• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

KingtigerIVIV #41 Posted Mar 30 2017 - 15:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23246 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View Posttod914, on Mar 30 2017 - 06:17, said:

Nice guide Kingtiger.  Have any replays to share?

Tx.  Most of my replays don't work anymore because of the new patch.  Here is 1 though.

http://wotreplays.co...eriviv-t-34-85m

As for other guides, here are a couple that I wrote previously.

http://forum.worldof...-252u-defender/

http://forum.worldof...de-to-the-is-6/

This one was written before the IS-6 became HD, so it doesn't talk about Japanese Heavies, VK 100.  At that time, the driver's hatch on the IS-6 was 90mm, not 120.

x_eChaos_x #42 Posted Mar 30 2017 - 15:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 9485 battles
+1

Grasschopper #43 Posted Mar 30 2017 - 16:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 34685 battles
  • [MCHNR] MCHNR

It's actually a great post...thanks for sharing.  What I've found when platooning with unicum players is that they simply process EVERYTHING faster than I do...like lightyears faster.  I tooned with CrabEatOff for an hour or so and he wasn't just playing his tank but also telling me and another guy where to position due to what he was seeing around each of us...and doing it so fast that it was actually causing me to lock up and play worse initially.  And I'm that Blue you're talking about.  Your comment on passing up the low health IS-3 for a full health IS-6 on another flank is something I've literally never even considered.  It's always kill the next tank and keep moving.  Yes I've taken a shot and driven off because it left a tank as a 1 shot and there were 4 allies around him that SHOULD kill him before I reload (amazing how frequently they don't) so that I can pursue more damage.  But just heading another direction altogether in search of greater rewards is a concept I'm going to try to put into practice.

One thing Crab said/does and I see unicum get bashed for is running from a losing flank.  He talked about how it's very simple and all about counting.  If the green blob you're in is smaller than the red blob you're fighting then you probably need to leave and find a fight you can win.  I think that's the key...fight the battles you can win..and then find the next one and the next.  Fighting a battle you will probably lose does nothing for you or the team.

Matross #44 Posted Mar 30 2017 - 17:17

Captain

• Players
  • 30929 battles
  • [RUBLE] RUBLE

^ This is why the tomatoes are the anti-unicums. There is no rhyme or reason.

There is no logic for tomatoes. They see red tank, and they think "oh, kill him, before he kills me". Unicums don't fear unicums, they fear hordes of tomatoes yoloing here, yoloing there, driving straight to here, driving there, derping this guy, kill that guy, shooting at this target... you fear what you don't know!

ff8ff8 #45 Posted Mar 30 2017 - 19:23

Captain

• Players
  • 18654 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

I think of this game, not as a 15 v 15 match, but as a series of smaller engagements that you have to win or support. This game is a 4v3 there, a 4v6 there, maybe a 7v2 in one section and 3 tanks roaming around. You have to figure out which fight to help and where to go in order to win.

All too often the terribad pubby will go "ahh, unicums are just damage farmers and stat farmers". The only thing that matters is winning, it just so happens that consistently doing top damage, securing kills and making smart trades in order to carry help with winning. Someone that can play solo at 67% is not "Just damage farming", they're doing what needs to be done in order to win 2/3 matches.

Edited by ff8ff8, Mar 30 2017 - 19:24.

KingtigerIVIV #46 Posted Mar 31 2017 - 19:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23246 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View Postff8ff8, on Mar 30 2017 - 18:23, said:

I think of this game, not as a 15 v 15 match, but as a series of smaller engagements that you have to win or support. This game is a 4v3 there, a 4v6 there, maybe a 7v2 in one section and 3 tanks roaming around. You have to figure out which fight to help and where to go in order to win.

All too often the terribad pubby will go "ahh, unicums are just damage farmers and stat farmers". The only thing that matters is winning, it just so happens that consistently doing top damage, securing kills and making smart trades in order to carry help with winning. Someone that can play solo at 67% is not "Just damage farming", they're doing what needs to be done in order to win 2/3 matches.

THIS, you have to create a series of overmatches where you can both win the engagement, and have the firepower/durability/positioning to effectively create another overmatch.  Also the bold part is the truth.

