Best tier 8 heavy tank?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

30K #1 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 18:15

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 24036 battles
from my experience i have to say the best tier 8 tank would be IS3 since it has everything balanced..good slopped armor,good accurate gun,fast and can hold its own against all the tier 8 tanks and even tier 9 since i happened to take on t34 and is4 quiet a few times  
and did some serious damage! now i also have to say kv5 might be the weakest tier 8 tank but since im a kv5 driver also i must say a good kv5 driver can kill other tier 8 tanks!! when im sometimes in close combat i just ram the other tier 8 tank and aim for the R2D2 spot or change to HE rounds...like this i can kill a 100% king tiger or any other tier 8 tank and kill them...so over all kv5 is very powerful if used right

let the discussion begin =]

theshiyal #2 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 18:44

Captain

• Players
  • 6947 battles
  • [RCON] RCON
hmm... maybe its just because its not elite and such  but i suck with my IS-3. seriously. 16 battles and like 7 kills?  come on.  But I just mounted the new tracks and BL-9 so we'll see.  My Lowe on the other hand...  :rolleyes:   Best battle had Top Gun, 1,996 XP (non doubled, non premium) and 120,000+ credits.   :Smile_harp:   Its modules are Rammers, Coated Optics, and Vertical stabilizors.  Seriously. but only 104 battles 111 kills and a puny 44% victory rate <_<   As to best tier 8 the one i want most is the KT.  Still at VK3601H though for now.  I do love the Lowe's Accuracy though.  Its combo of 500m view range and the ability to hit and reliably pentrate most tanks at that maximum range is to me, Wonderful.  The first Maus I ever met, I took away 60% of his health in about 7 or 8 shots.  He was at the very maximum view range for me because when an IS-3 went around him on the left (they were on the road in Prohorovka, I was at the R.R. tracks) the IS-3 vanished then reappeared in front of him.  I shot at a Panther II who tried to flank our IS-7 and the R.R. crossing then turned back to the Maus.  The last shot I took he was at 3% and I didn't wait for the sights to settle.  :angry:  D@^#$^.  I coulda killed the first Maus I ever saw.  It is an awesome sniper tank.  And yes the stabilizors do help when I'm rushing to cap the enemy base / kill their arty.  I don't think most people expect the Lowe to hit / kill them while it is moving at its top speed broadside to them.  But it usually does  :Smile_honoring:

But best overall?  You got me, I don't know yet.  Let me get 'em all first.

theshiyal #3 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 18:56

Captain

• Players
  • 6947 battles
  • [RCON] RCON
Oh p.s. are we including mediums?  I've seen a couple players tear stuff up with T-44s.  Still don't have one of those yet either.

_232MajorSprint #4 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 18:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
If you know how to play with it, I'd say the M6A2E1 over the IS3 any day, even with the BL-9 but that's just me. I have not tried the others yet but will have a T-32 by the end of the weekend.

Darcel_Jones #5 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 19:02

Captain

• Players
  • 15682 battles
Le Tigre royal,is the best tier 8 imho,the Is 3 is a very close second.Now I would assume we are only talking about the heavies,so yes both the Kv5 and Lowe get honorable mention,but since they are premies they don't count.And both the American tier 8's,again imho,are garbage,I have noticed that they only do well in the most favorable conditions,if shit starts going bad American drivers just seem to quit,I have noticed this time and time again.So yes imho the Tiger2,fully upgraded takes the best tier 8 cake.

TwinMfg #6 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 19:03

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 20090 battles
"Best" is subjective.  But, since my opinion is the only one that counts...  :Smile-hiding:   here it is: Tiger II.

IS-3 is probably the most balanced between armor/slope, speed, and firepower; but, it's a Russian tank.  Bleh.

Lowe is a fun tank, but I don't consider it a "real" tank; it does print credits like nobody's business, though.

I haven't played the others, but I see the T32 as not much more than a T29 with a different turret.

As for the KV-5 and M6A2E1, just...eww, gross!

Bulcsu #7 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 19:08

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 1144 battles
In a match without tier 8+ mediums I vote Ferdinand as the best tier 8 tank.  In a match with tier 8+ mediums that honor goes to the Tiger II.

Honorable Mention:  T32 can dominate on hilly maps.

OFF-TOPIC:  I remember way back in October when I first got a tier 5 tank (KV) I thought that the Ferdi was the best tank in the game...so, maybe my opinion is still a little biased.

MagicSquid #8 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 19:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13389 battles
Original poster, you should make a poll next time, so people can answer more quickly without posting...

And  yeah, the Tiger II is pretty much the best tier 8 (objectively speaking). In my opinion, most people would find it to be the best performer for them. Excellent armor, good gun with good penetration and accuracy, reasonable speed.

Subjectively, I prefer the IS-3. Heavy-medium can reposition itself to reinforce its team where they are weak, rush back to prevent a cap, or run in and cap the enemy base before the slower-moving tanks (Lowes/Maus) can respond fast enough to prevent it.

Kayos #9 Posted Jul 07 2011 - 19:22

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3354 battles
  • [1BIAR] 1BIAR
I'd have to say the new T8 Pershing is an awesome tank.  Try it out.

LeeroyTankins #10 Posted Jul 08 2011 - 02:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 6069 battles
Tier 8 Heavy Tanks:
Best close up slugfest: KT (strong armor, least weakspots) then Lowe
Best hull down sniping: T32 then Lowe (best turret armor)
Best circling, take one shot then escape before retaliation: IS3 (best speed, BL9 great damage)

Tier 8 are all good but in different ways.
IS3 needs the most manuevering skill, but rewards skill the most because it is able to damage tanks while escaping any damage if played right.  But for most players, IS3 will seem weak as it is terrible head to head in a frontal slugging match versus the other Tier 8.
KT and Lowe does well for most people because they can survive bad situations the best due to good armor.

