I'll be honest, I like Proving Ground

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

Iron_Soul_Stealer #1 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 04:49

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

Yes, you heard that right.

I really like Wargaming's new addition to the game.

Proving Ground is a great way for new players to train and learn simple game mechanics, not to mention try out their shiny new lower tier tanks. The 'tank-bots' are an interesting adversary, and they present a fairly realistic challenge/enemy battle scenario...although, it would be nice if they were a bit smarter.

Honestly, I think WG should take this 'AI' {artificial intelligence} concept to the next level and increase the available training tiers to at least tier 5, or 6. I know I'd appreciate that opportunity....and I know I certainly need the practice.

So, look for it on your drop down menu in your garage, everyone. It's called Proving Grounds...and I think it's great!

-Iron Soul Stealer

littleleopard12 #2 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 04:52

Captain

• Players
  • 11588 battles
  • [4HIM2] 4HIM2
i love proving grounds too the first battle i tried i did 1000 damage and 13 kill in the ms-1   :P

Strike_Witch_Tomoko #3 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 04:59

Major

• Players
  • 15574 battles

i like PvE in general.

but i'd like it to go up to tier 8 (super p!)

or tier 7(Tiger 1)

or tier 6(Hellcat, T-34-85, etc)

but i want WG to fix it so enemies dont drive to me with turrets backwards.

hiddenroomba #4 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 05:11

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7357 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Dec 12 2015 - 20:49, said:

Proving Ground is a great way for new players to train and learn simple game mechanics, not to mention try out their shiny new lower tier tanks. The 'tank-bots' are an interesting adversary, and they present a fairly realistic challenge/enemy battle scenario...although, it would be nice if they were a bit smarter.

Honestly, I think WG should take this 'AI' idea to the next level and increase the available training tiers to at least tier 5, or 6. I know I'd appreciate that opportunity....and I know I certainly need the practice.

So, look for it on your drop down menu in your garage, everyone. It's called Proving Grounds...and I think it's great!

-Iron Soul Stealer

Ahem... Soviet Tier 2 T-60... COUGH COUGH.... Totally not an auto win for player controlling it.... TOTALLY NOT!:great: It is so OP for it's tier though.. You have to admit that. 

Huey_Long #5 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 05:12

Major

• Players
  • 24054 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

View Post_MakiseKurisu, on Dec 13 2015 - 03:50, said:

It's a great way to pad reroll stats to be sure.

It was amazing for the EU rerolls me and Schnitzel made. 12k wn8 all day baby. 

View PostStrike_Witch_Tomoko, on Dec 13 2015 - 03:59, said:

i like padding in general.

but i'd like it to go up to tier 8 (super padding!)

or tier 7(Tigpadder 1)

or tier 6(Hellpadder, T-34-85, etc)

but i want WG to fix it so enemies dont drive to me with turrets backwards. Make them also 

Thats more like it. Good opinions. I wish to pad these basically non-firing bots more. Especially high tiers where I can angle and the AI is so stupid it can't figure out how to do anything and lets me farm. 

There's a reason it's still low tier. Because they can pen things there even if you angle at times. PvE will be a long time away. 

Inb4 there's a LFG channel for world of tanks 

Strike_Witch_Tomoko #6 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 05:13

Major

• Players
  • 15574 battles

View PostLaceylace, on Dec 12 2015 - 21:12, said:

It was amazing for the EU rerolls me and Schnitzel made. 12k wn8 all day baby. 

Thats more like it. Good opinions. I wish to pad these basically non-firing bots more. Especially high tiers where I can angle and the AI is so stupid it can't figure out how to do anything and lets me farm. 

There's a reason it's still low tier. Because they can pen things there even if you angle at times. PvE will be a long time away. 

Inb4 there's a LFG channel for world of tanks 

awwwwwwwwwwwww but i dont want it to be a long time away!!!!! Dx

fix it lacey fix it!!!!!!

Canoso77 #7 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 05:25

Private

• -Players-
  • 2953 battles
I like the Proving Ground, too.  it's a place for new players to learn how to handle different tanks without being clubbed.  And I agree with Strike Witch Tomoko.   A proving ground for higher tier tanks, while providing no experience or silver, would be good for getting the feel of that new tank you just received before going into real battle.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #8 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 05:46

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostStrike_Witch_Tomoko, on Dec 12 2015 - 22:59, said:

i like PvE in general.

but i'd like it to go up to tier 8 (super p!)

or tier 7(Tiger 1)

or tier 6(Hellcat, T-34-85, etc)

but i want WG to fix it so enemies dont drive to me with turrets backwards.

^..Yes, so do I.....:facepalm:...and so do I...

And tier eight is an excellent place to raise the bar for Proving Ground AI.

Thanks again for your respectful, honest, and constructive comments and feedback. As always...they are appreciated.

-Iron

View PostCanoso77, on Dec 12 2015 - 23:25, said:

I like the Proving Ground, too.  it's a place for new players to learn how to handle different tanks without being clubbed.  And I agree with Strike Witch Tomoko.   A proving ground for higher tier tanks, while providing no experience or silver, would be good for getting the feel of that new tank you just received before going into real battle.

^..Yes, absolutely!

Higher tier 'AI'. That is definitely something for WG to develop and improve on.

Keep your helpful comments coming....

hiddenroomba #9 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 05:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7357 battles
Can they implement choosing what tanks you face? This is helpful for people who want to find ideal weak spots that they can be surefire that their shot will pen the weak spot? That would be tremendously helpful for noobs like me, who could use those moments in real public matches. It would be a bit complicated though. I really hope they could make that.