View PostGrasschopper, on Mar 30 2017 - 15:54, said:

It's actually a great post...thanks for sharing.  What I've found when platooning with unicum players is that they simply process EVERYTHING faster than I do...like lightyears faster.  I tooned with CrabEatOff for an hour or so and he wasn't just playing his tank but also telling me and another guy where to position due to what he was seeing around each of us...and doing it so fast that it was actually causing me to lock up and play worse initially.  And I'm that Blue you're talking about.  Your comment on passing up the low health IS-3 for a full health IS-6 on another flank is something I've literally never even considered.  It's always kill the next tank and keep moving.  Yes I've taken a shot and driven off because it left a tank as a 1 shot and there were 4 allies around him that SHOULD kill him before I reload (amazing how frequently they don't) so that I can pursue more damage.  But just heading another direction altogether in search of greater rewards is a concept I'm going to try to put into practice.

One thing Crab said/does and I see unicum get bashed for is running from a losing flank.  He talked about how it's very simple and all about counting.  If the green blob you're in is smaller than the red blob you're fighting then you probably need to leave and find a fight you can win.  I think that's the key...fight the battles you can win..and then find the next one and the next.  Fighting a battle you will probably lose does nothing for you or the team.

Tx! :) Re-positioning is one of the trickiest aspects of the game.  It's a fine line knowing when you can take that extra shot to finish someone off, or start running before you get swarmed.  You just have to feel the flow of the engagement and see how well your team is doing.  

KingtigerIVIV #47 Posted Mar 31 2017 - 19:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23246 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Also if you guys want me to write a detailed tank GAMEPLAY guide, like the IS-6 guide, please let me know.  :medal:

Necrodemus #48 Posted Mar 31 2017 - 21:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29478 battles

Truth of what gets ya to magical unicorn status....

EASY

find good players, good clan members, get the headset on and platoon

I have not played one platoon and I know I will never make it to Purple

KingtigerIVIV #49 Posted Apr 01 2017 - 02:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23246 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostNecrodemus, on Mar 31 2017 - 20:43, said:

Truth of what gets ya to magical unicorn status....

EASY

find good players, good clan members, get the headset on and platoon

I have not played one platoon and I know I will never make it to Purple

Sure, that's one way, but many players are not fortunate enough to have a guiding platoon mentor.  That's where I hope this guide can help those on the journey to purple.

And that's too bad if you think that you can never become purple.  If you try and stay positive, it can happen!

KingtigerIVIV #50 Posted Apr 18 2017 - 05:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23246 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostMatross, on Mar 30 2017 - 16:17, said:

^ This is why the tomatoes are the anti-unicums. There is no rhyme or reason.

There is no logic for tomatoes. They see red tank, and they think "oh, kill him, before he kills me". Unicums don't fear unicums, they fear hordes of tomatoes yoloing here, yoloing there, driving straight to here, driving there, derping this guy, kill that guy, shooting at this target... you fear what you don't know!

Sadly true though.

Edited by KingtigerIVIV, May 16 2017 - 20:43.

StoleYourFame #51 Posted Dec 04 2017 - 03:49

Private

• -Players-
  • 12434 battles

omg I broke the barrier.

http://wotlabs.net/n...r/StoleYourFame

foughtwolf #52 Posted Dec 04 2017 - 04:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9227 battles
  • [HCO] HCO

A lot of you are taking this as a meat beating gloatfest, its not. Its EXTREMELY true, and a grand reason why my stats are begun to shoot up once I started trying instead of dying for the 14 others on my team I couldnt trust to successfully piss in the ocean if they were swimming in it.

Only thing thats been listed here that doesnt work even solo is trying to create a hole. You cannot trust your team to assist you in that regard 90% of the time. In a platoon, you can more effectively wedge through a breakpoint and typically, when the pubs see more than one tank moving, they're more likely to actually move as well.

NeatoMan #53 Posted Dec 04 2017 - 04:47

Major

• Players
  • 26585 battles

View PostKingtigerIVIV, on Jan 09 2016 - 10:50, said:

Greens often don't even do things like taking team compositions into account at the start of the battle.  The difference in green to blue is mainly playing less sloppily in terms of actual combat, i.e, shooting accurately, consistently targeting weakspots, always maximizing armor effectiveness. 

In my case I'd say this is definitely true.  I peaked at teal/blue a long while ago.  At that time I would go through the enemy tank composition and try to predict which tanks were going to be where, and deploy accordingly.  I also kept up on weak spots, as well as strengths and weakness of enemy tanks.

