I dont understand

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Callyx #1 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 07:58

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11628 battles

Im a newer player, couple of months, and not a good one either, but ive noticed something that i dont understand. In a lot of the matches i play there are people sitting at the back, or on spawn, that wait until the battle is decided to do anything. I notice this done in all tank types and mostly at mid tier battles. The players that are doing it, for the most part, are quite a bit better than i am and often are in clans. In general i thought these people should know what they are doing so what am i missing.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Cryotoad #2 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 08:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21817 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE
Could be connection issues crashing them at the beginning of the match (happened to one of our guys during a CW battle this evening x_x). More than likely though it's someone who's just looking to pad their damage and kills at the end of the game by sniping damaged vehicles and cleaning up whatever is leftover at little risk to themselves. Alternately, someone could have bought the account off of a good player and the new owner has no clue what they're doing.

uberdice #3 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 08:05

Major

• Players
  • 24768 battles

View PostCallyx, on Feb 04 2016 - 16:58, said:

Im a newer player, couple of months, and not a good one either, but ive noticed something that i dont understand. In a lot of the matches i play there are people sitting at the back, or on spawn, that wait until the battle is decided to do anything. I notice this done in all tank types and mostly at mid tier battles. The players that are doing it, for the most part, are quite a bit better than i am and often are in clans. In general i thought these people should know what they are doing so what am i missing.

Those players are usually terrible, and their clans are usually the same skill level as they are.

You'll find that good players tend to be at or near the front lines punching the enemy team in the face, or bouncing around the map being a nuisance to the enemy team wherever they can.

Harkonen_siegetank #4 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 08:14

Major

• Players
  • 28023 battles
  • [_LOL_] _LOL_

View PostCallyx, on Feb 04 2016 - 01:58, said:

Focus on yourself than others. Also dont trust XVM.

Tachibana_DTF #5 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 08:37

• -Players-
  • 3621 battles
  • [NEET] NEET
Nothing wrong with protecting an important flank like the cap or the back door man. 

Ray_PhotoGoth #6 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 09:03

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 23428 battles
Ask them for s'mores.

I got to like these people (until the recent rental scourge) when I would charge down a line with my T28 and just farm damage. Try getting the AT2 and doing the same thing*. Doesn't always work, but when it does, it's hilarious.

*only good for tier 5 matches

Edited by RayWendy, Feb 04 2016 - 09:04.

shinglefoot #7 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 09:13

Major

• Players
  • 22843 battles
  • [LONER] LONER
     Base campers are horrible regardless of their stats, which are usually also horrible.

zed2204 #8 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 09:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 40493 battles
  • [LIO] LIO
Exept the cap mushrooms (arty) everything else is just very misguided people thinking that is the way to farm damage, for cap camping I mean.
Rear position, for TDs depends on targets available and generally the saturation of tanks in the flank, sometimes makes sense, most time it dosent
Mostly just people that don't know what to do

Sink_Stuff #9 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 09:57

Captain

• Players
  • 12883 battles

View PostCallyx, on Feb 04 2016 - 06:58, said:

What they are doing, that apparently no one here wants to tell you, is what is called, "Farming for Damage". All they give a damn about is increasing their win 8 score. So, they drive whatever tank is good for win 8 scores. If they think the match is hopeless anyway, they will find a place to camp and wait. They don't give a damn about the game, or you, they just wait until they can click off as much damage as possible before they die. 

You see, they can get a positive win rate from platooning in OP tanks at low tier. But other higher tier tanks are better for increasing win 8. Now, if they are in a platoon, they may not do this. They mostly do this solo. But don't do this because it is actually not the best way to get better or to get more damage. You will actually get a lot more damage simply learning to be a better player and doing all you can during the whole game. 

