guide unicum no noobs pls purple

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

KingtigerIVIV #1 Posted Jan 03 2016 - 23:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23229 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

The difference between 55% 2000 Wn8 and 60% 2600+ Wn8.

One of the biggest stumbling blocks I see players struggle at is the boundary between blue and purple.  Put simply, a blue player cannot deal high damage/kills as consistently as the purple player.  Learning how to maintain this consistent high performance in-game is probably the most critical turning point for a player to become unicum.

Purple players have this one attribute that blues don’t: foresight.

There are several aspects at which blue players are significantly weaker than purples.  They are…

1.  Consistent observation and orientation of the situation.
  2. Creating opportunities to deal unreturnable damage.
  3. Late game decision-making. 

1.  Consistent observation and orientation of the situation

A blue player’s mindset at the start of the game is something like this.

“I am X tank and can do best at spot Y, and given the team composition, I should be able to win this position and do well.”

This is the right idea, but then the blue player often gets caught up in the thick of the battle and fails to realize that they will get overrun, or that the other flank has collapsed and needs a stopgap.  Blues are still in the mindset of trying to maximize damage.  Often times preventing early disappointing defeats by observing the situation yields higher performance in the long run. 

So how do you practice this?  Play an autoloader with a relatively short reload and decent mobility, like the AMX 50b.  Use each reload to plan where your next clip is most needed; force yourself to think what is the best risk/reward.  As you become a better player, you can even think about your next clip BEFORE you are done clipping your first target.  Purple players have much better FORESIGHT of the situation because they can better extrapolate what to do despite the distractions of pubbies.

1.  Creating opportunities to deal unreturnable damage

A blue player when presented with an open target will think.

“I want to get my shot of damage in whenever I can and minimize return fire by minimizing exposure.”

Again, this is the right idea but lacks the whole picture.  Blue’s use good tactics like hulldown, sidescraping, turret hugging, etc to get unreturned damage, but purples have 2 important tactics that they use that most blues don’t employ: obsessive perma-tracking, and abusing vision. 

Perma-tracking

Especially with the Tier 9 and 10 RU mediums, where the reload is under 7 seconds and sometimes even under 6, perma-tracking is a very useful method to kill much larger targets without taking any return fire.  So many times I see green/blue players try to get a damaging shot on an E-100 in a tier 10 RU medium and then get blasted because they wanted the immediate 320 alpha.  A purple would deal a tracking shot, EVEN IF IT DEALT 0 DAMAGE, and proceed to circle strafe or back around a corner to bleed the tank dry.  Purples again have the FORESIGHT to plan ahead for better long-term results. 

Abusing Vision

This is a difficult topic to discuss because each map has unique quirks regarding the vision lanes etc., but in general, blues use a bush to out-spot the enemy, and then fire.  Knowing their cover is blown, they fall back and only get 1 shot of damage.  Then they go back up 15 seconds later hoping to have another shot.  A purple player finds a position that is double (or triple) bushed and backs in to spot and backs out to fire.  Thus the purple can maximize dpm and not worry about being spotted in the first place.  Purples have the FORESIGHT to plan ahead for better long-term results.    

1.  Late game decision-making

There are two types of late-game decision-making improvements. 

Farming extra damage on inevitable victories

The difference between blue and purple is often 1 or 2 shots of extra damage per game. 

A blue thinks like this, “I want to take the fastest path to the nearest target to get another 1-2 extra shots of damage.”

Purples usually plan the fastest way to get the next 3-4 shots of damage in the late game instead of trying to milk damage from the closest available target.  For example, you are in a T54 on the west side of Steppes and there is a 400 hp enemy IS-3 to the north corner.  But you also know there is a full hp IS-6 on the opposite east flank and the pubbies are rushing to swarm the IS-3.  A purple wouldn’t even bother spending the extra time to get the IS-3 and will go rip the IS-6 apart before the pubbies can chow down on the damage. 

