• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

mjmdiver #21 Posted Jun 06 2016 - 19:49

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3356 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

Dstud,

I downloaded the new version yesterday, but I think it was 2.2?  Not sure... I'll have to check when I get home.

Anyway, I had it lock up at 90% yesterday afternoon and tried to use it to reset and get going again, but it didn't appear to do anything.  It didn't force quit, and restart.  Not sure if it did anything, actually.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to verify that it is working correctly?

Thanks for a great utility for the other parts, I'm hoping to have that last "force quit and restart" working and then everything will be totally great.

---Michael

dstud208 #22 Posted Jun 06 2016 - 20:35

Captain

• Players
  • 17742 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO

View Postmjmdiver, on Jun 06 2016 - 11:49, said:

Dstud,

I downloaded the new version yesterday, but I think it was 2.2?  Not sure... I'll have to check when I get home.

Anyway, I had it lock up at 90% yesterday afternoon and tried to use it to reset and get going again, but it didn't appear to do anything.  It didn't force quit, and restart.  Not sure if it did anything, actually.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to verify that it is working correctly?

Thanks for a great utility for the other parts, I'm hoping to have that last "force quit and restart" working and then everything will be totally great.

---Michael

I'm just uploading a YouTube video as I type where I go through the process, all you have to do is follow along. Check my channel in an hour-ish (my internets pretty bad).

In the mean time:

1. If you want, reinstall fresh by clicking the "delete completely" button, and downloading a new wrapper and running it to setup the game again. I have buttons in the utility that will get you the wrapper but if your using safari it won't work (because reasons). Best thing is to use chrome, go to the WoT website, and download it that way.
  2. Regardless of if you've wiped or not, once you have a full client on your computer (like you do right now) then open the Utility, go to the WoT tab, click the  9.15 freeze button, and then click "Reset and fix" (the top button in the popup window.
  3. Run the game - if you can't get into the garage, you probably need to wipe and reinstall
  4. You should be able to get into the garage at this point, but your graphics settings are all messed up, adjust your graphics to the way you like, don't bother playing a battle yet even though you should be able to
  5. If you play in full-screen then quit the game (command-tabbing will freeze it) and in the Utility, click the "Create restore point" button. That will create a working state for your game to revert to once bad things happen and the game freezes up
  6. Play the game, blow up tanks, have fun
  7. Once the game freezes, go to the utility, click "Force Quit and Restore", this will shut down the game if its still running, then it will restore it to the working state we saved earlier
  8. Play the game again
  9. The last button is to be used AFTER the game is fixed and everyone can play again without worrying about freezing up. It restores an exe file that was renamed (same effect as deleting, but without deleting it). I don't know what that exe does, but it does something, so the last button restores it. Again, don't click this until AFTER the game is patched for mac players.

Hope this helps

Edited by dstud208, Jun 06 2016 - 20:36.

mjmdiver #23 Posted Jun 06 2016 - 21:56

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3356 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

Thanks, I'll get this going tonight...

Does your "Delete completely" button remove the mods as wall?  I presume so.  I'll copy them out safely and then do the wipe.

My experience is the simple mods I am using don't appear to be the problem (I had the same problems before installing the mods).

---Michael

dstud208 #24 Posted Jun 06 2016 - 22:20

Captain

• Players
  • 17742 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO

View Postmjmdiver, on Jun 06 2016 - 13:56, said:

Does your "Delete completely" button remove the mods as wall?  I presume so.  I'll copy them out safely and then do the wipe.

Yes, it completely purges your computer of everything WoT, or at least everything that I'M aware of. Its possible the devs snuck something else in there

Edit: the video is up, you can check it out if you want, or just follow those steps I wrote up.

Edited by dstud208, Jun 06 2016 - 22:28.

savageotter #25 Posted Jun 09 2016 - 17:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 5519 battles

Ok, this has gone from bad to worse.

I have attempted every option, to no avail!

clean installs not working. I get to 97-99% and computer crashes to restart. 

Are there other hiding spots WOT could be in, or other steps?

1). Delete WOT application from "Application folder"

2). Delete WOT folder in Docments

3). Delete hidden WOT folder from home folder>Library> "Application Support"

4). Delete  "codeweavers.worldoftanks.plist" from hidden home folder>Library> "preferences"

5). Delete  "codeweavers.worldoftanks.savedstate" folder from hidden home folder>Library> "saved application state"

and for some reason I cannot upload the screen shots of my error messages!