Now don't get all upset at them just yet. If they see that the team is mostly filled with completely unskilled players, they have every right not to give a damn about the game. Why? Because players with less than 200 win 8 obviously don't care about the game either enough to get better in the first place. Why should good players care about ultra crappy players games, when those ultra crappy players don't even really care enough about their own games enough to stop being crappy in the first place? They have no obligation to do anything at all for you. You're not their boss,and they are not some employee, and no matter what they drive they don't have a JOB that someone says they are supposed to do. This is a free to play game and they can play it anyway they want, total tomato, or purple pro if they can. You have no obligation to them, and they have no obligation to you. I know, you think I'm completely wrong. So will tons of other people.

However, think about this. This game now gives you personal missions. Missions every weekend now for personal rewards. Those missions are often in direct conflict with what other players will want you to do with your tank. Do you complete the missions? Of course you do, because that is the only way to get the reward. Sadly, the nature of this game is for you to help yourself. Right now you are mad at players that you think are better than you. But one day, you will get better, perhaps you will be the best player on your team. Let me tell you, you will get completely tired of feeling like you are the one that has to carry every single game that you play in, carry, or be a top 3 person for damage or the game will certainly lose. When you get to that frustration point (which I haven't even gotten good enough to reach yet) then you will only do whatever the hell you please because you are simply tired of other players dumping their own responsibility for doing well in the game always upon your shoulders just like you are doing in this very post right now.

Edited by Rounne, Feb 04 2016 - 10:01.

Reaper2_5 #10 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 11:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10501 battles
  • [HOWDO] HOWDO

Some players experience time-outs, crashes, or otherwise have difficulty getting into match.  These are more common than you'd think.  Even players with pretty good computers and fast and reliable hardlined internet have these crashes sometimes.

Otherwise, there are three main groups of these players you might be running into.

1.) The higher stats players are likely players who Seal Club at low tiers to boost their stats but then have zero clue how to play any tank above tier 5.  So their stats show them as "good", but their gameplay is worse than most.

2.) Statpadders.  These are players who try to let the team do most of the heavy lifting while they "snipe" for easy damage at everyone elses expense and then sweep in at the end and snatch up easy kills.  They don't care about winning or losing or the teams, just boosting their E-Peens and getting a new pretty color to post in their forums sigs.  These are some of the most cancerous players because they will get very angry if you question their ignorance.  Often they follow you to the garage and teach even some retired military people new swear words.

3.) Idiots.  They can talk a big game, but seriously, these players haven't left base because they don't know where "WASD" is on the keyboard and had to hunt and peck to move their tanks.

General advice, just ignore them.  All three of them will become extreme butthurt if you call them out on their poor choices and likely harass you in garage about it.  I've had one that actually spent three entire hours spamming messages in my garage about it.  For some reason, he didn't catch on to "lol" as my only response to every string of swear words he sent me.  And I assure you, there is no way you can convince them to help the team.  I've tried.

Cryotoad #11 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 18:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21817 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

View PostRounne, on Feb 04 2016 - 03:57, said:

What they are doing, that apparently no one here wants to tell you, is what is called, "Farming for Damage". All they give a damn about is increasing their win 8 score. 

lol. What's reading comprehension?

View PostCryotoad, on Feb 04 2016 - 02:01, said:

More than likely though it's someone who's just looking to pad their damage and kills at the end of the game by sniping damaged vehicles and cleaning up whatever is leftover at little risk to themselves.

zed2204 #12 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 18:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 40493 battles
  • [LIO] LIO
But that doesn't work, playing that way won't give you much WN8, why people Still believe that
In a small portion of the games you will be in a good situation and farm, in the majority you will be either:
Left behind as your team moves
Be overwhelmed when the flank falls
Or rarely do kill all the enemys left but for that to happen they must be pretty low so won't farm much damage
The only way to pad your stats is to be front line, you may leave your Allies to take the hits and other scumbag stuff but Base camp won't give you much

Spiley_Craw #13 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 19:15

Major

• Players
  • 24445 battles
  • [NBL] NBL

Sometimes they are trying to farm kills too - hoping that the enemy will break through one side,

and there will be a bunch of heavily damaged tanks they can kill.