In addition, blue’s often take unnecessary damage in the late game trying to farm more damage.  This is often detrimental because it forces them to become much more passive when farming the remaining targets, eliminating the option for juicy targets.  For example, again as a T54 you want an extra shot of damage and let yourself get penned by the IS-3, leaving you at 500 hp before you pursue a full HP Obj. 704.  If you had not taken that unnecessary damage, you could have tanked a hit from the 704 and circle-strafed another 1600 or so HP.  Purples therefore have the FORESIGHT to calculate how to maximize their late game damage output.        

Carrying a close game

Making decisions in a close late-game is a very essential skill to tip over and into the 60% winrate, especially if mostly solopubbing. 

Blues in general think like this in a tense late game situation.

“I need to deal with tank X first because of Y (alpha, autoloader, etc.), he is probably going to be here and thus I should go here to get the best advantage.”

Blues want to eliminate the most “dangerous” targets; purples want to eliminate factors of uncertainty.  This especially means minimizing damage taken from artillery.  Often times, blues say, “I played tactically sound and then got nuked by arty.”  Of course a purple cannot completely eliminate this threat, but purples usually put being artillery safe as one of the top priorities in the late game carry.  Blues just try to outplay the enemy tanks   Something to be especially careful about therefore is going hulldown; while it is a great technique against conventional opponents, it makes you very vulnerable to arty and can instantly change the game in the enemy’s favor if you take a big hit.  Purples therefore have the FORESIGHT to factor in artillery firing lanes and judge what positions and tactics are viable in the late game carry.

One other thing to note is arty reload times, if the enemy arty have all fired, you have a valuable opportunity to maneuver out of cover without risk of getting nuked.  Use this to your advantage by knowing the reload times of enemy arty (rough estimates are fine).

This is by no means a surefire way to become unicum.  The above advice comes with the assumption that you can do basic tactical maneuvers such as flanking, targeting weak-spots, and finding good positions.  More importantly, improvement requires effort and implementation of better tactics by the player, a process which takes time.  I hope with this guide to give blues the direction with which they can improve their gameplay and attain the elusive mark of purple.  

Good Luck and Roll out!

KingtigerIVIV #2 Posted Jan 03 2016 - 23:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23229 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View Post_MakiseKurisu, on Jan 03 2016 - 22:18, said:

Honestly when i platoon with blues they just react waaaaaay to slow.

Yeah...that goes under the lack of consistent orientation of surroundings. 

Doomslinger #3 Posted Jan 03 2016 - 23:28

Major

• Players
  • 72273 battles

View Post_MakiseKurisu, on Jan 03 2016 - 18:18, said:

Honestly when i platoon with blues they just react waaaaaay to slow.

This is the truth right here.  If you only have a 55% win rate with 2000 w8, you are damage farming and not helping your teams.  You should be closer to 60%.  I know all about spotting mechanics, map awareness but my video game reflexes are not the best. This has always been a weakness of mine in video games.  I do have videos of my game-play proving I pay attention to the map and use spotting mechanics to out play enemies.  I know how to fire at tanks that are only 150 meters away and not be spotted.  I do have problems with tracking enemies at close range due to my slower reflexes.  That is my weakness.  I finally got 3 marks of excellence on my Cromwell by practicing firing from bushes using the 15 meter rule.  I used to do what you said and only fire 1 shot then retreat until I watched a video showing a player firing at tanks only 150 meters away and not being spotted.  This really helps your average damage to go up in a tank using this:

KingtigerIVIV #4 Posted Jan 03 2016 - 23:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23229 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostDoomslinger, on Jan 03 2016 - 22:28, said:

This is the truth right here.  I know all about spotting mechanics, map awareness but my video game reflexes are not the best. This has always been a weakness of mine in video games.  I do have videos of my game-play proving I pay attention to the map and use spotting mechanics to out play enemies.  I know how to fire at tanks that are only 150 meters away and not be spotted.  I do have problems with tracking enemies at close range due to my slower reflexes.  That is my weakness.  I finally got 3 marks of excellence on my Cromwell by practicing firing from bushes using the 15 meter rule.  I used to do what you said and only fire 1 shot then retreat until I watched a video showing a player firing at tanks only 150 meters away and not being spotted.  This really helps your average damage to go up in a tank using this:

The reflexes do become very important at higher levels of gameplay.  Some unicums have recommended to play fast FPS games to practice reflexes.