Any other hints are appreciated! 

Studly worked great earlier when the game was sort of working, but now I can even get it to install from WOT using "chrome" 

sureshot47 #26 Posted Jun 09 2016 - 19:04

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 22297 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA
So I contacted codeweavers,followed their instructions and am now playing ,no problem. So why did it work for me ,and not for other Mac users?

savageotter #27 Posted Jun 09 2016 - 20:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 5519 battles

View Postsureshot47, on Jun 09 2016 - 18:04, said:

So I contacted codeweavers,followed their instructions and am now playing ,no problem. So why did it work for me ,and not for other Mac users?

When 9.14 (GOD I miss that version!) "DOWN GRADED" to 9.15 there was CAOS! some people had success- with help from Codeweavers and DStud- I "WAS" one of them. 

But, Alas is now relegated to "what seems like forever ago!" 

I may have to let my 45 days of premium go- to save for a PC just to game and only use my Mac for more important things like "LIFE"

Finnegan_Gromyko #28 Posted Jun 09 2016 - 20:26

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7765 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

I am now in the same boat. Studly utility worked fine until this morning. Now, my game won't even start. I deleted all elements of the game, and did a fresh install, and same thing. Why is a mystery, but likely some small change to the WG servers. Who knows? 

But again, I'm unable to play. 

I really feel some form of compensation from WG is required here. 

If not, I will likely just leave the game and try War Thunder instead. As much as I like World of Tanks, I don't have time to **** around with my computer every day trying to get it to start. 

In stark contrast to WG, War Thunder will actually support their Mac player base. Here is their policy announced during the official launch of the Mac version: "We are pleased to announce that the War Thunder client for the Mac OS X is now officially supported. There are tens of millions Mac users in the world and we are very excited to welcome them on our War Thunder game servers."

Unlike WG they seem to have noticed there are tens of millions of Mac gamers out there, and (crazy idea) decided to take them on as customers. I'm assuming they probably went to Open GL instead of Direct X, which only works on Windows OS.

Has anyone here tried War Thunder on a Mac?

Finnegan_Gromyko #29 Posted Jun 09 2016 - 20:30

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7765 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

And looking at this harder, it does appear they are using Open GL. It's all the same code, and it's all on the same server, and they also support Linux. I have not tried the game, but since WoT no longer works, I guess I might as well. 

Also, I'm sick of the way I'm being treated by WG, and I'm pretty close to having had enough. If some of my platoon mates hadn't already put so much money into the game, I'd already be gone. 

Here is the description of War Thunder, which makes it very clear they FULLY SUPPORT all the platforms they serve. 

War Thunder is a cross-platform MMO combat game for PC, PS4, Mac and Linux, dedicated to World War II military aviation, armoured vehicles, and fleets. You will take part in many of the major combat battles fought during World War 2 and the Korean War, fighting with real players from all around the world.

Download Game

War Thunder offers a highly detailed and personalized military aviation and land battle experience, giving players access to hundreds of models of aircraft with detailed cockpits, ground vehicles with awesome firepower, flying and driving skills that can be honed and improved with each mission. Thanks to the game’s painstaking attention to detail, you’ll truly feel like a World War II warrior in the air and on land as you plunge into battle.

Features include:

• Cross-platform battles between PC, PS4, Mac and Linux users – everyone on the same server

• Over 600 of historically accurate aircraft and ground vehicles: fighters, bombers, attackers, tanks, self-propelled artillery and anti-air vehicles

• Multiple realism settings allow advanced virtual pilots, tankers and beginners to enjoy the game regardless of experience.

• Rich PvE content: historical and dynamic campaigns, solo missions, mission editor, available for single-player and cooperative gameplay.

• Astonishing graphics, authentic sound effects, and beautiful music

• Support for user-created content – more at War Thunder Live

For a more complete list of game features, please, visit the Features section. For additional questions, please visit FAQ.

War Thunder system requirements can be found 
here.

dstud208 #30 Posted Jul 02 2016 - 19:01

Captain

• Players
  • 17742 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO

I just made an extremely small update, for everyone currently using it you can pretty much ignore this. This should just help new people to the Utility understand how to use it to fix the 9.15 freeze better.

I just relabeled the third button. The proper way to use this is to click it BEFORE launching the game each time, this should allow you to keep your settings and prevent the freeze/crash for the entire play session (or at least for a while). What the button does didn't change, just wanted to clarify the best way to use it.