After a while I let it all slide.  I haven't been keeping up with all the new lines or weak spots, and don't concentrate on the enemy lineup anymore.  I am pretty much just getting by using generally known knowledge to fight it out with whatever appears in front of me.  I will still adjust to the situation better than the average player, but I certainly don't plan ahead as much as I used to.  I have also gotten more impatient, especially with passive play on my teams.  It tends to make me more reckless.

The overall effect has been me leveling off at green, which pretty much coincides with how you described them.  Even if I had kept up with everything I doubt I would have gotten past blue.  I have a disdain for farming.  At the end of games I couldn't care less how many shots I farm off outnumbered tanks.  Unless I'm grinding out credits, I would take it easy when the victory was in sight, or go have some reckless fun.  It's why I never get mad at suiciders; it ends the battle sooner.

Striker_70 #54 Posted Dec 04 2017 - 20:15

Major

• Players
  • 19653 battles

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Feb 04 2017 - 07:12, said:

But these don't even need to be mentioned as these are basic things that teals and above just naturally do. I haven't played a less-than-elite tank in years, for instance.

Speak for yourself.  These are not things everyone does or can do, even if they're fully aware of the benefits of them. 

KingtigerIVIV #55 Posted Dec 17 2017 - 01:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23246 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
^

KingtigerIVIV #56 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 17:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23246 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostStoleYourFame, on Dec 04 2017 - 02:49, said:

omg I broke the barrier.

http://wotlabs.net/n...r/StoleYourFame

nice!

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #57 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 18:40

Major

• Players
  • 77807 battles

Good stuff. I see this is a really old thread, but I have only just seen it.

I'm greeny-bluish, and a lot of what you said rings true. Even with so many games under my belt, I have only just started to realize the importance of some of the points you make and I am still struggling to put those things into practice. Like you say, I would rather put a guaranteed damaging shot into the side of a tank than "waste" a shot tracking. It's a hard habit to break, just like some of the other points you make.

I personally don't care what color I am, however, I always want to get better at this game, and this is good info.

ggnnrrlauncher #58 Posted Mar 14 2018 - 05:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 24817 battles
  • [VLCTY] VLCTY

Excellent write up, I returned after a years hiatus and have been plateauing at around 1800 WN8 for the last 5k battles.

I'm trying to keep map awareness in mind but still all too often I find myself the last tank alive on a flank with friendly corpses around me and +3 enemies ready to rush me.

I've found your suggestion of practising with the autoloaders really helpful as the AMX 50 and the BC 25 AP both force me to take a break every once in a while to consider the situation and have the speed to influence the map as needed.

Creeper_Peaper_Reeper #59 Posted Mar 14 2018 - 18:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9953 battles

Awesome I needed this. I will play well then throw a game by not thinking and rushing in. I am more cautious and look at the lineup and figire out where I can farm. Cant wait to get home and try these out.

KingtigerIVIV #60 Posted Apr 05 2018 - 14:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23246 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostCreeper_Peaper_Reeper, on Mar 14 2018 - 17:25, said:

Awesome I needed this. I will play well then throw a game by not thinking and rushing in. I am more cautious and look at the lineup and figire out where I can farm. Cant wait to get home and try these out.

View Postggnnrrlauncher, on Mar 14 2018 - 04:46, said:

Excellent write up, I returned after a years hiatus and have been plateauing at around 1800 WN8 for the last 5k battles.

I'm trying to keep map awareness in mind but still all too often I find myself the last tank alive on a flank with friendly corpses around me and +3 enemies ready to rush me.

I've found your suggestion of practising with the autoloaders really helpful as the AMX 50 and the BC 25 AP both force me to take a break every once in a while to consider the situation and have the speed to influence the map as needed.

View PostLesser_Spotted_Panzer, on Mar 06 2018 - 17:40, said:

Good stuff. I see this is a really old thread, but I have only just seen it.

I'm greeny-bluish, and a lot of what you said rings true. Even with so many games under my belt, I have only just started to realize the importance of some of the points you make and I am still struggling to put those things into practice. Like you say, I would rather put a guaranteed damaging shot into the side of a tank than "waste" a shot tracking. It's a hard habit to break, just like some of the other points you make.

I personally don't care what color I am, however, I always want to get better at this game, and this is good info.

Thank you all for the feedback! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users