't possible to use a KV driver with a Panzer 4.

HighPitch #3 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 16:42

Major

• Players
  • 43469 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
As stated above, to get the most out of your new boat. For example, when I finally got my GW E-Type, I moved my crew from the GW Panther. For a start, merely getting a game in the E-Type is a nightmare, and once you're there the extra crew skill helps a lot.

In summary, when you need a good crew in your new tank and can't really be arsed grinding to it.

razorseal #4 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 16:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 818 battles
So if I have a crew on say wespe at 65% and I put them In a grille, there is no penalty?

Or how about putting my PIII crew at ~80% in a PIV? (also have a 100% crew with some other skills in the Ram-II that I can move if I decide not to keep that tank)

Will_of_Iron #5 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 16:50

Major

• Players
  • 30264 battles
  • [1STBB] 1STBB

View Postrazorseal, on Jul 06 2011 - 16:46, said:

So if I have a crew on say wespe at 65% and I put them In a grille, there is no penalty?

Or how about putting my PIII crew at ~80% in a PIV? (also have a 100% crew with some other skills in the Ram-II that I can move if I decide not to keep that tank)

like I tried to tell you, you lose a certain % every time you retrain. The % is lower when you go from SPG to SPG but it is much higher when you go from medium tank to SPG or vice-versa. I have only trained an SPG loader to work on a medium tank 1 or 2 times if I didn't want to add an extra crew member to my garage or something. You can fire them too though so it isn't really a big deal. Basically if they would train to be higher than 50% it's worth it to swap.

ethics_gradient #6 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 16:51

Major

• Players
  • 41812 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
This is what I learned the "hard" way:

When you transfer a crew from tier to tier within a AFV type, you lose some training, but not huge amounts.  So if you have a 100% crew, moving it from a StuGIII to a JgPZ will cause them to lose 20% (I think) of their training, but this can be recovered relatively quickly.  Either that, or you can spend credits to train them on the higher tier to a higher than usual training percentage.  Any which way you look at it, you want to keep the crew within the same line of AFV's, whether light tanks, heavy tanks, or td's.

Much more important is the skill sets involved.  Once you get a crew to 100%, you start them on skills, and it appears that their skills will accumulate and transfer without any loss.  If you want any hope of a crew with multiple skill sets, you'll want to start them accumulating skills as early as possible.  I didn't take care of my crews when moving up the tiers, so I think I've lost some valuable training and skills.

So, for example, I have a crew on my Tiger.  Ideally, I'd like them to get to 100% training and to start on the repair skill.  When I eventually grind to the TigerII, I'll retrain the crew to the Tiger II, but hopefully by then, they will be at 100% repair, and I can start them working on another skill.

razorseal #7 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 16:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 818 battles
But when They're at tiger I 100% and 100% repair, moving them to KT will make them 80% crew skill with 100% repair?

LGear #8 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 17:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3083 battles

View Postrazorseal, on Jul 06 2011 - 16:56, said:

But when They're at tiger I 100% and 100% repair, moving them to KT will make them 80% crew skill with 100% repair?

That is correct. Repair, Firefighting and Camo skills are not affected by tank transfers. It's pretty much the only reason you'd want to transfer crew in the first place, so you can take advantage of their secondary skills right off the bat.

HighPitch #9 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 17:04

Major

• Players
  • 43469 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Yes, unless you use gold, or credits to maintain their initial 100%. Gold keeps them at 100/100. Credits result in 90/100.

This might help..

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Crew

MrTabs #10 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 17:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11996 battles
  • [ME109] ME109
If you're getting rid of the tank anyway you may as well keep the crew. Retraining a current crew and 'buying' a new crew cost exactly the same.

ethics_gradient #11 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 17:14

Major

• Players
  • 41812 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View PostLGear, on Jul 06 2011 - 17:00, said:

That is correct. Repair, Firefighting and Camo skills are not affected by tank transfers. It's pretty much the only reason you'd want to transfer crew in the first place, so you can take advantage of their secondary skills right off the bat.

It takes a LONG LONG time to build up a crew's skills, so if you want a crew with multiple skills, you have to start early.

GearaDoga #12 Posted Jul 06 2011 - 20:01

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH
You should ALWAYS keep your crews, in my opinion.  Let's assume the worst case scenario: they haven't gained much skill (early tiers), so they don't get any bonus when retraining...  Regardless, your old crew at 50% is exactly the same as a new crew at 50%, and an old, paid crew at 75% is exactly the same as a new crew at 75%  only they keep their battle history (no in game effect, but it's neat to see what they've accomplished overall).  Why ditch the old crew for a new crew with exactly the same performance?

Once your old crew is good enough to start carrying over skill bonuses and secondary skills...  Well, that's a no-brainer, isn't it??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users