Whyan #11 Posted Jul 08 2011 - 04:05

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 5995 battles
Tiger 2 > T32 = IS3 = Lowe > M6 something > KV-5

Tiger 2 recieves good gun selection, best overall frontally armour, best view range on par with the lowe, and relatively good power to weight ratio = good acceleration and manuevuerability.

It's also a tall tank with a relatively good depression angle by german standards, so hull down and shooting over objects is entirly possible in most cases.

lostwingman #12 Posted Jul 08 2011 - 04:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20447 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
In my opinion in of this:

KT
IS3
T32
Lowe
M6A2
KV5

KT in my opinion is top due to having the best gun (superior to the BL9 in my opinion) and due to it's excellent armor. The IS3 has decent armor but aside from the turret it's penable by almost everything it's tier every on it's hull. The T32 is close to the IS3 but this is mostly due to the quality of drivers, IS3 drivers seem less impressive in my opinion than T32 drivers. My ranking of the on the premiums should not be too much of a surprise.

mauser13 #13 Posted Jul 08 2011 - 04:23

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 11110 battles

View Postlostwingman, on Jul 08 2011 - 04:07, said:

The T32 is close to the IS3 but this is mostly due to the quality of drivers, IS3 drivers seem less impressive in my opinion than T32 drivers.

yea thats what ive experienced.. it seems that not all, but some t-32 drivers know they have a weak spot and is-3 drivers belive they dont have any besides, rear? idk its very random.. its all about the drivers.

anyways.. KT is still the best T8 in my opinion, unless a change in tier 8 tanks happen, kt ftw.

Whyan #14 Posted Jul 08 2011 - 18:04

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 5995 battles

View Postmauser13, on Jul 08 2011 - 04:23, said:

yea thats what ive experienced.. it seems that not all, but some t-32 drivers know they have a weak spot and is-3 drivers belive they dont have any besides, rear? idk its very random.. its all about the drivers.

anyways.. KT is still the best T8 in my opinion, unless a change in tier 8 tanks happen, kt ftw.
IS-3 has more holes in the frontal than then the T32, but IS3 drivers havea rough patch dealing with frontal weak spots because they have been used to using either high mobility or high armour to help compensate the other. However, the IS3 is a combination of speed and armour, lower speed for more armour.

Aluminum_ #15 Posted Jul 08 2011 - 18:26

Captain

• Players
  • 12136 battles
Toss up between the IS3 and King Tiger.  Also if you care about T8 mediums I've played all three of them and the Pershing is the best by far.

whiterice #16 Posted Jul 08 2011 - 19:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12455 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
I like my IS3 over the rest.  With the BL9, it's a complete package; its quick, nimble, sloped armor, and can penetrate anything.

Waphlez #17 Posted Jul 08 2011 - 20:54

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7984 battles
  • [WANTD] WANTD
Tiger II is the best Tier 8 in my opinion, due to it's good mobility, great frontal armor, and a solid gun with good pen and accuracy.

KV-5 isn't as bad as people say because it dominates lower tiers (just angle your 150mm side armor and nothing gets through from tier 6 or 7, unlike the Tiger II's 80mm armor; unless they aim for R2D2, but hopefully they increase the armor on the MG turrets), it's gun is terribly inaccurate and has low penetration, but it does 300 damage with a RoF of 8! It's pretty fast for a 100-ton tank (ramming at 40 km/hr with this sucker is just hilarious) Against other Tier 8s or higher, the KV-5 does get outclassed, but the matchmaking for the KV-5 puts it against mostly tier 6-8 tanks (it gets in lower tier battles compared to the average Tier 8 heavy, see here). That said, the KV-5 can still take on other Tier 8s in the right circumstance. That said, it sucks paying the same amount as the Löwe, which if you bought you got a 12,500g tank for 7,500g.

ParanoidSniper #18 Posted Jul 08 2011 - 21:49

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 16620 battles
  • [MEDIC] MEDIC
I would say is very balanced tier...

IS3 with Tiger II and Lowe near.... T32 could be good but verys situattional...

panzerwagoneer #19 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 05:14

Major

• Players
  • 16256 battles
  • [STAND] STAND
Tiger 2 without question. Thick, well sloped armor, great view range, excellent hard hitting, good pen gun. Not to forget to mention the Tiger 2 is surprisingly maneuverable, if a bit slow. Plus the Tiger 2 Drivers are for the most part top notch. Coming from the Tiger, the Tiger 2 driver will have been forced to learn how to best angle their tank, how to use their taller height and terrain to get the best cover, when to retreat and how to hit weak points from afar, all of these things translating well to the tiger 2, and only benefiting from the elimination of many of the Tigers flaws. I find IS-3 players on the other hand are a mixed bag, finding intuitive, cunning players in them is a rarity. The Russian Heavy line teaches bad habits, starting from the KV-3 and IS with their bouncy armor. Russian tanks are most rewarded for patience but Russian heavy drivers very seldom have any. At the end of the day though it IS all about the driver and a good driver in an IS-3, for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts, can really mess up a Tiger 2's day.

KillingMeSoftly #20 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 15:30

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 7729 battles
King Tiger is probably the best here due to great frontal armor and an excellent gun.  IS-3 and T32 both have excellent strengths comperable to the King Tiger.  All in all, it's a very balanced tier.

Lowe is the best of the premiums but weaker than the non-premiums, its only real strength is strong turret mantlet and an exceptional gun-- everything else is subpar (armor) or flat-out bad (mobility).  M6A2E1 is fairly sturdy but has exceptionally weak side and rear armor, mobility comperable to the King Tiger, but its gun isn't that great.  KV-5 I'd rate as the worst as it only really has armor going for it (but has a noteable weak spot).