In any case, they are usually idiots. Get used to that, lots of idiots in WoT.

-Kle.

jdubthegreat #14 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 19:29

Major

• Players
  • 41678 battles

Believe it or not, some of the really good players like to sit back and conserve HP while figuring out where the enemy is and work out possible gaps or weaknesses to exploit (the horror!).  

Good players don't become good by sitting at cap all game.  It just doesn't work like that.

HereticVoid #15 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 20:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12838 battles
  • [P2WIN] P2WIN

View Postjdubthegreat, on Feb 04 2016 - 19:29, said:

Believe it or not, some of the really good players like to sit back and conserve HP while figuring out where the enemy is and work out possible gaps or weaknesses to exploit (the horror!).  

Good players don't become good by sitting at cap all game.  It just doesn't work like that.

I believe he is referring more to those that stay at or near the cap or even at he red line chai sniping. Besides even when decking such things good players can always do damage from range. Most of the exploits are usually reactionary or split sec choices to make an exploit any how. 

TankFullOfBourbon #16 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 20:20

Major

• Players
  • 26176 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
They are campers. It's an awful folly.

Zzzzz_man #17 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 20:53

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12536 battles

View PostRounne, on Feb 04 2016 - 03:57, said:

What they are doing, that apparently no one here wants to tell you, is what is called, "Farming for Damage". All they give a damn about is increasing their win 8 score. So, they drive whatever tank is good for win 8 scores. If they think the match is hopeless anyway, they will find a place to camp and wait. They don't give a damn about the game, or you, they just wait until they can click off as much damage as possible before they die.

You see, they can get a positive win rate from platooning in OP tanks at low tier. But other higher tier tanks are better for increasing win 8. Now, if they are in a platoon, they may not do this. They mostly do this solo. But don't do this because it is actually not the best way to get better or to get more damage. You will actually get a lot more damage simply learning to be a better player and doing all you can during the whole game. 

Now don't get all upset at them just yet. If they see that the team is mostly filled with completely unskilled players, they have every right not to give a damn about the game. Why? Because players with less than 200 win 8 obviously don't care about the game either enough to get better in the first place. Why should good players care about ultra crappy players games, when those ultra crappy players don't even really care enough about their own games enough to stop being crappy in the first place? They have no obligation to do anything at all for you. You're not their boss,and they are not some employee, and no matter what they drive they don't have a JOB that someone says they are supposed to do. This is a free to play game and they can play it anyway they want, total tomato, or purple pro if they can. You have no obligation to them, and they have no obligation to you. I know, you think I'm completely wrong. So will tons of other people.

However, think about this. This game now gives you personal missions. Missions every weekend now for personal rewards. Those missions are often in direct conflict with what other players will want you to do with your tank. Do you complete the missions? Of course you do, because that is the only way to get the reward. Sadly, the nature of this game is for you to help yourself. Right now you are mad at players that you think are better than you. But one day, you will get better, perhaps you will be the best player on your team. Let me tell you, you will get completely tired of feeling like you are the one that has to carry every single game that you play in, carry, or be a top 3 person for damage or the game will certainly lose. When you get to that frustration point (which I haven't even gotten good enough to reach yet) then you will only do whatever the hell you please because you are simply tired of other players dumping their own responsibility for doing well in the game always upon your shoulders just like you are doing in this very post right now.

Wat?  Whining again?  I thought you uninstalled?

_Prometh3us #18 Posted Feb 04 2016 - 21:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17566 battles

Really situational. Sometimes depending on the tank im in, and map im playing ill either be punching the main line brawling with heavies, using a medium thats decently armored to outplay theirs, or if Im in a TD ill sit back at a crossing point for the enemies, or support the flank of my team pushing. Usually in tanks such as my batchat or leo, i tend to flank and wait for the battle lines to get established and then ill see what i can do. No point in wasting a great tank right off the bat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users