Map Ballot: Share Your Expertise!

• Please log in to reply
638 replies to this topic

Content_WG #1 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 18:24

Wargaming America

• Administrator
  • 0 battles

Make your voice heard and contribute to future map development in World of Tanks!

Full news text

Buttknuckle #2 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 18:30

Major

• Players
  • 52401 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

POPULAR

My concern is the poll suggests that WG is looking to remove 5 more maps. Please stop removing maps. Would rather have you guys work on a method to improve/increase map rotation. Few people mind if they occasionally get a map they personally consider to be bad. What sets them off is seeing the same map in 4 out of 10 games.

SlyGambit #3 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 18:30

Captain

• Players
  • 30142 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

POPULAR

I tried voting for Windstorm 5 times. 

Please add more open map areas so we can actually use vision and camo and be able to flex around the map.   Please avoid corridor maps.  Like Windstorm.  Which is awful.

Also if you could remove 90% of the rubble on Stalingrad roads.  While it adds to the war torn city effect I don't enjoy getting my very large tank stuck on a very small piece of cement.  It certainly reduces my enjoyment of that map.

Edited by SlyGambit, Jan 22 2016 - 18:31.

Plays_With_Matches #4 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 18:37

Major

• Players
  • 29851 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

POPULAR

I have a couple of comments.

1. I generally like most of the maps (unless I am in arty on Himmelsdorf or winter Himmelsdorf)

2. I think the biggest improvement would be to increase the number of maps in the rotation. I know there are 40ish maps but when you get the same map 3 times in a row (and the same side) it starts getting really old.

3. If your going to remove maps, please remove the small ones (Ensk... looking at you). It's only 1/3 of the playable area of most of the other maps.

4. Please don't introduce anymore maps that are less that 1km x 1km, It would be nice to start seeing a few larger ones. Maybe 1.2km x 1.2km

5. Please stop redoing the maps and removing all of the softcover... seriously, we could use a few more bushes and trees.

6. It would be really, really nice to be able to launch into a training room solo so that you can explore the maps without having to drag a partner along.

PS: on a separate note please bring back the forum neg rep button.

That's all. Thanks

Edited by Gord1973, Jan 22 2016 - 19:01.

power_Donky #5 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 18:39

Major

• Players
  • 25981 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK

POPULAR

BRING BACK PORT

ClydeCooper421 #6 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 18:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 14804 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD

Malinovka is awesome. One of the few maps where you can play vision control games and is very balanced in terms of favoritism towards various vehicle types.

I voted for

Stalingrad

Kharkov

Windstorm

Serene Coast

Fisherman's Bay

Probably my least favorite map is Kharkov. IMO it's very unbalanced and hard to play vision control games. I want Southcoast back. I got my record kills on that map. 

Edited by ClydeCooper421, Jan 22 2016 - 18:51.

Isola_di_Fano #7 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 18:52

Major

• Players
  • 24378 battles
make maps more fluid, less corridors

CAttack1 #8 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 18:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 26631 battles
  • [RUBLE] RUBLE

Get rid of Mountain Pass and similar corridor maps. There's no way to flank; you're forced to face heavies and heavily armored TDs from the front in your mediums and lights.

Also, add more bushes to maps. Currently, there are only a couple very good spotting locations per map. Make more of them.

Get rid of Ensk, too. It's too tiny; in any high-tier game, you can almost be auto-spotted anywhere on the map due to high viewranges.

Edited by CAttack1, Jan 22 2016 - 18:54.

Wesha #9 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 18:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 46119 battles
  • [SU-26] SU-26

View PostSlyGambit, on Jan 22 2016 - 11:30, said:

Please add more open map areas so we can actually use vision and camo

You misspelled "so artillery can pummel the slow heavy tanks and TDs (like T95) to dust before they have even a slightest chance to get to any type of cover".

Wargene #10 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 18:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10229 battles
Lol you say that their are 40 maps in this game, yet you fail to mention only 5 are in the map rotation.

Cutthroatlemur #11 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 19:00

Major

• Players
  • 19720 battles

POPULAR

Incoming suggestions - after I get home from work...

OK I'm back now. 

Regarding how to fix maps, I am going to essentially re-post an idea I proposed on these forums almost 3 years ago (with fixed links).

My original post got some positive feedback at the time and I think the concept still has merit.  Here goes:

I have a fairly simple idea that I think would great for the WOT maps.
Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT a game designer and do not know if this is possible.  Also it would not work well for all maps, particularly maps with huge terrain divisions such as Mountain Pass ...

Firstly here is my thinking on the subject.
I would love to have more new maps, or variety within the current maps.  However I also appreciate the advantage that is gained by knowing the maps well in each battle.  So I wondered how WG could spice up the existing maps to give players both variety and familiarity.  This is partially accomplished by moving the spawing/starting points in the maps (like in Encounter/Assault Battles) however I think this concept could be expanded.