Under_scored #10 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 06:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22851 battles
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA

I too enjoy a new stat padding method for reroll accounts.

Spoiler

They really do need to work on making the bots smarter and tougher, they hardly represent a realistic pvp battle in this game.

Andrew9998 #11 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 06:25

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13796 battles
  • [AOG2] AOG2
So make these bots like in CSGO or Black Ops or HALO etc.

CAttack1 #12 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 06:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23540 battles

View PostIndKanone, on Dec 13 2015 - 04:59, said:

Can they implement choosing what tanks you face? This is helpful for people who want to find ideal weak spots that they can be surefire that their shot will pen the weak spot? That would be tremendously helpful for noobs like me, who could use those moments in real public matches. It would be a bit complicated though. I really hope they could make that.

Try a training room, or another tank viewer. tanks.gg is a really good website for this. Choose what tank you want to see and select "3D Model".

You can also check all the tank stats there.

Cryotoad #13 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 16:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21829 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE
Proving grounds is definitely a step in the right direction, and a great idea. But I do agree that the AI needs to be a bit more clever. Perhaps they can talk to the WoWS devs about how they made the bots from that game's Beta more threatening than actual players for a time. Also, wouldn't mind something like WT: Ground Forces test drive map just to putter around and shoot at some still targets to get an idea of a tanks capabilities.

NK_33 #14 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 17:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 19312 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Dec 12 2015 - 19:49, said:

I think for Tier 1 and 2 they need to be dumb so they don't seal club the newbies, and maybe as dumb for tier 3 and 4, but have the enemy bottanks mostly Matildas, KV-1s and Hetzers.

For tiers 5-8, you could make them a lot smarter.

gonxau #15 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 18:43

Captain

• Players
  • 19745 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Dec 12 2015 - 19:49, said:

As a game mode, I think this is the greatest leap forward Wargaming have made in the entire time I've been playing. Mostly because the new physics engine isn't in. I really wish it was better done, and like you say, at least up to tier 5 or 6, but preferably up to Tier 10.  It would also be nice if you were heavily encouraged (via annoying UI) to play 2-3 games in the new mode when you progressed up a tier for the first time, or maybe if you just bought a new tank.  This would also solve some of the, "I forgot to load ammo" problems.

I have a theory on how they can do that rather easily. WotReplays and equivalents have a stack of in-game movements of different tanks, and could use machine learning to start programming movements of tanks based off those.  There's a ton of data, so the only limitation is that they couldn't do it for maps that changed or were added. Solution? Map rotation removes maps without adequate data from the list of playable maps.

I would also like to see players that are suspected of being bots by being reported multiple times to be pushed to Proving Ground games, to see how they respond, especially if it takes the last replay of that game client and runs the same scenario 5x or so.  If the bot responds in the same way every time, ban the client. In the meantime it'll be a kind of Bot Olympics.

Cryotoad #16 Posted Dec 13 2015 - 22:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21829 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

View Postgonxau, on Dec 13 2015 - 12:43, said:

I have a theory on how they can do that rather easily. WotReplays and equivalents have a stack of in-game movements of different tanks, and could use machine learning to start programming movements of tanks based off those.  There's a ton of data, so the only limitation is that they couldn't do it for maps that changed or were added. Solution? Map rotation removes maps without adequate data from the list of playable maps.

I would also like to see players that are suspected of being bots by being reported multiple times to be pushed to Proving Ground games, to see how they respond, especially if it takes the last replay of that game client and runs the same scenario 5x or so.  If the bot responds in the same way every time, ban the client. In the meantime it'll be a kind of Bot Olympics.

That's.....

...actually pretty brilliant. I don't know about the whole "forced into proving grounds" thing, as implementation would likely be difficult (Or maybe not, what do I know). But the use of the wotreplays data for bot development would be really interesting.

Nagamzor #17 Posted Dec 15 2015 - 15:15

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29395 battles
  • [WNDEX] WNDEX

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Dec 12 2015 - 21:49, said:

Honestly, I think WG should take this 'AI' {artificial intelligence} concept to the next level and increase the available training tiers to at least tier 5, or 6. I know I'd appreciate that opportunity....and I know I certainly need the practice.

-Iron Soul Stealer

If you need the practice, why don't you just play the game?

Iron_Soul_Stealer #18 Posted Dec 15 2015 - 17:43

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostNK_33, on Dec 13 2015 - 11:43, said:

I think for Tier 1 and 2 they need to be dumb so they don't seal club the newbies, and maybe as dumb for tier 3 and 4, but have the enemy bottanks mostly Matildas, KV-1s and Hetzers.

For tiers 5-8, you could make them a lot smarter.

^..Good point... :D

We wouldn't want the bots to be too difficult, in lower tiers...otherwise, they might start clubbing all our seals...and chasing away our future pubbie tankers/customers...

So, a realistic balance is necessary.

*Personally, I would suggest that the 'bot difficulty level' gradually increases as you go up in the tiers, and mirrors the play style of an average player/tanker. That would make sense to me. And I'd like to see Proving Ground go all the way up to tier ten. How would you feel about that..?

Let me know...

_Miyuki_ #19 Posted Dec 15 2015 - 19:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13358 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
I like Proving Ground just because it's the only place i'll ever run any of my tanks below tier 5.  It's a nice change of pace, and pretty relaxing too.

Beesnest #20 Posted Dec 15 2015 - 22:39

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7245 battles
I've yet to try it.  Right now, I don't have any tanks of the tiers required to play and when I did, the server kept timing out on me. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users