• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

dstud208 #41 Posted Jan 25 2016 - 22:19

Captain

• Players
  • 17784 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO

3 things:

First - apple doesn't just toss out the "broken" computers, if they do swap it out for a new one then the old "broken" one gets wiped, fixed, and sold again on the refurbished store for a discount (after much testing to ensure its "like-new" - Need proof? Go to the refurbished store.

Second - Apple does care about the customer, they care a LOT about the customer. I had a few dead pixels in my screen and they gave me a new screen, no questions asked, for free. They employ several "genius's" that you can go talk to at any time (appointment required) for FREE for repair advice, how to use software, etc. Pretty much any concern you could ever have can be answered at the genius bar for FREE and in a timely manner. A friend of mine used to work the genius bar and believe me, they [are told to] care.

Third - I just swapped out the hard drive and ram on my wifes 5 year old computer. The think runs like its brand new again and is favourably spec'd to brand new computers such as the ThinkPad. It cost me $160 for everything, so to date we have sunk about $1300 into it which isn't too bad when after 5 years you STILL have a brand new (performing) computer. Thats even cheap by "PC - standards", its run like new the entire time and never felt "old". She has even spilled fruit juice on it (2 years ago). Thats quality.

Edited by dstud208, Jan 25 2016 - 22:22.

Infinite_JEST #42 Posted Jan 29 2016 - 22:10

Private

• -Players-
  • 4380 battles
  • [MILKY] MILKY
Thanks to black_colt for putting up a reasonable defense of Macs, and thanks to dstud208 for being fair minded and putting things into perspective.  Frankly, I don't understand the adolescent trash talking about Mac vs. PC.

black_colt #43 Posted Jan 29 2016 - 23:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostInfinite_JEST, on Jan 29 2016 - 22:10, said:

Thanks to black_colt for putting up a reasonable defense of Macs, and thanks to dstud208 for being fair minded and putting things into perspective.  Frankly, I don't understand the adolescent trash talking about Mac vs. PC.

Infinite_JEST,

Welcome - was not defending Macs - rather wanted the questions or challenges to be professional, non-personal, and intellectually honest so we could better focus on the technical issue and how to fix for the readers/participants of the WoT Mac Wrapper Forum.

My definition of intellectually-honest is pointing out errors or omissions in the facts and logic used.

Edited by black_colt, Jan 30 2016 - 00:08.

DennisMccue #44 Posted Feb 16 2016 - 02:24

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

An article I read from Consumers Report stated that the Mac computers last up to three times longer than a PC because of their

better components.   And as a user of both, they are right.

ThE_MarD #45 Posted Feb 18 2016 - 02:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15972 battles
  • [TBR] TBR

Heyyo,

View PostDennisMccue, on Feb 15 2016 - 18:24, said:

An article I read from Consumers Report stated that the Mac computers last up to three times longer than a PC because of their

better components.   And as a user of both, they are right.

That's completely false... they use the same hardware as any PC. Back in the day? Yeah they did have specialized processors, architecture and all that... but open them up? Intel processors, AMD GPUs and such. The only difference between them now is the chassis, power cord and software.

http://www.apple.com...o/specs-retina/

Latest Macbook Pro... one year warranty for the most expensive model $3409 CAD

http://www.ncix.com/...116922-1374.htm

Same price of MBP $3409 CAD and also has one year of warranty.... BUT, that one year includes accidental damage.

asus-zenbook-nx500jk

1 year Accidental Damage Protection with 30 days Zero Bright Dot Guarantee for warranty protection against drops, spills and electrical surges while ensuring a flawless display 

So yeah... the only real difference these days is software and I guess accidental damage warranty. Apple costs more because they focus on the specifics of workstation market and the way they market their culture... but their hardware is just as likely to fail as any other PC. Before when they used hard drives and not SSD's? Sure, they used workstation quality HDD's... but SSD's these days have pretty darn ridiculous reliability so there isn't much in difference between workstation and not workstation SSD's as there is in HDD's...

Also tagged with Mac, PC, Windows

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users