So what I recommend doing:

To setup/prepare your game

1. Click "Reset Wrapper and Fix Freeze"
  2. launch the game
  3. fix all your settings, make sure you don't miss any
  4. close the game using the ingame "exit game" button (DON'T use command + Q) to ensure all the settings are properly saved
  5. Click "Create restore point"

To prevent issues when playing

1. BEFORE launching the game, click "prevent / restore game"
  2. Play

If you freeze ingame then try clicking the "prevent / restore game" it will try to force quit the game but you may need to do that on your own first (I haven't figured out why it doesn't always close the game). If after clicking that button you quickly freeze again then you just need to go through the setup process again. Either it wasn't done right or somehow the preferences file was corrupted before you finished closing. In my experience it takes a battle and THEN an exit to desktop to corrupt it, but I may be wrong.

This is what I do, and I haven't had a freeze in a VERY long time (that wasn't deliberate, for testing purposes).

Josun_ #31 Posted Jul 27 2016 - 23:47

Private

• -Players-
  • 4997 battles
9.15.1 fix yet? and always thank you for your support to the community..

dstud208 #32 Posted Jul 28 2016 - 03:10

Captain

• Players
  • 17742 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO

View PostJosun_, on Jul 27 2016 - 15:47, said:

9.15.1 fix yet? and always thank you for your support to the community..

I haven't even looked at the patch yet, updating now.

RSM_Blaze #33 Posted Aug 01 2016 - 05:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14903 battles

Make sure no pre-09.15.1 mods are installed.

Other than that I've had no new problems with the new update.

dstud208 #34 Posted Aug 01 2016 - 15:48

Captain

• Players
  • 17742 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO
Agreed, I've had no issues (other than the "normal" ones)

Serene_Potato #35 Posted Aug 08 2016 - 03:41

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
You willing to release the source code for your utility? :P

dstud208 #36 Posted Aug 08 2016 - 14:19

Captain

• Players
  • 17742 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO
why you wanna know how it works? All thats in the OP my friend.

black_colt #37 Posted Aug 09 2016 - 04:28

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3359 battles

View PostRSM_Blaze, on Jul 31 2016 - 20:36, said:

Make sure no pre-09.15.1 mods are installed.

Other than that I've had no new problems with the new update.

Agreed - the non-0.9.15.1 MODs lead to some video tearing and performance issues.

Once the MODs were updated - back to being able to play.

Serene_Potato #38 Posted Aug 09 2016 - 08:19

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postdstud208, on Aug 08 2016 - 14:19, said:

why you wanna know how it works? All thats in the OP my friend.

more interested in how you write the program to have a GUI without making it some terminal/command line tool :P

black_colt #39 Posted Aug 09 2016 - 16:20

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3359 battles

View PostSerene_Potato, on Aug 08 2016 - 23:19, said:

more interested in how you write the program to have a GUI without making it some terminal/command line tool :P

Xcode can used to develop apps for OS X/macOS, iOS, WatchOS, and tvOS and is available free of charge from Apple Inc.  To have your app reviewed and published on the App Store you must be an Apple Developer.  Being an Apple Developer has another advantage - you get access to pre-release software so you can test your app against upcoming software releases.

You do not need the App Store to release OS X/macOS software - however as Apple tightens up SIP you may want to.

Also you can use TestFlight to have individuals test your app prior to release.

dstud208,

Please correct me if I am wrong - but I seem to remember that you indicated that you used Xcode to provide a GUI for your Studly Utility.

Edited by black_colt, Aug 09 2016 - 16:23.

dstud208 #40 Posted Aug 09 2016 - 17:33

Captain

• Players
  • 17742 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO
Ya, colt is correct. I just used Xcode, linking the code to the gui is as simple as click and dragging from the button to the functions in the code. (To put it simply)

There are scads of tutorials and guides online, YouTube is chuck full of them. That's were I figured out how to do it. I recommend going there, they will do a much better job than I can on showing how to do it.

My personal favourite source is "Hacking with Swift" I'm currently trying to learn swift to improve the utilities flexibility and this is an excellent source. It's an online "book" that's constantly being updated to stay current. Even provides example projects you can download. It's free with the option to buy (donate). I paid into it because it's awesome, but if your just poking around you can do everything for free.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users