My suggestion is twofold.  Firstly, take the current maps and expand them in all directions with the current map centered.  Secondly, keep the boundaries of the battlefield the same dimensions but move that battlefield around the new map randomly at the start of the battle.

This would give each map a section of well know and established territory as well as new areas to fight in.  Each battle could be a little different depending upon where the boundaries fall each time.  This would allow players to use the cover and tactics that they are accustomed to but also allow for new strategies as alternate paths of advance are opened up or closed off.

Here are a couple of images that I have created to illustrate this idea using Widepark as an example.
(just photoshopped some new terrain)

First, the expanded map with the current map centered, outlined in Red:

And now showing how the battle area could move around.

What do you folks think?  Thanks for all input, positive or neg.

Edited by Cutthroatlemur, Jan 23 2016 - 05:16.

Verblonde #12 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 19:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 17996 battles
  • [FUNTB] FUNTB

In no particular order:

More maps, not fewer, is good; this goes double at lower tiers. Stop removing maps and add more; I much prefer unbalanced maps to no maps. Variety is the single most important thing.

Give us some (not all) maps that favour particular classes of vehicle; at the moment, there are far too many that favour close in brawlers and not nearly enough that favour TDs and anything that snipes (or scouts passively).

In light of the above, mix them up randomly: it is much more interesting if you sometimes get a map that is perfect for the vehicle you picked, and sometimes get one that is wildly unfavourable - it helps you become a better player.

To reiterate: there *need* to be more maps at lower tiers; this is for several reasons: First, don't turn off new players with the same d**n thing over and over again; second, even experienced players want to occasionally give a lower tier vehicle a lash and if you give them the same maps that they know backwards it makes it far easier to seal club (this isn't a good thing) and third, you devalue the occasional freebie tanks you give out if there are no good and varied maps to play them on.

Finally, whatever changes get made, please ensure that they do not end up favouring one vehicle class disproportionately over another - I want variety and to have a chance of winning, whatever vehicle I play (skill permitting); if I want to win, I shouldn't have to always pick some monster brawling heavy and nothing else.

shooterc25 #13 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 19:02

Sergeant

• Players
  • 70123 battles
  • [BRT] BRT
Just more maps in general 

SparkyGT #14 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 19:06

Major

• Players
  • 51882 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-

how about a complete map poll, those that are the least liked remove those maps for a few weeks in rotation,  have a poll about the removed maps to bring back.

Adding "NEW"  maps because they have fire or snow on them doesnt add to the map experience,  himmelsdorf is still himmelsdorf if it rains, snows, is on fire, floods, sleet, fog  or sunny.

Kramburglar #15 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 19:06

Major

• Players
  • 28726 battles

View PostWesha, on Jan 22 2016 - 12:56, said:

You misspelled "so artillery can pummel the slow heavy tanks and TDs (like T95) to dust before they have even a slightest chance to get to any type of cover".

Open != flat with no cover

Corridor maps can be just as horrible for dealing with arty, as choke points can be pre-aimed pretty easily

Ideally, map design should have each map have areas where different tanks can each do well rather than WG "balancing" map design by having one class suck on one map type and then doing well on another.

PAVSon #16 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 19:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17924 battles
  • [T-BB] T-BB

Modify whatever you think is necessary and I'll adapt to it . . . but please stop removing maps! Add all the maps you want . . . but please stop removing maps!

Blackhorse_Six_ #17 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 19:08

Major

• Players
  • 50391 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

Of course there are maps which we favor less than others.

Mittengard is a fun fur-ball, but we believe that it teaches newcomers the wrong things, lending in-part, to the abysmal level of play in subsequent tiers, especially among those racing up the tech trees.

MMHT #18 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 19:13

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13944 battles

Where is Lakeville on the list? Because I despise having one lane of action on any map that is completely removed from the other areas (i.e., Lakeville valley).  I would like to see a road that leads from the high ground in the middle of the valley to the middle section of the lake road.  

Others I voted for:

Fjords- I don't mind asymmetry in map design but this one is too vastly different between spawns, imo.

Highway- because the brawl-friendly area is tucked away in the bottom corner of a large map.

Ensk- It bothers me when there are clear lanes of vision and fire from one spawn to the other.  This map also sucks for tanks that don't like to brawl, because that's all that happens here.

Kelts #19 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 19:13

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30096 battles
  • [-STAB] -STAB
Malinovka is the worst map by far. That darn hill climb is by far the worst 3 minutes of the game. At lease fill the west lake so we could somewhat use the west side of the map besides camping the field..

SparkyGT #20 Posted Jan 22 2016 - 19:14

Major

• Players
  • 51882 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-

another thing would be nice, showing us which maps are on rotation, yes people may choose certain tanks in anticipation, some of us may stay offline. 

If we ever got to choose which maps we wanted to play, WG would find out really fast which ones arent liked.

Edited by SparkyGT, Jan 22 2016 - 19:14.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users