3D Hitbox viewer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Poll: 3D Hitbox viewer (88 members have cast votes)

Hitbox viewer, good idea or no?

1. Oh god yes! (57 votes [64.77%])

Percentage of vote: 64.77%

2. Mehhh. (13 votes [14.77%])

Percentage of vote: 14.77%

3. Oh god no! (18 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

Vote Hide poll

Peebody #1 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 15:48

Private

• Players
  • 15936 battles
Would the dev's be interested in creating a 3d hitbox viewer for web browsers?

I'd love to see such a app. perhaps in flash.
This would allow people like myself, who have no interest in using "hitbox skins", to see the hitboxes for each tank.
I think this would add a great deal to the game, i.e an opportunity to learn about your foes tanks (and your own), a kind of academy for tanker's.
And perhaps reduce peoples urge to use “cheatbox skins” aswell  :P .

EDIT: perhaps access to the viewer could be linked to the tanks you have unlocked, or destroyed repeatedly in battle this would better represent the real world, and I mean you’d think I’d have some idea of where the ammo rack is in the tank I’m commanding.

GRB_Duck #2 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 16:06

Captain

• Players
  • 17801 battles
Hi Welcome

RitterCuda #3 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 16:58

Major

• Players
  • 16336 battles
  • [ADP] ADP
I like this, you can learn the soft  spots with out having  them flashing out in game.  I won't use the skins in game as I feel they are not right.

vespid #4 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 18:22

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15187 battles
  • [VPG] VPG
It took me a long time to learn the good hit spots on big tanks (don't care about T5 and lower). I'd hate to think that some newbie can just learn them in an hour or so without putting in the effort and time to learn the game.

This suggestion advocates the easy way to success, not earning it. My vote is no.

P.S. I know there are hit skins out there, and I've looked at some, but they are fan creations and neither fully accurate or complete. You advocate a definitive source from the developers to take away all need to learn by experience. Put in the time and learn!

Late addition: Of course your poll with support your idea. The newbies that seek the quick and easy will always outnumber those of us that have earned our way through experience and forum research. That doesn't mean it is a valid idea.

fsjd #5 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 19:15

Major

• Players
  • 7385 battles
  • [TT] TT
knowing where to shoot doesnt mean squat if your opponent outclasses you, or if youre an SPG, SPG hits hurt no matter what.
you still need to know WHO you can hurt, and who can hurt YOU.(dont face a maus with anything less than another maus or IS-7, call down the steel rain only an SPG can bring on em)

i like this idea, especially for the T-10 tanks. DIE MAUS, DIE!!
only way to learn now, is to hit them there, but if im close enough to guarantee hits on that spot, he WILL be shooting back. or to have someone shoot you there, which is no fun at all (tank on fire!, {player} shot destroyed device [ammo rack])

CaptCrusader #6 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 19:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4477 battles

View Postvespid, on Jul 10 2011 - 18:22, said:

It took me a long time to learn the good hit spots on big tanks (don't care about T5 and lower). I'd hate to think that some newbie can just learn them in an hour or so without putting in the effort and time to learn the game.

This suggestion advocates the easy way to success, not earning it. My vote is no.

P.S. I know there are hit skins out there, and I've looked at some, but they are fan creations and neither fully accurate or complete. You advocate a definitive source from the developers to take away all need to learn by experience. Put in the time and learn!

Agree. Hard won experience is the best teacher. I know it sucks for you newbies but we all started there.  :Smile-playing:

Also, if you dont know, you can ask. There are plenty of discussions on individual tank weaknesses in their appropriate forums. In game, those who are know are more than happy to share.

Peebody #7 Posted Jul 10 2011 - 23:37

Private

• Players
  • 15936 battles

View Postvespid, on Jul 10 2011 - 18:22, said:

It took me a long time to learn the good hit spots on big tanks (don't care about T5 and lower). I'd hate to think that some newbie can just learn them in an hour or so without putting in the effort and time to learn the game. This suggestion advocates the easy way to success, not earning it. My vote is no.

