Tank Posters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

blackfalconjc #1 Posted Jan 24 2016 - 23:07

Captain

• Players
  • 7504 battles
  • [WW2AR] WW2AR

Heyo, so I'm totally in London and got to see the Imperial War Museum today. Awesome stuff, couple nice tanks!

But while I was there, I totally saw an awesome idea that been running around in my head ever sense. Both World Wars saw extensive use of propaganda posters to help recruitment in their armed forces. Many represent quite nice works of art as well, heck even Norman Rockwell joined in in the US. They had one for Tank corp recruiting, and since I love my Brit tanks in game, heck!

So I started a rough copy tonight, basic idea is to replicate the basic look and feel of the classic WW2 poster:

If you have an idea/photo that you think would work well for this, post your work here, or shoot me a ping with the photo/text, along with the historical inspiration and I will see what I can do with it. Please note that any requests having to do with any national party lines will be ignored, so Werhaboos beware! :D

Edited by blackfalconjc, Jan 24 2016 - 23:10.

Xeraux #2 Posted Jan 24 2016 - 23:10

Major

• Players
  • 24983 battles
  • [INTEL] INTEL

It doesn't work for me. Either the photo has to be colored, or the text has to be black and white too. Then again, I'm a scumbag elitist and perfectionist, so what do I know.

blackfalconjc #3 Posted Jan 24 2016 - 23:17

Captain

• Players
  • 7504 battles
  • [WW2AR] WW2AR

View PostXeraux, on Jan 24 2016 - 17:10, said:

It doesn't work for me. Either the photo has to be colored, or the text has to be black and white too. Then again, I'm a scumbag elitist and perfectionist, so what do I know.

Well pointed, but changing the text color unfortunately makes it very hard to read.... I tried that while putting it together. The top text bars replicate what I saw on the original, and I just nabbed a screenshot of the Firefly I had laying around. Ideally the tank(s) would be drawn in a retro style as well.

killswitch95 #4 Posted Jan 24 2016 - 23:19

Major

• Players
  • 38491 battles
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI

"Life is amusing"

Edited by killswitch95, Jan 24 2016 - 23:31.

Xeraux #5 Posted Jan 24 2016 - 23:24

Major

• Players
  • 24983 battles
  • [INTEL] INTEL

View Postblackfalconjc, on Jan 24 2016 - 14:17, said:

Well pointed, but changing the text color unfortunately makes it very hard to read.... I tried that while putting it together. The top text bars replicate what I saw on the original, and I just nabbed a screenshot of the Firefly I had laying around. Ideally the tank(s) would be drawn in a retro style as well.

Gotcha. Assumed it'd be something like that.

killswitch95 #6 Posted Jan 24 2016 - 23:44

Major

• Players
  • 38491 battles
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI
I see you down there RitaGamer, stalking the NA Server huehuehue

Urdr #7 Posted Jan 25 2016 - 01:25

Major

• Players
  • 47865 battles

Retro propaganda best propaganda

Amazing pic OP

+1

scorchedearth666 #8 Posted Feb 03 2019 - 15:54

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
I believe that all history should be preserved and that even the Third Reich propaganda material should be preserved for future Generations 2 learn from; not in just posters but in places like the Holocaust Museum's the Smithsonian and the like. and they also believe that the average citizen like myself who has had family members in World War II would have a right to have propaganda posters of all countries of World War II esp the Third Reich  for  understanding  of the development of their belief system. If all information about World War II were to 2 be forgotten it would be like erasing the 50 million, mostly citizens  either bombed or murdered buy both the Soviets and the Germans there would undoubtedly occur another Holocaust. As a matter of fact look at the Hussein Regine Chairman Mao or the Khmer Rouge led by a man who was warped as mr. Hitler and believed in his heart he was doing the right thing. That kind of fanatical ideology will never leave the Earth. Aside from chimpanzees  as an an example [edited]sapiens are inherently evil at times and a minority of them feel Warfare is just and right no matter the cost.. in rare cases soldiers who are trained to be killers will at times almost enjoy the thrill of killing. Most life on Earth kills for survival we kill at times just for the enjoyment of killing. We as  having the most biologically developed brain on Earth at times possess in an intense feeling through seemingly unending periods of rest and then the immediate necessity 2 survive the day in battle probably unknowingly until later that it has had a profound change in they're life."PTSD" experience case and point .the stressful situations especially those poor young men returning from Vietnam who were spit on after watching their buddies get their legs and arms and eyes blown-up makes it inevitable that some of these guys had a propensity for violence which was no fault of theirs just a reaction caused by gruesome periods in the field and that's probably why many of them do not like the 4th of July and all the m-80s firecrackers such. The Duality of mankind; and the natural way our minds have developed ; I learned during my psychology schooling in college and ironically in the Stanley Kubrick film Full Metal Jacket when hearing it from Joker in the movie Platoon where he wears a peace sign around his neck and Born To Kill on his pot or helmet as referred to by the public. There are good and bad and there are individuals with  evil fanatical ideologies which are impossible for the average human 2 understand. I learned many years ago in psychology there are two directions in which a child naturally cared for and treated and that is the nature nurture Theory which has been proven.. it's plain to see what Hitler experienced through his father's beatings and his mother's doting. talk about screwing up someone's head and turning them into a confused monster .If we ignore these facts and forget about the past and destroy knowledge of these historical events especially in the most violent Century in human history we betray the memory of those lost on foreign soil which although no more no more different than World War2 which  simply breaks down into  friend and foe and the individual military man to kill or be killed. For myself  the average Wermach  Soldier like most soldiers  in the backyards  of other countries who probably eventually was not fighting for Germany but fighting for his life. Those are the tragedies of War and I may be criticized but I do believe that Third Reich propaganda posters in a free country with free speech should never be denied access to. just to see Joseph Goebbels fine work in the art of propaganda and I don't say that in a positive light but it is historic and important and my opinion is that all symbols  and propaganda should be exposed as what they are and that includes the Third Reich which had Joseph Goebbels signature. So yes let the world C fanatical hateful pieces of artwork if you will and allow people tangible evidence of the past. people can disagree that is their right and they are entitled to evidence. Auschwitz was kept intact to memorialize the Millions of people murdered, and a great cause of that was from the huge amount of false propaganda do the duping of the average German citizen. Thank you for reading this and God bless and I  apologize for such a long post but I felt I needed to put this opinion out there for people to think about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users