HollywoodHulkHogan #5 Posted Jan 03 2016 - 23:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 16479 battles
  • [BULLS] BULLS
I would add survival instincts as well. As someone who plays with some of the best, I've noticed for myself that I sometimes am too reckless that leads to an early death, whether it be overreaching for positions on a map or bad trades, etc etc.

SkimpyLawnChair #6 Posted Jan 03 2016 - 23:57

Major

• Players
  • 22216 battles
  • [-KEK-] -KEK-

View PostHollywoodHulkHogan, on Jan 03 2016 - 16:47, said:

I would add survival instincts as well. 

Thats mainly what it is with people who actually do have the coordination from playing video games. When someone has the coordination but still has not quite great stats, it's because they don't understand that there is still a bit of strategy and battle tactics of some form even in pubs.

SLAP_SHOT_REGATTA #7 Posted Jan 04 2016 - 00:07

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4446 battles
  • [STB1] STB1
i was trying to explain this the other day to my bro, but im bad with words XD nice job

SCHunterElite250 #8 Posted Jan 04 2016 - 00:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1467 battles
question is.. how do i get green?

TheOrangeGuy #9 Posted Jan 04 2016 - 00:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19253 battles

The difference is 5% and 600 wn8.  

But seriously, your points  are very good!

abandoned_spirit #10 Posted Jan 04 2016 - 00:52

Major

• Players
  • 26614 battles

View PostSCHunterElite250, on Jan 03 2016 - 23:09, said:

-learn basic game mechanics

-put basic game mechanics you learned into use

-don't be a camping pancake

Tazilon #11 Posted Jan 04 2016 - 23:27

Major

• Players
  • 92195 battles
  • [-40-] -40-

So many assumptions in such little space.  Some of what you talk about is solid game concept but to say purples have these and blues don't?  Are they a differnce between greens and blues/purples?  Many times true.   The truth is many blues are people who have figured it out but are simply waiting on their averages to increase to become purple.  

And the horrific thing is how you describe people's thought process.  It completely points out how terrible WNx is for the game.  Compare how often you talk about people thinking in terms of getting more damage and how infrequently you talk about people thinking about what is needed to WIN.

You are describing how stat farmers play.

Edited by Tazilon, Jan 04 2016 - 23:36.

TLWiz #12 Posted Jan 05 2016 - 00:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 20828 battles
  • [DSSRT] DSSRT

View PostSCHunterElite250, on Jan 03 2016 - 18:09, said:

Keep playing. You have excellent stats for <1500 games.

Doomslinger #13 Posted Jan 08 2016 - 17:05

Major

• Players
  • 72273 battles

View PostKingtigerIVIV, on Jan 03 2016 - 18:34, said:

The reflexes do become very important at higher levels of gameplay.  Some unicums have recommended to play fast FPS games to practice reflexes.

I was never good at those fast paced games.  Sometimes you reach a plateau for reflex speed and won't improve much more no matter how much you practice.  As you get older, you may even get slower.  I rely heavily on map knowledge and out spotting enemies to win matches and seem to do this best at tiers 5 and 6.  Most tanks at higher tiers have good view ranges so my mid tier style does not work as well up there (not as many low view range tanks to exploit, even heavies have good view ranges up there).  I would guess playing tanks like the high tier russian or german medium tanks relies a lot on your twitch reflexes to do well.  I fail with those tanks.

HeroEnVec #14 Posted Jan 08 2016 - 17:50

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 36416 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostKingtigerIVIV, on Jan 03 2016 - 17:11, said:

The difference between 55% 2000 Wn8 and 60% 2600+ Wn8.

Good Luck and ReRoll out!

Is to platoon exclusively, never play a stock tank (or some tanks overall), pad damage from the back during losses, and always have lots of premium everything on hand.