Fair call, perhaps then access to the viewer could be linked to the tanks you have unlocked, or destroyed repeatedly in battle this would better represent the real world, and I mean you’d think I’d have some idea of where the ammo rack is in the tank I’m commanding.
It just burns me that people are allowed to use hitbox skins, granted their not perfect, but people will continue to refine these.

GeorgePatton #8 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 00:14

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 5371 battles
  • [3ARMY] 3ARMY
Well... IRL, they teach tankers the weak spots of other tanks...

I learned by experience, but I wouldn't mind somebody else learning by a book.

Cheers and +1 for your idea,
Glenn

BobX #9 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 00:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 1136 battles
I can see where people are coming from when they say experience was their teacher and should be for everyone else.  It's only, fair, right?  You spent hours playing some tanks in futility up against superior ones until you learned pinpoint locations to nail a tank for the most effective damage.

Unfortunately, there's a few issues with that.  People don't like dead weight on their team.  People seek knowledge and if someone wants to improve themselves without ruining the play time of others by experimenting, shouldn't they be given the resources to do so?  Without respawns, there's only so much time a player can test their theories against certain tanks, and only in certain situations, before they have to wait until their tank becomes available again and is matched up against their archenemy.  Furthermore, KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE, and forcing players to go in unprepared makes playing frustrating for some.  A little user friendliness could go a long way toward earning paying customers.

Bulcsu #10 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 02:34

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 1144 battles
This would change gameplay.  Many heavy tanks that currently push and lead assaults would hang back and "camp" more if everyone knew all of their weakspots.  For example, what IS-4 driver would lead a charge if every lower tier tank he faced shot him in his driver's viewport or his lower hull plate?

BobX #11 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 03:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 1136 battles
"everyone" would not instantly know "all" of their weakspots, and the information on hitboxes is already available if people look hard enough - it's coded into the game files and based on real life information, after all, there are plenty of resources already available if people take the effort to look

it simply makes this information more available to the user that wants to make themselves more effective - it won't be useful outside of close range engagements, it won't be useful to many TD and SPG players, and there's still the random element of spread involved, and it neither make your armor any thinner nor does it make your modules any more vulnerable than they already are, it just means players that are prepared are more likely to drop shells on them instead of aiming for the green spot between your turret an sloped armor aiming for the most futile sweet spot possible due to a glitch in the armor thickness feedback.

Znayut #12 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 03:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14453 battles
  • [SU] SU
Hitbox skins are already out. This is simply more convenient for those willing to do the research to better their gameplay.

It will most certainly not change the dynamic of the game.

+1

EDIT:Even just surfing the forums, you can find Shoot X's cupola and Hit Y in the lower glacis. Weak spots on most tanks aren't exactly state secrets

Toffle #13 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 17:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 4731 battles

View Postfsjd, on Jul 10 2011 - 19:15, said:

knowing where to shoot doesnt mean squat if your opponent outclasses you, or if youre an SPG, SPG hits hurt no matter what.
you still need to know WHO you can hurt, and who can hurt YOU.(dont face a maus with anything less than another maus or IS-7, call down the steel rain only an SPG can bring on em)

i like this idea, especially for the T-10 tanks. DIE MAUS, DIE!!
only way to learn now, is to hit them there, but if im close enough to guarantee hits on that spot, he WILL be shooting back. or to have someone shoot you there, which is no fun at all (tank on fire!, {player} shot destroyed device [ammo rack])

I wish this was true for my SU-26.  90% of my "hits" do zero damage.

theshadots #14 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 19:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 3387 battles

View PostZnayut, on Jul 11 2011 - 03:12, said:

Hitbox skins are already out. This is simply more convenient for those willing to do the research to better their gameplay.

It will most certainly not change the dynamic of the game.

+1

EDIT:Even just surfing the forums, you can find Shoot X's cupola and Hit Y in the lower glacis. Weak spots on most tanks aren't exactly state secrets

Not all of them are correct, there just what the player thinks.