All comments aside, WOTlabs would say the difference is about a .9% variation in effectiveness.  Or, rather, very little. http://wotlabs.net/

Edited by HeroEnVec, Jan 08 2016 - 17:53.

Fulcrous #15 Posted Jan 08 2016 - 20:20

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31586 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA

I'll summarize this into one sentence:

Blues see opportunities; unicums create opportunities.

The_Goblin_King #16 Posted Jan 08 2016 - 21:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48217 battles
  • [NZ] NZ
Grinding the WZ120 and WZ111-14 from stock has been a truly painful experience.

uberdice #17 Posted Jan 08 2016 - 21:53

Major

• Players
  • 24973 battles

View PostDoomslinger, on Jan 04 2016 - 08:28, said:

This is the truth right here.  If you only have a 55% win rate with 2000 w8, you are damage farming and not helping your teams.  You should be closer to 60%.  I know all about spotting mechanics, map awareness but my video game reflexes are not the best. This has always been a weakness of mine in video games.  I do have videos of my game-play proving I pay attention to the map and use spotting mechanics to out play enemies.  I know how to fire at tanks that are only 150 meters away and not be spotted.  I do have problems with tracking enemies at close range due to my slower reflexes.  That is my weakness.  I finally got 3 marks of excellence on my Cromwell by practicing firing from bushes using the 15 meter rule.  I used to do what you said and only fire 1 shot then retreat until I watched a video showing a player firing at tanks only 150 meters away and not being spotted.  This really helps your average damage to go up in a tank using this:

TIL I only damage farm.

WildSudowoodo #18 Posted Jan 08 2016 - 23:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22271 battles

View PostTazilon, on Jan 04 2016 - 17:27, said:

So many assumptions in such little space.  Some of what you talk about is solid game concept but to say purples have these and blues don't?  Are they a differnce between greens and blues/purples?  Many times true.   The truth is many blues are people who have figured it out but are simply waiting on their averages to increase to become purple.  

And the horrific thing is how you describe people's thought process.  It completely points out how terrible WNx is for the game.  Compare how often you talk about people thinking in terms of getting more damage and how infrequently you talk about people thinking about what is needed to WIN.

Please take this imaginary downvote, since win rate was half the focus of this guide in the first place. Not sure if you didn't read, or if you're just upset because the guy who created the TaziIon account to troll you is actually a better player than you are.

Great guide, OP. Been on tilt today, so I'll slow down and consider this material.

Edited by WildSudowoodo, Jan 08 2016 - 23:35.

KingtigerIVIV #19 Posted Jan 09 2016 - 16:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23229 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostTazilon, on Jan 04 2016 - 22:27, said:

Greens often don't even do things like taking team compositions into account at the start of the battle.  The difference in green to blue is mainly playing less sloppily in terms of actual combat, i.e, shooting accurately, consistently targeting weakspots, always maximizing armor effectiveness.  

There is a BIG difference between blues and purple 60 day/1000 battle players (if they aren't spamming low tiers etc).  As Fulcrous very rightly said, it's all about the ability to create and maximize opportunities to make a difference in the battle.  That comes through dealing more damage and winning more games, both related to the 5% increase in winrate and the 600+ WN8 increase.  

"And the horrific thing is how you describe people's thought process.  It completely points out how terrible WNx is for the game.  Compare how often you talk about people thinking in terms of getting more damage and how infrequently you talk about people thinking about what is needed to WIN."

Predicting how players think is a huge advantage in any combat situation.  Damage has always been in the long run the biggest factor to winning.  This guide talks about how to increase BOTH winrate and WN8.  Not sure why you didn't see that.  

"You are describing how stat farmers play."
Well if I wanted to write how to farm stats, I would just tell people to play their VK2801 for 50,000 games...

Blackhawk39 #20 Posted Jan 09 2016 - 17:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12232 battles
  • [TSUKI] TSUKI
Thanks for the guide! Even though im a scrub green recent this will help me achieve my goal of becoming blue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users